Woody Johnson, Joe Beningo and Being Naive

UnitedWhofans

I was naive. I thought that since Woody Johnson brought in two football people (Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly) to assist him in finding a GM and a HC, that he had finally seen the light. That he had finally realized that since he knows very little about football, he should get people in who know about football and are not just bean counters and that when these football people are brought in he would let them do their work.

Boy was I wrong.

He is as meddling as ever. Even if he didn't meddle in this QB decision, it's clear that he still wants his hands on the team. The statement that Mike Maccagnan, the GM OF THE TEAM, doesn't have the power to fire the head coach, is ridiculous. If Maccagnan turns out to be a bust, which I dont think so yet, no football executive worth his salt is going to take this job

There will be more unproven rookie executives and head coaches because veteran head coaches will want some power and Woody will be unable to give it to them.

Maybe this is why Belichick left, I don't know.

And of course there is another problem with Woody that I have certainly let known. He listens too much to the media and the fanbase.

Joe Beningo, who I wish would just shut up and go back to peddling fruit, said this this morning:

"I like Woody Johnson. He listens to fans......."

THAT'S THE ******* PROBLEM!

He listens to people who are clearly not in the capability of making football decisions. He sways with the wind. He makes too many decisions with the fanbase, media and his wallet in mind. This Fitzpatrick decision is clearly based on getting butts in the seats or getting his money's worth on the 12m.

And why was Fitzpatrick resigned? BECAUSE MEDIA AND FANS WANTED HIM TOO. And those who didn't want him were not loud enough or did not have representation in the media.

Joe Beningo, to me, represents everything that is wrong with the Jets fanbase and in turn the organization. And the fact that he has a prominent voice in this market is a big reason why there is this cesspool here.

I have believed before that the Jets could win a championship with Woody Johnson as owner. Now is the first time in my fanhood (12 years) that I don't think this is the case at all.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"the problem is the QB" no it goes deeper 

"the problem is the hC" no it goes deeper

"the problem is the owner" no it actually goes deeper than even that. 

the real problem is that you believed the Jets could win a championship, period. no matter who the owner is. 

the Jets are jobbers. the team exists so that the league can sell Tom Brady jerseys in London. SO that "real fans" in flyover country can have a team to hate.  

Our expectations as fans, are way too high. 

They won't win a championship, we could live to be 200 years old.  It's like rooting for the Washington generals. (another Green team) Teams like the Pats and the Giants are red-white-and-blue like the Globetrotters...  and  btw they share a stadium with the heroes. 

Woody's vision was for the Jets to have an amazing stadium that isn't in a swamp, and not share it  with the goody two shoes Giants. Woody has good intentions. It's bigger than even Woody. 

Washinton-Generals.jpg

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the real problem is that you believed the Jets could win a championship, period. no matter who the owner is. 

the Jets are jobbers. the team exists so that the league can sell Tom Brady jerseys in London. SO that "real fans" in flyover country can have a team to hate.  

They won't win a championship, we could live to be 200 years old.  It's like rooting for the Washington generals. (another Green team) Teams like the Pats and the Giants are red-white-and-blue like the Globetrotters...  and  btw they share a stadium with the heroes. 

Woody's vision was for the Jets to have an amazing stadium that isn't in a swamp, and not share it  with the goody two shoes Giants. Woody has good intentions. It's bigger than even Woody. 

Washinton-Generals.jpg

You should give credit when you plagiarize.

19 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

The banner and billboards need to say "Sell Now Woody" or something like that.  "Fire Bowles" is just more of the same.

Let's look at the last 10 years of Woody Johnson's ownership:

2007 4-12
2008 9-7*
2009 9-7*
2010 11-5*
2011 8-8
2012 6-10
2013 8-8
2014 4-12
2015 10-6*
2016 5-11

In a 10 year period, that's 4 winning seasons, 6 non-losing seasons, and 2 playoff appearances which is well above average in the NFL.  So while the 4 losing seasons suck, the other 6 were exciting into December, look at most NFL teams over the last 10 years we actually had it good

And go back to the first 6 years of Woody Johnson's tenure:

2000 9-7
2001 10-6*
2002 9-7*
2003 6-10
2004 10-6*
2005 4-12
2006 10-6*

Over the 17 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets we have 9 winning seasons, 6 non-losing seasons, and 6 playoff appearances which is not only the best stretch in team history, but it's right up there with almost every team in the NFL that has had a bonafide franchise quarterback let alone those that don't.  Find me another team without a quarterback like Brady, Manning, or Brees since 2000 that has had 9 winning seasons and played in 12 playoff games.

