jets season is over

jets rooter

Just now, gEYno said:

I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.  What is the promise?  What exactly are we building?  That we're losing isn't the problem, that there's almost nothing on this team to be excited about/build around for the future is the problem.  There's no path to success, because the decisions made today aren't making us even incrementally better.

Did you not see the young receivers yesterday? We have young talent, that is obvious

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Bowles is a good HC . He makes decision he feels are best for the team based on the situation . Right or wrong, he makes a decision. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't and just like when a QB throws into double or triple coverage, the outcome always determines the quality of the decision to some .

Everyone is better at someone else's job until they have to do the job . I sit and watch games, and say how I would do this, and how I would do that differently, but the reality is nobody's asking me to make those decisions with my livelihood on the line .

Here's the reality :

The Jets are a 3-6 team and have no QB .

This team despite miserable execution by the players in all 3 phases of the game are a few plays from having 3 more wins .

This team is getting younger and having young players gain experience .

Todd Bowles is either  going to be the HC next season or he's not .

Unless God has another plan, I will still be a Jet fan .

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Did you not see the young receivers yesterday? We have young talent, that is obvious

Ok, you're overrating them, but even if we allow that to be true, that's one position where we may possibly be okay for the future.  What about QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, S, and resolving the mess of the DLine?  There are basically two players on the roster you can feel pretty good will be strong contributors in 2-3 years,  Enunwa and L. Williams.  So, on a 53 man roster, after two seasons of this regime, you have two players who will likely be contributors at the time the Jets may be competitive, and only one of them came from this regime.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Todd Bowles is a good HC . He makes decision he feels are best for the team based on the situation . Right or wrong, he makes a decision. Sometimes they work out and sometimes they don't and just like when a QB throws into double or triple coverage, the outcome always determines the quality of the decision to some .

Everyone is better at someone else's job until they have to do the job . I sit and watch games, and say how I would do this, and how I would do that differently, but the reality is nobody's asking me to make those decisions with my livelihood on the line .

Here's the reality :

This team despite miserable execution by the players in all 3 phases of the game are a few plays from having 3 more wins .

Please explain to us what makes Todd Bowels a good HC what many of us are seeing weekly is a clueless moron who cant make decisions cant adjust a game plan and certainly not a motivator of his players. 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Here's the reality :

Are you really making the argument that Todd Bowles is a good coach and above criticism because he knows more about football than you do?

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Ok, you're overrating them, but even if we allow that to be true, that's one position where we may possibly be okay for the future.  What about QB, RB, OL, LB, CB, S, and resolving the mess of the DLine?  There are basically two players on the roster you can feel pretty good will be strong contributors in 2-3 years,  Enunwa and L. Williams.  So, on a 53 man roster, after two seasons of this regime, you have two players who will likely be contributors at the time the Jets may be competitive, and only one of them came from this regime.

We have depth at LB. And this rebuild is going to take more than 2 years. And the reason for that is that fans won't accept a full rebuild 

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I started a thread about this a couple of weeks ago.  What is the promise?  What exactly are we building?  That we're losing isn't the problem, that there's almost nothing on this team to be excited about/build around for the future is the problem.  There's no path to success, because the decisions made today aren't making us even incrementally better.

The point is you don't just hire guys and fire them when things don't go well. You hired them based on qualifications you liked. Ok, things are going bad in year 2. So what's the plan now? Fire them and bring in new guys? What if they struggle coming out of the gate? Or what if in their second year they aren't 6-2 to start? What are we going to do? Fire them also and go to the next group of guys?

The point is. You have to let a HC and GM work together to build something. And you have to let a HC and GM work together to fix something. You'll never know what you have with Bowles if you fire him because things aren't going so well.

25 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Well, the Monday after the Rams Game will probably be a schedule off day .  So maybe on Tuesday we begin to see what this kid is comfortable with in the passing game and strengthen those areas while getting him as familiar as possible with the starting receivers whom he probably hasn't had much practice time with .  Specifics are Chan Gailey's department since that's his Job, but .

