jets season is over

jets rooter

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick is obviously done here unlike others I knew this long ago even last season 10 wins against sh*t is 10 wins against sh*t. 

What is  your strength Tinman. 

Hopefully, rational thought > I got a bad temper, so I either keep it under rams or be someone's female dog in prison  . "Be angry, but sin not" .  I have found something to help .

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He's counted on his defense to make stops late in games and punted. But guess what, his defense was making stops in the second half today. It wasn't insane to think they could get the ball back. I'm not even saying that he shouldn't have punted. But the only reason people don't like it is because they didn't get the ball back. It was not a terrible decision at the time. It was the Dolphins, not the Patriots they were punting to. You judge the decision, not the result. Anyone can Monday morning QB anything that happens. 

People acting like that was an awful decision aren't being fair. It wasn't a ridiculous call to do that.

My biggest problem with the coaching today is that they went away from Forte, particularly in the red zone.

I don't thionk that was coaching, but the actions of a Veteran QB who saw a crowded box and audibled away from running plays.  It happened every time .

5 minutes ago, Clueless Owner said:

They have a decent GM.  Now if the owner can allow the GM to hire a decent HC, progress can be made

Decent GM? This guy signed FUTZ for $12MM bidding against himself.

He turned from a 3/4 to a 4/3 without getting the right players in here

4 QB's on the roster and the worst one plays as the starter

Signed Mo when he was already tendered the FT

Heis in over his head 

20 minutes ago, Clueless Owner said:

They have a decent GM.  Now if the owner can allow the GM to hire a decent HC, progress can be made

The Jets are never going to have any longterm success if they fire the coach at the first sign of trouble. Thats what the Browns do. Look at them.

You have to let a coach try and fix things. They won 2 in a row before this game. This season hasn't gone their way. The reaction can't always be to fire everyone.

Jets fans will never give anyone a chance.

Honestly, I feel like the only type of coach who the fans will give some time to would be a coach who came here with multiple championships under his belt. That might buy him a season or two. Otherwise, any coach who comes here better win right away and show no signs of trouble.

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

It was over when they lost to the Cardinals. Bowles has to stop being stubborn and play Petty. Give Hack some reps too. Let's face it, there is no chance whatsoever that Fitz will be on the roster next year, so continuing to start him makes zero sense. There's no better way to get Hack and Petty ready to be starters than giving them action in what are now meaningless games left on the schedule. To not do so is inexcusable. 

It's about time the front office makes that move.

I agree that the coaches should stay for continuity.  The front office has to be willing to allow their team to do a full rebuild.  No more purchasing high priced free agents, no more losing out on comp picks.  Trade the old players that we have that still have value (Mangold, Revis, Marshal) and just go full on with the youth movement the way we were doing in 2014.  Dump salary and push it to the future.  Hell, even look to trade down as much as possible so as to accumulate a lot of youth.

Oakland has just performed this exact thing and it took several seasons of being terrible about 4-5 years ago to finally assemble a nice young nucleus.  

I don't care about winning anymore.  I just want to see some glimmer of hope for the future, b/c right now we are an old team getting older, with very little young talent, a bad salary situation and not many draft picks for the future.  Just the pits.  Cleveland is in a better spot than we are for the future!

I agree that the coaches should stay for continuity.  The front office has to be willing to allow their team to do a full rebuild.  No more purchasing high priced free agents, no more losing out on comp picks.  Trade the old players that we have that still have value (Mangold, Revis, Marshal) and just go full on with the youth movement the way we were doing in 2014.  Dump salary and push it to the future.  Hell, even look to trade down as much as possible so as to accumulate a lot of youth.
Oakland has just performed this exact thing and it took several seasons of being terrible about 4-5 years ago to finally assemble a nice young nucleus.  
I don't care about winning anymore.  I just want to see some glimmer of hope for the future, b/c right now we are an old team getting older, with very little young talent, a bad salary situation and not many draft picks for the future.  Just the pits.  Cleveland is in a better spot than we are for the future!

Watching the raiders right now and I'm thinks by he same thing. It's time to let go of high priced veterans and abandon the "competitive rebuild" idea. Let's reset the table rather than buying used China from the Bears' yard sales.