We are having a bad stretch.  We are stuck with what Rex Ryan and John Idzik did to this franchise and it's going to take more than 1 fluke Fitzpatrick season against a cupcake schedule to fix it.  Woody Johnson has been a fine owner.  You fans are ridiculous.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

2007 4-12
2008 9-7*
2009 9-7*
2010 11-5*
2011 8-8
2012 6-10
2013 8-8
2014 4-12
2015 10-6*
2016 5-11

In a 10 year period, that's 4 winning seasons, 6 non-losing seasons, and 2 playoff appearances which is well above average in the NFL.  So while the 4 losing seasons suck, the other 6 were exciting into December, look at most NFL teams over the last 10 years we actually had it good

2000 9-7
2001 10-6*
2002 9-7*
2003 6-10
2004 10-6*
2005 4-12
2006 10-6*

Over the 17 seasons Woody Johnson has owned the Jets we have 9 winning seasons, 6 non-losing seasons, and 6 playoff appearances which is not only the best stretch in team history, but it's right up there with almost every team in the NFL that has had a bonafide franchise quarterback let alone those that don't.  Find me another team without a quarterback like Brady, Manning, or Brees since 2000 that has had 9 winning seasons and played in 12 playoff games.

We are having a bad stretch.  We are stuck with what Rex Ryan and John Idzik did to this franchise and it's going to take more than 1 fluke Fitzpatrick season against a cupcake schedule to fix it.  Woody Johnson has been a fine owner.  You fans are ridiculous.

SAR I

This sums it up, last year was unfortunately the worst thing to happen to this front office and set expectations too high for this year.  This team is very much still in rebuild mode and cleaning up from years of mismanagement.  The jury is still out on whether these are the guys to do it but I do think a little more patience is needed before we start firing everyone again.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Washinton-Generals.jpg

The Saints were like that and they won.

You can overcome being a low level franchise to a winner.

You seem to forget that the Patriots were an awful franchise for years, when at their worst were run by a guy (the Gilette guy) who knew sh*t about football too

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Saints were like that and they won.

You can overcome being a low level franchise to a winner.

You seem to forget that the Patriots were an awful franchise for years, when at their worst were run by a guy (the Gilette guy) who knew sh*t about football too

The Saints were on their way out of that town before Katrina 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_Hurricane_Katrina_on_the_New_Orleans_Saints

The Patriots are another example of the league finding a narrative they like, is it just a coincidence that the red white and blue team just happens to win everything during the year of 9-11? They built a dynasty based on cheating and the league let it happen because it was good optics. 

So yeah, the Jets could turn it around, if the league found a compelling storyline. Don't hold your breath, though. 

Washinton-Generals.jpg

Pessimism runs deep.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

2007 4-12
2008 9-7*
2009 9-7*
2010 11-5*
2011 8-8
2012 6-10
2013 8-8
2014 4-12
2015 10-6*
2016 5-11

2000 9-7
2001 10-6*
2002 9-7*
2003 6-10
2004 10-6*
2005 4-12
2006 10-6*

SAR I

HERE HERE!!!

SAR FOR NEXT OWNER OF THE FRANCHISE!!!

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Saints were on their way out of that town before Katrina 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_of_Hurricane_Katrina_on_the_New_Orleans_Saints

The Patriots are another example of the league finding a narrative they like, is it just a coincidence that the red white and blue team just happens to win everything during the year of 9-11? They built a dynasty based on cheating and the league let it happen because it was good optics. 

So yeah, the Jets could turn it around, if the league found a compelling storyline. Don't hold your breath, though. 

You're suggesting the NFL is like wrestling?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

2007 4-12
2008 9-7*
2009 9-7*
2010 11-5*
2011 8-8
2012 6-10
2013 8-8
2014 4-12
2015 10-6*
2016 5-11

2000 9-7
2001 10-6*
2002 9-7*
2003 6-10
2004 10-6*
2005 4-12
2006 10-6*

SAR I

Nonsense.  First of all when Johnson bought the team the Jets had appeared in the Champ game at the end of the 98 season, 20 minutes away from the SB, and entered 99 as a favorite to repeat as a playoff team but were killed when Vinny went down in the first quarter of the first game.  Still the culture was a winning one, and they had FOUR first round picks going into the 2000 draft.

Since then despite the champ game appearances under Ryan, the Jets have overall had a losing record under Johnson's ownership (130--136), and have not had a playoff appearance in 5 years and counting, meaning six with this season a certainty.  The overall trajectory has been downward since he took the team despite the occasional upticks.  We have witnessed such ridiculous episodes as the Tebow trade, hiring Idzik while retaining the HC and requiring the GM retain the HC, everyone in fact has their lists.

