Maccagnan once again sneaks in Wilkerson contract

UnitedWhofans

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What is your fascination with the 4/3? 

We just saw the Pats trade Jaime Collins for a 3. And their defense has struggled since.

My fascination is with the Jets. The 4/3 is what they have been playing this season due to the mismanagement of the team configuration. Any coach would have trouble with this lp sided, unbalanced team. A seasoned GM would not just trade, draft and sign players who fit the team.

Since that has compounded the trouble this season, many offseason moves will have to be made to right the ship.

i could care less about what the NEP do.

actually if our gm was a genius he would have traded him when the market was hot for him-now everybody sees he is  a guy that plays with half effort and is a malcontent that skips meetings all of the time

our genius gm has drafted only one good player in williams and made one good fa move in bmarsh

the fitz contract was terrible-give a jaq a raise of 9 million when NOBODY else wanted him at 3 million

gave a washed up revis a monster deal

gave mo a deal when he should have never knowing he was a malcontent

signed a broken left tacklet

this genius wishes he was half the gm tanny was and tanny set back the franchise about 5 years with his spending but at least we a playoff team twice

20 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sign 2 free agents early

1-  Mike Gennon- Glennon/Petty/Hack fight it out.

2- Jamie Collins- completely revamps the LB core, Jenkins-Collins-Lee

Cut Revis-Harris-Mangold-Clady-Breno-Fitz-Breno-Gilchrist- saves 67.5 million dollars on the cap which will rise).

Trade Sheldon Richardson (hopefully a 2, but maybe a high 3 depending on suitors)

Draft Jabril Peppers & imagine the speed at the second level for the Jets defense! Lee--Collins-Peppers. 

Draft BPA at CB/Oline the rest of the way. Maybe Khiry Robinson actually gets healthy this offseason?

With only big free agent signing being  Glennon & Collins Jets would probably be patient & let free agency settle down & still have a ton of money available to go discount shopping for fill in. 

I don't think we can fill all holes in 2017 but we'd be assembling a damn good young defense & bringing along a young Quarterback throwing to a talented group of receivers. Jets are not as far off of playoffs if just 1 young QB emerges.

i like the collins pick up.  not so much on glennon but maybe if petty or hack just won't or can't be ready.  the cuts are fine.  restructure wilk or trade.  he may be beeter once richardson is traded.  trade pryor. restructure or trade skrine.  re-sign winters. draft corners, lb's and oline.  maybe draft a qb.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So just to be clear, you still weren't sure about Geno Smith after 4 years.

But you're 100% sure about Mac as a GM after 1 1/12 season with a Head Coach he didn't hire.

Ok.

2 seasons of on and off the field issues, questionable draft picks, not dealing with a failing head coach or staff,re-signing worst QB in the the NFL. 

Executive of year awards dont win football games and put teams in the playoffs. 

If he fires Bowles at the end of this season then he is moving this organization forward and should stay if he sticks with Bowles he is part of the problems and not the solution. 

11 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Wilkerson comes back next season and plays like his old self again, which is very possible and probably likely, nobody is going to want to opt out of Wilkerson's contract.

What makes you think Mo will come close to playing like he did last year? Why hasn't he done it this year? I know he got injured last season, but that is an excuse for lackadaisical play. 

If these types of contract flaws are normal for every GM, then I think its fair to say that my expectations for GM have been severely lowered because of the two men preceding him.

You read the stat. Since 2008, the Jets have drafted 59 players. Combined 2 Pro Bowls. 

I can very easily say that Maccagan has drafted 2 of the top 5 Jets 1st round picks in that span. AND HE ONLY HAS HAD TWO DRAFTS!

Lee (in a small sample size) is, IMO better than Coples, Gholston, Milliner, Wilson, Greene, even Pryor when he was a rookie. 

This is why I laud Maccagnan. Because:

1. He gets draft picks back in trades, something that Tanny never did and pissed me off

2. His contract structures don't allow for the future to be too much affected. And as a Yankees fan, I know how that can work, even in a sport with no cap.

