Bowles: No QB Controversy

JetNation

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Bowles did say Fitz still need to do more the be ready.  " He’s getting a little better. He’s taking some reps. He has to do some more though."

So I for one am giving him the benefit of the doubt.  He can't allow the thought that he's losing the team.  He can't allow the thought  that there is a QB controversy.  Fine, so he falls back on coach speak and says Fitz is his guy but he needs more to be ready.  Whatever!

Until I see otherwise, Fitz is not starting.  Bowles just can't bring himself to say it.  Go Jets!  

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It's almost as if the backup QB, who learned a simple defensive concept 2 weeks ago that he should have known forever, might suck more that Fitz.  Wow.  What a crazy concept.

It's one thing to need mechanical things fixed and time so the game slows down for you.  It's a whole different ball game if you didn't know the difference between a pee wee football defensive concept.

And why is that after 25 games in the system under this CS?

9 minutes ago, Jets_Win said:

This really is the point.  This CS is not doing their jobs well enough.  Letting Fitz get away with his non progressions while his WR's are wide open as often as not.  Not deigning to work on Hack's mechanics during the season.  Now Petty being unschooled in what apparently is a basic concept.  

28 minutes ago, Jets_Win said:

Because he might possibly be an idiot? I don't know.  Why did he not pick up the concept long before his days in the NFL?  This is seriously something he should have known before high school.  He's not a child.  If he's good, he'd be playing.  I've defended Petty plenty of times.  This isn't something I can defend and it's likely why he's not playing.

34 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

This really is the point.  This CS is not doing their jobs well enough.  Letting Fitz get away with his non progressions while his WR's are wide open as often as not.  Not deigning to work on Hack's mechanics during the season.  Now Petty being unschooled in what apparently is a basic concept.  

You guys are seriously over thinking this.

You can TELL a player to do a hundred things, sometimes they just can't.  If Fitz couldn't go through his progressions properly the last 10+ years, he isn't going to suddenly get it.  Hacks mechanical issues?  You realize that it's not like Tebow or something right?  It's cleaning up footwork, release point, compacting the motion, etc.  You don't work on that sh*t in the season with your coaches.  You may go to a personal guy (J. Palmer, T. House, George Whitfield Jr, etc.) to work on your off days or something, but Hack's responsibility right now is to stay in the classroom, run the scout team, and observe on Sundays to help himself adjust to the speed of the pro's.  Nothing else.  This is what EVERY coaching staff does.  Aaron Rodgers came into GB a mechanical MESS.  HE didn't work on a damn thing until he went through McCarthy's offseason QB "program" and completely reinvented himself.  

Petty not knowing this simple concept is more on him than anyone else.

Which will get Bigger once Fitz is knocked out of the game, since we don't have a Left Tackle. This makes the Tiny Linebacker pick even worse.

This has nothing to do with the Lee pick. There was absolutely no value at left tackle at that point in the draft.

Second round yes, but not where Lee was picked.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

He's facing a team that thrives on playing single safety, aggressive defense.  Unless Fitz taps into some Bills magic, almost guaranteed 2-3 interceptions in this game.  

Pretty much.  If I were a betting man, a switch will be made this game, despite Bowles saying there's no controversy (which I honestly just think is an answer to keep the media at bay).

12 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I like that he won't be pressured by the fans or media to do what he doesn't want to do, I respect that.  I disagree with him here but that's a good quality in a HC.

I think he's pressured by Gailey and some of the players to keep Fitz in there. Either that he he doesn't have a clue. This team has great talent. It's the coaches that get beat every week. Looking as bad as they do week in and week out goes on the backs of the coaches. I'm done with Bowles and Gailey. Can't support them anymore. And this team is going nowhere with these guys at the helm.

This whole QB thing is an exact replay of Herm in 2002 stubbornly saying "Vinny is my guy, the experienced guy. Chad isn't ready" for the first 4 or so weeks of the season until Morris Stroud made the decision for him

Then Chad put the team on his back and led them to the playoffs and a playoff win

The really ironic part of this mess is that Bowles had no problem pulling Fitz to make Geno the Pantload his starter vs the Ravens

And either Petty or Hack are better right now than Smith ever was

As much as I want Petty starting I don't believe this is all on Bowles. As an above poster stated Woody paid 12 million for the guy, not that makes it right to keep him in. If its not on Woody it's on Mac also, we are not in the locker room so we have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes. I just don't  think it is out of pure stubbornness that Bowles is keeping Fitz in, there is definitely some other factors at play. Either Petty is atrocious or Bowles is being pressured to keep Fitz in, how can we be sure that is not the case. It's clear to us fans Petty needs to be playing as Fitz sucks, but who the really knows what's going on.

