Bowles worried about players quitting if Petty starts

Ex-Rex

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope not interested in meeting the moron I wouldnt be all smiles and kiss his ass I would tell him he isn't a good head coach. 

Id also ask for an explanation for why this team is so damn bad. 

Would love to see it. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes you said that already. 

Would you kiss his ass? Probably right tell him what a good job he's doing. 

I'm not the one who is constantly calling him a moron, dumbass and 20 other similar terms on a messageboard etc..  

You guys can't seriously be believing this story? So let me get this straight, the players had no issue with Fitzpatrick starting despite him playing at a historically bad level, but somehow they'll quit if Petty plays? woManish is making this up. 

22 hours ago, sourceworx said:

If this is true, it's time for Woody and Mac to start searching for a new coach.  

One of Bill Parcells' greatest motivational tactics was to publicly humiliate players who were dogging it. If Bowles is too scared to do this, then it's time for him to go.

Won't work in today's CBA ,the players would hold a protest and be given coloring books to soothe their feelings.

14 hours ago, isired said:

Well let's not go and fire a HC every time Mehta writes an article critical of the HC. We'll exhaust the pool and be back to Herm, Mangini and Rex in no time. Is Al Groh still at Georgia Tech??

We should hire planes and billboards that say Fire  Mehta !!!!!

21 hours ago, gEYno said:

Ok.  Can we think critically about this for just one second?

I'm not a fan of how Bowles has handled this or his overall in-game coaching at this point.

However, that article included exactly 0 quotes from Bowles.  Zero.

If this is how Bowles truly feels, do we think he'd admit that to Manish Mehta, or anyone else, for that matter?  "Hey Manish, you know, I'd really like to go to Petty, but I think his teammates are a bunch of lazy, entitled bitches who will quit on me if I do."  We see that happening?

This article is nothing more than Manish speculating in the negative to generate clicks.  Guess what, it worked.

While absolutely true, I think the reason people are giving Mehta credibility he hasn't earned is because Decker had already alluded to it publicly. No, he didn't outright say players would quit, but he's a player and he suggested putting Petty onto the field = giving up on the season (and all the veterans' attitudes that go along with that). So, yeah it's Mehta, but I do think there's something to this.

From the lyrical geniuses on Reddit...

BOWLES PALMS ARE SWEATY... THINKING ABOUT STARTING PETTY.. THE PLAYERS UPSET ALREADY.... MOMS SPAGHETTI......HES NERVOUS BUT ON THE SURFACE YOU GOT FITZPATRICK READY... TO THROW PICKS... BUT HE KEEPS ON FORGETTING...

THAT HE BROKE DOWN, THE WHOLE CROWD BOOS HIM NOW, HE OPENS HIS MOUTH, BUT THE ENDORSEMENT WON'T COME OUT...IT'S OVER NOW, THE SEASON'S OVER NOW...

https://m.reddit.com/r/fantasyfootball/comments/5dndch/report_jets_fearful_of_committing_to_petty/

23 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Sorry, but its the coach not the QB.  I honestly think he could cut Brady and go with Garrapolo next year and they'd still all fall in line...  

you're dreaming. Belly wasn't sh*t until Brady showed up. He was a failed former HC of cleveland before all the cheating

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you're dreaming. Belly wasn't sh*t until Brady showed up. He was a failed former HC of cleveland before all the cheating

he was also a failed HC in NE before Brady too.  2000-first 2 games of '01 he was 5-13, Brady stepped in and the rest if '01 they go 11-3 then add 3 postseason wins w/ a SB.  

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not just Brady, any coach or gm with a very good established QB gets lots of time and leeway, those that don't get fired.  Look at a guy like Dimitroff in Atl.  He was a step away from being canned the last few years but a good QB gives you life.

This is why that Mac and draft all the ILBs and DTs' he wants and can find all the nice Wr prospects late all he wants, if he does not find a QB within a bout 4 years he is gone.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not just Brady, any coach or gm with a very good established QB gets lots of time and leeway, those that don't get fired.  Look at a guy like Dimitroff in Atl.  He was a step away from being canned the last few years but a good QB gives you life.

This is why that Mac and draft all the ILBs and DTs' he wants and can find all the nice Wr prospects late all he wants, if he does not find a QB within a bout 4 years he is gone.

We've got two of them. Now we just have to let them play and see what we really have.

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

OK...  You can trade Brady for Fitz straight up or Belly/McDaniels/Patricia for Bowles/Rodgers/Gailey straight up.  Which deal is going to win you more games?  I'd argue BB with his staff with the Jets roster would outperform Brady and the Jets roster with Bowles and his staff in charge.

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

OK...  You can trade Brady for Fitz straight up or Belly/McDaniels/Patricia for Bowles/Rodgers/Gailey straight up.  Which deal is going to win you more games?  I'd argue BB with his staff with the Jets roster would outperform Brady and the Jets roster with Bowles and his staff in charge.

You'd argue that but be wrong.

This is easy.  Brady would instantly make this a playoff team.  And Fitz would remove the Pats from playoff contention.

Last season Fitz was somehow able to play at a subpar level (a major improvement for him), and we almost made the playoffs.  This year he regressed to his normal level (complete dog $hit), and the team has crumbled under his "leadership".  

Imagine the Pats (or any team) with $hitzpatrick under Center.  No team/coach combo could win with the way he's playing.  

Now imagine the Jets with Brady.  Last season was pretty good with subpar play at QB.  How would the team perform with arguably the best QB?

I actually think Belichick is a better coach than Brady is a QB, but this Jet team is lacking much more at QB than coach.

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You'd argue that but be wrong.

The more I think about it the more I think you are right.  There's far fewer examples of where good coaching overcame mediocre/bad QB play than where good QB's covered for mediocre/bad coaching.  

I'm all for winning games and that spreads to the players who will be on the team next year. So I think it's too early to start Petty because let's face it he did not adequately lead the offense last week and if Fitz had started we'd have had a better chance to win. Fitz had one terrible game, one good game,  but the rest were fair not horrendous. So I'd give Fitz the next two games and if we continue to lose turn it over to Petty for the final four. Fitz won't be here next season, we're not 100% sure if Petty will or who will be the starting Qb. But you can't give the players the message that you're not trying to win games and play the best players. Because football players have to put their asses on the line and it's as much mental as physical. 

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if Woody is worried that the fans will quit if Petty does not start?
Tickets are bought and paid for, and visiting fans will fill the house most games (and as one-game visitors spend more out of pocket). So other than a blow to his ego for the poor product he's selling, no, I doubt he's worried about the fans quitting.

Archived