I would practice a bunch of screens, draws and anything that gets the ball out quickly .  On occasions, I take a shot downfield . 

Was it all you hope for ? Do you need some private time in the bathroom ?

Lol

Here is what NFL teams do during the bye week: nothing. There's even a mandated 4 consecutive days of no practice to rest during the bye week. Players leave town to go home, get away in general, etc.

• Monday = day off following a Sunday game
  • Tuesday = mostly day off; just going to be running through some motions (if even that, during a bye)
  • Wednesday = same as Tuesday. Not much going to happen. At best this is the only full practice.
  • Thursday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Friday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Saturday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Sunday = CBA mandated no practicing

There. That is week 1 of your 2 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Are you really making the argument that Todd Bowles is a good coach and above criticism because he knows more about football than you do?

No, but because he has a plan for what he wants to see on a football field . Maybe you missed it, but I thought Herman Edwards was a good HC also and that Paul Hackett was a good OC . You gonna love this one, LOL . I thought that the Jets should have promoted Brian Schottenheomer to HC instead of hiring that blowhard Rex Ryan .

You have to lead men, and sometimes that means you make decisions everyone won't understand . Those that get it you keep around you and you add to them as you go along . The problem with this miserable team and it even more miserable fan base is that both have no patience . Yes, it's been 40 year, and if we continue to do the same thing, it will be another 40 . You fire this coaching staff, and 2 years of Players and their development are wasted . 

This house that is the NYJets have no foundation .

1st you find a GM  -  I think we have a solid one

Next you find a HC .  I think we have a solid one

Then you find a QB . We need to fix this issue  .

Then you

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The point is you don't just hire guys and fire them when things don't go well. You hired them based on qualifications you liked. Ok, things are going bad in year 2. So what's the plan now? Fire them and bring in new guys? What if they struggle coming out of the gate? Or what if in their second year they aren't 6-2 to start? What are we going to do? Fire them also and go to the next group of guys?

The point is. You have to let a HC and GM work together to build something. And you have to let a HC and GM work together to fix something. You'll never know what you have with Bowles if you fire him because things aren't going so well.

You don't just keep people just because you hired them. They have to give an indication that they're good at the job they were hired to do. It isn't just the W/L record alone because "things aren't going well" it's because he - like the GM - is instrumental in why things aren't going well.

A team that keeps rewarding poor job performance will continue to get poor job performance.

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

No, but because he has a plan for what he wants to see on a football field . Maybe you missed it, but I thought Herman Edwards was a good HC also and that Paul Hackett was a good OC . You gonna love this one, LOL . I thought that the Jets should have promoted Brian Schottenheomer to HC instead of hiring that blowhard Rex Ryan .

You have to lead men, and sometimes that means you make decisions everyone won't understand . Those that get it you keep around you and you add to them as you go along . The problem with this miserable team and it even more miserable fan base is that both have no patience . Yes, it's been 40 year, and if we continue to do the same thing, it will be another 40 . You fire this coaching staff, and 2 years of Players and their development are wasted . 

Then you

We have neither a solid GM nor a solid HC.

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We have depth at LB. And this rebuild is going to take more than 2 years. And the reason for that is that fans won't accept a full rebuild 

Depth =/= Quality.  The rebuild is off to a terrible start.  You can't ask fans to be happy about that.  You can pretend to be, but we've all seen the fraud that you are.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

Here is what NFL teams do during the bye week: nothing. There's even a mandated 4 consecutive days of no practice to rest during the bye week. Players leave town to go home, get away in general, etc.

• Monday = day off following a Sunday game
  • Tuesday = mostly day off; just going to be running through some motions (if even that, during a bye)
  • Wednesday = same as Tuesday. Not much going to happen. At best this is the only full practice.
  • Thursday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Friday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Saturday = CBA mandated no practicing
  • Sunday = CBA mandated no practicing

There. That is week 1 of your 2 weeks. 

