Petty was bad

kevinc855

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either.  It looked like he lost his rhythm in the game, and the Rams cut off the short passes.  They needed to take more shots down the field, but for some reason Chan really seemed to go away from it.  It was't a good debut, but he should improve.  

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either.  It looked like he lost his rhythm in the game, and the Rams cut off the short passes.  They needed to take more shots down the field, but for some reason Chan really seemed to go away from it.  It was't a good debut, but he should improve.  

Are you going to do a Petty passing game review? I may actually look at this one. 

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

First game ever against a good D and Chan Gailey calling the plays. Give it a rest. It's beyond insane to rip on him for one game.

But it is soooo Jets like. I wonder if Mariota or Winston last year had poor games with all first team reps?

Jets fans will not permit a QB develop here properly. 

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

But it is soooo Jets like. I wonder if Mariota or Winston last year had poor games with all first team reps?

This is proof that they will never accept a full rebuild, which unless they get lucky, will stick the Jets in permanent mediocrity

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

This is proof that they will never accept a full rebuild, which unless they get lucky, will stick the Jets in permanent mediocrity

You are right and it is embarrassing!!!

Petty didn't come in on a winning team but a losing one and it was his first start.  

Are we Insane!!

He wasnt "bad". 

He looked like a 4th round pick getting his first ever action in the NFL while being coached by a bunch of absolute morons.  He looked like he was being coached by parents taking their new born out to dinner for the first time.  He might as well have played the game in one of these:

6104NPRST1L.jpg

First game I've missed in 48 hrs I'm done until Hack is ready --------next year-----it's time to think about what he needs------maybe a tight end we haven't  had  one  since mickey shuler-----sorry for the rant I'm old and I think we will meet aliens before the JETS get back to the SB

53 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

You know what's going to be even worse? When we are in position to draft Kizer or Watson, but we don't, because Hack, and then watch either or both go onto be awesome. You know that's going to happen. 

Both Kizer, and Watson are day 2 prospects, if the Jets draft either in the 1st round shoot me please.

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well in fairness, he did spend almost a week getting slightly more than half the first team reps after getting a public vote of no-confidence by his injured teammate. 

It says a lot IMO that the coach was leading this kind of weak thinking !!!

What happened to next man up???

i blame the HC, Bowles.  

And let me clear I want Bowles to stay and be retained.  

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

This is true. Petty should start going forward. Even with his bad first game.

We don't gain anything by going back to Fitz.

Petty can't be judged off this game.   An understandably very controlled game plan.   Kids first start.

Petty's hero is Bret Farve.  He has an excellent arm and a " Gun slinger mentality".  Give him the rest of the season with a full game plan.  

W's and L's don't matter anymore this season.  What matters is to see if Petty has the gumption to be an NFL QB.  Going into next offseason it will help a lot to know if Petty has a chance to be the QB of the future, or if they should move on.

Saying he sucks because of today is stupid

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

That's the cold hard reality. 6 points on the board, a missed td pass, a few other missed open passes and a late interception to lose the game. Yes he had a nice throw to Anderson but beside that I didn't see much. All in all, he looked bad in my humble opinion 

I agree, but I take it with a grain of salt. It was his first start and I don't think Gailey called a game that played to his strength. He is a decent long passer and should have been able to take a few shots down the field. Yes, he missed Anderson on one wide open, but at least the play was there to be made and if given another shot who knows? Once again, and as always, Jets coaching is tighter than an air tight seal and lacking in creativity and guts.

That's the cold hard reality. 6 points on the board, a missed td pass, a few other missed open passes and a late interception to lose the game. Yes he had a nice throw to Anderson but beside that I didn't see much. All in all, he looked bad in my humble opinion 

Boy oh boy, you went from cheering for the playoffs to killing a young QB in his 1st ever NFL start missing his LT & Center on a team with a bottom 5 roster. Now personally I don't think this is a bottom 5 roster, more somewhere between 18-25 but Bowles is a terrible coach. Any decent coach would have more than 3 wins this year.