And what's more ... the raiders are playing fun entertaining football. What sickens me more losing is watching week after week of bad ugly football

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, jets rooter said:

I myself and other jet fans have had it with the way this team is run. when will the jets hire talented people like the patriots,broncos etc.that make their teams perennial winners every year.

When Woody Johnson sells the team. All problems either start at the top or are fixed at the top. Woody Johnson doesn't think there is anything wrong and is just glad to be a part of the NFL. When you don't think there is anything wrong with the way you operate as a franchise there's no need to fix it right? Woody thinks everything is all right.

I'm all for giving people a fair chance but really, the guy flat out can not Coach. The lack of basic discipline for a start. How many personal foul penalties?

The zero in game adjustments, the very poor time management. These are basic requirements for an Head Coach, no matter how bad your team is. Bowles has shown time and again he's got none of these skills.

The continual return to the empty well that's Fitzpatrick, the Interception machine. I mean how many Red Zone picks? Com'on Man, I'm not buying the best chance to Win BS. he's missing wide open Receivers. All of this is on Todd Bowles.

Any one here think giving this clueless wonder another year, will turn any of his inherent lack of football ability around? - It just delays finding a real HC by another year. I'd like to see the last of him on Black Monday, that dumb ass Defensive coordinator, and Fitzpatrick.

12 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets are never going to have any longterm success if they fire the coach at the first sign of trouble. Thats what the Browns do. Look at them.

You have to let a coach try and fix things. They won 2 in a row before this game. This season hasn't gone their way. The reaction can't always be to fire everyone.

Honestly, I feel like the only type of coach who the fans will give some time to would be a coach who came here with multiple championships under his belt. That might buy him a season or two. Otherwise, any coach who comes here better win right away and show no signs of trouble.

I'm sorry but did you just suggest the "first" sign of trouble with Bowles has just occurred in the middle of this season? 

13 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It's just such a terrible mindset. It's so annoying.

I'm not even saying I love Bowles and he's doing a great job. But to want to run him out of town after a season and a half is a little ridiculous. You gotta give people some time. They're 13-12 under him but you'd think they are 0-25.

This season isn't going so well. Ok. But it's like you said, first sign of trouble and everybody wants to blow everything up, tank the season, fire everyone, etc.

Defending Bowles by using his record is the same sort of flawed thinking that lead to resigning Fitz because he had a banner year v.s. an incredibly incredibly easy schedule.  

Bowles made many many boneheaded mistakes and calls last year and if anything has gotten worse at it this year.  Neither Bowles nor Fitz has been capable of beating +.500 teams.  Fitz has regressed and Bowles is getting worse and failing to learn a blessed thing about HC'ing.    

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Who's arguing that point. The thing is , you have to give the kid a chance . 2 weeks to prepare for a defense like the Patriots or splitting reps with Fitz to face the Rams defense.  Like I said, thinking is not your strength >

Describe for us Petty's "2 weeks to prepare" for the NE game, starting with the Monday after the Rams game.

This should be a good one.

27 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

No. People have been calling for him to be fired long before this week.

Oh please. NFL fans say that about their HC all over the league every Sunday when the team isn't playing well. 

He didn't get many spouting "should be fired" talk until fairly recently (this year). Last year he was excused due to inexperience. This year he can't do that anymore. He doesn't (or rather, shouldn't) get a 4-5 year window to learn how to be an NFL HC. 

He was a player for a decade. He was a DB coach for a decade and a half after that (including 4 as assistant HC). He was a DC for 2 1/2 years after that. He was a HC all of last year season and offseason, and for all offseason plus more than half the games so far this year.

He isn't going to magically learn things in the next 2 years that he didn't pick up over the past quarter century. I don't know what you think you've seen so far to indicate otherwise. 

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I guess we should fire Mac and Bowles. Then let's give the new GM and HC a season and a half to produce big results. If not, get them out of here as well. Rinse. Repeat.

I understand this point. But at the same time, you have to look at the quality of the coaching and decide is this the guy that can be effective leading this team for 10 years. You definitely want longevity but it needs to be the same guy. Bowles has shown himself to be ultra conservative, incredibly stubborn. terrible at game management, terrible in game. not effective at game planning, poor at adjustments and unable to fix systemic issues. He is not the guy long term. I would actually fire him today.

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh please. NFL fans say that about their HC all over the league every Sunday when the team isn't playing well. 

