As Of FO's Most Recent Stats, The Jets Passed On 5 Of The Top 7 2016 QBs

RutgersJetFan

It is easy to cherrypick a couple of QBs from the last few drafts and say "we could have gotten these guys". How many QBs that were picked before or around these guys have bombed.

Bortles, Manziel, McCarron, Mettenburg, EJ Manuel, Barkley, Nassib, RG3,Foles, Weedin. As well as drafted QBs I didn't even recognize the name of Thomas? Savage?

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Updated yesterday, and 4 are within the past 5 years:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Dak, Cousins, Carr and Wilson. Brady's pushing it but it counts.

And fun addendum, they also blew their shots to draft Ryan and Mariota because hooray for meaningless December wins during lost seasons. So at some point the Jets missed or blew their chance on 7 of the top 9.

Jet fans are reaching with this one.. Every team in the league passed on those guys at least once. Some multiple times.

On 11/23/2016 at 3:01 PM, rangerous said:

it's so true about missing on the draft.  just look at all of the second round picks that have been squandered on the likes of clemens, or hill, or ducasse, or justin miller, or maybe geno, maybe hack, not to mention the first round busts like gholston, or milliner, or wilson.  and let's not forget trading high round picks for guys like doug jolley or santonio holmes.  heck that's 11 draft busts that could actually have a chance of still playing had they panned out.  as for qb's it's almost like the big time progrms are showcasing their guys to get them drafted.  maybe that's a good gage of how good a qb can be but maybe it also means they need to look at less prominent programs,

Agree with much of this, though we didn't trade high picks for either Jolley (~3rd rd) or Holmes (5th rd).

As far as the programs, I don't know that one's prominence yields poorer prospects than less prominent ones. I don't watch much college ball, but I'd think typically the best teams have the best players (or the most good players anyway). A professional scout/GM is supposed to be able to weed out which have talent that translates to the NFL level, which are coachable regardless of talent, etc. as well as assigning value and pick risk on each. It is in these areas we've so often been so sucky. 

This thread proves that you don't need a top 2 pick to draft a good qb.  You need scouting, development, luck and nerve.  Theoretically Hack can be on that list in 2 years, as could Petty.   I think the Jets biggest failure at this point is qb development and coaching generally, not scouting.

kinda shows why having a coach not report to the gym, and instead to a clueless owner trying to sell seats week to week, does not work.   

On 11/23/2016 at 6:06 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let's be more specific......

Not drafting Derek Carr because we were "set at QB with Genough Smith" is epic fail.

Not trying to grab Aaron Rodgers because we were "set at QB with Chad Glassington" is a pretty good sized fail.

Not drafting Russell Wilson (even with your chief of Scouting jumping up and down on the table) because we were "set at QB with Mark Sanchez" is just funny.

Many scouts besides Bradway said if Wilson was at least 6'2 instead of 5'11 he would have been the 1st pick in the draft..

On 11/23/2016 at 6:06 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let's be more specific......

Not drafting Derek Carr because we were "set at QB with Genough Smith" is epic fail.

Not trying to grab Aaron Rodgers because we were "set at QB with Chad Glassington" is a pretty good sized fail.

Not drafting Russell Wilson (even with your chief of Scouting jumping up and down on the table) because we were "set at QB with Mark Sanchez" is just funny.

Somewhere between laughing and breaking things. 

So now that we have analytical proof we suck beyond measure at drafting a QB, is it possible to reverse engineer it to predict the year, decade, century or millennium we may finally get it right?. Want to know how many apology notes I should put in the time capsule Im tossing together for my future generations. 

On 11/23/2016 at 1:31 PM, bitonti said:

the problem with this logic is it assumes these players would be the same if they were Jets 

Tom Brady is a cheating cheater. He's not the same when you take away his cheating apparatus. 

let's be real we'd have run Matt Ryan out of this town years ago.  New Yorkers wouldn't stand for all those playoff losses. 

this

brett farvuh, the NFL's ultimate iron man, came here......and got hurt and proceeded to lose the division to the guy the jets cut to make room for him

On 11/23/2016 at 1:06 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Updated yesterday, and 4 are within the past 5 years:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Dak, Cousins, Carr and Wilson. Brady's pushing it but it counts.

And fun addendum, they also blew their shots to draft Ryan and Mariota because hooray for meaningless December wins during lost seasons. So at some point the Jets missed or blew their chance on 7 of the top 9.

Another bullspit post. Tell me bro where did you get your crystal ball? I could use one you see as the powerball is friggin huge tonight and I could use the cash. I'm not defending any draft choices here or any previous GM's or current GM's picks but come on. ALL draft picks are crap shoots and to say they missed out while true, is just having 20/20 hindsight. I understand this has been a tough season but posts like this one piss me off. Stop the bullspit friend we will all be better off.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

So now that we have analytical proof we suck beyond measure at drafting a QB, is it possible to reverse engineer it to predict the year, decade, century or millennium we may finally get it right?. Want to know how many apology notes I should put in the time capsule Im tossing together for my future generations. 

I would say somewhere between 17 and 20.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Another bullspit post. Tell me bro where did you get your crystal ball? I could use one you see as the powerball is friggin huge tonight and I could use the cash. I'm not defending any draft choices here or any previous GM's or current GM's picks but come on. ALL draft picks are crap shoots and to say they missed out while true, is just having 20/20 hindsight. I understand this has been a tough season but posts like this one piss me off. Stop the bullspit friend we will all be better off.

Brady - 30 teams passed on Brady, 29 of them did it 6 times and Brady's own team did it 5 times.

Rodgers - He was like the 24th pick in that draft.  More than 2/3 off the league passed on him though the Jets deserve to get bashed for that draft because they essentially used their 1st round pick on a friggin kicker and crappy one at that.

Wilson - Definitely the FO deserves to get the snot beaten out of them for this.  The Tebow trade was right after this and it was clear Elway wanted no part of Tebowmania no more.  This is a case of the owner meddling and it resulting in disaster.  To make matters worse instead we drafted a soft WR who never ran a full route tree in college.

Carr - us drafting bums like Petty and Hack last two drafts is basically a reaction to this.

Cousins - still think he's overrated and more a product of having a lot of good receivers.  Is he better than Fitz?  Sure, anyone is.  Is he worth $100 million and multiple first round picks like people are saying he is?  No.

Archived