3. He has a background in scouting

4. His draft picks have been okay. If the most egregious mistake you can say about his drafting is that he reached for a QB, then he is definitely not bad

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Wilkerson comes back next season and plays like his old self again, which is very possible and probably likely, nobody is going to want to opt out of Wilkerson's contract.

I didn't want him for that price, I don't want him now for that price, and if he plays better in 2017 I still will not want him for that price.  He is redundant and he was a dumb signing.  His behavior now makes all this all the more bitter.    

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If these types of contract flaws are normal for every GM, then I think its fair to say that my expectations for GM have been severely lowered because of the two men preceding him.

You read the stat. Since 2008, the Jets have drafted 59 players. Combined 2 Pro Bowls. 

I can very easily say that Maccagan has drafted 2 of the top 5 Jets 1st round picks in that span. AND HE ONLY HAS HAD TWO DRAFTS!

Lee (in a small sample size) is, IMO better than Coples, Gholston, Milliner, Wilson, Greene, even Pryor when he was a rookie. 

This is why I laud Maccagnan. Because:

1. He gets draft picks back in trades, something that Tanny never did and pissed me off

2. His contract structures don't allow for the future to be too much affected. And as a Yankees fan, I know how that can work, even in a sport with no cap.

3. He has a background in scouting

4. His draft picks have been okay. If the most egregious mistake you can say about his drafting is that he reached for a QB, then he is definitely not bad

yeah, i don't see what the beef is?  last season he spent a bunch of money that would've just been gathering dust and brought the team some respectiblity.  this season? well there's still time to make it respectable even if the ultimate goal of playoffs isn't achieved.  and if either petty or hack pan out then he'll be hailed as a savior.  about the only thing he could've done different is to not sign fitz.  no telling what their record would be with geno.  maybe 5-5.  regardless it's up to bowles to assemble all of the pieces on the field and make them into a team.  and mac stepped right in and addressed many of the problems idzik left.

I'm not disgusted with Mac just yet. He has made some very solid moves along with some not so great ones. My biggest problem with him are Revis, Will, and Fitz, and frankly he had a lot of pressure to do all 3 deals.

As for Wilk, someday GM's will learn that big DLineman are just rarely ever worth the 2nd big contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Wilk situation puzzles me he is a dominant DL in this league paid up with Williams and Sheldon they should be unstoppable.  

Something tells me theres more to this story behind the scenes. 

If Bowles is cowering to offensive players demands in Fitzpatrick maybe the defensive guys dont like him for it. 

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mo Wilk situation puzzles me he is a dominant DL in this league paid up with Williams and Sheldon they should be unstoppable.  

Something tells me theres more to this story behind the scenes. 

If Bowles is cowering to offensive players demands in Fitzpatrick maybe the defensive guys dont like him for it. 

they are not pass rushers, none of them.  40 years ago the Jets defense would be great with them - but it's a passing league...Now we have a team that can't rush the passer...

3 first round picks - playing the same position..none of which can put consistent pressure on a QB.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:02 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Apparently the Jets can get out of Wilkerson's contract after next year.

His 2018 base salary is not fully guaranteed. They would have to eat 9m but they would create 11m in cap space.

Once again, this man has shown to be a genius at the way he structures contracts. 

Most of his contracts seem to have some sort of out clause so that they are not long term mistakes.

Just brilliant.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/grading_mike_maccagnans_2016_jets_signings_trades.html#7

The "brilliant" thing to do would have been to trade him as he walked throught the door.  And to keep trying to trade him.  Failing that, the next best thing to do would have been to let him walk.  The least "brilliant" thing to do was to re-sign him.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

they are not pass rushers, none of them.  40 years ago the Jets defense would be great with them - but it's a passing league...Now we have a team that can't rush the passer...

3 first round picks - playing the same position..none of which can put consistent pressure on a QB.

Williams will probably get double digit sacks this year.

On November 25, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Shadetree said:

Jesus Christ are we talking about cutting Mo now?

just get a goddamn LB corp to help the goddamn defensive line. Giddammmut!!!! I can't even text my fingers ate so angry!!!

goddamn..this is the worst year I can remember in ages. 

It was a dumb contract to begin with if we have a chance to get out of it you take it and run

Archived