He didn't get many spouting "should be fired" talk until fairly recently (this year). Last year he was excused due to inexperience. This year he can't do that anymore. He doesn't (or rather, shouldn't) get a 4-5 year window to learn how to be an NFL HC. 

He was a player for a decade. He was a DB coach for a decade and a half after that (including 4 as assistant HC). He was a DC for 2 1/2 years after that. He was a HC all of last year season and offseason, and for all offseason plus more than half the games so far this year.

He isn't going to magically learn things in the next 2 years that he didn't pick up over the past quarter century. I don't know what you think you've seen so far to indicate otherwise. 

What did he do wrong yesterday? Should he have ran onto the field and pulled Antonio Allen back for being called off sides? Did he throw Fitz's two terrible interceptions that cost the Jets it least 6 points? The teams not that good. They overrated the talent they had. Give the regime a chance to fix it. Don't just cut bait and run because the team is struggling in year 2. That's such a loser mentality.

If Todd Bowles retains his job as the Jets Head Coach we will know next year's season will be over before it even starts.

This guy is a terrible Head Coach

I still feel this team has the talent to win .;..you plug in a guy like Andy Reid or a Jim Harbaugh and this team is still contending at this point.

Its looking like maybe 9-7 gets you in the playoffs this year it would have been nice to get some of our younger players on the roster some playoff experience .

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I understand this point. But at the same time, you have to look at the quality of the coaching and decide is this the guy that can be effective leading this team for 10 years. You definitely want longevity but it needs to be the same guy. Bowles has shown himself to be ultra conservative, incredibly stubborn. terrible at game management, terrible in game. not effective at game planning, poor at adjustments and unable to fix systemic issues. He is not the guy long term. I would actually fire him today.

Problem with firing him today is that it means someone else on the staff will take his place. Either a coordinator or a very experienced position coach. The only serious possible choice then is Gailey. 

Just let Bowles ride it out the rest of the way. Nobody has earned a promotion simply because Bowles has done such a poor job himself.

If you want to fire him before next year, then the perfect timing is after the Christmas Eve game (assuming we lose) in NE. Then there is no last game for veterans & reporters to rally behind Bowles after the last game, should we win week 17 to sweep the Rex Ryan Bills.

13 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Again it is the quality of the coaching itself. Stauing with Bowles essentially because change is hard and you want to have someone long term is not good enough. He has not shown the skills to invest in long term. Mac on the other hand has done well enough to get a couple years.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Describe for us Petty's "2 weeks to prepare" for the NE game, starting with the Monday after the Rams game.

This should be a good one.

Well, the Monday after the Rams Game will probably be a schedule off day .  So maybe on Tuesday we begin to see what this kid is comfortable with in the passing game and strengthen those areas while getting him as familiar as possible with the starting receivers whom he probably hasn't had much practice time with .  Specifics are Chan Gailey's department since that's his Job, but .

I would practice a bunch of screens, draws and anything that gets the ball out quickly .  On occasions, I take a shot downfield . 

Was it all you hope for ? Do you need some private time in the bathroom ?

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'm not committed to Bowles in either direction. I just simply want to see more. I haven't seen enough to want him fired like it appears most people have.

We need a QB. If we had one the Jets record would be better and people wouldn't be complaining about Bowles nearly as much. Which is why I point to the problem being talent and not coaching. Fitz is pretty ineffective without Decker in the slot. I think that's becoming more and more obvious. Especially in the red zone. The Jets have no way to score down there it seems. But we know Fitz isn't the answer. I want to see how this season finishes out and how the team looks next year. He's 13-12. Not 1-24 as our HC. I just think he deserves more time. JMO

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What did he do wrong yesterday? Should he have ran onto the field and pulled Antonio Allen back for being called off sides? Did he throw Fitz's two terrible interceptions that cost the Jets it least 6 points? The teams not that good. They overrated the talent they had. Give the regime a chance to fix it. Don't just cut bait and run because the team is struggling in year 2. That's such a loser mentality.

Lol, really? He put Fitz onto the field so he doesn't get absolved for things that happen as a direct result of that decision. He is the one that has let his team walk all over him, and this undisciplined play - yes, like being offsides on a freaking KO - is all symptomatic of his poor job as a HC. The team needed (or thought they needed) players like Fitzpatrick to fill the void at leadership from the HC. 

