What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

1 hour ago, jett said:

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

And if they do, 

Are they still sure Fitz gives them the best shot? 

I was adamant about bringing Fitz back, in fact, even with his play I still stay at the time it was the right call. Geno wouldn't have done much better if at all.   I was against signing wilk and still will am. 

Either way , did Bryce sleep with Todd's daughter? Because I really don't understand why they don't just give him the nod at this point 

The honey badger kid on the cardinals did that and if anything he got more play time.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Prescott was rushed into emergency duty, no pressure, and was embraced by his teammates and fans and thrived in that situation.  Put in at the beginning of the season, no other QB as a threat, things were fresh and new.

It's very different when you are put in as a replacement for a well-liked team leader and he's staring at you from the sidelines all game.  To put Petty in now and have this dynamic going on between him and Fitzpatrick and being thrown into a month where 3 games are on national TV and the whole world is watching is nothing like the Prescott situation, it would be one of the most difficult starting assignments a young QB has ever been asked to undertake.

And then remember what his teammates are like.  And then remember what the culture of this locker room is like.  It's almost an impossible situation.  You can see why the Jets wouldn't want to do this to him.

SAR I

You lost me at well liked...... the team is ready for Petty.   FITZ has been exposed and is costing his teammates money at this point. 

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hate these types of statements . Why do they have more than 1 round of the draft then if players not drafted in the 1st round are worthless. The draft is a crapshoot period so there's no proof that a 4th rd pick can't be better than a 1st rd and vice versa.

and the proof of that is Tom Brady. I know that was a million to one shot. There are plenty of 5th, 6th & 7th round draft choices playing.  I believe we have a few on our team.  How can you  judge petty when he has only thrown 2 passes in his career so far { and completed both}

At this point the Jets should just use Fitz's injury as an excuse to play Petty without committing to him for the year.  Why not just say Fitz is hurt and unavailable this week against LA so Petty gets the nod, if he plays well enough or shows promise you stick with him if not then you reevaluate.  Fitz spraining his MCL is the perfect opportunity to give Petty a game without committing to him.  Fitz is far from the only problem but he's the worst starting QB in the league so you really have nothing to lose.

which suggests he does not believe he will be there much longer if they keep losing.  but when mangold/fitz/harris/revis are gone, the entire lockerroom dynamic will change and bowles will pretend to support the youth movement and you can't have it both ways.  we need woody to fix this again.

Every coach in the NFL not named Belicheck, Tomlin, or Carrol are coaching scared to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Right now, the Ryan Fitzpatrick Jets are 3-1 in games against teams we should beat (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA).  That's a .750 winning percentage against average teams.  We'd have won them all if not for special teams missing two tackles yesterday.

Our remaining schedule outside of the NE games (LA, IND, SF, MIA, BUF) are completely in our wheelhouse and 4 of the 5 are at home, in the cold, against warm/dome teams, not a single team has a winning record, we crushed the Bills last time we played them.

Like I said, the schedule killed us early and is kind to us late.  It's not comedy.  It's predictable.  Just like some of us called for a 1-5 start back in July (ahem) you may want to listen this time.  Remember those who said we were going 8-8 or 7-9?  Well, we are.

SAR I

Some of us don't have rose/green colored glasses on either. This team is getting worse not better. Not all of it is due to injury. As far as those teams, (LA, IND, SF, MIA, BUF), they're saying the Jets are completely in THEIR wheelhouse. It is well known that in the NFL only 1 position can be changed that affects the whole team, and that is QB. I have said this before, you may want to listen this time. I shouldn't have to explain this to you that this team is now under performing. But you go ahead and put little W's on your JET schedule for those 4 wins on your wall.

Jets' Todd Bowles says Bryce Petty 'ready' if Ryan Fitzpatrick sidelined vs. Rams

Bryce Petty
Might Bryce Petty play Sunday? (AP Photo | Julio Cortez)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on November 07, 2016 at 4:22 PM, updated November 07, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick sprained his left knee in Sunday's loss at the Dolphins, and even though he returned to the game (with a brace on), it's not clear yet if he'll be ready to play at home next Sunday against the Rams.

That was the word Monday from Jets coach Todd Bowles.  

"He's probably day-to-day," Bowles said. "We'll know more as the week progresses."

Bowles isn't sure if Fitzpatrick will be able to play Sunday. 

"I don't know," Bowles said. "I've got to see him run around a little bit on Wednesday and Thursday first." 

The Rams, like the Jets, are having a bad season. The Jets are 3-6, the Rams 3-5. But the Rams entered last weekend with the 11th-best DVOA-rated defense, per Football Outsiders

Bowles confirmed the obvious, that second-year pro Bryce Petty would replace Fitzpatrick if he can't play. Petty saw his first NFL regular season action in Miami, where he played four snaps in place of Fitzpatrick. 

And if Fitzpatrick can't play against the Rams, will Petty be ready to go, despite his glaring lack of experience? 

"Yeah, he'll be ready," Bowles said. 

