Bowles: No QB Controversy

JetNation

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So either Petty is really, really bad or Bowles is really, really dumb.

I'm not sure there's any other ways to explain this.

Bowles has really gotten exposed this season.  A tougher schedule and a little adversity and all of a sudden he looks like Rich Kotite

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Pretty much.  If I were a betting man, a switch will be made this game, despite Bowles saying there's no controversy (which I honestly just think is an answer to keep the media at bay).

I don't see how he does well in this one.  From my limited exposure to them, they seem like the defense that's built to stop guys like Fitz.  They dare people to beat them deep, and overly aggressive on everything.  Plenty of blitzes up the A and B gaps, corner blitzes, very similar to a Rex Ryan defense, but more disciplined.  I see a few, one step and chuck throws from Fitz in the face of a blitz.  

I think the only reason why they might legitimately avoid Petty is because, much like Rex, they throw a ton of exotic looks on defense and Petty might not be ready for that.  While the Pats tend to be really good with their looks, at least they have history with them to know the tendencies.  

Safe to say, Rams will be my DFS defense this Sunday.  I think 2 picks are guaranteed, unless they go completely safe, which means minimal points scored.   

• Upvote 1

If we were 4-5 and had beaten the Fins we'd have a chance but now we don't. We're not making it. Let's get the ship in order first. Give Bowles a chance to coach this team because things have gone south and not in a pleasant way. Let him make the call on who plays and on discipline. And try to get more esp out of the defense. They've actually looked somewhat better lately. That loss on Sunday was not primarily on them. Around the NFL Bowles is not considered to be an idiot. He's got the respect of a lot of people. Hopefully that includes his own team. 

17 hours ago, Mogglez said:

You guys are seriously over thinking this.

You can TELL a player to do a hundred things, sometimes they just can't.  If Fitz couldn't go through his progressions properly the last 10+ years, he isn't going to suddenly get it.  Hacks mechanical issues?  You realize that it's not like Tebow or something right?  It's cleaning up footwork, release point, compacting the motion, etc.  You don't work on that sh*t in the season with your coaches.  You may go to a personal guy (J. Palmer, T. House, George Whitfield Jr, etc.) to work on your off days or something, but Hack's responsibility right now is to stay in the classroom, run the scout team, and observe on Sundays to help himself adjust to the speed of the pro's.  Nothing else.  This is what EVERY coaching staff does.  Aaron Rodgers came into GB a mechanical MESS.  HE didn't work on a damn thing until he went through McCarthy's offseason QB "program" and completely reinvented himself.  

Petty not knowing this simple concept is more on him than anyone else.

But maybe its you who is over thinking this . Petty played under a spread offense in college, the terminology and language is probably worlds apart. Its like asking you to do a task with english instructions . Then asking you to do the same with Russian instructions, you understand the concept but the words don't make sense. 

10 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

As much as I want Petty starting I don't believe this is all on Bowles. As an above poster stated Woody paid 12 million for the guy, not that makes it right to keep him in. If its not on Woody it's on Mac also, we are not in the locker room so we have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes. I just don't  think it is out of pure stubbornness that Bowles is keeping Fitz in, there is definitely some other factors at play. Either Petty is atrocious or Bowles is being pressured to keep Fitz in, how can we be sure that is not the case. It's clear to us fans Petty needs to be playing as Fitz sucks, but who the really knows what's going on.

If it is Bowles when does Mac step in? I am sure a lot will be revealed at the end of the season. If it is all on Bowles than shame on him.

They just cut a guy (Jenkins) making 3M I doubt its a money issue. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

But maybe its you who is over thinking this . Petty played under a spread offense in college, the terminology and language is probably worlds apart. Its like asking you to do a task with english instructions . Then asking you to do the same with Russian instructions, you understand the concept but the words don't make sense. 

I played QB. I knew the difference between the defensive concepts in question before my freshman year of High School.  If Petty knew the concept but after years of being a QB couldn't figure out the difference before hitting the NFL, than that's even worse. I'm a supporter of his (and Hackenberg), I hope that isn't the case. 