If it is Bowles when does Mac step in? I am sure a lot will be revealed at the end of the season. If it is all on Bowles than shame on him.

9 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I think this is what is aggravating most fans - including myself.

Coaches aren't going to make great decisions all the time but you HAVE to be able to recognize when & why changes need to be made.

Bowles is clearly not seeing that.

It's good to stick by your players - but not when it gets to the point where it's detrimental to the team and that's where he's at with his undying support of Fitzpatrick.

What makes it worse is it's ruining the perfect opportunity to get Petty some valuable regular season reps and experience with the first team offense against other teams 1st team defenses.

The season is already a wash - Bowles has an opportunity to still do something positive with it - and he is pissing that opportunity away and doesn't seem to have the insight to realize it.

You are looking at the wrong side of the ball.

Not only is our defense the part of the team that is 100% of the reason why our record is 3-6, but the big-name big-money guys on that side of the ball are the ones causing all the locker room disruption.  Bowles has got to get those guys in the right mindset to play hard.  Benching Wilkerson and Richardson last week was the first step.  Making them own-up publicly on Tuesday was the second step.  The media coming down hard on Revis is another step. 

Throwing a completely inexperienced quarterback into the mix just makes things worse, not better.  First few games, everyone should expect Petty to play worse than Fitzpatrick, the guy hasn't seen the field since August and he's coming off a throwing arm injury.  We have games coming up on national TV, we basically represent the NFL from Week 11 to 14, a newb quarterback couldn't be put in a worse situation.

Bowles needs to fix the attitude of his defense who have been the NFL's biggest disappointment this year.  Sticking with the veteran QB who is 3-1 in winnable games (should be 4-0) and has been playing much better lately is the right move.

SAR I

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I think he's pressured by Gailey and some of the players to keep Fitz in there. Either that he he doesn't have a clue. This team has great talent. It's the coaches that get beat every week. Looking as bad as they do week in and week out goes on the backs of the coaches. I'm done with Bowles and Gailey. Can't support them anymore. And this team is going nowhere with these guys at the helm.

if he's being pressured by players and not strong enough to make his own decisions I would hate that.  I think he has done a terrible job but I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume this is his decision.

8 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I find it really funny that 75% here wanted Fitztragic back, some at any cost, and now you got your wish, you boys made your bed lye in it.

I only know of 3 posters on JN who wanted Fitzpatrick back.  I don't know of any Fitzpatrick fans.  I've never seen a Fitzpatrick jersey at any game I've attended last year or this year.  I think most Jets fans are like me-  we realized that with our killer opening schedule a vet like Fitz who had success last year was the right play if no other QB showed superiority in the preseason.  And that's what happened.

The "made your bed and lie in it" moment is for those who ran Mark Sanchez out of town thinking that 22 year old quarterbacks who could go on an 18-4 run and win 4 playoff games on the road are dime a dozen.  Those are the people who are feeling it right now.  Sanchez showed flashes, we should have invested more in him than Tony Sparano and Chaz Schilens.  I don't care what the film looked like, the kid was money in the postseason, he stepped up big to lead comebacks, he was the prototype for what we still seek today-  a decent quarterback who can game manage while our power running game and our dominant defense do their jobs.

In fact, one can argue that the reason Ryan Fitzpatrick is still our starter is because of these fans' reaction to the Buttfumble.  Oh so embarrassed by their Giants friends.  Oh so humiliated on ESPN every day.  Firefraud Ed staging a hissy fit.  All that negative press around a single play, Woody Johnson wanting to make you happy.  Every Geno Snap you saw, every Ryan Fitzpatrick snap you see, that's on you.  Your owner wants to please you, puts your sensitive millennial feelings above what's needed for the franchise.  Happy now?

SAR I

Bowles has officially signed his own walking papers after the season is over.  It's one thing to stick with your guys, but you can only be loyal up to a point, and it's obvious that Bowles hasn't figured that out. Winning a game or two more with Fitz at QB isn't going to Save Bowles' job, showing management that you can recognize whats good for the team make the tough decisions will.  He has failed the test.  He'll be fired two minutes after the season ends.  CYA!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Not only is our defense the part of the team that is 100% of the reason why our record is 3-6, but the big-name big-money guys on that side of the ball are the ones causing all the locker room disruption.  Bowles has got to get those guys in the right mindset to play hard.  Benching Wilkerson and Richardson last week was the first step.  Making them own-up publicly on Tuesday was the second step.  The media coming down hard on Revis is another step. 

