Bowles: Fitz to start Sunday vs. NE

jetscrazey

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I just texted my wife at work about Fitz starting.  She's already said that she'll watch upstairs away from me.  Last time Fitz played, I flipped out to the point that she left the house.  lol  She said the game Petty started was the calmest I've been watchig the Jets in years.

I'm so chapped about this I may actually go out with my wife and not watch the game.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Flushing Roots said:

I'm so chapped about this I may actually go out with my wife and not watch the game.

Anything but antiquing, FR.  Unless a well filled flask enters the discussion.   lol  Yeah, if Brady starts torching us, I might need to head out for a walk or something.

44 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Knowing all we know about Bowles and the Jets, why is the surprising to anyone?

The worst part of this, to me, isn't the decision that was made. The worst part is that the head coach sees way more of Petty and Hack than any of us and Petty is back to the bench in a lost season and Hack is in sweatpants every Sunday. It's pretty damning of the QBs currently on the roster not named Fitz.

Are you sure, like his predecessor Bowles claims to stay away from the offensive side of the ball.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Maccagnan basically has no choice but to go QB round 1 next year. If Petty and hackenberg are both this bad- he needs a hail mary from a rookie QB next year to save his job. He's already whiffed on two.

At this point, why does Maccagnan even deserve to keep his job?

Sadly, I'd burn it to the ground all over again.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

They took Sanchez and Dee Milliner top 10 and Mo/Mangold at 30. Im not worried about the draft position. 

winning games is always better than losing. Winning creates a culture of winning. Losing creates a culture of losing. 

Question re: culture of winning.  As a huge Gholston supporter, how come the culture of winning that was created that landed us him and put us out of reach of Matt Ryan never translated onto the field?  As you say, Gholston plus two end of the season wins in a lost year > end of the season losses and Matt Ryan.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

with the approach to taking forever to develop qbs you'd think he believes he has nice job security.  

The fact is, Fitzpatrick is starting because Petty and Hackenberg barely belong in the league, if they do at all.  That falls squarely on Macc.

Just now, gEYno said:

The fact is, Fitzpatrick is starting because Petty and Hackenberg barely belong in the league, if they do at all.  That falls squarely on Macc.

that's what i'm saying.  mccags drafted 2 qbs who by his account need years of prep work before 'they're ready'.  this implies he expects to be around to reap the rewards of his picks. he didn't pick guys who were more 'pro ready'.  he didn't pick connor cook.

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

At this point, why does Maccagnan even deserve to keep his job?

Sadly, I'd burn it to the ground all over again.

Yup, this franchise in on a never ending merry-go-round ride to ridiculousness.  We are forever burning it down in hopes of some miracle.  Hey, let's change our team's name to The Phoenix.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Sorry that is not how it works, Mac's name is painted to the jets as much as anyone whether it is his fault or not.  Ever wonder why a few guys who wee highly rated 'interviewed poorly' for the job when we got idzik?  they told woody to f off an that they wanted to be in control.

I like Mac but right now he is a glorified scout one pay grade higher.  Can't hire or fire coach, can't exert any pressure on the coach to play prospects.

He's in a bad spot because no one is going to smile and say oh it wasn't macs fault, he will get it in the neck just as soon as bowles will.

Don't kid yourself regarding the last sentence. There are plenty who render him blameless. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't kid yourself regarding the last sentence. There are plenty who render him blameless. 

The important ones won't.  Three yeas from now if we have no Qb he is just as much road kill as the coach will be whether it is his fault or not.

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Well this answers whether Petty is the answer or not- he may just not be ready but really this says he's just not the guy.

Yup. It also answered the question of whether Petty was actually better than Geno back during the preseason. Clearly he isnt.  Bowles was willing to sit Fitz and start Geno without an injury driving him to do it, meanwhile Petty cant even unseat the worst starter in the league on a bad knee.

This has been one of the most depressingly hilarious Jets seasons I can remember. 

3 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Along those lines if Say Petty started and clicked and started showing everyone how much better he is than both Fitz and Geno then how does that make CS look?

Apparently that is a risk they are not willing to take.  They want the team to start behaving like a team and playing with a purpose. 

In my opinion, Woody Johnson wants to give Todd Bowles every opportunity to keep his job and to do that he has to bring the locker room together and show that the team is responding to him. Like it or not, going with a veteran quarterback is what helps in this regard. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, peebag said:

1 - the vets have already shut it down...

2 - no worthwhile FA is coming to the Jets.  We're nowhere near being championship-competitive any time soon.

You are 100% correct, that is the perception of the team today.

But if the Jets can finish 4-2 or 3-3, if the players can show that they have heart and passion, that is the undo button for the crap they've put on the field these first 10 weeks.   And that helps us more next year then to see that Bryce Petty is mediocre.

SAR I

He's the head coach of the Jets. His job is to win football games. The decisions he makes aren't swayed by public opinion, but based on how he thinks he can add another tally text to his win column. 

Which is why Ryan Fitzpatrick, the NFL's worst statistical passer, will be his quarterback against the Patriots this Sunday. Bowles still believes (somehow) he gives the Jets the best chance to win.

But is he on a short leash?

4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

interesting.  but wouldn't starting fitz also suggest that mccags is being tested, since he signed him?

The Ryan Fitzpatrick signing was a no-brainer.  Especially in light of what we have seen from Geno and Petty this year. 

That was not some risky move that Maccagnan should be judged on.  That was common sense. 

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The Ryan Fitzpatrick signing was a no-brainer.  Especially in light of what we have seen from Geno and Petty this year. 

That was not some risky move that Maccagnan should be judged on.  That was common sense. 

SAR I

Common sense that BACKFIRED!!!!!!!!!!!   Shows how inept are GM really is. 

There were other options Macc chose the wrong one. 

He has 0 success in the NFL the same record as Ryan Fitzpatrick and Todd Bowles 

Misery loves company.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gotta disagree.  It seems because the majority of posters here, fans in general, and media believed Fitz should have been signed, then it was common sense.  And as you say, Macc shouldn't be judged on that.

BS.  I don't want someone who has as much knowledge as the average fan or sports writer as our GM.  There were still plenty of fans who saw what Fitz was (a complete waste).  

Just because the masses think something, doesn't mean it was correct.  Paying Fitz ruined this season.  It's clear as day.  Just as clear as it was to many of us before he was re-signed.  

Question is if Macc should be fired for ruining an entire season and almost certainly hurting Woody's bottom line.  I can't answer that yet.  However the Wilk signing isn't looking so hot either.

This was a horrible year for Macc.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
  2. My take on Todd Bowles' QB choice: I don't like it. Here's why.

Fitzpatrick is having arguably the worst season of any Jets quarterback in the past 40 years

Holy crap, this GM/coach/QB combo is laughably incompetant.

Archived