Are coaches not allowed contact with the Players on those no practice days ?  Is there a penalty for say the OC meeting with the QB to watch tape or go over offensive scheming ?

Just curious .

Thanks for the knowledge >

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Then you

Ok.  So, you're a total homer.  That's perfectly cool, actually, but there's no reason to try and be a part of an objective debate.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't just keep people just because you hired them. They have to give an indication that they're good at the job they were hired to do. It isn't just the W/L record alone because "things aren't going well" it's because he - like the GM - is instrumental in why things aren't going well.

A team that keeps rewarding poor job performance will continue to get poor job performance.

Everyone is instrumental when a team losses and wins. You're acting like the Jets are just loaded with talent and can't get out of their own way because of the HC.

The Jets aren't that talented. If I thought they were I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But they aren't a top team talent wise. They have a poor O-Line, no QB, a terrible secondary, untested linebackers, Wilkerson is clearly not 100% and something is going on with him and Sheldon, they're missing Decker...

They have average at best talent combined with some big injuries, and a below average QB situation. Combine that with the brutal schedule they started off with and you get what you get. They got buried before they could even get out of the gate.

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

You didn't answer the question.  What promise are they showing?  Where is this team going?  Saying that things are going bad in year two is overly simplistic.  As I said, it's not about winning, it's about building.  This team is losing and not showing any signs of life for the future.  That's a bad combination.

Just now, gEYno said:

You didn't answer the question.  What promise are they showing?  Where is this team going?  Saying that things are going bad in year two is overly simplistic.  As I said, it's not about winning, it's about building.  This team is losing and not showing any signs of life for the future.  That's a bad combination.

They don't have a QB. They have some building pieces on defense with Wilkerson signing a long term deal, Leonard Williams, Jenkins and Lee at LB, people seem to like Stanford. It looks more and more like they'll be trying to move Sheldon for a pick or two in the off season. There is potential there.

The offense is a veteran group. That was a win now unit banking on Fitz duplicating last season. Fitz has been way more bad then good this year. But the young receivers the Jets have are developing into nice players. Especially Enunwa and Anderson.

They need a QB, they always need a QB. Right now, they're hoping it could be Petty or Hack.

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Are coaches not allowed contact with the Players on those no practice days ?  Is there a penalty for say the OC meeting with the QB to watch tape or go over offensive scheming ?

Just curious .

Thanks for the knowledge >

Once in a while a HC wants to ride his team hard entering the bye, but in general they just don't. The players know they're on a bye and the coach knows the players know this. Whatever could happen, one has to consider what will realistically happen. Players' coach Todd Bowles isn't going balls to the wall in bye week practices. Sure they could watch film and stuff. I take for granted that Petty has been doing this all season long with or without the bye.

In short there is no 2 week period for Petty to work with the 1s, and seriously prepare in that regard, without starting an actual game. He works with the 1s for 2 straight weeks when he's been the (non bye week) starter for 2 weeks. In between those practices, there is a football game. Better he should watch film of his own performance from the Rams game, run through some drills on his own (unofficial practicing), and then return with the team to prepare for NE. 

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

They don't have a QB. They have some building pieces on defense with Wilkerson signing a long term deal, Leonard Williams, Jenkins and Lee at LB, people seem to like Stanford. It looks more and more like they'll be trying to move Sheldon for a pick or two in the off season. There is potential there.

The offense is a veteran group. That was a win now unit banking on Fitz duplicating last season. Fitz has been way more bad then good this year. But the young receivers the Jets have are developing into nice players. Especially Enunwa and Anderson.

They need a QB, they always need a QB. Right now, they're hoping it could be Petty or Hack.

Lee?  When was the last time he played?  Any reason to believe the small linebacker can stay healthy in the pros?  Wilkerson?  The guy who took the money and ran?  Sheldon isn't bringing us anything more than a 3rd, and he's a better player than Wilkerson.  Jenkins... maybe, we'll see.  Enunwa and Williams are the only bright spots of this team.  Anderson is also in the maybe... we'll see.

