Bowles: Fitz to start Sunday vs. NE

jetscrazey

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

This reminds me of Rex's last year when he ran the ball against Miami on MNF 1000 times, wouldn't let Geno throw at all. That was basically a f.uck you to management because he knew he was going to get fired.

Bowles probably caught credible word that his time is up at seasons end, and this is his hissy fit.

I don't think we are that lucky Woody gives him 3rd year (Big mistake). Although Woody hates a public humiliation. A 50 burger beat down may change things?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've taken a day to absorb all of this and I've come to the conclusion that I agree with decision to start Fitz.

At this point it's obvious they don't like Petty. Which means it's pretty clear he won't be on the roster next year.

So, if they KNOW he's not the guy and have already decided they're going to cut him. Then Fitz should be the starter.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Fitzpatrick is not on the team next year, take that out of the equation.
It boils down to whether we invest the last 6 games to validate a low-percentage quarterback or a high-percentage head coach and our owner has chosen the latter.  With FItzpatrick, the Jets are a better team, the veterans feel their head coach has their back, the malcontents might be encouraged to believe a bit and play hard, etc.
Bowles and Maccagnan know the temperature of the locker room.  If it were good, they'd start Petty.  It's not.  This is a problem with having a bunch of older, pricey veterans.  If we had a locker room full of young kids, they'd rally behind Petty, not take the weeks off.
SAR I

I honestly don't think the locker room was a major part of this decision.

I think the decision was ultimately a simple one. Petty is terrible (I/we don't know that-but the coaching staff/GM do)

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I've taken a day to absorb all of this and I've come to the conclusion that I agree with decision to start Fitz.

At this point it's obvious they don't like Petty. Which means it's pretty clear he won't be on the roster next year.

So, if they KNOW he's not the guy and have already decided they're going to cut him. Then Fitz should be the starter.

I think you're the only one.  Petty might suck, but this decision is still indefensible.

I hope the few thousand Jet fans that go to this game throw boo so much even the commentators are uncomfortable.

If that fails, a ticket bonfire before the Colts game in the parking lot will garner some attention.

Bust out the billboards.  Flush Bowels.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I think you're the only one.  Petty might suck, but this decision is still indefensible.

I hope the few thousand Jet fans that go to this game throw boo so much even the commentators are uncomfortable.

If that fails, a ticket bonfire before the Colts game in the parking lot will garner some attention.

Bust out the billboards.  Flush Bowels.

Starting Petty right now would be solely for PR purposes and this team needs to stop doing that.  

If Petty's on the roster next year (or even in camp) I'll say I'm wrong and this was a terrible decision.  But he won't be, as it's pretty clear they've already decided his fate as a NYJ. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

If he's this bad now, after so many more game-weeks of absorbing the things defenses do (the things he's confused by on the field), then why did the Jets give him a roster spot when he was so easy to IR in August? I don't accept that he's become worse, in this regard, than he was 2 months prior. 

They gave him 1 start, without taking all the practice snaps with the receivers he'd be throwing to, yielding half the snaps or more to Fitzpatrick in those practices, and then that's it. Someone who doesn't follow this coach, and doesn't know better, could guess he was sabotaging his young QB to justify starting "his" guy 2 weeks later when he's fully healed up.

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Bowles says, 'I don't give jobs away, you have to take them'. 

What he's really saying is that there's no level of awful you can reach that will cost you your job.

Or he's saying that unfortunately no one has taken Fitzs job away 

It's going to be so fun around here when the Jets draft another project QB in next years draft and then decide to carry 4 QB's with none other than Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB.  So fun.  Like the most fun.  Possibly the most fun in the history of the world. 

Just now, JiF said:

It's going to be so fun around here when the Jets draft another project QB in next years draft and then decide to carry 4 QB's with none other than Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB.  So fun.  Like the most fun.  Possibly the most fun in the history of the world. 