19 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Petty is going to be brutal, but let him play

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

how can you make this statement when he has not played a down yet in the NFL other than a few snaps and handoffs last week ? He threw 61 TD's and 10 Int's in College I don't give a damn what system he was in that's pretty impressive and he did look good in preseason

On 11/10/2016 at 7:42 PM, bassmaster2 said:

What is the GM saying about this QB problem ,he is the guy taking a QB every draft and none if the QB are playing

What can he say? He is also the moron who resigned Fitz when no other team showed the slightest interest.  You would think that would have been a red flag.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I wouldn't go that far, but I understand the thought. Never give a rookie/2nd year head coach Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

It makes the situation worse. 

Don't try and bait me with the Ryan Fitzpatrick crap while he's playing bad and a lot worse than anyone expected this is a horribly coached football team failing on just about every level and it seems the players have given up on the coach as well. Players not showing up for meeting's players getting more vocal. These are all signs Bowles is losing this team and losing it fast. With the talent we have no way should we be in the position we are in and see very little in the way of adjustment.

Moving Sheldon to LB is ridiculous and stupid. Constantly blitzing safeties while getting relentlessly beat over the top is also stupid. Having a QB who should be running a short passing ball control offense slinging the ball all over the field with all his WR's running deeper routes than they probably should be is stupid. Throwing the ball downfield on 3rd and short numerous times with empty backfields is stupid. The stupid list is long and we simply do not adjust. If I were the GM I would have fired Bowles mid season (right about now) moved an interim coach in place and gave him orders to play the young QB's on the roster so I could make an educated decision as to whether this team needs to seriously think about getting a QB in this up coming draft and when I say QB I mean moving up as much as it takes to get the best one available

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I played QB. I knew the difference between the defensive concepts in question before my freshman year of High School.  If Petty knew the concept but after years of being a QB couldn't figure out the difference before hitting the NFL, than that's even worse. I'm a supporter of his (and Hackenberg), I hope that isn't the case. 

You did? Then suit up man. You are going in. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't try and bait me with the Ryan Fitzpatrick crap while he's playing bad and a lot worse than anyone expected this is a horribly coached football team failing on just about every level and it seems the players have given up on the coach as well. Players not showing up for meeting's players getting more vocal. These are all signs Bowles is losing this team and losing it fast. With the talent we have no way should we be in the position we are in and see very little in the way of adjustment.

Moving Sheldon to LB is ridiculous and stupid. Constantly blitzing safeties while getting relentlessly beat over the top is also stupid. Having a QB who should be running a short passing ball control offense slinging the ball all over the field with all his WR's running deeper routes than they probably should be is stupid. Throwing the ball downfield on 3rd and short numerous times with empty backfields is stupid. The stupid list is long and we simply do not adjust. If I were the GM I would have fired Bowles mid season (right about now) moved an interim coach in place and gave him orders to play the young QB's on the roster so I could make an educated decision as to whether this team needs to seriously think about getting a QB in this up coming draft and when I say QB I mean moving up as much as it takes to get the best one available

Bowles is like having the flu. Just makes every single ache and pain that much worse. 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You did? Then suit up man. You are going in. 

Haha I wish.  Life had other plans though.  I miss playing but I'm cozy with my hospital job nowadays.  

Might loosen up the oleeeee south-paw dragon if it gets any worse though. 😆

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Bait you? I'm just giving my opinion man. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Bait you? I'm just giving my opinion man. 

right but you know for a fact this entire team is failing on an epic level yet you choose to make it all about the QB by not giving the poor second year coach Ryan Fitzpatrick . Certainly last year had  a lasting effect on Bowles enough for him to get Fitz back and for Macc to get Fitz back. That being said this team stinks because of just about every level and while Yes that does include the QB you can't just point at him when everything fails

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

right but you know for a fact this entire team is failing on an epic level yet you choose to make it all about the QB by not giving the poor second year coach Ryan Fitzpatrick . Certainly last year had  a lasting effect on Bowles enough for him to get Fitz back and for Macc to get Fitz back. That being said this team stinks because of just about every level and while Yes that does include the QB you can't just point at him when everything fails

I don't want to bait you, though you entered the convo all by your self. lol