Bowles: Fitz to start Sunday vs. NE

jetscrazey

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Maccagnan is in the clear now. He cant force the coach to play players. He can't even fire Bowles

True.

But to say Maccagnan is on the hook for anything is pretty silly.  Bowles was not his hire.  He cleaned out a lot and had a successful 10 win season in Year 1.  Anyone with knowledge of the NFL could see we were headed for a 1-5 start and a 7-9 season only if everything broke correctly.  These guys don't live in a bubble.  They talk just like we do.

Woody still believes in Bowles.  He is giving him a chance to show that he can keep the team together during hard times and that they believe in him. 

Our head coach has a 50/50 chance of being a quality performer.  Our young quarterback has a 20/80 chance of being a quality performer. 

Validating the head coach is more important than validating the quarterback these last 6 weeks.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Validating the head coach is more important than validating the quarterback these last 6 weeks.

SAR I

qb is more important.  they're going to have a top 10 pick, maybe top 5.  they need as much info on their qbs as they can get, but yet again the owner/coach/gm have different priorities.

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Well this answers whether Petty is the answer or not- he may just not be ready but really this says he's just not the guy.

What's going on has nothing to do with Petty's abilities.

It's all about Bowles ability to prove that he and his coordinators are worth holding onto.  Woody Johnson has to choose between validating the quarterback or validating the head coach and he's chosen the latter.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is a bigger problem here, folks.

Bowles is on the cusp of losing the team.  Between the spoiled-brat defenders with big contracts like Wilkerson and Harris and Revis and the look-at-me offensive types like Marshall and Forte, these guys don't want to go 4-12 and see their stats torpedoed just to validate a second year country bumpkin. 

The issue isn't Petty vs. Fitz.  The issue is Bowles vs. New Head Coach.  This signals that Woody Johnson wants to hold onto Bowles and the coaching staff and keep his veterans happy and attract free agents next year.  So, sorry, this is the right move from that perspective. 

SAR I

Along those lines if Say Petty started and clicked and started showing everyone how much better he is than both Fitz and Geno then how does that make CS look?

Just now, bealeb319 said:

I like that Bowles cares more about winning football games than he does about the opinions of the fan base. To start fitz at this point and when we are out of playoff contention takes guts.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

That's another reason why I dont think this is a Woody decision. Woody goes with the wind.

Just now, SAR I said:

It's all about Bowles ability to prove that he and his coordinators are worth holding onto.  Woody Johnson has to choose between validating the quarterback or validating the head coach and he's chosen the latter.

SAR I

are you saying bowles is coaching for his job?

23 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

He's a goner.... No coming back from this.

Total chicken S&IT move by Blowes. This should get him fired at the end of the season. There is NO upside to starting Fitzpatrick other than it MIGHT get Blowes a meaningless win to show Woody when he reports on himself. I doubt it will do any good as I now hope the Patriots embarrass the Jets like the Thanksgiving crushing of 45-3 or whatever it was. Butt Fumble game part two.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

But if Petty plays well, wont that validate the coach too?

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, it's not about Petty.  He may still be a terrific prospect.  But it can take a full season of growing pains to validate the kid, same for Hackenberg.  We have an owner and a core of veterans and a fanbase that won't tolerate it apparently.

Woody Johnson has two choices:

1.  Commit to Petty for the remainder of the year, watch the whiny vets shut it down even more than they already have, watch the locker room fall to pieces, and punt Todd Bowles and the entire coaching staff.

2.  Commit to Fitzpatrick for the remainder of the year, let the vets see that as a sign of support, win as many games as we can, let the locker room heal, become attractive to free agents again.

He seems to have chosen #1.

SAR I

1 - the vets have already shut it down...

2 - no worthwhile FA is coming to the Jets.  We're nowhere near being championship-competitive any time soon.

Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

SAR I I think Bowles is a goner this all but assures it he takes the fall for the 2016 season. 

Woody Johnson isn't a patient man he wants to at least make the playoffs the Jets have a lot of tickets to sell

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

qb is more important.  they're going to have a top 10 pick, maybe top 5.  they need as much info on their qbs as they can get, but yet again the owner/coach/gm have different priorities.

My understanding is that this isn't a good year for QB's in the draft and there isn't a killer player so necessary in the #2 spot to tank the season over.  Dropping a few slots may save us money and still net us an excellent player since we have so many needs.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

My understanding is that this isn't a good year for QB's in the draft and there isn't a killer player so necessary in the #2 spot to tank the season over.  Dropping a few slots may save us money and still net us an excellent player since we have so many needs.

SAR I

but if petty really sucks these last 6 games there's a decent shot he's not on the team next year.  isn't that worth knowing now, rather than bring him back and pretend he's got a shot?  there has to be a transition to a young guy at some point, and this regime is recoiling from throwing geno and sanchez in there too soon and they're taking the completely opposite approach.  they're waiting for the great pumpkin to show up, the obvious, ominious sign the young guy should start.  

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Bowles is right about one thing: playing Petty is a sign that this season is over and he is evaluating for next season.

Personally, I think everyone already knows the season is over and getting more experience for Petty is way better than beating the Pats. I don't like this move at all. Unless Petty isn't ready (or never will be), in which case, not only is this season lost, but unless Hack can turn things around for next season, next season is lost too.

My guess - he isn't ready to admit defeat. Stupid yes.

For that last 4 games if Fitz plays, Bowles is beyond stupid - look how Mac has shielded himself with the 'Bowles makes the final decision'; Bowles could have protected himself by playing Petty and showing that he had nothing. If Hack plays, we will know it is because Petty sucks. We just have a few more games until we know the story:

Does Bowles suck or does Petty suck? We will find out soon enough.

This season is already over. The only left to find out who is worth hanging onto for 2017. That's why playing Petty (and perhaps even Hackenberg) makes more sense than playing Fitzpatrick. That Bowles appears not to grasp that on top of the moronic gameplan last week is grounds for him to be gone. 

Hope Woody likes his Pats-orama Sunday afternoon. He has earned it.Don't even have to worry about the Jets tanking for draft position. They're gonna lose every game they play form here until the end anyway.   Again, like last week, reaction is apathy and indifference. And the people who run this franchise have made this decision. Own it.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

I never root for my team to lose ever but if NE beats the Jets and Fitzpatrick on Sunday say 52-00 how will you all feel. 

Indifferent.  Because I'm not ******* watching this team the rest of the year as long as Fitz is under center.  Bullsh*t laughing stock team

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

interesting.  but wouldn't starting fitz also suggest that mccags is being tested, since he signed him?

No, this team is not vested in Fitzpatrick.  I'm guessing, but I'd guess that behind the scenes in Florham Park our brass hates the guy because he held them for ransom all offseason and got an overpriced contract and then failed to deserve it.  I'm sure they're similarly upset with the likes of Revis and Wilkerson who are also underperforming.

If you look at the schedule, 7-9 is a real possibility and it would show the team got over itself and got behind their coaches, coordinators, and Bowles.  I'm not saying I agree with this, but it appears that Woody is more concerned with validating his coaching staff rather than his longshot QB from Baylor who was an inch from getting cut in August.

SAR I

Just now, Augustiniak said:

but if petty really sucks these last 6 games there's a decent shot he's not on the team next year.  isn't that worth knowing now,  

there's a fine line between "seeing what a guy has" and ruining a young QB by playing him too soon.

If Petty or Hack loses out that doesn't prove they suck it proves they weren't ready.  

Just now, Bugg said:

This season is already over. The only left to find out who is worth hanging onto for 2017. That's why playing Petty (and perhaps even Hackenberg) makes more sense than playing Fitzpatrick. That Bowles appears not to grasp that on top of the moronic gameplan last week is grounds for him to be gone. 

Hope Woody likes his Pats-orama Sunday afternoon. He has earned it.Don't even have to worry about the Jets tanking for draft position. They're gonna lose every game they play form here until the end anyway.   Again, like last week, reaction is apathy and indifference. And the people who run this franchise have made this decision. Own it.

they think they can win at least 4 of the last 6 games and finish 7-9 and give momentum to next year.  that's all this is about, false hope.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No because everybody liked that decision to begin with.

Maccagnan did everything the media wanted him to do. So to criticize him would make them out to be hypocrites.

Not only the media, but most of the fans wanted Fitz back. Myself included. I stated that if Fitz was 80 percent of last season tht he would be ok. He has been less than half of what he was last year, so that theory fell completely apart. I don't know WTF is going on inside this organization and I am afraid that if I knew I would run screaming, because there is no hope EVER.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

No, this team is not vested in Fitzpatrick.  I'm guessing, but I'd guess that behind the scenes in Florham Park our brass hates the guy because he held them for ransom all offseason and got an overpriced contract and then failed to deserve it.  I'm sure they're similarly upset with the likes of Revis and Wilkerson who are also underperforming.

If you look at the schedule, 7-9 is a real possibility and it would show the team got over itself and got behind their coaches, coordinators, and Bowles.  I'm not saying I agree with this, but it appears that Woody is more concerned with validating his coaching staff rather than his longshot QB from Baylor who was an inch from getting cut in August.

SAR I

they can certainly get to 7-9 if they play hard.  that would protect petty for another year.  they still have no obvious plan to transition to another qb.  they speak about hack's long-term development as if they're confident they'll be here 3 years from now when he's finally ready.  

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Yep; And, as of right now, next season doesn't look so hot either. You can't play afraid. If you won't play Petty because he doesn't have experience, doesn't it make sense to get him his experience when the season isn't at stake? Either Petty isn't the guy or Bowles made a HUGE mistake. Either way, unless something changes (Petty or the coach), next year doesn't look any better.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Not only the media, but most of the fans wanted Fitz back. Myself included. I stated that if Fitz was 80 percent of last season tht he would be ok. He has been less than half of what he was last year, so that theory fell completely apart. I don't know WTF is going on inside this organization and I am afraid that if I knew I would run screaming, because there is no hope EVER.

You fell for the Ryan Fitzpatrick MAGIC he's a BUM  he always was and he always will be a BUM 

Archived