My Offseason Plan

varjet

I have posted similar threads, but I hope to tie it all together.  The Jets need to focus on structure, coaching and staff, offense and defense, and then the draft.

• Structure-Woody needs to put someone between him and MacC and Todd that can moderate and manage.  Either that or put MacC on top of Bowles, but I don't know whether that works.  Woody is not directing football operations.
  • Coaching-Generally, I think when you hire a coach and GM, it is like a marriage.  You have to give it a credible minimum period of time, or no one else will work for you, which is 3 years.   You have to support them.  But if the girl of your dreams shows up and your marriage is looking bad, you bolt.  That is where the Jets are with Bowles (and what Brady did with Giselle)  They cannot fire him for another first time coach.  If a coach appears that has actually led teams to winning records, and that person indicates that he wants the Jets job, you give it to him and pay Todd and his band of clowns off.  But if that person (McCarthy, maybe McDaniels, and the usual Gruden and Cowher) does not appear, for a variety of good reasons the Jets need to bolster their coaching staff to provide Bowles a greater chance of success.  The Jets need more and better junior coaches.  Kacy Rodgers is not doing Bowles any favors, and Gailey has checked out-how can you not design an offense that uses a tight end?   The Jets should be a beacon of light to the coaching world and attract young, innovative talent.  They need an offseason QB program and the best strength program in the NFL.  
  • Offense-This is complicated, but as the Jets rebuild, offense should be number 1 priority.  They should try and sign Cousins and Glennon (not both).  If Cousins, its a franchise like number, but make a 3 year commitment and cut Marshall to pay for it.  Maybe Decker too.  If Glennon, may be only Decker.  Otherwise, its Hoyer or Hill and Petty and Hack.  The Jets should sign Winters (or another guard), and should make the top offer for Schrader to play LT.   There is no need for Breno and Clady, and Mangold should agree to a contract that pays him for game played and minimum PFF score.  Let the guys we have battle it out for RT, subject to the draft.  I think the Raiders/Cowboys model of building a top OL and then having that help everything else is the best one, particularly for a team in NY.  
  • Defense-I would stick with the youth, try and move SR on (great player, but too much baggage), and cut all veterans not worth their comp-that is Revis, Harris, Gilcrist.  I support a mid-level FA-S or a top-FA corner to fill the holes that have been left.  Draft picks, FAs, UDFAs and other cannot play worse than this bunch.   Put the word out that the Jets are giving players a chance to build a new and exciting defense.  
  • Draft-the Jets are rebuilding, not restocking or hole-filling.  They should draft the best available player, based on their analysis.    I can see any of the top players working out, but I am not a scout.  Peppers?  Pryor will not be long.  Robinson?  Can start at RT.   Corners?  Can't have enough.   Fournette-if best player, take him, and he is the focus in year 3.  A top 5 pick is a scary place for an uncertain QB, but by the time draft time rolls around, the QBs will be the big story.   For teams like the Jets who need a QB and stink, there will always be pressure to pick one.  The Browns blew it last year by trading down.  For players who are good athletes and smart, I think success comes down to coaching, other players and scheme rather than talent. 

The Jets need a general rebuild.  Hopefully Woody got that message today-see another thread.

36 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

So you want to sign a QB but cut 2 playmakers in Decker and Marshall so that he has no one to throw to outside of Q?

Makes sense.

If the Jets paid Cousins 20mm, then he should be able to work with Devin Smith, Enunwa and the other receivers and TE.  Otherwise there is no money for defense and OL.  

43 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Bowles needs to go and take your your offensive coordinator with you. With 5:35 in the game and on 1st down on your 32 yard line you run the ball and gain 6 yards. So the next play you are looking for a downfield pass. You should be fired right there. 

Stop, whenever a play doesn't work some coach doesn't need to be fired.  The OC had a really good day today.  

There is no world in which we have more talent on the team next year than this year.  We have a bad salary cap problem, an aging team and a lot of players that are going to need to be cut and likely with significantly worse replacement players.  

All these instant retool plans don't make much sense, especially the ones that require older expensive FAs.

The only exception is if the analysts like one of the young FA qbs in which case you jump.  But let's be real here.  Our Oline is going to be so terrible next year that it's hard to see how any new qb survives our 2-3 year rebuild process.  So we're probably looking at yet another Fitz like stopgap player until we have someone in the draft that we like, or until we have some talent and youth in the Oline.

We aren't even at the worst stages yet, there is a lot of pain to come before there is even a possibility of light

7 hours ago, Hael said:

There is no world in which we have more talent on the team next year than this year.  We have a bad salary cap problem, an aging team and a lot of players that are going to need to be cut and likely with significantly worse replacement players.  

