Woody Johnson, Joe Beningo and Being Naive

UnitedWhofans

13 hours ago, Dcat said:

This is wrong on so many levels is difficult to know where to start.

The fact that it contradicts itself by calling the Midwest the real fans for which the Jets are the jobbers, but then goes on to talk about how the best teams are also in the North East?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Woody failed on the West Side stadium.....

You: Woody failed on the West Side stadium.

[It was a 1% chance at a land grab in Manhattan, it wasn't real, no Jets fan thought it would ever happen.]

You: Woody failed on MetLife.

[The Jets are now tied for #3 in attendance in the NFL, we are #1 in the AFC even in lousy years.

You: Woody failed on ticket pricing.

[78,000 people who fill the place have no problem with the fact that 16,000 PSL owners sometimes take losses on games they can't attend and offer them at low prices to other fans.]

You: Woody failed on fan experience.

[The stadium is easier to get in and out of then ever before, better food, better concourses, no bathroom lines, no people crashing into each other to get out after the games, no drunks, no smokers.]

You: Woody has failed on every coaching and GM hire so far, with the hopeful exception of Mac.

[We had the most success in our history during the 17 years of Woody Johnson's ownership, certainly better than the Leon Hess era.  Very few NFL coaches pan out, same for GM's.  Idzik was a disaster, holding onto Ryan too long was a mistake.  Other than that, he did okay.]

You: Woody has failed in creating a structure in which the coach does not report to the GM.

[Perhaps.  I don't like it, but I respect Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf and they were part of his decision process on hiring and reporting structure.]

You: Woody failed miserably on Tebow and every other gimmick he's tried to sell tickets.

[Failed on Tebow but won with Tomlinson, Holmes, Burress, and Favre to name a few.]

SAR I

17 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Are you kidding ? SAR 1 will have PSL's for parking spots !!

The parking spots are actually worth more (percentage-wise) on the aftermarket than seats are, so yes, I would gladly pay a parking PSL if the Jets asked me to.  I'd buy 4, in fact.

SAR I

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

He does a sheety radio commercial on Jets' broadcasts, so there is that piece of evidence indicating he has some affiliation with the team. Football, not so much. 

I like that Lexus of Turnpike spot. He's got a smooth radio voice. Having Decker say "bully" 8 times in that PSA however makes me want to give him elocution lessons.

14 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

People who think Woody Johnson is a good owner live in some kind of alternative universe I don't even want to try and contemplate.  In order to get there I would fear suffering permanent brain damage.

Woody and the Browns owner are the worst

17 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Woody is a very good owner

Mike Maccagnan is a terrific GM

Todd Bowles is a very good HC

The only really bad element is the gaggle of self hating "long suffering, wallowing in misery, oh the pain" Joe Benigno element of our fan base

Right.

The Jets are not a competitive team because of the fans.

Management is great. Every lost game, every wasted season, every quandered draft pick. On the fans.

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Over two years ago. I referred to them as heels, and then jobbers.  Over on the addicts board. Have been pushing the theory since.

Probably created a latent memory. 

my theory is more political than yours I won't go into it on this board but they are similar theories 

Maybe I did see yours and rip it off subconciously. if that's the case, you know what they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery 

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes.

The New York Jets are the biggest roller coaster in sports since the turn of the Century.  Show me another franchise in any sport that feels like it's turning the corner every-other-year and crashing and burning every-other-year.  It's been pure torture since 1998.  World beaters one year, doormats the next.

And through it all is this:  It almost worked.  We almost invented a way to get to the Super Bowl without a franchise quarterback, with crappy drafting, with CFL level head coaching, and all with a pair of Hall Of Famers in our division in our way.  We didn't do it.  But we came pretty close.

SAR I

This pretty much sums it all up.

Jets fans don't care about winning. They want bedtime stories and soap operas.

Woody doesn't care about winning. He wants to be cool. That's why he hires people who only care about getting paid. And why they hire people who only care about getting paid. And why they draft people who only care about getting paid.

The Jets suck because nobody really gives a sh*t. And until a whole bunch of you just sack up and go watch professional wrestling like you know you would if you didn't care what the neighbors think, they always will.

20 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

People give Parcells too much credit for turning the Jets around. He passed on two HOF QB's in Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, so IMO he was as much a part of the problem as anything. He did what he always does, show some improvement and then ask for a boatload of money, then leave.