If there was any faith in Petty or Hack, one of them would have stepped in by now, instead of trotting out the leagues worst QB again and again when the season is already over.  There's no QB, and there's no path to a QB.

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Everyone is instrumental when a team losses and wins. You're acting like the Jets are just loaded with talent and can't get out of their own way because of the HC.

The Jets aren't that talented. If I thought they were I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But they aren't a top team talent wise. They have a poor O-Line, no QB, a terrible secondary, untested linebackers, Wilkerson is clearly not 100% and something is going on with him and Sheldon, they're missing Decker...

They have average at best talent combined with some big injuries, and a below average QB situation. Combine that with the brutal schedule they started off with and you get what you get. They got buried before they could even get out of the gate.

No. You are just acting like the team has no talent at all so the HC is just a slave to circumstance. See how easy that is?

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Lee?  When was the last time he played?  Any reason to believe the small linebacker can stay healthy in the pros?  Wilkerson?  The guy who took the money and ran?  Sheldon isn't bringing us anything more than a 3rd, and he's a better player than Wilkerson.  Jenkins... maybe, we'll see.  Enunwa and Williams are the only bright spots of this team.  Anderson is also in the maybe... we'll see.

If there was any faith in Petty or Hack, one of them would have stepped in by now, instead of trotting out the leagues worst QB again and again when the season is already over.  There's no QB, and there's no path to a QB.

4 QB's on the roster so basically they all suck piss poor on Macc and the Jets that we dont have a decent QB out of 4 DAMMIT 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Regardless, me being human requires leeway. But I still believe what I believe

You get no leeway because you make 12 threads a week and poison the game thread with your nonsense.  You want to be treated as human and with leeway, maybe stop making the same point over and over again about a topic you yourself can't even live up to.  Then, anyone might buy the "I overreacted" narrative.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Ok.  So, you're a total homer.  That's perfectly cool, actually, but there's no reason to try and be a part of an objective debate.

There's no objectivity here  . You folks are a lynch mob who's out to hang anyone who has a different opinion .  Here's the thing, I am willing to admit I might be wrong . People make mistakes in life, and that's fine as long as you're trying to accomplish something  .  We have no QB and we have no team . The great Bill Walsh drafted Jim Druckenmiller .  

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

remain.calm_.animal.house_.jpg 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

We don't know enough about Lee to like or dislike him. He was considered one of the better LB prospects in the draft. Who knows what's going on with Wilkerson, it seems like there is something wrong with his ankle. But again, if Wilkerson took the money and ran, how is that on Bowles and Mac? Are the Jets suppose to know that he'd do that? Did he show any signs of that? The guy who showed signs of being unstable was Richardson.

They may not have any faith in either of their young QB's at this point. But a HC and a GM aren't going to be able to come in right away and find the perfect answer at QB. That does take time.

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I agree with the points mentioned, but that does not mean yesterday that the Jets were coached well.  Let's mention for starters since it's usually an afterthought that the special teams on this team suck.  Last year they were bad, the only major move on the CS was firing the ST coach, and what is the end result?  Worse than ever.  I am not nearly as down on Bowles as some here, but Special teams is a wtf situation.

Not every game is the same, and yesterday I thought the D was better coached as far as X's and O's than the O.  Problems on D were more about lack of discipline and no doubt Wilkerson and Richardson not playing in the first quarter as the fish marched down the field twice.  Yeah the CS can be criticized for that along the lines of "they let that happen," but to me that stuff is more on the players.

But the coaching on O, especially in the second half, was simply inexplicable.  What happened to the running game????  Talk about half time adjustments.  Let me see, Forte had a great first half, so let's not give him the ball anymore.  Possibly this was Gailey's worst half of football all season.

So yes I agree with the bolded part.  But there's an issue with the CS as well.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. You are just acting like the team has no talent at all so the HC is just a slave to circumstance. See how easy that is?

Actually I'm not.

Where's all the talent on this team?

You can just say the team is talented as a way to throw all the blame on the HC as well. It goes both ways.

Archived