Blame Woody's Organizational Structure

JetsFanatic

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-call-start-fitzpatrick-petty-indefensible-article-1.2882522?utm_content=buffercc56f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Why Todd Bowles' decision to start Ryan Fitzpatrick over Bryce Petty is simply indefensible 

Ryan Fitzpatrick will start against the Patriots, but his Jets career will likely end after this season.

(Jason Miller/Getty Images)

There's an unmistakable scent of cluelessness in the air once again that should annoy, anger and outrage a frustrated fan base.

The Jets are up to their old tricks with an illogical move that should tick off anyone who has had to suffer through the agony of the past five decades.

I respect Todd Bowles' principles, work ethic and drive, but it's simply impossible to defend his decision to start Ryan Fitzpatrick against the Patriots this week even though the coach's call revealed the worst kept secret on One Jets Drive: Bryce Petty makes his bearded competitor look like Unitas in practice.

Bowles said that he didn't take the pulse of the locker room before benching the second-year signal caller in favor of Fitzpatrick. Truth be told, he didn't need to take a straw poll to know what everyone with the gift of eyesight already knew in the building: For all of Fitzpatrick's warts this year, Petty STILL can't touch him.

Jets will start Ryan Fitzpatrick against Patriots

The state of the Jets’ quarterback situation is an awful mess.

Bowles absolutely would have lost some measure of credibility in his locker room if he stuck with Petty no matter what he claimed publicly.

"Coaches coach and players play," Bowles said Monday upon making his announcement. "Our locker room is fine. We don't worry about that stuff. We support whoever is out there."

That isn't close to a true statement.

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick wants to keep job but won't start trouble

As the Daily News reported last week, some veterans would have quit on Bowles if he turned to an inferior quarterback with six games remaining even though the 3-7 Jets are out of the playoff picture. It put the second-year coach in a tenuous position that ultimately led him back to Fitzpatrick, who is miles better than Petty at this point.

The move reeked of desperation even if Bowles claimed that he's not concerned about his job security.

"He's been playing all year," Bowles said about Fitzpatrick. "He knows more of the system. We can do more things with him. He's been the starter. I don't give away jobs. You got to take a job."

Translation: He wasn't going to hand over the most important gig on the field to a player who simply isn't ready to give his team a viable chance to beat the Evil Empire.

Jets GM has 'no regrets' on bringing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick back

You need to wear your big-boy pants in this league, and the big-boy truth is that Petty, for all his promise, isn't ready right now. Although Bowles repeatedly proclaimed that Petty's "time will come," he stopped short of guaranteeing that the player's chance will come this season… or even with the Jets.

"I'm not a prophet," the coach said. "I don't know."

Bowles discussed his rationale with general manager Mike Maccagnan, who dropped some subtle hints last week that Petty still has a way to go.

"He understands why I did it," said Bowles of the GM, who isn't the head coach's direct superior in Woody Johnson's flawed power structure.

Jets QB Bryce Petty gets start vs. Rams with Fitzpatrick injured

In a vacuum, it's hard to argue with starting the better player, but there are myriad factors that make it the wrong decision.

Fitzpatrick won't be back next season. What's the sense in playing the impending free agent when you have two developmental quarterbacks who need game experience in the here and now?

Sure, Petty doesn't give Bowles' team "the best chance to win," but who gives a flying you-know-what about that right now? The priority should be properly evaluating Petty to determine if he has any chance to be the long-term solution to an age-old question for this star-crossed franchise.

"I actually know quite a bit about both of them," Bowles said of his two beardless signal callers. "It's not paramount for them to play right now. Right now, Fitz gives us the best option. You don't play a person to see what you have. Petty's time will come. So, we'll be patient with that."

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

Petty is in the second half of his second season. It's patently absurd not to allow him to get on-the-job training in real games. It might actually be an added bonus if some veterans pack it in. It'll be easier to weed out those quitters in the offseason.

Bowles has taken a myopic view of the most important decision facing this franchise. With no checks and balances in place, only the owner has the authority to intervene and put an end to this nonsense.

"We're trying to win a ball game," Bowles said. "And get to 4-7."

Is there anyone in this organization who understands the big picture?

I'M NOT A HUGE MANISH MEHTA FAN BUT HE IS DEAD ON HERE!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fitz being "better" is a false argument. Fitz is proven awful. Petty is "likely" awful. At this point you play Petty to confirm that's he's awful, or see if live reps bring his game up.

Fitz does nothing for this team at all.

They see Petty everyday. It seems very clear to me that they require no confirmation that he's awful. Neither Petty nor Fitz will be on the team next year so I have no problem with starting Fitz.

