What's the real reason Petty isn't getting the nod?

jett

49 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

In fact the Vikings came a calling specifically for Petty and the Jets turned down what I would have to assume was a 2nd or a 3rd for Petty.

I believe the jets were shopping geno and were told the vikings preferred petty, and I'm sure it wasn't a serious conversation, and nobody is offering more than a 6th for petty

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Larz said:

great, when he plays like a 3rd string QB with no time to set up, remember that

He passes my eye test every time, whatever that's  worth. 

How bout that missed deep post by Fitz on the opening drive? Petty woulda put that sh*t right in the bread basket.

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Here's how you know the Jets don't know what they're doing:

If they have already determined that Petty is not/never will be the future, as some are claiming, then he had no business being on the roster from Day 1 along with Fitz, Geno and Hack. No need to hang on to a #3 QB you don't think can develop and make your developmental guy a #4. Additionally, if they have made that decision about Petty before he's even played a single NFL game, then the problem is even bigger. Petty needs real-game reps. It's the only way he can improve on whatever he is at this point in his career. 

So it's not that. It seems there simply is an undeserved loyalty to Fitz. They're going with the "Fitz gives us the best chance to win week in and week out" philosophy, but that is meaningless when winning games this year is obviously irrelevant. We should be 100% in rebuild mode, on many roster spots, most of all at QB. You find out now what he is, 

Totally agree.  It's all about 2017 now.  The fans get it...

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

You don't reward the WORST QB play in the NFL with him keeping his job when he has had, for the most part, a joke of a career!!!

You can't make it up!!!!

Good Grief!!!!!!!!!

Agree I cant copy and paste todays back page of the Daily News maybe you can Same Old Fitz 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Problem is, 5 of the last 7 games fit this criteria and Ryan Fitzpatrick indeed is the best option to win these winnable games.  This isn't a conspiracy.  It's just logic.  I don't agree with it.  But I understand why the Jets do.

SAR - Seriously how do you really know Fitz is the best option to win these games?  Are you basing this on Bowles coach speak?  Until Petty faces live ammo how does anybody really know how he's going to do?  

3 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

I honestly think the reason Petty is not playing is because they want to put him in the best position to succeed. The O-line has been banged up the last few weeks. Getting a healthy line would enable him to have more time to handle the complex defenses that will be thrown at him. 

And once they are "officially" eliminated from playoff contention, there won't be the added pressure of Petty coming in to "save the season".

It's not like this organization is afraid to experiment with the unknown. After all, the last 4 General Managers they hired never held that position before. 

And the last 5 coaches never had been head coaches before. 

Frustrating as it is, I really think they are trying to do the right thing. 

That sounds backwards. If Petty comes in, there is no expectation from anyone that he will save the season. If he does, he'll have done something special as a rookie. It's all upside / no downside from that perspective. With all the distractions, and the team at 3-6, there is no pressure. Wait until the NE game on national TV, after a bye week, and there's plenty more pressure when the Pats score 3 TDs in the first quarter (one of them after a Petty pick). 

Let him make mistakes against L.A. Who won't run up the score on us. Far less pressure. 

And f*** him anyway if he can't play under pressure. It's a pressure position. He's been holding a clipboard for the better part of 2 football seasons. Another week or two more isn't going to make any difference. 

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories or UFO sightings its because Bryce Petty isn't better than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Horsebleep. it is because Bowles is hyper cautious and not in control of the locker room, coupled with his defensive vetearn player bias, he us afraid to make the right move. period.

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

SAR - Seriously how do you really know Fitz is the best option to win these games?  Are you basing this on Bowles coach speak?  Until Petty faces live ammo how does anybody really know how he's going to do?  

Based on last season's 5-0 run and this seasons 3-1 record against lukewarm competition, I have confidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick can go 5-2 or 4-3 with certainty.

We have nothing to base Bryce Petty's potential by, but it stands to reason that in his first NFL action in a series of cold night games in front of a hostile home crowd the best a youngster in that situation can produce will probably be 2-5. 