Throwing a completely inexperienced quarterback into the mix just makes things worse, not better.  First few games, everyone should expect Petty to play worse than Fitzpatrick, the guy hasn't seen the field since August and he's coming off a throwing arm injury.  We have games coming up on national TV, we basically represent the NFL from Week 11 to 14, a newb quarterback couldn't be put in a worse situation.

Bowles needs to fix the attitude of his defense who have been the NFL's biggest disappointment this year.  Sticking with the veteran QB who is 3-1 in winnable games (should be 4-0) and has been playing much better lately is the right move.

SAR I

(except of the bold)  

I've mostly been on the other side of the "why we stink this year" argument but this is a good post and certainly food for thought.  But hey :) even a broken clock is right twice a day SAR I

17 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

(except of the bold)  

I've mostly been on the other side of the "why we stink this year" argument but this is a good post and certainly food for thought.  But hey :) even a broken clock is right twice a day SAR I

If not for special teams, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets would be 3-0 since the end of our 6 games-of-death streak heading into the Rams game and we'd be feeling a lot better about him and the direction of the franchise.

Not sure why so many still focus on the journeyman quarterback and not the spoiled brat defense, why so many jump on Bowles when they have no clue what Petty is showing in practice every day, very strange group of Jets fans we have right now with their conspiracy theories, the insane Geno love, never seen our fanbase this fractured before.

If you look at the upcoming schedule and look at how we've done the past month, there is no reason to expect the next 7 games to go 5-2 or 4-3.  Why anyone thinks the Jets would rather go 4-12 or 5-11 with national TV humiliations and damage to our ability to attract free agents as opposed to 8-8 or 7-9 where we salvage credibility and our coaching staff is beyond me.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Not arguing with your point about the defense needing to step up Scott, because you are correct.

However, we don't have younger players sitting on the sideline that have shown the potential to be better then the starters that are already out there.

My point is that Bowles undying loyalty to Fitzpatrick is hurting the team and hindering the development of Petty and Hackenburg.

But again, your points about the defense are completely valid.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If not for special teams, Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Jets would be 3-0 since the end of our 6 games-of-death streak heading into the Rams game and we'd be feeling a lot better about him and the direction of the franchise.

Not sure why so many still focus on the journeyman quarterback and not the spoiled brat defense, why so many jump on Bowles when they have no clue what Petty is showing in practice every day, very strange group of Jets fans we have right now with their conspiracy theories, the insane Geno love,  NEVER SEEN OUR FANBASE  THIS FRACTURED  BEFORE.

If you look at the upcoming schedule and look at how we've done the past month, there is no reason to expect the next 7 games to go 5-2 or 4-3.  Why anyone thinks the Jets would rather go 4-12 or 5-11 with national TV humiliations and damage to our ability to attract free agents as opposed to 8-8 or 7-9 where we salvage credibility and our coaching staff is beyond me.

SAR I

You make some very valid points.  Just want to add, that even though Bowles may not have lost the locker room, based on what we have been reading, he has lost a significant number of members of the fanbase. 

There is a QB controversy but Bowles is too dumb to recognize it. Play Petty, let's see what the kid is all about with first team offense against first team defense. At 3-6, you aren't making the playoffs. Every win will hurt your draft position. Bowles is dumb as rock.  

5 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

There is a QB controversy but Bowles is too dumb to recognize it. Play Petty, let's see what the kid is all about with first team offense against first team defense. At 3-6, you aren't making the playoffs. Every win will hurt your draft position. Bowles is dumb as rock.  

Don't worry . the Rams pass rush will send Fitz to the sidelines eventually . PETTY TIME !!!

32 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

My point is that Bowles undying loyalty to Fitzpatrick is hurting the team and hindering the development of Petty and Hackenburg.

But again, your points about the defense are completely valid.

Thing there is that Bowles is a robot, he's well-schooled in the "give them nothing" verbal approach of Bill Belichick, there is nothing at all to indicate that Ryan Fitzpatrick is someone he is being loyal to.  Frankly, I wish I could buy into that theory because it would make me feel a lot better about the alternative that looks more and more like the truth:   Bryce Petty isn't very good.

Some evidence.  Let's go CSI:

1.  Bowles comments that "he's our starter" during the free agent period was just a way to let Fitzpatrick know we wanted him back.  Bowles was also quoted during the same time period saying Geno Smith is "light years" better than he was the year before.  It was HC/GM posturing during the free agent period, nothing more.

2.  In preseason, Bryce did not get #2 reps, he was the #3 at Washington, it was never revealed if Bryce Petty was going to remain on the roster.  His injury allowed us to keep 4 quarterbacks the easy way.  And by the time Bryce was ready to return, Geno was already IR'd.  Again, one can easily infer here that Petty was going to be cut in August but hung around only due to injuries.