I can't stand Fitz and was strongly and vocally against his signing but I agree with this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They see Petty everyday. It seems very clear to me that they require no confirmation that he's awful. Neither Petty nor Fitz will be on the team next year so I have no problem with starting Fitz.

I can't stand Fitz and was strongly and vocally against his signing but I agree with this decision.

They see Fitx every day, and in games. He IS awful. They insist on saying he's not.

They have lost all credibility when it comes to judgment of awful.

They'd better best the Pats. Otherwise this decision is a complete betrayal of roster evaluation.

They have seen a player everyday that was hurt for 8 -9 weeks and hasn't had any reps (limited reps preparing for one of the leagues best defenses and first start), but they can tell he is awful.  Thank goodness for the crystal ball.

I want nothing more than to see Petty or Hack play the rest of the year, but the reality is the premise of this article is correct, its all on Woody. If we play Petty/Hack and go 3-13, Bowles will very likely get fired. 

Everyone knows that Woody's word is crap, so even if he tells Bowles to play Petty and he will be retained next year regardless of the record, it does not mean squat. He has proven it before.

Bowles is going to do what he believes gives him the best chance to win every game, regardless of what we want to see, becasue its his career on the line.

People can put all the blame they want on Fitzpatrick, Bowles, Maccagan, etc., but the real problem is Woodrow Johnson. Until our ass hat of an owner learns how to run a successful franchise, nothing will ever change.

We have fans screaming that Bowles should be fired for starting Fitz, and those will be the same fans screaming that Bowles should be fired if he goes 3-13 or 4-12.

This franchise so douched, its literally an impossible situation. Only way out of it is going to be to luck our asses off into a great QB. Generally speaking, luck is not a strategy. 

if they know Petty stinks why is he on the team?  it was a huge mistake to carry 4qbs and all those TE's who don't play.  i blame this on Mac.

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

They see Fitx every day, and in games. He IS awful. They insist on saying he's not.

They have lost all credibility when it comes to judgment of awful.

They'd better best the Pats. Otherwise this decision is a complete betrayal of roster evaluation.

Its not about Fitz being awful, thats a given, one most didnt or couldnt understand before the season started.  Its about Petty being able, having the tools to actually play.  He didnt show that he had a clue in his start.  If hes not ready playing helps no one

What you guys don't understand is Woody is not a bright guy.  He's not just not smart about football he's inept about everything else he inherited everything he has.

That's exactly why I want Mac to keep his job even if Bowles gets fired.  Mac is our first GM with a clue since Parcells.

5 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Despite the misleading ups and downs, this team has been on a downward trajectory since Woody bought it.  17 years later, what evidence is there that he knows how to be an effective owner?

I can't think of anything.

this is one of the most asinine posts ever written on this site.  despite misleading ups and downs?  you mean making almost as many playoff apps from 2000-2015 as we did from 1960-1999? you mean winning as many playoff games 200-2015 as we did from 1960-1999?

By the way, 2000-2016(we'll call it 2016 now) is 17 seasons

1960-1999 is 40 seasons

so in 23 less seasons we have just 2 less PO apps and the same # of PO wins and same # of AFC East titles w/ more title game apps but yeah it's been nothing but a downard trajectory "despite the misleading ups and downs" since he bought the team.:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

What you guys don't understand is Woody is not a bright guy.  He's not just not smart about football he's inept about everything else he inherited everything he has.

That's exactly why I want Mac to keep his job even if Bowles gets fired.  Mac is our first GM with a clue since Parcells.

I think Mac has a decent eye for talent, which has been a real issue with the previous GMs. So, based on that alone, I'd like to see him stay.

Bowles? I have absolutely no allegiance to him: he's not a tactician or a motivator or a disciplinarian. He just stands there being humble.

7 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Despite the misleading ups and downs, this team has been on a downward trajectory since Woody bought it.  17 years later, what evidence is there that he knows how to be an effective owner?

I can't think of anything.

He's a terrible owner.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Fitz being "better" is a false argument. Fitz is proven awful. Petty is "likely" awful. At this point you play Petty to confirm that's he's awful, or see if live reps bring his game up.

That is why Jets fans are so outraged at Blowes decision. I have seen enough of Fitzpatrick to last a lifetime and while he gives the team a better chance to win, that chance is very low so why not thrust Petty in? It makes zero sense in the context of the future, and maybe Blowes knows Petty sucks. Maybe Petty is a complete non factor as an NFL QB. That must be the case since Blowes says "he knows a lot about each QB" and still thinks Fitz is better. Looks like the Jets are doomed to signing a FA like Jay Cutler to be the next QB because Hack and Petty are hot garbage according to Blowes and his decision.