100% agree

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone who thinks a GM would fire a HC, especially one under contract, of any football team without at least running it by the owner has absolutely no clue how a sports franchise is run.  Anywhere.

And just because he has to go to he owner first to inform him doesnt mean the owner would tell him not to go through with it. 

No it doesn't automatically mean that in theory or on paper on its face, but it does appear mean just that on the Jets.

• In 2013, new GM Idzik - like anyone else who interviewed for the GM job that year - didn't have the authority to fire the HC, and obviously January of 2017 would be the first year it could even theoretically come up since then (without the GM himself getting canned at the same time).
  • Would appear he couldn't a year later either. 
  • Also years before that, to show this isn't a new change in Jetsland, I very much doubt it was Tannenbaum's call to fire Mangini before Rex was hired, and further doubt he had the clout to block the firing if he disagreed with the move

Put aside the merits of keeping or firing any of them. The point is it wasn't the GM's call to make. On the Jets, it's more than just a courtesy of informing the owner. Our owner overrules the GMs he's hired to make such decisions. It's a sucky arrangement.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it doesn't automatically mean that in theory or on paper on its face, but it does appear mean just that on the Jets.

• In 2013, new GM Idzik - like anyone else who interviewed for the GM job that year - didn't have the authority to fire the HC, and obviously January of 2017 would be the first year it could even theoretically come up since then (without the GM himself getting canned at the same time).
  • Would appear he couldn't a year later either. 
  • Also years before that, to show this isn't a new change in Jetsland, I very much doubt it was Tannenbaum's call to fire Mangini before Rex was hired, and further doubt he had the clout to block the firing if he disagreed with the move

Put aside the merits of keeping or firing any of them. The point is it wasn't the GM's call to make. On the Jets, it's more than just a courtesy of informing the owner. Our owner overrules the GMs he's hired to make such decisions. It's a sucky arrangement.

Maybe but maybe not.  We don't know that Idzik wanted to fire Rex.  Or that he wasn't allowed to.  Even if he was restricted we don't know that the structure is the same today and that if Macc went to Woody to inform him that he was going to fire Bowles he would ever be told not to. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

100% agree

OMG, I lost my sh*t when I found out Parcells wouldn't guarantee Archie Manning he would take Payton with the 1st pick, so Payton stayed another year at Tennessee.

It blows my mind to think we could have drafted Dan Marino if they asked the opinion of JET FANS at the draft, Payton Manning if Parcells cared more about the future welfare of the organization rather than his own immediate gratification, Russell Wilson if the guy pounding the table for him hadn't drafted a kicker in the 2nd round or traded up for the bowling ball with knifes and lost all faith from the brass above him.

The Jets are really a sad, sad, situation. 

On 11/22/2016 at 0:48 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

I was naive. I thought that since Woody Johnson brought in two football people (Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly) to assist him in finding a GM and a HC, that he had finally seen the light. That he had finally realized that since he knows very little about football, he should get people in who know about football and are not just bean counters and that when these football people are brought in he would let them do their work.

Boy was I wrong.

He is as meddling as ever. Even if he didn't meddle in this QB decision, it's clear that he still wants his hands on the team. The statement that Mike Maccagnan, the GM OF THE TEAM, doesn't have the power to fire the head coach, is ridiculous. If Maccagnan turns out to be a bust, which I dont think so yet, no football executive worth his salt is going to take this job

There will be more unproven rookie executives and head coaches because veteran head coaches will want some power and Woody will be unable to give it to them.

Maybe this is why Belichick left, I don't know.

And of course there is another problem with Woody that I have certainly let known. He listens too much to the media and the fanbase.

Joe Beningo, who I wish would just shut up and go back to peddling fruit, said this this morning:

"I like Woody Johnson. He listens to fans......."

THAT'S THE ******* PROBLEM!

He listens to people who are clearly not in the capability of making football decisions. He sways with the wind. He makes too many decisions with the fanbase, media and his wallet in mind. This Fitzpatrick decision is clearly based on getting butts in the seats or getting his money's worth on the 12m.

And why was Fitzpatrick resigned? BECAUSE MEDIA AND FANS WANTED HIM TOO. And those who didn't want him were not loud enough or did not have representation in the media.

Joe Beningo, to me, represents everything that is wrong with the Jets fanbase and in turn the organization. And the fact that he has a prominent voice in this market is a big reason why there is this cesspool here.

