Falcons new stadium...cheating, or not?

AFJF

Meant to ask this a few weeks ago out of sheer curiosity.  I heard the new stadium in Atlanta being discussed on Sirius and they've apparently structured the roof in such a way that the majority of the crowd noise is funneled toward the opponent's sideline, making it "ten times louder for the visiting team" according to the reporter being interviewed.

Home field advantage is one thing, but how do you fell about creating a stadium that means both teams are essentially playing in different conditions?  Especially for a team that was found to be funneling in artificial crowd noise a few years ago.

Thoughts?

50 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Meant to ask this a few weeks ago out of sheer curiosity.  I heard the new stadium in Atlanta being discussed on Sirius and they've apparently structured the roof in such a way that the majority of the crowd noise is funneled toward the opponent's sideline, making it "ten times louder for the visiting team" according to the reporter being interviewed.

Home field advantage is one thing, but how do you fell about creating a stadium that means both teams are essentially playing in different conditions?  Especially for a team that was found to be funneling in artificial crowd noise a few years ago.

Thoughts?

It's cheating, frankly, but it's league-sanctioned cheating, so yeah.

Don't expect much thought out response to this, too much bitter hate right now for that.  

Its not "Cheating". Its a home field advantage. Is Denver cheating? Should they be made to build their stadium on the plains at Sea Level?

Seattle esentially did the same thing, they built their stadium as an accoustic echo chamber. The NFL MARKETS the whole "12th Man" crap. But it was smart.

The Jets? They moved into a sterile metal box that they share with their big brother. For a BILLION DOLLARS......lol

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

It's definitely cheating. Unless the Jets were doing it, then it's just savvy.

jets fans would accuse the team of trying too hard and out thinking themselves. Jets fan wouldn't cheer out of principle. We're too smart to do something the teams asks us to do. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think MetLife is a better sample of cheating because it makes the opponent believe they're playing the Giants in a generic prison yard for eight weeks of the year. Very disorienting. 

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

MetLife Stadium is so bland. It pains me when I see some of these new stadiums built. The Jets/Giants really laid an egg here. 

The Jets should be in New York... you know, where they belong.

The opportunity was there to build a mecca stadium the best in the NFL 

6 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

MetLife Stadium is so bland. It pains me when I see some of these new stadiums built. The Jets/Giants really laid an egg here. 

The Jets should be in New York... you know, where they belong.

The Jets will always be a Suffolk County team. There is perhaps no franchise that is more Suffolk County than the NY Jets.

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Weird. Building a home field with a home field advantage.....maybe the Jets should have done that?

They did.  They left the roof off.

As more and more teams go to domes, open stadiums will probably be the biggest home field advantage.  Especially in Dec and Jan.

Now we just have to figure out how to play meaningful home games in Dec and Jan.

the only reference I found to this was the vikings new stadium, and it says it funnels visitor fans noise to the visitor side of the field.....but.....

this isn't college where the visiting fans have an actual section, so I don't know how this would work tbh

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

the only reference I found to this was the vikings new stadium, and it says it funnels visitor fans noise to the visitor side of the field.....but.....

this isn't college where the visiting fans have an actual section, so I don't know how this would work tbh

Could be.  I heard it a few weeks ago in a conversation about new stadiums.

Main question is about the advantage more so than location.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Could be.  I heard it a few weeks ago in a conversation about new stadiums.

Main question is about the advantage more so than location.

what I saw was the roof has a feature to melt snow and ice that that inadvertently bounces noise around. I read its not going to be a good place to see a concert because of it and local docs are recommending ear protection to go to a game

oops, lol

I don't think it will be an issue for football games

That Westside Jet stadium was a thing of beauty. Would have certainly given the Jets a higher profile. Don't blame Woody for the current air conditioner they are playing in, blame unions. Look what you get when you have to hire union workers & pay them exorbitant dollars. 1.2 billion in NJ builds you a piece of crap that looks like a giant window air conditioner. 1.2 billion in Texas builds you the most beautiful stadium in the NFL. Northeast politics & corruption folks. It's why people don't retire in the Northeast, after working their whole lives there they take their money & run.

Archived