The future is Petty. Let go of your hate.

CobraVerde

Let it go. Let go of your hate for Bowles. Your hate for Gaily. Your hate for Fitzpatrick. Your hate for Geno. Your hate for Revis. Your hate for whoever else has pissed you off this year. Cause all it's gonna do is make you look ridiculous and really only going to ruin your day. Petty played good today. Nobody told you to not go into this game not only already knowing that LA has a really good defense but also with the expectation that Petty would lose his first start. He literally was thrown in the fire. On top of that it was painfully obvious that they beat into his head to not turn it over and if the first look wasnt open just check it down to the running back. The kid did a sold job and when they finally let him loose it was on the final drive to win the game so you cant totally blame him for getting picked. They didnt set him up for success but they didnt really set him up for failure. In the end they had a shot which is what you want with a 3 win team. Winning in this league means winning the division. Like come on, how long have we been here that you don't know this? And winning the division against the Pats is like 14+ games plus sweeping them. When was the last time that happened? EXACTLY! So why are you getting ridiculous when this dude is making his first NFL start?! You have see the silver lining in that we have FINALLY CAST FITZPATRICK AND GENO ASIDE. There is no reason to go back to them barring injury for the rest of the season. Petty showed he had composure, control of his troops and you could tell he wanted to gun but was holding back cause of the leash.You allowed yourself to believe this team could function with Fitzpatrick and Geno, why would you not give Petty the same courtesy and let him play out the season before calling for heads? Yes we are all disappointed but come on, did you honestly think we would win against Brady or whoever with Fitzpatrick or Geno? Thats on you so take responsibility for your own mistake. You have at least five seasons of proof with Fitzpatrick and 2 years with Geno. Be happy that Bowles finally made the switch (I expected it after the bye). I think a lot of people are still expecting Bowles to be like Rex and yell and act stupid but he's not. He's down to earth and even keel. He's gonna always play it by the book and once and awhile take the shot. That why Gaily needs to be aggressive and I fully expect them to the more Petty sees the field. The dude has size and an arm. He's best in shotgun and with no huddle but those are things this team doesnt do so we are just gonna have to ride it out until they shape the playbook around Petty's strengths. 

We finally have a young, good, real QB who will have weapons around him. And a defense thats highly ranked. We will finally go into next year not having to worry about QB. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

The problem I have is the Jets holding him back, you can't learn without making mistakes, let Petty sling it, and get all the kinks out now, and if he is a viable starter for next year he will be a better QB for it.

The kid in his 1st start in the NFL threw the ball 32 times not including when he was sacked >  32 passing attempts .  What do you people want ?

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The kid in his 1st start in the NFL threw the ball 32 times not including when he was sacked >  32 passing attempts .  What do you people want ?

Now take all the passes that traveled less than 5 yards in the air, it's probably like 12.  The Jets coaches wouldn't let Petty go out, and lose this game they held him back, and he listened IMO.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Now take all the passes that traveled less than 5 yards in the air, it's probably like 12.  The Jets coaches wouldn't let Petty go out, and lose this game they held him back, and he listened IMO.

Since I have no knowledge of what the coaching staff actually called or said to Bryce Petty, I think I will take him at his own word . In his post game interview he mentioned his comfort level with throwing the ball downfield and how it played a part in his decision making .

The coach calls the play, the QB reads the defense and decides where to go with the ball . His decisions, his throws .  It is what it is . In 3 more weeks, he make different decisions because his comfort level is stronger .

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Hack hater

No no dont misunderstand. Hack is the backup. Plain and simple. Hes gotta know his place just like Petty, just like Geno, Just like Fitzpatrick etc. You keep Hack ready at all times If Petty faulters over the season you switch it up. You aint gonna throw Hack in there cause he knows less than Petty right now.

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

only 2 of the passes were > 10 yards or so

also in 1st half after TD Chan called 6 running plays in a row - talk about taking the air out

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The problem I have is the Jets holding him back, you can't learn without making mistakes, let Petty sling it, and get all the kinks out now, and if he is a viable starter for next year he will be a better QB for it.