I have believed before that the Jets could win a championship with Woody Johnson as owner. Now is the first time in my fanhood (12 years) that I don't think this is the case at all.

Benigno is an idiot

I was naive. I thought that since Woody Johnson brought in two football people (Ron Wolf and Charlie Casserly) to assist him in finding a GM and a HC, that he had finally seen the light. That he had finally realized that since he knows very little about football, he should get people in who know about football and are not just bean counters and that when these football people are brought in he would let them do their work.

Boy was I wrong.

He is as meddling as ever. Even if he didn't meddle in this QB decision, it's clear that he still wants his hands on the team. The statement that Mike Maccagnan, the GM OF THE TEAM, doesn't have the power to fire the head coach, is ridiculous. If Maccagnan turns out to be a bust, which I dont think so yet, no football executive worth his salt is going to take this job

There will be more unproven rookie executives and head coaches because veteran head coaches will want some power and Woody will be unable to give it to them.

And of course there is another problem with Woody that I have certainly let known. He listens too much to the media and the fanbase.

Joe Beningo, who I wish would just shut up and go back to peddling fruit, said this this morning:

"I like Woody Johnson. He listens to fans......."

THAT'S THE ******* PROBLEM!

He listens to people who are clearly not in the capability of making football decisions. He sways with the wind. He makes too many decisions with the fanbase, media and his wallet in mind. This Fitzpatrick decision is clearly based on getting butts in the seats or getting his money's worth on the 12m.

And why was Fitzpatrick resigned? BECAUSE MEDIA AND FANS WANTED HIM TOO. And those who didn't want him were not loud enough or did not have representation in the media.

Joe Beningo, to me, represents everything that is wrong with the Jets fanbase and in turn the organization. And the fact that he has a prominent voice in this market is a big reason why there is this cesspool here.

I have believed before that the Jets could win a championship with Woody Johnson as owner. Now is the first time in my fanhood (12 years) that I don't think this is the case at all.

Well I'll be damned...good post

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

You: Woody failed on the West Side stadium.

[It was a 1% chance at a land grab in Manhattan, it wasn't real, no Jets fan thought it would ever happen.]

SAR I

Oh, really? Well I hope Sheldon Silver is getting ass raped by Bubba, and Bubba's friends, as we speak anyway

he left because krafty met him on the side of the road in a limo (while belicheat was still under contract with the jets) to offer him the cheatahs job for more cash, plain and simple

12 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Oh, really? Well I hope Sheldon Silver is getting ass raped by Bubba, and Bubba's friends, as we speak anyway

He probably is but that is immaterial to the Jets and the WSS conversation.

It was never going to happen.  New York needed someone to justify building a stadium, Woody Johnson would be insane not to roll the dice for the 1% longshot of getting free land in Manhattan, in the end the Olympics chose a different city, and that was that.

The lengths some Jets fans go to in order to perpetuate this myth that we are a persecuted, little-brother of a franchise is just dumbfounding.

SAR I

Woody is a microcosm of the whole Jets org over the last number of years.  In some aspects he is a good owner and in others he is terrible, much like our coaches and gms over the last 10 years.  They all have strengths and all have horrible weaknesses and never get better because they cannot recognize the weaknesses for what they are.

As an owner I think he truly wants to win and truly cares about the fans.  He is not a cheap skate and is willing to spend money.  Unfortunately he fails badly in the way he has structured the organization.  No solid trustworthy long time experience NFL guy just under him who would report to Woody.  A GM and a coach reporting to him separately and thus the GM is neutered, he is virtually a glorified pr personnel guy.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

the dolans knew the soft spot in the system and got to silver first.  **** that guy

Dolan never forgot his bid was bigger than Johnson's but Tagliabue asked the Hess family to take Johnson's bid "for the good of the NFL". Which is the exact point you could have told anyone with grey matter the Dolans would not ever allow a 70,000+ stadium open 3 blocks from MSG unless they had a piece. 

On 11/23/2016 at 0:14 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This pretty much sums it all up.

Jets fans don't care about winning. They want bedtime stories and soap operas.

Woody doesn't care about winning. He wants to be cool. That's why he hires people who only care about getting paid. And why they hire people who only care about getting paid. And why they draft people who only care about getting paid.

The Jets suck because nobody really gives a sh*t. And until a whole bunch of you just sack up and go watch professional wrestling like you know you would if you didn't care what the neighbors think, they always will.

Which is why they should move to a place where somebody gives a sh*t

Archived