Is it finally ok to bench the scrub Fitpatrick?

drdetroit

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Read the post again - 2 minutes left , 2 To's on the board chance to win the game. What did Fitz do in those situations , win once against NE last year in an entire 12 year career. 

And sure the defense is an issue , but if you keep a team like the Pats to 22 points in today's NFL you should win more times than not .  The Coach and the QB are misfits in today's NFL , until the philosophy of the team ( trying to score more 20 pts per game) changes we would need the 86 Bears defense to be successful. 

And Fitz is not a big disappointment , he's simply , is just not good 

We know FItz isn't good.  And yet he is not the reason they lost yesterday.

Last year our defense created 30 turnovers.  This year we have 9.

Write a post about that.

SAR I

50 minutes ago, shevys said:

The reason he was strip sacked was because of his lousy pocket awareness. It matches his lousy arm.

Say what you want about Ryan Fitzpatrick's arm strength, reading ability, and passer rating, but his pocket awareness is among the tops in the league, both this season and last he saved countless drives by scrambling on third downs.

SAR I

Listening to Kay show w/Bowles on NOW on ESPN Radio.

Bowles VERY DEFENSIVE about WHO and WHEN certain players, besides the QBs, will play. He's basically arguing with the hosts who are implying his stubbornness. Bowles seems to be validating their implication. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Listening to Kay show w/Bowles on NOW on ESPN Radio.

Bowles VERY DEFENSIVE about WHO and WHEN certain players, besides the QBs, will play. He's basically arguing with the hosts who are implying his stubbornness. Bowles seems to be validating their implication. 

I feel like Bowles is the type of guy that would spill his beer on you and then get mad if you asked him to clean it up.

50 minutes ago, phill1c said:

You know, I'm tempted to root for another Fitzpatrick season, just so I can ignore the SAR I comments about why he doesn't suck while the Jets score their 17 points and lose to whatever good team they are playing against.

Nobody wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick here, myself included, not sure why you're painting me as some sort of apologist.

What I am is a realist.  And if you're being real, you know that Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing at or above his level, he's right where anyone with a brain would have him after an 11 year history as the NFL's biggest journeyman, he's not a disappointment.  He's just not good.  That's not rocket science.  I'm not sure why people saw his performance last year and his schedule last year and thought he was set up for a big year this year.  That's just outright dumb.

If you want to be angry about the 2016 Jets you get angry at the parts of the team that were supposed to be our bread and butter, the parts of the team built to succeed.  And that would be our defense.  Be it the DL that generates no sacks, the LB's who can't cover, the Secondary that is a sieve, or the coordinator who plays prevent every fourth quarter, they're the reason you're unhappy today.  Them, and Geno Smith who was supposed to be our franchise quarterback in his 4th year and couldn't beat out the worst QB in the NFL.

SAR I

"It's not Bryce's time to play."

"If Fitz gets hurt, I have the utmost confidence in Bryce. It's just not Bryce's time and Fitz is the starter right now."

"We want to win regardless. We want to compete and win games."

Hosts are trying to convince Bowles that wanting to win is understandable but may not be in BEST in the long-term interest of team, so WHY NOT play the young QBs? Bowles kept swatting them back.

47 minutes ago, shevys said:

Dude, give it a rest. You dug your heels in on this "journeyman" garbage, but to insist that we shouldn't expect a lead change midway through the 4th quarter (against the winningest QB in NFL history) is asinine at best. There's a reason why he's won more games than anyone else. What we should be able to expect from the $12 million dollar hayseed is some sustained drives against a not so great defense, more points on the board, and better situational awareness when trying to execute a 2 minute drill. 

And since we are a "supposed-to-be Top 3 defense" but in reality are not, it's not unreasonable to expect the QB to have a game winning drive to make up for the defense's deficiencies. But go ahead and keep it up with your one-trick pony act.

Did you realize that Matt Forte rushed 13 times for 27 yards yesterday or are you just trying to ignore it?

Did you realize that Mo Wilkerson was on the field for 65 plays yesterday and made exactly 1 tackle?

Did you realize that the Patriots went for 140 yards in 17 plays in 6 minutes in the 4th quarter to humiliate our defense?

Blame the quarterback!  The one who gave you a 4th quarter lead!  It's not anyone else's fault!

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nobody wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick here, myself included, not sure why you're painting me as some sort of apologist.

What I am is a realist.  And if you're being real, you know that Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing at or above his level, he's right where anyone with a brain would have him after an 11 year history as the NFL's biggest journeyman, he's not a disappointment.  He's just not good.  That's not rocket science.  I'm not sure why people saw his performance last year and his schedule last year and thought he was set up for a big year this year.  That's just outright dumb.