Besides Petty and Fitzpatrick, the Jets' only other available quarterback — because of Geno Smith's ACL tear — is raw rookie Christian Hackenberg

There is a possibility that Fitzpatrick could miss some practice time this week and still play against the Rams. 

16 candidates to be Jets 2017 starting QB

16 candidates to be Jets 2017 starting QB

Let's look at some guys who could be under center.

"If he misses a significant amount of time, then Bryce will play," Bowles said. "He'll have to practice some on Friday, at least, and have a good understanding of the game plan. And we'll make a decision going forward." 

Petty completed 2 of 2 passes for 19 yards against the Dolphins

Maybe their realize that Fitz is not coming back next year, this year is lost, and they already owe him $7mm for this year and $5mm for next, so there is no sense in getting the future QBs beat up and potentially damaged for next year (with a torn ACL, Geno is lucky to be ready for training camp next year).

So keep playing Fitz until he is crippled, and then, and only then, bring in the other two QBs.

I think they need to be calling Matt Flynn.  He sent good cocktail pictures.  At the rate this OL is chewing up QBs, they are going to need someone.

1 hour ago, jetfan61 said:

They have to wait until the season is a pile of ashes... AKA officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Should be soon.

I hate this line of thinking, what if (I know like 1% chance but still) Petty lights it up like Chad did in 02, and we win like 5 of the last 6 looking like a really good team then I'm gonna be really ******* pissed Bowles wasted the season starting Fitzpatrick when he should have been benched for good in like week 5 last season.

I honestly think the reason Petty is not playing is because they want to put him in the best position to succeed. The O-line has been banged up the last few weeks. Getting a healthy line would enable him to have more time to handle the complex defenses that will be thrown at him. 

And once they are "officially" eliminated from playoff contention, there won't be the added pressure of Petty coming in to "save the season".

It's not like this organization is afraid to experiment with the unknown. After all, the last 4 General Managers they hired never held that position before. 

And the last 5 coaches never had been head coaches before. 

Frustrating as it is, I really think they are trying to do the right thing. 

Think of it this way.  Coach Bowles is like a man who is driving a car where the gas pedal and steering wheel are stuck and the regular brakes don't work and the car is about to run into a brick wall.

He could try using the new super powerful emergency brake, but nah.  

After all, it's untested.

3 hours ago, jett said:

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

And if they do, 

I was adamant about bringing Fitz back, in fact, even with his play I still stay at the time it was the right call. Geno wouldn't have done much better if at all.   I was against signing wilk and still will am. 

Either way , did Bryce sleep with Todd's daughter? Because I really don't understand why they don't just give him the nod at this point 

The fact that you stated your position about Fitz and was wrong, I think you should leave the "Geno wouldnt have done much better at all" alone. Fitz is having his worst season of his career with weapons because he stares down his targets, throws most of his INT's in the 2nd half of games and often throws those picks in the redzone somewhere in the endzone KILLING drives. 

All of these pro-Fitz guys need to give the Geno crap a rest. Saying that Geno wouldnt have done any better is simply a way to save face from the fact that all of this Fitzmagic nonsense was stupid. Geno should have been the starter because he was younger, under a rookie contract and on the last year of his deal. Rewarding a guy who won 10 games the way that he did is the reason why we're even in this mess if the organization would have just sat down and watched tape. 

2 hours ago, jett said:

And if they do, 

Because Todd Bowles is an Idiot and he has no Balls

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

I want the guy in there, I don't give a crap what he was three weeks ago.

I want the team to win i dont care who plays as long as they play well and if they don't then we need to start benching them and letting the next man up get his chance. We didnt get beaten by the phins because of Fitz though.

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I want the team to win i dont care who plays as long as they play well and if they don't then we need to start benching them and letting the next man up get his chance. We didnt get beaten by the phins because of Fitz though.

We need to know NOW. Screw waiting. Get the kid in there.

Did anybody talk about the deep post that Fitz missed on the opening drive? Holy Jesus, I kicked my dog while screaming for petty!!

IMO if a hurt and lame Fitzpatrick, who is playing the worst of any starting QB in the NFL, is better than Petty I say cut Petty immediately !!!

This is a dam joke!!!

Bowles has to be idiot if he really believes that nonsense and if Petty is that poor of a player there were tons of guys we could have gotten on the cheap in his stead.

In fact the Vikings came a calling specifically for Petty and the Jets turned down what I would have to assume was a 2nd or a 3rd for Petty.

So this is utter nonsense!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories or UFO sightings its because Bryce Petty isn't better than Ryan Fitzpatrick.
SAR I

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick not the worst statistical QB in the league right now? I don't think Petty could be much worse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exactly.  after all that's why they benched him for geno in the first place.  this mirage of a meritocracy has to go.  bowles will play his faves until woody or mccags tells him he can't.  that way bowles avoids making the decisions that could get him canned, they are being made for him.  and he could still get canned anyway.

If Bowles isn't playing guys based on merit he should be fired, period!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived