Bowles: Fitz to start Sunday vs. NE

jetscrazey

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Oh god, really? That is the best you can come up with? Because players CAN be found later in the 1st round, it doesn't matter if we draft at 5 or 15??? That is idiotic. 

Sure the Jets could find someone better at 15, but in life you play the odds. The odds say you will find a better pick at 5 than at 15. I'll stick with the math while you stick with your "lets win out and feel good about ourselves" theory. 

if we are talking about playing the odds, the odds are good that a team that loses 13 games in 2016 will suck in 2017 and 2018 and beyond.

What's important is building a culture of winning. That means playing the best players even if they aren't the best players for 2017. It means winning "Meaningless" games.

Believe it or not, there's a huge difference between god-awful and just mediocre. Jets fans believe that the team needs to be god-awful before they can get better. But I don't see how that's a step forward.  

Just now, phill1c said:

Absolutely no reason to jump ship when you need upgrades STILL all around him: RT, LT, TE, RB.

The guy has had one start, looked 'ok' and you're like "he sucks"??!!!

I didn't say anything bad about Petty.  I WANT petty to play more, obviously we have a deadbeat HC that thinks differently.  I'm jsut making the point in typical Jets fashion since we usually are the definition of mediocre and when we do have these seldom really bad season that get us in the top 5, the talent we are looking for isn't there.  Just another example of sh*t luck with the Jets.  We can't even time our bad seasons with opportunities to drastically improve the team :(

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:
Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

I didn't say anything bad about Petty.  I WANT petty to play more, obviously we have a deadbeat HC that thinks differently.  I'm jsut making the point in typical Jets fashion since we usually are the definition of mediocre and when we do have these seldom really bad season that get us in the top 5, the talent we are looking for isn't there.  Just another example of sh*t luck with the Jets.  We can't even time our bad seasons with opportunities to drastically improve the team :(

Which is why the splurge last offseason to get to 10 wins on an easy schedule was a waste of time. This roster is a total mess and we're worse off than we were two years ago.

The Jets are not going to draft a QB. They have TWO guys they don't know about already. The talent that they need OT, edge rusher, TE, FS, CB (sigh) will be there.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if we are talking about playing the odds, the odds are good that a team that loses 13 games in 2016 will suck in 2017 and 2018 and beyond.

What's important is building a culture of winning. That means playing the best players even if they aren't the best players for 2017. It means winning "Meaningless" games.

Believe it or not, there's a huge difference between god-awful and just mediocre. Jets fans believe that the team needs to be god-awful before they can get better. But I don't see how that's a step forward.  

But if you are winning with a QB that is gone next year, how does that prove anything about next year? 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Which is why the splurge last offseason to get to 10 wins on an easy schedule was a waste of time. This roster is a total mess and we're worse off than we were two years ago.

That money still had to be spent regardless, no point pining over it now.  It was the right move at the time, I think we all can agree that we didn't think Mangold (not so much a talent issue as health issue), Revis, Harris would all drop off a cliff this year like they did.  I expected a bit more a gradual decline in line with the contracts nor see big regression in the likes of Pryor and Gilchrist.

This is not surprising in the least. Its clear from the way they ran, ran pass short, punt with Petty that they have no faith in him, right or wrong. Its also clear that right or wrong Bowles thinks Fitz gives him the best chance of winning, and if Bowles ends up 3-13 there is more than a 50% chance he is getting fired.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

But if you are winning with a QB that is gone next year, how does that prove anything about next year? 

remember when the Ravens won their most recent super bowl? they lost to the Pats like 3 years in a row in the playoffs before they took that next step

part of that next step was having players who were not scared of the big stage and had been there before. It's all part of the experience of building a winning program.  

the roster is full of players, some will be here next year, some won't. But every NFL win is significant. And so is every loss. If the team gets used to losing, that's what they will be, losers. 

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

The Jets are not going to draft a QB. They have TWO guys they don't know about already. The talent that they need OT, edge rusher, TE, FS, CB (sigh) will be there.

Macc is on record several times and on record telling Woody (one of the reasons he got the job) was that he will take a QB every draft.  That includes after finding a franchize QB b/c you can never have too many good QBs.  Whether for depth or trade bait.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

That money still had to be spent regardless, no point pining over it now.  It was the right move at the time, I think we all can agree that we didn't think Mangold (not so much a talent issue as health issue), Revis, Harris would all drop off a cliff this year like they did.  I expected a bit more a gradual decline in line with the contracts nor see big regression in the likes of Pryor and Gilchrist.

I really haven't seen a regression in Pryor. But a SS can't play the entire defensive backfield. The issue is that the CB opposite Revis has sucked. Skrine is NOT an outside CB. And the rest are shrimps. Gilchrist is useless. There's your problems. NOT Pryor.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

remember when the Ravens won their most recent super bowl? they lost to the Pats like 3 years in a row in the playoffs before they took that next step

part of that next step was having players who were not scared of the big stage and had been there before. It's all part of the experience of building a winning program.  

the roster is full of players, some will be here next year, some won't. But every NFL win is significant. And so is every loss. If the team gets used to losing, that's what they will be, losers. 

So, now, at the height of stupidity, you're comparing the SB winning Ravens with this year's Jets.

FLUSH!!

Winning against inferior competition with inferior talent really doesn't translate to winning against elite teams with elite talent.

So Petty is that bad and/or Bowles is this desperate. But his desperation is a selfish move and not one for the team. The team needs to know if Petty has a chance to start next year. Coaches always preach about doing whats best doe the team.

Starting Fitz is only self serving for Bowles to eek out as many wins as he can to keep his job. The problem is the current landscape and culture of American sports.  They fire coaches way too fast. So this is what you get. Coaches making decisions soley on keeping their jobs and not thinking big picture. 

I'm officially on the Fire Bowles bandwagon now. Even if Petty is worse than we think, he didn't do anything worse than Fitz has all year...the gameplan also handcuffed him from showing us much of anything...even if Petty played horribly and threw 6 picks in a game they can always bench him, cause thats what any coach would do...oh wait...

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I think the thing that ultimately ends Bowles here is Bowles overly conservative approach to everything. Punting when he shouldn't, best chance to win...

Sooner or later the great coaches take a chance. A calculated chance, yes, but a chance.

It doesn't matter at this point if he looses the veterans; except for a few - most are likely gone next year. Also, many veterans want to win, but those who are here next year want to know that the coach will take a chance to try and make the team better.

If Petty really isn't ready (or never will be) he would just come out and say Petty isn't ready and he could have picked his QB last week. If it is so close that he needed to take the week to review the tape, he should make the move to Petty. So, it is either close and he choose poorly, or it wasn't close and he didn't manage it well.

Thank you!!!!!!

It is thinking like Bowles that has held this franchise back for 40 plus years!!!!!!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of "best"?  If Revis is currently more skilled than Burris but is playing soft and low effort is he the best player or is the hungry kid trying to learn in real game action the better choice?  

The Raiders went 3-13 in 2014 with Mack and Carr out there.  Just saying...

32 minutes ago, phill1c said:

So, being among the worst QBs in a QB-driven league isn't the main culprit?! As stupid as that sounds I'm not going to get caught up in MORE stupid argument with you on it. Believe what you want...

I have no idea who you are so that should tell you what type of impression you made on me if we have discussed things previously.

Pay attention- I do NOT like Fitz, I did not care if he came back, I do not think he is good BUT if you think he is the main reason we are 3-7 then you do not understand what you are watching.  He is no more to blame for 3-7 than he was to credit for 10-6.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I have no idea who you are so that should tell you what type of impression you made on me if we have discussed things previously.

Pay attention- I do NOT like Fitz, I did not care if he came back, I do not think he is good BUT if you think he is the main reason we are 3-7 then you do not understand what you are watching.  He is no more to blame for 3-7 than he was to credit for 10-6.

Nope your arguments are tiresome and boring. So, ignore you go...

FLUSH!!

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Well this answers whether Petty is the answer or not- he may just not be ready but really this says he's just not the guy.

Bullsh*t. It says Bowles is a fool and has no balls. We don't no jack about Petty and won't know until he gets some legit playing time. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

Bullsh*t. It says Bowles is a fool and has no balls. We don't no jack about Petty and won't know until he gets some legit playing time. 

We know he has more arm strength and the same ability to read defenses as Fitzpatrick, Mr. One Read. That ALONE is enough to make him the starter.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been named the Jets' Week 12 starter at quarterback.

"He's healthy," coach Todd Bowles enthusiastically said. "He's been our starter. ... We can do more things with him. I don't give away jobs." The reality is, Fitz wouldn't be starting against the Patriots if either Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg had done anything positive on the practice field. Fitz has been a perpetual-turnover machine, but Gang Green has rightly surmised he gives the team its best chance of not getting completely embarrassed. Fitz will be a passable low-end QB2 against the Pats' leaky defense.

