Is it finally ok to bench the scrub Fitpatrick?

drdetroit

2 hours ago, August said:

Call it what you want. Point is he thought the Jets offer wasn't good enough so held out for more money. Revis and Wilkerson deserve the flack they get this year but Fitzpatrick plays the most important position so naturally he gets more flack. 

They all suck and are extremely overpaid and overrated.

Fitz = Third-World Version of Jay Fiedler

Wilkerson = Thief

Revis = Old Thief

Fitz is gone next year.  Wilk and Revis both hopefully the year after that.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm sure when you go for a job you just take below market value and don't ask for a raise after performing well the year before. Football players have a short shelf life. They need to get what they can while they can. I have no qualms with Fitz trying to do the best for himself and his family. 

I hope Fitz enjoys the $13 million because that's his friggin nest egg there's a possibility he never plays in the NFL ever again after the embarassment he laid this season.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm sure when you go for a job you just take below market value and don't ask for a raise after performing well the year before. Football players have a short shelf life. They need to get what they can while they can. I have no qualms with Fitz trying to do the best for himself and his family. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that since he thought he should be paid more then my expectations for him has changed and he hasn't delivered. 

And that's exactly what Fitzpatrick did yesterday.
He scored what should have been the game winning touchdown midway through the 4th quarter and then our supposed-to-be Top 3 defense let the Patriots march up and down the field and score 10 points.  No big play.  No sack.  No turnovers.  Just pulled their typical disappearing act.
SAR I

Completely accurate.

Our vastly overrated defense is the problem. Fitz played well enough to win and had the lead in the 4th

Despite a DL that can't get to a QB, gives him 7 seconds in the pocket a LB group that is slower than molasses and DBs that with the exception of #20 can't cover or tackle

Good QB's put the game out of reach good QB's score points in the red zone good QB's lead their team to wins good QB's dont turn the ball over. 
Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a good QB no other team in the NFL wanted any part of him but the Jets....and here we are today discussing how bad he is..

If only your guy Geno was still available

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I hope Fitz enjoys the $13 million because that's his friggin nest egg there's a possibility he never plays in the NFL ever again after the embarassment he laid this season.

It's 12 million. And he'll get another job if he wants it. Don't be naive. 

5 hours ago, August said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is that since he thought he should be paid more then my expectations for him has changed and he hasn't delivered. 

Well that's on you for expecting for from an average journeyman. Control your expectations better. 

Jets fans should hold onto their hats in terms of where the QB position goes in 2017.

They need someone experienced.

I can see the 4 QB program being long term.

They could end up drafting another QB, potentially 1,2 or 3 round.

Petty could be the odd man out, which would be a shame if he never gets a chance in more than one game.

The Jets will need a veteran stop gap.  It could easily be Fitzpatrick again, or Geno for that matter, but it should be someone who is signed by March.  That person needs to be working out and playing in the OTAs.  I continue to believe that Fitzpatrick would be better this year if he trained harder in the off season.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It's 12 million. And he'll get another job if he wants it. Don't be naive. 

Well that's on you for expecting for from an average journeyman. Control your expectations better. 

I don't care whether he gets another job or not. 

So NOW he's an average journeyman? But last season and all through the offseason he was a "good" quarterback. We "needed" him. Interesting. 

Just now, August said:

I don't care whether he gets another job or not. 

So NOW he's an average journeyman? But last season and all through the offseason he was a "good" quarterback. We "needed" him. Interesting. 

Please do some reading comprehension. That first part of my reply was to someone else. 

He's always been an average journeyman. He played mostly well last season. The Jets decided they did need him, which considering the alternatives was probably still the best laid plan. 

8 hours ago, drdetroit said:

If he keeps punching out kids like theater tickets his azz is in trouble.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Please do some reading comprehension. That first part of my reply was to someone else. 

He's always been an average journeyman. He played mostly well last season. The Jets decided they did need him, which considering the alternatives was probably still the best laid plan. 

No when it came to the QB position the Jets have handled it as poorly as you can get. They should've moved on and signed Hoyer or Foles and called it a day. People with common sense knew what he was. It was his staunch fanbase in the media and fans that thought he was the new Jim Plunkett or Rich Gannon so the Jets needed to pay him. Now seeing him revert to form and many people are now backtracking, it's hilarious. 

Im not defending sh*tz or Jets management here but Hoyer has been no better and Foles is so good he is on the bench once again. I know the QB position has left a lot to be desired to say the least but this fascination with career back-ups is just getting to be too much. Glennon, Foles, Hoyer, and the usual cast of characters are 2ND STRINGERS. If they were capable of starting THEY WOULD BE. sh*tzpatrick is a 2ND STRINGER. A career one and look where that has gotten us. Sure He had flashes last year but when it comes to carrying the load for a full season much less a career he cannot do it. Few can. That's why the one's that can are franchise players and the one's that can't are back-ups. Or play for the Jets(sorry couldn't resist).

As hard as it is to hear you need to develop a guy for years. You need to keep the same system, the same coaches and some sense of continuity for it all too work. Its no secret why the same franchises are in it year after year because they get it. The Jets don't. Until they do We will be stuck with this mess.