If you want to be angry about the 2016 Jets you get angry at the parts of the team that were supposed to be our bread and butter, the parts of the team built to succeed.  And that would be our defense.  Be it the DL that generates no sacks, the LB's who can't cover, the Secondary that is a sieve, or the coordinator who plays prevent every fourth quarter, they're the reason you're unhappy today.  Them, and Geno Smith who was supposed to be our franchise quarterback in his 4th year and couldn't beat out the worst QB in the NFL.

SAR I

If Bowles and Macc were John Elway and the Broncos, the Jets QBs this year would have been Geno, Petty and Hack, or perhaps Hoyer added in. 

The Jets would likely not be a playoff team and could be one or two wins ahead of now.  The Jets could have found a better use for $12mm.  Perhaps Wilkerson plays for the tag, and is basically hosed after the year he has had.  Or maybe he plays better because he is still trying for contract.

That was the mistake here, but if Fitz is healthy he likely does give the Jets the best chance to win.  

52 minutes ago, phill1c said:

The Jets, RYAN FITZPATRICK that is, have thrown more INTs than ANY other franchise in the NFL.

Can we move on?

Please...I'm begging you...

If you take away the KC game, Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown 7 interceptions in 9 games, quite respectable.

And in those 9 games, in 5 of them he didn't throw an interception at all.

Take away the CIN game, how many sacks do Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and David Harris have combined?  I forget.

How many interceptions do Darrelle Revis and Buster Skrine have combined?  I forget.

SAR I

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

SAR is correct on this one, the Qb is who most of us knew he was, a limited stop gap guy that will win you some games but needs plenty of help and if behind he'll cough up picks.

By far the bigger villains of this year is the defense as a whole, they have lost us as many games if not more than the Qbing.  Awful lazy vets, rookies making mistakes, a willy nilly scheme that puts players in the best position to fail.

Thank you.  It's amazing how many people think football is a one-man sport.

Fun fact:  Eli Manning has made the playoffs once in the last 8 years, Philip Rivers has made the playoffs once in the last 7 years, Drew Brees only once in the last 5 years.  A top tier quarterback guarantees nothing in this league.  Coaching, defense, and rushing mean a whole lot more.

SAR I

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL Jets Colts tickets on Craigslist $15 lower level.....

What you don't understand:

I go into each season budgeted to spend $5,500 for my four seats and parking.  When I don't attend games and make a few bucks back, it's a plus to my budget.  When the Jets suck it doesn't make a difference to me financially, the money was budgeted for and spent in April.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

"It's not Bryce's time to play."

I believe this is code for "Bryce Petty isn't good and we would have cut him in the preseason if Geno didn't get hurt".

I wish this wasn't true, but it's the logical explanation.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

- Vs cincy, offense drives to score go ahead fg in the 4th, Defense lets the bengals drive and win the game with 58 seconds left.

- Vs buffalo Offense scores 10 points in the 4th quarter, Defense lets them drive down to score in 2:45 giving them a shot at an in side kick.

- Vs Seattle Down by 4 going into the 4th quarter defense allows 10 points to put the game out of reach,

- Vs Pittsburgh Down by 1 point at half, D allows 14 points in the 4ht Q to put the game out of reach,.

- Vs Baltimore by by 2 at the half, offense scores 10 points in the 4th quarter to win.

- Vs Cleveland, Browns up by 20-7 at half offense scores 24 points in the 2nd half.

- Vs Miami, Offense scores 10 points in the 4th quarter to take the lead, specials immediately allows a ko return for a td.

- Vs Rams, Score 6 points with Petty

- Vs Pats, Offense scores go ahead td in the 4th quarter, defense allows 10 straight points for the loss.

Jets defense is tied for 2nd last in the league with generating a whopping 8 turnovers, only 1 ahead of Jacksonville.

Jets tied for 29th in sacks this after having a whopping 6 in the first game.

SAR is correct on this one, the Qb is who most of us knew he was, a limited stop gap guy that will win you some games but needs plenty of help and if behind he'll cough up picks.

By far the bigger villains of this year is the defense as a whole, they have lost us as many games if not more than the Qbing.  Awful lazy vets, rookies making mistakes, a willy nilly scheme that puts players in the best position to fail.

Well said.

Now add in the various "Kicker missed an easy FG, we lose by 3" and "Kick Returner fumbled, costing us 7, we lose by under 7" games this year as well.  

Fitz is an easy (and appropriate) target,  He deserves all the criticism he gets.