49 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

mac is terrible too-I will wait for somebody to spout the same garbage they did about izadick-he needs time he has a plan blah blah blah

mac signed revis to a terrible deal-pats saw he was toast so they let him go-most fans saw revis lost a step but our gm did not

mac signed mo to a terrible deal-most fans saw this was a bad and that was before we found out he is a cancer and skips meetings something the team knew

Mac signed Fitz to contract at a raise when the entire league passed on him and most fans knew fitz was a jag and after the buffalo game knew he would never get us into the playoffs just like his entire career has shown-sure lets pay a guy with a loosing record of about 5 years on the road vs winning teams

our drafts have been awful-tell me how early it is and they are all going to be great-only guy with anything is williams and my little nephew would not have missed on that pick

Our offensive line sucks besides mangold -mac tried to replace it with a guy that cant stay healthy-if it worked it would have been great but it failed

parcells was the only hire woody did right-the best way to win is hire those that have won before and have a proven track record

Bowles needs to go, Mac needs to as well-hire proven guys and pay them big bucks-for the right money you can get anybody you want for the most part

Woody needs to go too but odds are that wont happen so hire real football people and pay them what they need to fix this sh*t show

50 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think Mac has a decent eye for talent, which has been a real issue with the previous GMs. So, based on that alone, I'd like to see him stay.

Bowles? I have absolutely no allegiance to him: he's not a tactician or a motivator or a disciplinarian. He just stands there being humble.

I'm horrified at the prospect of Woody picking Mac's replacement for GM.  God knows we might end up with Tim Tebow as the GM

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

mac is terrible too-I will wait for somebody to spout the same garbage they did about izadick-he needs time he has a plan blah blah blah

mac signed revis to a terrible deal-pats saw he was toast so they let him go-most fans saw revis lost a step but our gm did not

mac signed mo to a terrible deal-most fans saw this was a bad and that was before we found out he is a cancer and skips meetings something the team knew

Mac signed Fitz to contract at a raise when the entire league passed on him and most fans knew fitz was a jag and after the buffalo game knew he would never get us into the playoffs just like his entire career has shown-sure lets pay a guy with a loosing record of about 5 years on the road vs winning teams

our drafts have been awful-tell me how early it is and they are all going to be great-only guy with anything is williams and my little nephew would not have missed on that pick

Our offensive line sucks besides mangold -mac tried to replace it with a guy that cant stay healthy-if it worked it would have been great but it failed

parcells was the only hire woody did right-the best way to win is hire those that have won before and have a proven track record

Bowles needs to go, Mac needs to as well-hire proven guys and pay them big bucks-for the right money you can get anybody you want for the most part

Woody needs to go too but odds are that wont happen so hire real football people and pay them what they need to fix this sh*t show

Idzik had 0 ability to evaluate talent.  I've disagreed with some of Mac's moves but he does have some ability to evaluate players

Do you really want Woody Johnson picking Mac's replacement?

I don't know whether Mac or Bowles is the answer, but what I do know if that neither of them are showing what they are truly capable of because of Woody and his organizational structure.

Macc's signings and picks were not long-term minded moves-they were patches to stay competitive with the fading veterans under contract (many of whom were uncuttable).  The draft picks were basically hole plugs more than BPAs.  

Bowles story is less than clear, but he appears to have lost his ability to coach, and his staff appears unfocused and unmotivated.

Bring back Parcells as Overseer of Football Operations on a part-time basis.

48 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Unless you are Woody Johnson, Mac didn't sign Revis or Mo to a terrible deal. Revis can be cut this offseason and save money against the cap. Mo's contract isn't that bad either and we can part ways with him in a year or two as well. Who cares that he paid them a bunch of $ upfront other than Woody? Bottom line is if they don't produce, the contract is easy to get out of. This is the opposite of what doomed Tanny, where he gave massive contracts that were back-loaded which put us into cap hell when he had to keep restructuring. 

Mac's drafts have not been horrible, yes a few bad picks but every GM has a few bad picks each draft. In either case, he did hit on more picks and UDFA than Idzik so he is obviously doing a better job there as well. 

45 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Idzik had 0 ability to evaluate talent.  I've disagreed with some of Mac's moves but he does have some ability to evaluate players

Do you really want Woody Johnson picking Mac's replacement?