Personally, I'd rather go 0-7 with Bryce Petty than 5-2 with Ryan Fitzpatrick, but I believe our head coach and owner see it differently.

SAR I

Just now, johnnysd said:

Horsebleep. it is because Bowles is hyper cautious and not in control of the locker room, coupled with his defensive vetearn player bias, he us afraid to make the right move. period.

Where is there evidence that Todd Bowles has ever placed Ryan Fitzpatrick above his other quarterbacks for a reason other than he's the best player in that position?

Last year's Oakland game and this year's Ravens game show that Geno wasn't the man.  Hackenberg can't be taken seriously, he's a major project.  So that leaves Fitzpatrick vs. Petty and Petty was injured for two months coming off the preseason.  Fitzpatrick simply is the best quarterback.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories or UFO sightings its because Bryce Petty isn't better than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

And now do they know this?  The last 2 administrations thought Geno  could be good so did half the doofus on this board. 

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Where is there evidence that Todd Bowles has ever placed Ryan Fitzpatrick above his other quarterbacks for a reason other than he's the best player in that position?

Last year's Oakland game and this year's Ravens game show that Geno wasn't the man.  Hackenberg can't be taken seriously, he's a major project.  So that leaves Fitzpatrick vs. Petty and Petty was injured for two months coming off the preseason.  Fitzpatrick simply is the best quarterback.

SAR I

I'm not buying that anymore.

The inaccuracy on the deep ball, shoot, the inaccuracy overall, has me out of my effin gourd!! PUT THE  KID IN!!! if he's not announced the starter I'm gonna flip!!

i haven't read all the threads today, but, for the love of God, did anyone see Fitz misfire on the deep post on the opening drive!?!?!!? I was done with him the moment the ball hit the ground. PUT THE KID IN!!!!!

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

And now do they know this?  The last 2 administrations thought Geno  could be good so did half the doofus on this board. 

Forget the board doofuses, forget trade rumors, forget bloggers, forget media insiders, just look at what we know to be factual:

Several times between June and November Todd Bowles has had the opportunity to replace Ryan Fitzpatrick with Bryce Petty and he never did.  Had Geno Smith not gone down with injury, Bryce Petty wouldn't even touch a football this year.

So when Fitzpatrick falters after winning 2 games in a row, it is no surprise that he is staying put as the starter.  And when 5 of the next 7 games are at home and are winnable, it is no surprise that he is staying put as the starter.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Shadetree said:

I'm not buying that anymore.

The inaccuracy on the deep ball, shoot, the inaccuracy overall, has me out of my effin gourd!! PUT THE  KID IN!!! if he's not announced the starter I'm gonna flip!!

You do realize that just yesterday Ryan Fitzpatrick drove the Jets down the field with big throws in the fourth quarter to lead a comeback, right?

If special teams made a tackle, we'd be in the middle of a 3-0 run, we'd be looking at 5-5 after 1-5, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

You do realize that just yesterday Ryan Fitzpatrick drove the Jets down the field with big throws in the fourth quarter to lead a comeback, right?

If special teams made a tackle, we'd be in the middle of a 3-0 run, we'd be looking at 5-5 after 1-5, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

SAR I

I was done with Fitz the moment that missed deep post hit the turf. I don't care about his guts to take the lead. 

Bowles is making a mistake. I don't want Bowles headnon a platter, but he is DEFINITELY making a big time mistake not getting petty his look-see. 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Forget the board doofuses, forget trade rumors, forget bloggers, forget media insiders, just look at what we know to be factual:

Several times between June and November Todd Bowles has had the opportunity to replace Ryan Fitzpatrick with Bryce Petty and he never did.  Had Geno Smith not gone down with injury, Bryce Petty wouldn't even touch a football this year.

So when Fitzpatrick falters after winning 2 games in a row, it is no surprise that he is staying put as the starter.  And when 5 of the next 7 games are at home and are winnable, it is no surprise that he is staying put as the starter.