But the reason we're 3-8 is our failure at Defense, which was supposed to be elite and our strongest unit, and the complete failure of Special Teams repeatedly and often this season, from rare missed kicks, to fumble after fumble, to kick returns to lose games, etc.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But the reason we're 3-8 is our failure at Defense, which was supposed to be elite and our strongest unit, and the complete failure of Special Teams repeatedly and often this season, from rare missed kicks, to fumble after fumble, to kick returns to lose games, etc.

Is Kacy Rodgers the fall guy then? you KNOW Pepper Johnson won't be returning in '17.

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I believe this is code for "Bryce Petty isn't good and we would have cut him in the preseason if Geno didn't get hurt".

I wish this wasn't true, but it's the logical explanation.

SAR I

This doesn't make sense.  Geno wasn't hurt in preseason, Petty was.  Geno got hurt when they finally let him start a game and he couldn't finish a quarter before getting hurt. 

Its not worth trying to decipher the inner machinations of the enigma known as Todd Bowles.  Best to just let this story play out in a true M. Night Shymalanananana like twist.

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Is Kacy Rodgers the fall guy then? you KNOW Pepper Johnson won't be returning in '17.

If I had a say, the entire Coaching Staff would be "Fall guys".  Bowles, Chan and everyone on down.

Fitz, Skrine, Revis and Forte (useless as a bag of rocks yesterday) would all also be let go.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well said.

Now add in the various "Kicker missed an easy FG, we lose by 3" and "Kick Returner fumbled, costing us 7, we lose by under 7" games this year as well.  

Fitz is an easy (and appropriate) target,  He deserves all the criticism he gets.

This ^

This seasons postmortem will really be eye opening for a lot of people that have blinders on for just Pickstragics shortcomings.  Team caught the loser bug week 1 and it became very contagious in all phases of the organization.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Say what you want about Ryan Fitzpatrick's arm strength, reading ability, and passer rating, but his pocket awareness is among the tops in the league, both this season and last he saved countless drives by scrambling on third downs.

SAR I

Disagree.

That being said, I would never take credit away from him for his willingness to lay it all out on the field, take the big hit, whatever. I don't question his guts or his toughness...it's his arm strength, decision making and ability to find the open receiver that's a problem. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Care to shed some light on what you actual point is then?

Sar I said that Fitzpatrick doesn't need to do more to help us win because he's an average at best quarterback and it's up to everybody else around him to carry most of the slack. I said that Fitzpatrick lost the benefit of the doubt when he held out for more money because he wanted to be paid like most of the other starting quarterbacks in the league. So since he thought he was good then he needs to show it. 

1 hour ago, August said:

Sar I said that Fitzpatrick doesn't need to do more to help us win because he's an average at best quarterback and it's up to everybody else around him to carry most of the slack. I said that Fitzpatrick lost the benefit of the doubt when he held out for more money because he wanted to be paid like most of the other starting quarterbacks in the league. So since he thought he was good then he needs to show it. 

Again, he didn't hold out. He tried to get the best deal possible. He's the 24th highest paid QB. This is a different discussion if he was making an ungodly sum but he's not. That's why Revis and Mo are under such spotlights. Massive, bloated contacts and massive underperforming. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Again, he didn't hold out. He tried to get the best deal possible. He's the 24th highest paid QB. This is a different discussion if he was making an ungodly sum but he's not. That's why Revis and Mo are under such spotlights. Massive, bloated contacts and massive underperforming. 

Carl he held the Jets hostage I wish Macc would have been smart enough to walk away and move on. He's the 32nd ranked QB in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Carl he held the Jets hostage I wish Macc would have been smart enough to walk away and move on. He's the 32nd ranked QB in the NFL. 

He's actually tied with Osweiler now. He didn't hold the Jets hostage. The Jets allowed themselves to be held hostage. They made the decision to not only name him the starting QB but also make no other viable alternative plans at the position. The Jets management put them in this position, not Fitz. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

He's actually tied with Osweiler now. He didn't hold the Jets hostage. The Jets allowed themselves to be held hostage. They made the decision to not only name him the starting QB but also make no other viable alternative plans at the position. The Jets management put them in this position, not Fitz. 

So Carl second post tonight where you are implying Macc is a moron. 

29 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Call it what you want. Point is he thought the Jets offer wasn't good enough so held out for more money. Revis and Wilkerson deserve the flack they get this year but Fitzpatrick plays the most important position so naturally he gets more flack. 

8 minutes ago, August said:

Call it what you want. Point is he thought the Jets offer wasn't good enough so held out for more money. Revis and Wilkerson deserve the flack they get this year but Fitzpatrick plays the most important position so naturally he gets more flack. 

I'm sure when you go for a job you just take below market value and don't ask for a raise after performing well the year before. Football players have a short shelf life. They need to get what they can while they can. I have no qualms with Fitz trying to do the best for himself and his family. 

Archived