Totally agree. Why TF are you playing so f-ing scared at 3-6?

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

And that it what you want. Someone who listens at the start and has to potential to think on his own later. Fitzpatrick ignores everyone and only does what he wants both on the field and off. Geno just cant do anything right. Petty is a sponge right now.

45 minutes ago, CobraVerde said:

No no dont misunderstand. Hack is the backup. Plain and simple. Hes gotta know his place just like Petty, just like Geno, Just like Fitzpatrick etc. You keep Hack ready at all times If Petty faulters over the season you switch it up. You aint gonna throw Hack in there cause he knows less than Petty right now.

just messin with you bro. 

43 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

But we owe it to Ryan Fitzpatrick.. He has given so much to this franchise.. We must allow him to play and showcase himself to potential teams for 2017.. It is much more important than letting petty get experience and seeing if he actually has a chance to be anything more than a #2. 

For the record, Ryan Fitzpatrick wins today's game. 

In fact, if not for the special teams screwing up in Miami last week, we'd have won 4 in a row under Fitzpatrick, we'd be 5-5 right now and feeling positive about our contest against the Patriots. 

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In fact, if not for the special teams screwing up in Miami last week, we'd have won 4 in a row under Fitzpatrick, we'd be 5-5 right now and feeling positive about our contest against the Patriots. 

SAR I

How do you figure that?  He would not have hit Anderson so with Fitz one could argue we would have lost 9 to 0

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And we would've gotten pummeled by the Pats and finish the season 7-9 with no clue who our QB of the future is.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

In the big picture I'd prefer seeing what we got in the young bucks and getting a higher draft pick than living the false hope of a Fitzpatrick led Jets. 

This off season will probably be a blood bath - better now to cut out the poison.  Mangold, Revis, Harris, Giaco , Fitz - maybe Richardson, maybe Marshall, Decker, Skrine, Gilchrist.  Time to take the medicine.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Love the premise, but I got news for you . If these guys don't pick it up, Jet fans are going to be peed off when Geno Smith gets resigned .

Neg-Repped purely for suggesting Geno Smith might be resigned.

Don't even utter those WORDS dammit.  

6 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

How do you figure that?  He would not have hit Anderson so with Fitz one could argue we would have lost 9 to 0

Fitzpatrick would have moved the ball, Gailey would have trusted him with a bigger playbook, and the occasional scramble would have turned punts into first downs.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, Mecca said:

And we would've gotten pummeled by the Pats and finish the season 7-9 with no clue who our QB of the future is.

This is true.  And I support it completely.

That's why I find it so amusing that so many are down on Petty.  What exactly did they expect?  The odds are 1 in 100 that he is the franchise quarterback we have been waiting 40 years for.  The process of validating is ability is not to see if he is The Man.  It's to confirm that he's not.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

In the big picture I'd prefer seeing what we got in the young bucks and getting a higher draft pick than living the false hope of a Fitzpatrick led Jets.

This off season will probably be a blood bath - better now to cut out the poison.  Mangold, Revis, Harris, Giaco , Fitz - maybe Richardson, maybe Marshall, Decker, Skrine, Gilchrist.  Time to take the medicine.

Exactly.

My point about Fitzpatrick winning today's game is directed at those who actually want us to win.  If you want a chance to win, you stick with Fitzpatrick. 

If you want to validate the future, you put in Petty and get ready for a lot of losing.

So to hear people who lobbied for Petty start whining about how he didn't play well it's ludicrous.  Where do these people come from?  Have they not watched football for the past 20 years?

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

He would have thrown a interception or 3

Stop.  Outside of the Kansas City game, Fitzpatrick was throwing his typical 1 INT per game but doing enough with his savvy and his feet to generate offense.