Disgusting. 

So... now they're suddenly worried about being embarrassed?

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

awesome, a poster I have no clue who they are is putting me on ignore.

giphy.gif

Two things:

1. It didn't work because I saw your post. and

2. Perhaps your arguments aren't as intelligent as you think they are.

3. Missing Ignore checkbox checked. Ignorance confirmed (yeah, I get it how it makes me look.).

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Two things:

1. It didn't work because I saw your post. and

2. Perhaps your arguments aren't as intelligent as you think they are.

if you are going to ignore me then please do so.  if you want to engage in intelligent football discussions I am here for you, if you want to act like a child b/c you disagree w/ someone and feel the need to attack then then please continue to go run and hide.

"He's healthy," coach Todd Bowles enthusiastically said. "He's been our starter. ... We can do more things with him. I don't give away jobs."

You just gave away YOUR job!!

uh "he's healthy..."

He's also the worst starting QB in the league (within the margin of error).

Yeah, FiRE BOWLES he's a loser.

Knowing all we know about Bowles and the Jets, why is the surprising to anyone?

The worst part of this, to me, isn't the decision that was made. The worst part is that the head coach sees way more of Petty and Hack than any of us and Petty is back to the bench in a lost season and Hack is in sweatpants every Sunday. It's pretty damning of the QBs currently on the roster not named Fitz.

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of "best"?  If Revis is currently more skilled than Burris but is playing soft and low effort is he the best player or is the hungry kid trying to learn in real game action the better choice?  

The Raiders went 3-13 in 2014 with Mack and Carr out there.  Just saying...

I honestly don't believe Bowles has the juice to bench Revis, or Fitz, even if he wanted to. These decisions are made way above his pay scale. 

or put it another way the HC making 1 mil can't really bench the CB making 16 Mil and the QB making 12 mil.  Those guys play if Woody wants them to play. Cause he cuts the checks and there's nothing capital hates more than paying labor to sit on their ass. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The worst part of this, to me, isn't the decision that was made. The worst part is that the head coach sees way more of Petty and Hack than any of us and Petty is back to the bench in a lost season and Hack is in sweatpants every Sunday. It's pretty damning of the QBs currently on the roster not named Fitz.

This move sets the organization backwards we all know Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the answer at QB but we dont know about Petty or Hack and it seems this organization is ok with that going into the 2017 season. Not a good plan and I guess thats why its been 47 years......

Just now, joewilly12 said:

This move sets the organization backwards we all know Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the answer at QB but we dont know about Petty or Hack and it seems this organization is ok with that going into the 2017 season. Not a good plan and I guess thats why its been 47 years......

Or 329 in dog years.  lol

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

"I don't give away jobs."

Translation: Nobody needs to be accountable. With this established as the premise, the rest of this debacle of a season sort of fulfills itself obviously...

- Mo gets paid, stops caring/trying

- Revis is treated like a God, stop caring/trying

- Fitz throws INT after INT, the entire defense stops caring/trying

- Fitz throws INT after INT, the entire offense couldn't try even if they wanted to, because the opportunities aren't there

This is no different than having Rex here, at his worst. No different at all.

Just now, bitonti said:

I honestly don't believe Bowles has the juice to bench Revis, or Fitz, even if he wanted to. These decisions are made way above his pay scale. 

or put it another way the HC making 1 mil can't really bench the CB making 16 Mil and the QB making 12 mil.  Those guys play if Woody wants them to play. Cause he cuts the checks and there's nothing capital hates more than paying labor to sit on their ass. 

If thats true, Bowles should not coach here.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah, but WE'VE SEEN both Fitz and Petty. And from what I've seen ON GAMEDAY there's way more damning evidence of Fitz than any other QB on the roster. Moreover, where is the evidence that Bowles is a good HC? He does NOTHING to influence game. His entire mentality is the "give up" play. Get rid of his tired, somnambulant, useless ass!!

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Translation: Nobody needs to be accountable. With this established as the premise, the rest of this debacle of a season sort of fulfills itself obviously...

- Mo gets paid, stops caring/trying

- Revis is treated like a God, stop caring/trying

- Fitz throws INT after INT, the entire defense stops caring/trying

- Fitz throws INT after INT, the entire offense couldn't try even if they wanted to, because the opportunities aren't there

This is no different than having Rex here, at his worst. No different at all.

Geez, seeing it in print like that sends a shudder through me.

Archived