SAR I

I don't listen to hacks or bloggers been watching college and NFL for more years than I will admit

What we know is what we have seen.  From the little we have seen petty is best QB on team...yeah yeah preseason...blah blah blah

Geno was awesome in practice because no chance of getting pummeled. ..prob better than fitz in practice but fitz better than Geno in game because he can see field and is not afraid to get hit

Petty probably sucks in practice too but from the little we have seen he comes alive for games...yeah he may crash and burn but it is time to try

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

I don't listen to hacks or bloggers been watching college and NFL for more years than I will admit

What we know is what we have seen.  From the little we have seen petty is best QB on team...yeah yeah preseason...blah blah blah

Geno was awesome in practice because no chance of getting pummeled. ..prob better than fitz in practice but fitz better than Geno in game because he can see field and is not afraid to get hit

Petty probably sucks in practice too but from the little we have seen he comes alive for games...yeah he may crash and burn but it is time to try

Thank you..........................

You can't continue to reward the worst QB play in the NFL!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you..........................

You can't continue to reward the worst QB play in the NFL!!!!!

I think the only reason bowels is sticking with Fitz is because he does not want to lose the locker room which he does have a point.  If he goes with petty and the rest of team gives up than that will not be good situation for petty.  

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the only reason bowels is sticking with Fitz is because he does not want to lose the locker room which he does have a point.  If he goes with petty and the rest of team gives up than that will not be good situation for petty.  

Then this shows he has no control of this team. 

3 hours ago, Shadetree said:

We need to know NOW. Screw waiting. Get the kid in there.

Did anybody talk about the deep post that Fitz missed on the opening drive? Holy Jesus, I kicked my dog while screaming for petty!!

We really don't need to know now. We are having a bad year we will probably continue to have a bad year. I would rather see Petty developed properly then thrown in before he is ready. I would assume the coaching staff knows more about his readiness than we the fans do assuming that if he were ready they would have been pressured into giving him the job already.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I hate this line of thinking, what if (I know like 1% chance but still) Petty lights it up like Chad did in 02, and we win like 5 of the last 6 looking like a really good team then I'm gonna be really ******* pissed Bowles wasted the season starting Fitzpatrick when he should have been benched for good in like week 5 last season.

The line of reasoning is so stupid in addition because not only is Fitz the WORST QB in the NFL he is playing worse than Brooks Bollinger.

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

You would hope that guys would rally around the young guy and give him a boost and y'know be decent human beings, I don't understand this perceived locker room loyalty to Fitz.

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

The locker room can't believe anyone else is worse than fitz. Most of the players are coming back, fitz is not. They all want to see if this kid petty is going to give them something to look forward to. They know playoffs are out, and fitz is only playing in hopes of getting another NFL contract next yr.. Petty will be a big boost to the lockeroom

15 hours ago, jett said:

I don't care how easy the rest of this schedule looks, do they really think they still have a shot? 

And if they do, 

Are they still sure Fitz gives them the best shot? 

I was adamant about bringing Fitz back, in fact, even with his play I still stay at the time it was the right call. Geno wouldn't have done much better if at all.   I was against signing wilk and still will am. 

Either way , did Bryce sleep with Todd's daughter? Because I really don't understand why they don't just give him the nod at this point 

he can do all the bad things that Fitz does.  No problem.  BUt Fitz cannot do all the good things he can.  LIke throw the ball downfield to swift receivers with accuracy.  Or completepasses outside the hashmarks.

14 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he can do all the bad things that Fitz does.  No problem.  BUt Fitz cannot do all the good things he can.  LIke throw the ball downfield to swift receivers with accuracy.  Or completepasses outside the hashmarks.

This is such a great point. I'm sure Petty will struggle a bit, the Rams defense is no joke, they pounded Cam Newton even though they lost. But like you said, I'm sure Petty can throw redzone interceptions just fine, but he can also do something that Fitz can't do without winding up like a pitcher, flick a ball down the field with ease.

Archived