If your going forward with young QBs which the Jets will be you've got to put the coaching together to make them successful. Keeping Bowles who clearly has no feel for the game & not turning the reigns over to an offensive minded coaches is a complete & utter waste of time. Bowles has shown not one iota that he's getting better as a coach. In fact today's game returned football to the ice age. Everyone subjected to that game would rather have their eyes bathed in acid & poked with a barbecue tine.

2 minutes ago, Xtina said:

The kid drove 99 yards down the field for a TD. Not bad for your first start against this D. Then Chan shut him down for some reason... who knows why 

yeah it was weird like they predetermined he would suck, so they had nothing in the game plan.  I thought he showed enough poise and decision making early to give him some first down throws, and he is a good athlete but they had 1 roll out that I remember.  

they wound up eventually is must throw situations, and boom INT

yes he was, but I want to see more .  This exhibition should put to rest the reason why Fans don't understand the QB Depth chart  .  Fitz was better than Smith who was better than Petty who is better than Hackenberg .  There's very little substitute for experience in any work situation .

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

yes he was, but I want to see more .  This exhibition should put to rest the reason why Fans don't understand the QB Depth chart  .  Fitz was better than Smith who was better than Petty who is better than Hackenberg .  There's very little substitute for experience in any work situation .

I mean it's obvious that fans expect Tom Brady situations to occur on every team

27 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Charlie I disagree we are QB hungry fanbase I need to see positives some positives Petty held the ball too long today looked very slow either you have it or you dont. 

Gailey called a sh*t game also. 

20 minutes ago, Falcon jet said:

First game I've missed in 48 hrs I'm done until Hack is ready --------next year-----it's time to think about what he needs------maybe a tight end we haven't  had  one  since mickey shuler-----sorry for the rant I'm old and I think we will meet aliens before the JETS get back to the SB

Hack won't be ready next year. See you in 2018. 

13 minutes ago, Xtina said:

The kid drove 99 yards down the field for a TD. Not bad for your first start against this D. Then Chan shut him down for some reason... who knows why 

Because Chan sucks.  He called a sh*tty game.  

Petty played OK and Chan without a doubt called an abysmal game. It shouldn't matter if he throws 5 ints, if the goal is to see if he's our future then the last thing we need to be doing here is protecting him with bad playcalling.

Throw this mother****er into the water and it's sink or swim. Enough with the bad quarterback play and conservative playcalling.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

What we've heard unofficially about Petty was that the CS wasn't high on him or didn't think he was ready. Sure it's one start and most Qbs need starts to elevate their game. But today he wasn't ready. 

I disagree. I don't think you could tell based on what they let him do. 

7 minutes ago, Xtina said:

I disagree. I don't think you could tell based on what they let him do. 

Look he just didn't execute very well. And the team was shut out in the second half. The defense played well. He wasn't in the situation Fitz was usually in having to play two scores or more behind. There wasn't anything wrong with plays called. And he said after the game that because of inexperience he checked down too much. I'd have gone deeper at least a few more times. But maybe those plays were called and he just wasn't able to do it.

Your opinion is not fact. considering this was his first start and how far he's progressed considering his Baylor elementary offensive background, Petty was fine and FINALLY gives us a DEEP BALL ability and threat from the QB position we' haven't consistently seen since Vinny T. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Your opinion is not fact. considering this was his first start and how far he's progressed considering his Baylor elementary offensive background, Petty was fine and FINALLY gives us a DEEP BALL ability and threat from the QB position we' haven't consistently seen since Vinny T. 

It's would just be really cool if Chan would let him throw that deep ball.

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Petty can't be judged off this game.   An understandably very controlled game plan.   Kids first start...

Saying he sucks because of today is stupid

Amen to the bolded.

Its his first start, what did people expect?  As I mentioned previously, as exciting as it would have been to have Petty come in and play like Farve in his prime is not logical or realistic.  

He showed some good and some bad in his first start.  The CS employed a very conservative game plan and you have to wonder if he was nervous and thinking he was in a short leash, since Fitz was dressed.  

He's said it himself, he plays better when he doesn't think, just reacts.  Let's hope he starts in two weeks after getting the first team reps and we can see if he progresses.  I'd give him all the starts from here on out and evaluate after the season.

Archived