3.  When Fitzpatrick mouthed off about "lack of support" from the head coach, GM, and owner, Bowles ripped him with his "if playing pissed off is going to stop the turnovers, great, play pissed off" comment.  Bowles treats all his players this matter-of-factly through the media, Fitzpatrick was shown no preferential treatment.

4.  Bowles benched Fitzpatrick for Geno, not Petty.  He said "It was time for a change.  "We have guys of equal talent, and on an equal talent level. When one isn't playing well, you try to turn to the other one. That's what we did."   Again, benching your $12M quarterback is not a sign of preferential treatment.  Going with Geno instead of Petty is telling.

5.  We sit here with the season over at 3-6 and no rational reason to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick under center other than trying to win as many games as possible or the fact that Petty is not someone they want to see because he's not part of our future.

Bottom line is that while many of you believe the "Bowles is too loyal to Ryan Fitzpatrick" theory, the facts don't support it.  It supports something far more ominous.  It supports the "Petty was going to get cut and Hackenberg isn't ready" theory which is far more credible.

SAR I

Thing there is that Bowles is a robot, he's well-schooled in the "give them nothing" verbal approach of Bill Belichick, there is nothing at all to indicate that Ryan Fitzpatrick is someone he is being loyal to.  Frankly, I wish I could buy into that theory because it would make me feel a lot better about the alternative that looks more and more like the truth:   Bryce Petty isn't very good.
1.  Bowles comments that "he's our starter" during the free agent period was just a way to let Fitzpatrick know we wanted him back.  Bowles was also quoted during the same time period saying Geno Smith is "light years" better than he was the year before.  It was HC/GM posturing during the free agent period, nothing more.
2.  In preseason, Bryce did not get #2 reps, he was the #3 at Washington, it was never revealed if Bryce Petty was going to remain on the roster.  His injury allowed us to keep 4 quarterbacks the easy way.  And by the time Bryce was ready to return, Geno was already IR'd.  Again, one can easily infer here that Petty was going to be cut in August but hung around only due to injuries.
3.  When Fitzpatrick mouthed off about "lack of support" from the head coach, GM, and owner, Bowles ripped him with his "if playing pissed off is going to stop the turnovers, great, play pissed off" comment.  Bowles treats all his players this matter-of-factly through the media, Fitzpatrick was shown no preferential treatment.
4.  Bowles benched Fitzpatrick for Geno, not Petty.  He said "It was time for a change.  "We have guys of equal talent, and on an equal talent level. When one isn't playing well, you try to turn to the other one. That's what we did."   Again, benching your $12M quarterback is not a sign of preferential treatment.  Going with Geno instead of Petty is telling.
5.  We sit here with the season over at 3-6 and no rational reason to keep Ryan Fitzpatrick under center other than trying to win as many games as possible or the fact that Petty is not someone they want to see because he's not part of our future.
Bottom line is that while many of you believe the "Bowles is too loyal to Ryan Fitzpatrick" theory, the facts don't support it.  It supports something far more ominous.  It supports the "Petty was going to get cut and Hackenberg isn't ready" theory which is far more credible.
SAR I

Your point #4 is worst mistake Coach Bowles ever made as a Jet HC.

To say publicly that Smith was of equal talent with Fitzpatrick or with any QB is a huge misjudgment of talent. Luckily #91 in purple saved him from it.

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Your post contains a lot of assumptions Scott.

You are quoting "sound bites" and quotes from throughout the year and interpreting them in your own perception of the events - that doesn't make your conclusions fact.

Benching Fitzpatrick for one game was a half-hearted attempt at trying to motivate Fitzpatrick which didn't get the job done - he should have stayed benched and when Geno went down, the ball should have been handed to Petty, period. If Petty wasn't ready then you let Hack get some regular season snaps; running right back to Fitzpatrick was a step backward.

Petty showed enough in the pre-season to justify a closer look & I would rather let Petty play in a regular season environment with our starters and see for myself what he is - or what he is not.

At least going forward, we would have all of the QB questions answered and know for certain what needs to be done going into the off-season.

Keeping Fitzpatrick under center is accomplishing nothing and it certainly isn't winning us games.

You don't know for certain what a QB is - or is not, until he has some pro-longed exposure to a regular season environment as a starter, playing with the starters.

The Jets have the opportunity to do that with Petty and to give Hackenburg some experience preparing weekly as a back-up.

This is the perfect scenario to try and develop our young QB's and give them some invaluable regular season experience; to piss that opportunity away for any reason or assumption is inexcusable and not in the team's best interest.

Archived