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Im not defending sh*tz or Jets management here but Hoyer has been no better and Foles is so good he is on the bench once again. I know the QB position has left a lot to be desired to say the least but this fascination with career back-ups is just getting to be too much. Glennon, Foles, Hoyer, and the usual cast of characters are 2

We know what those guys are it was people who thought Fitzpatrick was more than what he was. People thought Fitzpatrick was clearly better than Hoyer when in reality he was no better than him. 

21 minutes ago, August said:

No when it came to the QB position the Jets have handled it as poorly as you can get. They should've moved on and signed Hoyer or Foles and called it a day. People with common sense knew what he was. It was his staunch fanbase in the media and fans that thought he was the new Jim Plunkett or Rich Gannon so the Jets needed to pay him. Now seeing him revert to form and many people are now backtracking, it's hilarious. 

This team is no better and actually worse with either of those QBs. What are either doing now? The Jets have mishandled drafting QBs but not Fitz. It was a good trade and a manageable contract. This hindsight stuff is ludicrous. 

1 minute ago, August said:

We know what those guys are it was people who thought Fitzpatrick was more than what he was. People thought Fitzpatrick was clearly better than Hoyer when in reality he was no better than him. 

That doesn't make any sense. They knew what sh*tzpatrick was. A guy who was familiar with their system who may or may not be able to carry the load. Its why they were reluctant to give him more than one season or pay him more than he was worth. Your saying they both suck so bring in a guy who need's to learn on the fly and develop with the offense would have been better or the same? Makes no sense dude. Neither player is the answer but bringing in Hoyer would have been worse than keeping sh*tz.

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

That doesn't make any sense. They knew what sh*tzpatrick was. A guy who was familiar with their system who may or may not be able to carry the load. Its why they were reluctant to give him more than one season or pay him more than he was worth. Your saying they both suck so bring in a guy who need's to learn on the fly and develop with the offense would have been better or the same? Makes no sense dude. Neither player is the answer but bringing in Hoyer would have been worse than keeping sh*tz.

Fitz:  12 million 

Hoyer:  2 million

They paid $hitz more than he was worth.  About 12 times more than he's worth.

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well said.

Now add in the various "Kicker missed an easy FG, we lose by 3" and "Kick Returner fumbled, costing us 7, we lose by under 7" games this year as well.  

Fitz is an easy (and appropriate) target,  He deserves all the criticism he gets.

But the reason we're 3-8 is our failure at Defense, which was supposed to be elite and our strongest unit, and the complete failure of Special Teams repeatedly and often this season, from rare missed kicks, to fumble after fumble, to kick returns to lose games, etc.

I completely agree.

I don't think Bowles will be fired at the end of the season, but I think there will be many changes to the defensive coaching staff. I won't be shocked if Bowles fires them all.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Many of us didn't need hindsight to know Fitz was horrible.  Been preaching it for over a year now.  :soapbox:

Looking on the bright side, he's played far worse than expected and that level of suckage puts the Jets  in more favorable draft position. Normally, they would suck but be picking 14th. Now, in the single digits one can hope.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Looking on the bright side, he's played far worse than expected and that level of suckage puts the Jets  in more favorable draft position. Normally, they would suck but be picking 14th. Now, in the single digits one can hope.

Nice, that is a plus.  If you're gonna suck, may as well suck on an epic level.  Makes me feel a little better.

Still doesn't make him worth 12mil, but a single digit draft spot should definitely be worth 3 or 4mil.  Add that to what his skill is actually worth and Fitz is easily worth 3.1 to 4.1mil.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

When the guy that knows the system is holding out, you move on, you don't chase him all through the offseason. He isn't good enough for that. 

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Fitz:  12 million 

Hoyer:  2 million

They paid $hitz more than he was worth.  About 12 times more than he's worth.

Do you have a link to an article or a tweet that says Hoyer would have come to the Jets, or the Jets even considered him, to be the starter at 2 million dollars? What Hoyer took to be a backup in Chicago has no bearing on what he'd ask for to play here, if it ever even was a consideration. 

12 million for a starting QB is below market value, by the way. The Jets actually made out on the deal. 

10 hours ago, phill1c said:

To be fair, there were a few who questioned the Fitzpatrick signing.

True enough. My comment was more focused on Hoyer than sh*tz. I don't believe Hoyer would even equal sh*tz production(if you could call it that) this season. Also its easy to say this guy would have come to this team and played better etc. That's what I was talkin' bout willis.:D

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

12 million for a starting QB is below market value, by the way. The Jets actually made out on the deal. 

Carl Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL how could you say the Jets made out in the deal,thats a ridiculous statement even coming from you. 

3 wins equates to $4 million a game, the Jets really made out. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Carl Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst starting QB in the NFL how could you say the Jets made out in the deal,thats a ridiculous statement even coming from you. 

3 wins equates to $4 million a game, the Jets really made out. 

2nd worst. And they made out on the deal because he didn't take the original deal which was for three years and possibly more guaranteed money. It could have been much worse. 

Archived