I have seen NOTHING that shows me mac can evaluate players-he has drafted one player and that was a first rounder that anybody would have made-at best he has drafted some guys who may turn into decent players-there are no stud players out of his drafts

all woody has to do is look at the cubs-you pay a proven guy top dollar and let him run it all-when he hired parcells it was a smart move-he needs to do a similar type move-no more hiring of unproven garbage to run the team or coach it

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

We all LOVED what the Tuna did here in 1997 to 1999, right before the prick quit. That was 20 years ago.  Tuna is done and the game passed him by. In Miami and Dallas he showed that his old school ways arent what works and as a GM he is not very good at drafting.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not about Fitz being awful, thats a given, one most didnt or couldnt understand before the season started.  Its about Petty being able, having the tools to actually play.  He didnt show that he had a clue in his start.  If hes not ready playing helps no one

Yea, real reps are totally a detriment to player development.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I don't know whether Mac or Bowles is the answer, but what I do know if that neither of them are showing what they are truly capable of because of Woody and his organizational structure.

Macc's signings and picks were not long-term minded moves-they were patches to stay competitive with the fading veterans under contract (many of whom were uncuttable).  The draft picks were basically hole plugs more than BPAs.  

Bowles story is less than clear, but he appears to have lost his ability to coach, and his staff appears unfocused and unmotivated.

BP was an awful GM type, we did well b/c of his COACHING.  his drafts from 1997-1999 were BRUTAL, he overspent in FA, put us in cap hell, cost us peyton Manning, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

No thanks on BP as an exec.

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

this statement ignores the 1 start Petty was given and the 6 points he managed in that start. 

it pisses me off when people say we "need to see what we have" with these marginal players. Bullsh*t.

Geno Smith had 30 starts we didn't need to see one more to know he's terrible.

Petty got his relief start and while he's got potential (not a Geno Smith team cancer) clearly he's not ready for the job. We don't need to see him get smoked by the Pats to "see what we have" 

and on a side note there's a very fine line between evaluating players and ruining them. Let's throw Hack in there to see what we have is like saying let's taste this raw cake batter to see if it will be a good cake. These projects take time. Playing them before they are ready, is that proving they stink or just ruining them? 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

the irony is that Bowles is a direct branch of the Parcells coaching tree. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Parcells#Coaching_tree

Unfortunately we're still paying for the Idzik debacle.  What I mean is, Woody set it up this way because Rex reported to Idzik leading to a coach and GM who disliked each other and had completely different goals.  That wasn't Rex and Idzik's fault that was Woody's fault for forcing a coach on a GM.  Unfortunately this time around Woody ALMOST did it right but couldn't help himself, the right move was hire a competent GM, let him hire a coach and stay out of the way.

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

That is why Jets fans are so outraged at Blowes decision. I have seen enough of Fitzpatrick to last a lifetime and while he gives the team a better chance to win, that chance is very low so why not thrust Petty in? It makes zero sense in the context of the future, and maybe Blowes knows Petty sucks. Maybe Petty is a complete non factor as an NFL QB. That must be the case since Blowes says "he knows a lot about each QB" and still thinks Fitz is better. Looks like the Jets are doomed to signing a FA like Jay Cutler to be the next QB because Hack and Petty are hot garbage according to Blowes and his decision.

Sir, you spelled the head coach's name wrong.

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this statement ignores the 1 start Petty was given and the 6 points he managed in that start. 

it pisses me off when people say we "need to see what we have" with these marginal players. Bullsh*t.

Geno Smith had 30 starts we didn't need to see one more to know he's terrible.

Petty got his relief start and while he's got potential (not a Geno Smith team cancer) clearly he's not ready for the job. We don't need to see him get smoked by the Pats to "see what we have" 

and on a side note there's a very fine line between evaluating players and ruining them. Let's throw Hack in there to see what we have is like saying let's taste this raw cake batter to see if it will be a good cake. These projects take time. Playing them before they are ready, is that proving they stink or just ruining them? 

I'm sorry my old friend, as we usually agree, but I simply cannot agree that we got a proper evaluation of Petty with that abortion of a game plan two weeks ago.

It's a same old Jets story, when we do play a young player, we take all the air out of the ball, go ultra-conservative (more than normal, which says something!) and we judge the kid based on the few throws, usually of 0-10 yards, he was allowed to make by a scared and gutless Defensive-minded coaching staff.

Playing Fitz does nothing for our future.  Players who give up because we play Petty show us they too do not belong on this team next year or beyond.

I see no negative playing Petty the rest of this year.  Only positives and insights.  If he fails, he fails.   At least we'll know, and can focus on the pending offseason in acquiring a QB who does not suck (because lets be clear, Hack is a bust-in-the-making thus far).

I, for one, am tired of this organization keeping QB's they don;t like or want.  If Petty sucks, he should have been dumped and a QB brought in they liked and would be willing to play if circumstances led to that.  Why the hell carry a player you refuse to play?

Archived