All these instant retool plans don't make much sense, especially the ones that require older expensive FAs.

The only exception is if the analysts like one of the young FA qbs in which case you jump.  But let's be real here.  Our Oline is going to be so terrible next year that it's hard to see how any new qb survives our 2-3 year rebuild process.  So we're probably looking at yet another Fitz like stopgap player until we have someone in the draft that we like, or until we have some talent and youth in the Oline.

We aren't even at the worst stages yet, there is a lot of pain to come before there is even a possibility of light

I beg to differ. You could cut Revis and Mangold and Calvin Pryor, replace them with 3  broke legged dogs and improve the team . The only reason I didn't put Wilkerson in that list is because I think he's already playing on 1 leg .

We have a glaring horrible issue on this team that I'm not sure the Jets brain trust(s) are aware of that will sink this team and make it very tough to actually plan and build properly.

The disconnect between what the coach seems to want to do with what the Gm is doing is a massive problem.  As far as defense goes the GM has no clue as to who he should be drafting because the coach has no idea of what scheme he wants to run.  (Or as the coach would put it, we run a hybrid system some times 3/4 sometimes 4/3).

Why do we wanna cut WRs again? I mean, isn't that the reason Sanchez regressed to the point where he did, besides others? We never seem to learn do we? Do you really think Q would be as good as your #1? Marshall and Decker aren't making as much. About $16 mil between the two starting WRs. Not a lot. You keep em for the next QB. 

12 hours ago, varjet said:

I have posted similar threads, but I hope to tie it all together.  The Jets need to focus on structure, coaching and staff, offense and defense, and then the draft.

• Structure-Woody needs to put someone between him and MacC and Todd that can moderate and manage.  Either that or put MacC on top of Bowles, but I don't know whether that works.  Woody is not directing football operations.
  • Coaching-Generally, I think when you hire a coach and GM, it is like a marriage.  You have to give it a credible minimum period of time, or no one else will work for you, which is 3 years.   You have to support them.  But if the girl of your dreams shows up and your marriage is looking bad, you bolt.  That is where the Jets are with Bowles (and what Brady did with Giselle)  They cannot fire him for another first time coach.  If a coach appears that has actually led teams to winning records, and that person indicates that he wants the Jets job, you give it to him and pay Todd and his band of clowns off.  But if that person (McCarthy, maybe McDaniels, and the usual Gruden and Cowher) does not appear, for a variety of good reasons the Jets need to bolster their coaching staff to provide Bowles a greater chance of success.  The Jets need more and better junior coaches.  Kacy Rodgers is not doing Bowles any favors, and Gailey has checked out-how can you not design an offense that uses a tight end?   The Jets should be a beacon of light to the coaching world and attract young, innovative talent.  They need an offseason QB program and the best strength program in the NFL.  
  • Offense-This is complicated, but as the Jets rebuild, offense should be number 1 priority.  They should try and sign Cousins and Glennon (not both).  If Cousins, its a franchise like number, but make a 3 year commitment and cut Marshall to pay for it.  Maybe Decker too.  If Glennon, may be only Decker.  Otherwise, its Hoyer or Hill and Petty and Hack.  The Jets should sign Winters (or another guard), and should make the top offer for Schrader to play LT.   There is no need for Breno and Clady, and Mangold should agree to a contract that pays him for game played and minimum PFF score.  Let the guys we have battle it out for RT, subject to the draft.  I think the Raiders/Cowboys model of building a top OL and then having that help everything else is the best one, particularly for a team in NY.  
  • Defense-I would stick with the youth, try and move SR on (great player, but too much baggage), and cut all veterans not worth their comp-that is Revis, Harris, Gilcrist.  I support a mid-level FA-S or a top-FA corner to fill the holes that have been left.  Draft picks, FAs, UDFAs and other cannot play worse than this bunch.   Put the word out that the Jets are giving players a chance to build a new and exciting defense.  
  • Draft-the Jets are rebuilding, not restocking or hole-filling.  They should draft the best available player, based on their analysis.    I can see any of the top players working out, but I am not a scout.  Peppers?  Pryor will not be long.  Robinson?  Can start at RT.   Corners?  Can't have enough.   Fournette-if best player, take him, and he is the focus in year 3.  A top 5 pick is a scary place for an uncertain QB, but by the time draft time rolls around, the QBs will be the big story.   For teams like the Jets who need a QB and stink, there will always be pressure to pick one.  The Browns blew it last year by trading down.  For players who are good athletes and smart, I think success comes down to coaching, other players and scheme rather than talent. 