Weeks ago I was certain they wouldn't bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2017. Now I give it 50/50. If they go 4-2 the rest of the way, to limp their way to 7-9, I think those chances improve to 2:1.

Oddly enough, the best reason he may not be re-signed would be the meddlesome owner nixing the attempt because, unlike a year earlier, the fans & media don't want him back again. Would be the right decision for the wrong reason, but as a Jets fan I'll take what I can get.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Weeks ago I was certain they wouldn't bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2017. Now I give it 50/50. If they go 4-2 the rest of the way, to limp their way to 7-9, I think those chances improve to 2:1.

Oddly enough, the best reason he may not be re-signed would be the meddlesome owner nixing the attempt because, unlike a year earlier, the fans & media don't want him back again. Would be the right decision for the wrong reason, but as a Jets fan I'll take what I can get.

I have extreme confidence in the return of Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Todd Bowles loves this dude.  He's tying his career to him.  

SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think Maccagnan has boxed himself in a corner at this point. The only way either of these guys can save themselves potentially is with a young QB looking promising. I dont see how they dont go QB round 1 next year- assuming what we all know that Hackenberg blows and can't play at all.

Just now, Matt39 said:

I think Maccagnan has boxed himself in a corner at this point. The only way either of these guys can save themselves potentially is with a young QB looking promising. I dont see how they dont go QB round 1 next year- assuming what we all know that Hackenberg blows.

Hakenberg can't work his way unseat a #2 QB that can't unseat Fitzpatrick with the team at 3-7. 

Hard for me to say round 1 for certain, only because I freely admit knowing nothing about this year's crop. But if there's more than 1 QB worthwhile (figuring Cleveland with the #1 pick won't pass on taking a QB at the top for the 2nd straight year), then I have to believe he'll move up to do so this time around (assuming he needs to move). 

He may have put a good draft pick on the line in drafting Hackenberg, after taking an ILB prospect over a QB a round prior, but it's another thing entirely to then double down on that same QB a year later. Whichever QB he takes, it can't be yet another project type that needs to be benched as 3rd-4th string for at least a year.

A 4th string QB rofl. There's no such freaking thing as 4th string QB. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hakenberg can't work his way unseat a #2 QB that can't unseat Fitzpatrick with the team at 3-7. 

Hard for me to say round 1 for certain, only because I freely admit knowing nothing about this year's crop. But if there's more than 1 QB worthwhile (figuring Cleveland with the #1 pick won't pass on taking a QB at the top for the 2nd straight year), then I have to believe he'll move up to do so this time around (assuming he needs to move). 

He may have put a good draft pick on the line in drafting Hackenberg, after taking an ILB prospect over a QB a round prior, but it's another thing entirely to then double down on that same QB a year later. Whichever QB he takes, it can't be yet another project type that needs to be benched as 3rd-4th string for at least a year.

A 4th string QB rofl. There's no such freaking thing as 4th string QB. 

The Hackenberg thing is bizarre. Pretty much every QB drafted prior to round 5 has gotten meaningful action this season and Hackenberg isnt even allowed to practice. We have the worst QB situation in football and the QB we spent a high pick on runs out to midfield to grab the tee after kickoffs. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I honestly don't think the locker room was a major part of this decision.

I think the decision was ultimately a simple one. Petty is terrible (I/we don't know that-but the coaching staff/GM do)

Since I've given up on this season, actually did after the loss to Miami, I don't have the emotion on this subject that many seem to have, which for most translates into hate for TB.  I'm not saying there's nothing to their negative take on him.  But on this subject, the simplest explanation is likely the one that makes most sense.  And that is that the CS does not think Petty will play well against NE, and in fact might have such a bad experience doing so that they fear he will be adversely effected.

I don't know if that necessarily means they've reached any overall conclusion about Petty and his future with the team, though.  More likely they felt there was too little promise he would improve enough working with the first team, even over the bye (which after all under the new CBA does not really provide as much practice time as before the CBA), to have a reasonable shot at playing well against the Pats.

