Tom Coughlin: I don't know if I'll coach again

drdetroit

Just saw Jon Gruden ask Tom Coughlin point blank on MNF if he will coach again.  Coughlin's response was basically: "I don't know, the right opportunity has to be there."  

He sounded like he was actually quite interested; ironic considering the Giants had just put him in their ring of honor tonight in hopes of sending him off to the sunset forever.  A 70 year old guy just inaugurated into the Giants' ring of honor would typically say "No, I like fishing!"

Tom Coughlin still wants to coach.  I say make him our next Head Coach.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Just saw Jon Gruden ask Tom Coughlin point blank on MNF if he will coach again.  Coughlin's response was basically: "I don't know, the right opportunity has to be there."  

He sounded like he was actually quite interested; ironic considering the Giants had just put him in their ring of honor tonight in hopes of sending him off to the sunset forever.  A 70 year old guy just inaugurated into the Giants' ring of honor would typically say "No, I like fishing!"

Tom Coughlin still wants to coach.  I say make him our next Head Coach.

Guys in incredible shape. 

I began typing a post earlier today about hiring Coughlin, but like most things Jets this season, I found something else more interesting to do... and never finished.

I will say, I agree.

Tired of the 1st-time HC model that Woody employs. He's a typical 1%-er, knowing full well that a business model selling this year's version of hope is going to be a cash cow, without ever having to have to move the needle competitively. If we win, that's great, but the real money is in the come-back for desperate fans of a franchise that packages a sh*t product as "a new hope" every couple of years.

Smart model for a business owner. Horrible model for a fan to experience, or better yet be stuck with.

Get me an experienced coach, that runs the whole team, and most importantly knows how to work WITH the GM on building the roster. 

FML that we're on like out 4th or 5th coach in a row that can't manage the clock in-game.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I began typing a post earlier today about hiring Coughlin, but like most things Jets this season, I found something else more interesting to do... and never finished.

I will say, I agree.

Tired of the 1st-time HC model that Woody employs. He's a typical 1%-er, knowing full well that a business model selling this year's version of hope is going to be a cash cow, without ever having to have to move the needle competitively. If we win, that's great, but the real money is in the come-back for desperate fans of a franchise that packages a sh*t product as "a new hope" every couple of years.

Smart model for a business owner. Horrible model for a fan to experience, or better yet be stuck with.

Get me an experienced coach, that runs the whole team, and most importantly knows how to work WITH the GM on building the roster. 

FML that we're on like out 4th or 5th coach in a row that can't manage the clock in-game.

Replacing Bowles with Coughlin is a no-brainer.

The guy clearly wants to coach again and stick it to the Giants and anyone who says he's too old.  The Giants just gave him a a huge "Go F off forever here's a parade and shiny medal for you" ceremony and he immediately says on national TV he wants to coach again.

I think there is absolutely no chance Woody would ever hire a Giants icon, but that one is a slam dunk. This franchise is so desperately in need of a culture change from the top-down.

That said, I really don't think Woody would ever do this. Look at the track record. Belichick ran away fast as hell. He passed on Cowher to keep Tannenbaum because he knew he'd have a say in things. He hasn't let his last two GMs choose their own coaches. This is not a guy that's about to hire someone with Coughlin's type of stature.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think there is absolutely no chance Woody would ever hire a Giants icon, but that one is a slam dunk. This franchise is so desperately in need of a culture change from the top-down.

That said, I really don't think Woody would ever do this. Look at the track record. Belichick ran away fast as hell. He passed on Cowher to keep Tannenbaum because he knew he'd have a say in things. He hasn't let his last two GMs choose their own coaches. This is not a guy that's about to hire someone with Coughlin's type of stature.

Hiring Parcells worked out.  Belichick was before Woody.

As a a stopgap or a GM, may be. But hiring a 70 year old man who was not in the playoffs often the last few years doesn't strike me as a good idea. This is basically a typical Woody Johnson making a media splash move rather than one of substance. 

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

As a a stopgap or a GM, may be. But hiring a 70 year old man who was not in the playoffs often the last few years doesn't strike me as a good idea. This is basically a typical Woody Johnson making a media splash move rather than one of substance. 

I agree. I am not a fan of hiring him. Give me a young OC.

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

They would need to basically give him the same setup Hess gave Parcells, except in this instance his successor can't be a muted rat molester that dresses like a hobo.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Coughlin actuallyhas Beli's number. So, you're right. 

Woody is more about guys like Rex who lose their ass off to Beli, but build a strong personal brand around 'giving Beli all he can handle'. Redults don't matter, only narratives.

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hiring his first established head coach is not a splash move.  It would actually be the first good football decision Woody has made in forever. Coughlin has forgotten more football than most hot coordinators would bring here.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Coughlin actuallyhas Beli's number. So, you're right. 

Woody is more about guys like Rex who lose their ass off to Beli, but build a strong personal brand around 'giving Beli all he can handle'. Redults don't matter, only narratives.

Yeah, if you look at the track record it's not the type of guy he wants. With Woody, I honestly just think he's the Shermanator and wishes he was Jerry Jones. And Rex was basically the chick that talked to him in the bathroom for the entire night.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah, if you look at the track record it's not the type of guy he wants. With Woody, I honestly just think he's the Shermanator and wishes he was Jerry Jones. And Rex was basically the chick that talked to him in the bathroom for the entire night.

Without a doubt 

11 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Hell yeah!  If we're stuck with Wilk now, at least Coughlin could make his life a living hell for being a lazy $hit.

Definitely wouldn't mind a short term coach with the plan going in that he's grooming his replacement at the same time.

It would be worth it just to see Mo miserable.

Btw, what's Coughlin's record against Belichick?

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

??? BB was hired as the HC in 1997 then when a deal was worked out BP became the GM/HC and BB became DC..

Belichick quit because he didn't know who the owner would be.  Woody had not bought the team yet.  He already worked for Kraft  and Kraft wanted him It had nothing to do with Woody. 

I'm not advocating firing Bowles but the argument that he's 70 years old and won't be here long is weak in my opinion.  If you were to make a move like this you set it up where Tom would be able to pick an Asst. Head Coach with the understand that he's being groomed to take over the job in 3-5 years, it's not ideal but it could work and helps keep that continuity.   Again, not advocating moving on from Bowles but unfortunately he's the type of personality this team needs; an experienced disciplinarian who has a track record to make the non popular moves. 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Belichick quit because he didn't know who the owner would be.  Woody had not bought the team yet.  He already worked for Kraft  and Kraft wanted him It had nothing to do with Woody. 

That was 2000 BB was hired as the Jet HC first in 1997 before BP came and he was demoted to DC..

Would be interesting to see who Coughlin would have on his coaching staff.  Kevin Gilbride as OC? How about Lane Kiffin?  Tony Sprano would definitely not be welcomed back as an OC, maybe just a line coach.  Dick Jauron or Perry Fewell as the DC?  Or would he bring in a staff that he has not worked with before?

Archived