When you say "they" overrated the talent they had, that on-roster talent evaluation starts with the HC. Or do you believe Bowles is the lone voice of reason and Maccagnan is doing anything Bowles doesn't want him to do? 

Loser mentality is watching the team lose and thinking it's going to improve if you just want it to improve badly enough. Thing is, you're supposed to see some things here & there that indicate he will become a really good HC.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm sorry but did you just suggest the "first" sign of trouble with Bowles has just occurred in the middle of this season? 

In terms of record, yes. Francesa was getting on them for running away at the first sign of trouble. He has said that Woody will begin to look for another head coach and that is why the Jets will never win

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Again it is the quality of the coaching itself. Stauing with Bowles essentially because change is hard and you want to have someone long term is not good enough. He has not shown the skills to invest in long term. Mac on the other hand has done well enough to get a couple years.

What has Bowles done that bothers you a lot though? Punting yesterday was not a horrible decision whether you agree with it or not. Plenty of coaches would have made that same choice. In the Pitt game it was an awful call, yesterday it wasn't.

The team lacks talent. They were more talented last year and it showed. I'm sure in game adjustments are made. The players just aren't that good. There appears to be problems with Sheldon and Mo as well. I'm willing to bet Bowles was right for benching them. After the play penalties aren't the coaches fault. That's on the Skrine and Pryor for acting immature after making good plays. He can't control whether or not Antonio Allen jumps off sides on a kickoff. He can't make his kicker not miss an extra point and kick a chip shot FG to low like what happened in week 1 against the Bengals.

IDK. I'm just not convinced that Bowles isn't the right guy yet. Not convinced he is though either. But I think firing him is way to reactionary.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol, really? He put Fitz onto the field so he doesn't get absolved for things that happen as a direct result of that decision. He is the one that has let his team walk all over him, and this undisciplined play - yes, like being offsides on a freaking KO - is all symptomatic of his poor job as a HC. The team needed (or thought they needed) players like Fitzpatrick to fill the void at leadership from the HC. 

When you say "they" overrated the talent they had, that on-roster talent evaluation starts with the HC. Or do you believe Bowles is the lone voice of reason and Maccagnan is doing anything Bowles doesn't want him to do? 

Loser mentality is watching the team lose and thinking it's going to improve if you just want it to improve badly enough. Thing is, you're supposed to see some things here & there that indicate he will become a really good HC.

He benched Fitz! lol. Geno got hurt. That's not Bowles fault. Fitz came in and saved the Baltimore game and won in Cleveland. He wasn't going to pull him and start Petty off back to back wins. Nobody would do that. That's ridiculous. You're mad he started Fitz cause they lost. If the Jets tackle the guy on the kick off and win the game nobody is blaming him for starting Fitz.

Talent evaluation is on the HC. But once again. YOU CAN'T JUST FIRE A GUY WHEN THINGS GET BAD. You have to give a guy a chance to try and fix things.

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

What has Bowles done that bothers you a lot though? Punting yesterday was not a horrible decision whether you agree with it or not. Plenty of coaches would have made that same choice. In the Pitt game it was an awful call, yesterday it wasn't.

The team lacks talent. They were more talented last year and it showed. I'm sure in game adjustments are made. The players just aren't that good. There appears to be problems with Sheldon and Mo as well. I'm willing to bet Bowles was right for benching them. After the play penalties aren't the coaches fault. That's on the Skrine and Pryor for acting immature after making good plays. He can't control whether or not Antonio Allen jumps off sides on a kickoff. He can't make his kicker not miss an extra point and kick a chip shot FG to low like what happened in week 1 against the Bengals.

IDK. I'm just not convinced that Bowles isn't the right guy yet. Not convinced he is though either. But I think firing him is way to reactionary.

Actually NO it sends a message to your underachieving going through the motion players I would also go as far as to cut Breno Giacomini as well as firing Todd Bowles today. 

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I guess we should fire Mac and Bowles. Then let's give the new GM and HC a season and a half to produce big results. If not, get them out of here as well. Rinse. Repeat.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets Fans in a nutshell.  The first hint things aren't perfect, "blow it all up, lose out for #1 pick, start over, rinse, repeat".

I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.  What is the promise?  What exactly are we building?  That we're losing isn't the problem, that there's almost nothing on this team to be excited about/build around for the future is the problem.  There's no path to success, because the decisions made today aren't making us even incrementally better.

Archived