If that is correct then the view of the locker room is more in keeping with the decision than the cause of it, meaning the players probably see more or less what the CS is seeing.

It should be clear if Petty was playing well enough to lead the CS to think he could and likely would play better than RF, it is silly to think they would not play him.  Such thinking is far too CT for me.  They simply do not think he's that good.

Whether you are elsewhere correct to predict that Petty will not be on the team next year is not something I can agree on with any assurance, but yes, if that is true it would support your observation now.

Petty is not ready for the NEP defense don't you get that. Put him in a position where he could have some success to build on. Not something that could lead to failure. I think that's the thinking here, If you read what Bowles said Petty will get his chance again. 

You guys know this is really all about Bowles managing his career right?

Bruce Arians is having health problems.  He might have to retire or take time off.  Bowles knows he may very well get fired so the Arizona gig is his backup plan.  If Fitz can get us to 6-10 Bowles can say he has .500 record with no QB and a mediocre roster

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Petty is not ready for the NEP defense don't you get that. Put him in a position where he could have some success to build on. Not something that could lead to failure. I think that's the thinking here, If you read what Bowles said Petty will get his chance again. 

Neither is Fitzpatrick, you know, if his performance over the course of 9 games this year is any indication. And, really, who cares if Fitzpatrick is more ready? He's not the long-term answer.

I love it, people keep saying "I'm not a Fitzpatrick guy..." and then they offer spurious reasons why he should still be the starter.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You guys know this is really all about Bowles managing his career right?

Bruce Arians is having health problems.  He might have to retire or take time off.  Bowles knows he may very well get fired so the Arizona gig is his backup plan.

As I mentioned previously, they may actually be more interested in losing than winning...

15 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Neither is Fitzpatrick, you know, if his performance over the course of 9 games this year is any indication. And, really, who cares if Fitzpatrick is more ready? He's not the long-term answer.

I love it, people keep saying "I'm not a Fitzpatrick guy..." and then they offer spurious reasons why he should still be the starter.

Well, Fitz beat them last year. If he has no red zone turnovers we should be in this game. The D has played better recently. It did not the first half of the year and Fitz haters of course blamed him for everything. When you play from behind at least 2 scores you are susceptible to interceptions. But imo there is no excuse for those red zone picks. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Hackenberg thing is bizarre. Pretty much every QB drafted prior to round 5 has gotten meaningful action this season and Hackenberg isnt even allowed to practice. We have the worst QB situation in football and the QB we spent a high pick on runs out to midfield to grab the tee after kickoffs. 

Even in a vacuum, it was an indefensible pick. Prescott turning into Russell Wilson 2.0 is just God twisting the knife a little.

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Patriots are looking at going through the next four weeks without arguably their best defensive tackle. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Alan Branch has been suspended for four games after testing positive for marijuana. Branch will appeal the ban, per Schefter.

None of that matters, they have Brady, they have have a great coaching staff, they might give up a few more points but they will still win.

56 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Wut?  The Rams defense is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than the pats defense.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If fitz goes on a late season roll this could happen as horrifying as it is.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

The NEP defense just lost both Jamie Collins and Alan Branch and wasn't great to begin with

Belichick is a great defensive playcaller but his defenses have been lit up by JAG QB's when he didn't have the personnel

50 minutes ago, phill1c said:

As I mentioned previously, they may actually be more interested in losing than winning...

We have a couple winnable games in the schedule so Bowles wants to make it so he's at least with a .500 record after 2 seasons

Good for his career bad for the jets.  We will go from picking at 5 to 15.

Seems like a dumb AF decision. Have to hope something less awful is going on like wanting to spare Petty the confidence slaughter of playing NE's defense or the coaching staff wants to give Petty/Hack a week of practice and they are just tossing out Fitz on a probable loss. But this is probably just a dumb decision.

Archived