On the immediate horizon we have no reason to think the Jets are poised to make a significant improvement.  At Qb the Jets probably do not have their 17 starting Qb on the team despite entering this season with FOUR qb's on the roster.  The fans are in revolt over the second year HC, the GM has no control over the HC, and Woody Johnson knows less about football than your average poster here.

I see no reason to be optimistic about Johnson's continued ownership.  He's owned the team for 17 years.  What has he learned?  What real accomplishments does he have?

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Engine suggests that but I think it's more like Boxing. the outcomes aren't totally rigged but they aren't completely fair either.

they put their thumb on the scale when they need a certain outcome. Let's be real they can't even define a catch the officials can make a loser into a winner if that's what the league wants. 

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Hmmmmm the NFL said to the courts that they could burn the tapes precisely because they were and are more akin to wrestling than a competitive game.

And hence why I have always said that they the NFL itself would and is destroying it's own product!!

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmm the NFL said to the courts that they could burn the tapes precisely because they were and are more akin to wrestling than a competitive game.

And hence why I have always said that they the NFL itself would and is destroying it's own product!!

Stop being smart.  Okay?!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

2007 4-12
2008 9-7*
2009 9-7*
2010 11-5*
2011 8-8
2012 6-10
2013 8-8
2014 4-12
2015 10-6*
2016 5-11

2000 9-7
2001 10-6*
2002 9-7*
2003 6-10
2004 10-6*
2005 4-12
2006 10-6*

SAR I

POST OF THE WEEK!

I say this all of the time. Always falls on deaf ears.

??? what's that the jobbers reference? If someone else has the same idea, awesome. 

Over two years ago. I referred to them as heels, and then jobbers.  Over on the addicts board. Have been pushing the theory since.

Probably created a latent memory. 

Whatever!!!  The organizational structure was no problem last year when we were 10-5, winning
5 games in a row and Maccagnan was in the process of being named "Executive Of The Year".  Can
fans ever be truthful and admit that they ONLY complain when things don't work out the way they
want them to???  I said it before and I'll repeat it, if we had an average/competent QB (Alex
Smith) we would be 6-4 or 5-5 and right in the middle of the playoff hunt.  And that's with:

- Revis declining

- Wilkerson catching "Albert Haynesworth disease"

- Williams being exposed as a #4 CB

- Pryor not progressing etc., etc.

The CIN, KC, MIA & LA were all easily winnable if our QB play was better.  Bowles & Maccagnan 
have their failings and need to get better.  BUT Fitzpatrick is the #1 culprit in this train wreck
of a season 

12 minutes ago, KRL said:

Whatever!!!  The organizational structure was no problem last year when we were 10-5, winning
5 games in a row and Maccagnan was in the process of being named "Executive Of The Year".  Can
fans ever be truthful and admit that they ONLY complain when things don't work out the way they
want them to???  I said it before and I'll repeat it, if we had an average/competent QB (Alex
Smith) we would be 6-4 or 5-5 and right in the middle of the playoff hunt.  And that's with:

- Revis declining

- Wilkerson catching "Albert Haynesworth disease"

- Williams being exposed as a #4 CB

- Pryor not progressing etc., etc.

The CIN, KC, MIA & LA were all easily winnable if our QB play was better.  Bowles & Maccagnan 
have their failings and need to get better.  BUT Fitzpatrick is the #1 culprit in this train wreck
of a season 

Yes.....

Hence the need to move on from Fitz which the crazy organization seems unwilling to do!!! 

43 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

After being groomed by Parcells for years,  Belicheat took one look at Woody--who had just bought the team--and bolted with his infamous "HC of the NYJ" resignation letter.  I think we can all figure out the problem.  Belicheat, at a minimum, comes off as supremely prescient.

Why do people keep posting this?

When Belichick stepped down Woody Johnson wasn't the owner. He wasn't even the frontrunner to be the owner, as he wasn't even the highest bidder when BB handed in his resignation napkin.

His "power structure" is the stuff of pure idiocy, but he'd never yet so much as met Belichick - nor Parcells, for that matter - when that whole thing went down.

45 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Beyond all of that. Here is the reason why the Jets are where they are: This is why I hopefully can say that Maccagnan is better. Because I see more Pro Bowl potential in his picks than in the other 2.

Since 2008 the have drafted 59 players ... they've all combined for 2 total Pro Bowls. Yikes.

This stat is completely false. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hate to say it, but it isn't. I've got Sheldon 2014 and Mo 2015. Who else?

Anyone else was a veteran brought in via trade or FA, or a player drafted prior to 2008.

Revis?

forgot drafted 2007

Archived