Let me remind you that if not for special teams blunders and secondary blunders, we'd be 6-4 right now with this same Ryan Fitzpatrick you are so down on.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

My point about Fitzpatrick winning today's game is directed at those who actually want us to win.  If you want a chance to win, you stick with Fitzpatrick. 

If you want to validate the future, you put in Petty and get ready for a lot of losing.

So to hear people who lobbied for Petty start whining about how he didn't play well it's ludicrous.  Where do these people come from?  Have they not watched football for the past 20 years?

SAR I

Sign me up for the losing (and better draft pick)

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Stop.  Outside of the Kansas City game, Fitzpatrick was throwing his typical 1 INT per game but doing enough with his savvy and his feet to generate offense.

Let me remind you that if not for special teams blunders and secondary blunders, we'd be 6-4 right now with this same Ryan Fitzpatrick you are so down on.

SAR I

Well I was all for Fitz until we were eliminated 

But lets not be revisionists here.. Fitz was worst in league 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sign me up for the losing (and better draft pick)

I'm sort of with you but I'm talking myself out of the "validate Petty" bit.

It's about this particular team.  I'm thinking you can't put a newb quarterback into this toxic locker room and under these failing coaches asking him to lead these checked-out players in the middle of a pathetic season and expect to learn anything. 

So we will lose, yes.  And we will get a higher draft pick, yes.  But will we have learned anything about Bryce Petty under these circumstances?  I don't think so. 

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Well I was all for Fitz until we were eliminated 

But lets not be revisionists here.. Fitz was worst in league 

Agree on all points.  But I can't agree that we should be looking at today's game as anything other than an exhibition game to see what our longshot quarterback project looks like.

And remember the composition of the rest of the team-  the pathetic secondary, the checked-out fat cats with their contracts, the disappearing pass rush, the in-house suspensions for laziness, the beat up OL, double teamed Marshall without Decker.  At least under Fitzpatrick there is the possibility for a decent offensive game.  With Petty, these players are resigned to the fact that we are only going to get worse and they don't appreciate being tackling dummies to prove a fourth rounder is worthy of being cut in February.

SAR I

Had they let Petty sling it he might've thrown 4 picks and looked worse than he did today. His accuracy was bad as was his decision making and pocket presence. You seen why they were hesitant to play him. He was bad today but at least we get to see what we have in Petty, and hopefully he improves from his performance today and by the end of the season he looks much more promising. 

Just now, August said:

Had they let Petty sling it he might've thrown 4 picks and looked worse than he did today. His accuracy was bad as was his decision making and pocket presence. You seen why they were hesitant to play him. He was bad today but at least we get to see what we have in Petty, and hopefully he improves from his performance today and by the end of the season he looks much more promising. 

That might work on conventional NFL teams with front offices and coaching staffs that command player respect.

But we are now the Cleveland Browns.  The players don't respect the coaches or themselves.  As the games go by and as the losses pile up they will play worse and worse and we'll learn nothing about Petty other than if he can take a hit.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree on all points.  But I can't agree that we should be looking at today's game as anything other than an exhibition game to see what our longshot quarterback project looks like.

And remember the composition of the rest of the team-  the pathetic secondary, the checked-out fat cats with their contracts, the disappearing pass rush, the in-house suspensions for laziness, the beat up OL, double teamed Marshall without Decker.  At least under Fitzpatrick there is the possibility for a decent offensive game.  With Petty, these players are resigned to the fact that we are only going to get worse and they don't appreciate being tackling dummies to prove a fourth rounder is worthy of being cut in February.

SAR I

He is getting valuable experience ...so are the kids at WR. ...so is Wesley and Ben.......so is bostik...yes it is not fair to compare Pettys play to Dak because of obvious reasons but Petty to me seems like he needs to play to get better.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That might work on conventional NFL teams with front offices and coaching staffs that command player respect.

But we are now the Cleveland Browns.  The players don't respect the coaches or themselves.  As the games go by and as the losses pile up they will play worse and worse and we'll learn nothing about Petty other than if he can take a hit.

SAR I

So what's your suggestion?

Archived