Should we tank next season for Lamar Jackson?

drdetroit

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

If the schedule Sar posted is correct we are looking at 4-12 at best next season.  Lamar Jackson is way better than any QB in this year's draft

Lamar Jackson will be Vick 2.0, but not as good so no.  Everyone was talking about should we tank for Watson last year, and now Watson might be a 3rd rd pick come April.

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

If the schedule Sar posted is correct we are looking at 4-12 at best next season.  Lamar Jackson is way better than any QB in this year's draft

God no. 

The QB to tank for was Jameis. That didn't happen.

And, had we picked Carr (as I was hoping) when he was available instead of Calvin Pryor, we wouldn't be in this mess at all.

But LJax? God no. Dude's going to bust. 

I don't know if tanking is the right word, but I think we'll be in the spot.  

As mentioned in some other thread, I think there are 4 legit guys in that draft, Rosen/Jackson/Browning/Ryipen.  

I suggest we go with Petty/Hackenberg next year, instead of some stop gap guy.  If one of them works out, we have our guy.  If not, and the rough schedule, we'll be right there for a top pick.  

On Jackson, he's not quite as gifted as Vick physically, and the system is more of an adjustment, but he is very good.  He's a better passer than Vick in college, but he also plays a much different system.  He needs to show some progression though, right now he's a one read and run guy and that's not going to work.  

18 hours ago, win4ever said:

I don't know if tanking is the right word, but I think we'll be in the spot.  

As mentioned in some other thread, I think there are 4 legit guys in that draft, Rosen/Jackson/Browning/Ryipen.  

I suggest we go with Petty/Hackenberg next year, instead of some stop gap guy.  If one of them works out, we have our guy.  If not, and the rough schedule, we'll be right there for a top pick.  

On Jackson, he's not quite as gifted as Vick physically, and the system is more of an adjustment, but he is very good.  He's a better passer than Vick in college, but he also plays a much different system.  He needs to show some progression though, right now he's a one read and run guy and that's not going to work.  

I think we're destined to miss the playoffs next year barring a miracle.  Bowles won't get fired, Mac will go hard after Cutler instead of Glennon and Cutler will burn him to sign with LA.  We might as well go 0-16 next year.

On 11/19/2016 at 7:44 PM, drdetroit said:

Vick couldn't make reads.  Jackson can make reads and is accurate he can thread the needle

He actually doesn't make reads....he just is able to throw to open guys who get separation against standard quality college defenses. Also, he's a twig back there. A real NFL QB sacks him and he's going to break in half. 

Jackson will not be long for the NFL.

33 minutes ago, LamarJackson2017 said:

Well by my user name obviously yes i think we should. Either way there will be a few really good QB prospects next year and we should make sure we are in position to grab one. This years QB class stinks, I wouldn't draft any of them.

It's funny because last year at this time everyone was talking about tanking for Watson, and he is now being talked about as a 3rd rounder in a lot of scouting circles.

Also this time last year everyone was boasting about how good the 2016 QB draft class was going to be so wait to get one, and forgo a QB in the 2015 draft, and 12 months later it looks like a dumpster fire of a class. 

My point being Jackson is a glorified college QB IMO not an NFL top prospect, and come this time next year all these QB'S that are supposed to make up the next great QB class could all be considered meh prospects like what happened to the 2016 draft class.

The best college QB for the NFL, and only one I'd wager will definitely be a high pick in the future drafts  (2018, or later) is the kid from USC, the rest are a crap shoot to be high draft picks IMO.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It's funny because last year at this time everyone was talking about tanking for Watson, and he is now being talked about as a 3rd rounder in a lot of scouting circles.

Also this time last year everyone was boasting about how good the 2016 QB draft class was going to be so wait to get one, and forgo a QB in the 2015 draft, and 12 months later it looks like a dumpster fire of a class. 

My point being Jackson is a glorified college QB IMO not an NFL top prospect, and come this time next year all these QB'S that are supposed to make up the next great QB class could all be considered meh prospects like what happened to the 2016 draft class.

The best college QB for the NFL, and only one I'd wager will definitely be a high pick in the future drafts  (2018, or later) is the kid from USC, the rest are a crap shoot to be high draft picks IMO.

Yes, and he will be available in 2018, as well as Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen.

The jets should do all they can to blow up this roster to be in a position to choose one of the three. Whoever ends up being the highest rated of the three next year will be FAR superior than the top QB prospect this year. Sucks to already be tanking the next season but if we EVER want to find a franchise QB thats EXACTLY what we should do. And by the time the kid we draft has 2 or 3 years under his belt Brady will be about done and the division will finally be up for grabs again. Its perfect timing. The Jets should shore up the o-line this year get their QB next year and by the time Brady is done we will hopefully be in position with a 25 year old franchise QB. 

Trying to win next year or the year after is a losing battle. Brady will win 12+ games and we will be scrambling for a playoff spot at best. Just blow it up after this season and start tanking for next year where we may get a chance at the USC QB and FINALLY a possible franchise QB.

This years class is extremely weak at that position.

Archived