The Jets need a general rebuild.  Hopefully Woody got that message today-see another thread.

point 1 okay

point 2 you can bring in knute rockne and this team as structured would still have trouble.  the main thing is to assess if bowles still has the ear of the team.  if he does then he can change and get better, more accountable coaches.

point 3 it makes no sense to cut marshall and/or decker to sign a qb like cousins.  the combination of marshall, decker, and enunwa is a pretty darn good draw for a qb who wants to win. i would get enunwa inked and not wait for his rookie contract to expire.  draft a good right tackle and get some oline depth.  cut clady and mangold. try to keep asj.

point 4 trade richardson, restructure harris, cut gilchrist and revis.  try to trade pryor. try to trade wilk. it's hard to gage his desire or if he's injured but if he's pulling a hainsworth he should be moved.

point 5 draft oline, cb, qb.  fill out depth with udfa and free agents.

10 hours ago, Hael said:

This is simply not true. I've put the numbers out there before, Jets will have 67.5 million saved for cap use by not resigning Fitz or Clady, and cutting Revis, Harris, Gilchrist, Mangold, Breno. Not one player cut is irreplaceable & we can easily find "upgrades" for most just finding guys that actually play hard & fast.

Revis is done! Not only can't he cover, he doesn't want to stick his head in there & tackle either. We could sign Gilmore from Buffalo for way less & have a stronger starter & draft another CB, and continue developing Burris, plus I've been impressed with Daryl Roberts. Harris is also SHOT, plus he's a dinosaur in today's pass happy NFL. Gilchrist? Don't get me started on him (dude is soft as Charmin, when was he ever considered good when he played for the Chargers?) Looks like where the Jets are drafting a guy like Jabril Peppers might be available, hmm, Peppers or Gilchrist? Next.

Mangold? Just go with Wesley Johnson or draft one of we can trade Richardson for a 3rd, if Mangold doesn't take a LOT LESS! (10 million for a f*cking center & we wonder why we have no depth & suck). Clady & Breno? Good riddance! Get a tackle in free agency & draft Oline in 2017.

Here's the best news ever regarding this offseason. There are not a lot of BIG NAME free agents. Why is that good for the Jets? Because Macc won't get itchy to make a headline splash that Woody loves. That doesn't mean there aren't some very good players available (Maybe instead of resigning Winters, we go after a better guards like Zeitler or Leary both better than Winters). Replacing the group above is not that hard because none of them are any good anymore. The only leader your losing is Harris. Oh, and Folk can take a hike too, we could use that 5 million for depth somewhere else.

Our WR core in 2017 is set. Now that we have 8 losses I'd be SHOCKED if we don't see some changes. Time to find out about some of these youngsters. Look at how Butler came out of no where for the Pats. 

I know some of you are down on Macc but I'm very excited about going into the 2017 draft with very high picks in each round, a 21 year old QB in training, and a big wallet full of cash saved by cutting old undeserving dead wood.

Bowles deserves the chance to try & mold a young team into his vision. He may have to pick up some new coaches to save himself. I'm not a fan of his DC & Chan is old as dirt, (who's mentoring our QBs under Chan? Might be time to send Gailey out to pasture), he calls inside runs like he's still in Dallas & has their Super Bowl line with Emmitt Smith behind it.

Cutting Fitz, CLady, Revis, Harris, Gilchrist, Mangold and  Breno is a ton of talent man.  These are starters in this league, some of which are still elite (Clady, Mangold etc).  Even bargain veteran level starting quality replacement players are going to cost 5 million per year minimum, without even talking about the qb.  A basement level FA qb starter in the NFL costs (wait for it)... 12 million dollars.  These new starting scrubs are going to make us long for the day of aging Revis as a number 1, fans seem to have no idea just how bad this can get.

We'll have about 20 million left over, which leaves about enough room for a 10-15 million dollar FA signing.  Its hard to see how that signing makes up for the talent we just cut, as well as the aging of Decker/Marshall/Forte/whatever else we have on this old team.

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is simply not true. I've put the numbers out there before, Jets will have 67.5 million saved for cap use by not resigning Fitz or Clady, and cutting Revis, Harris, Gilchrist, Mangold, Breno. Not one player cut is irreplaceable & we can easily find "upgrades" for most just finding guys that actually play hard & fast.

Revis is done! Not only can't he cover, he doesn't want to stick his head in there & tackle either. We could sign Gilmore from Buffalo for way less & have a stronger starter & draft another CB, and continue developing Burris, plus I've been impressed with Daryl Roberts. Harris is also SHOT, plus he's a dinosaur in today's pass happy NFL. Gilchrist? Don't get me started on him (dude is soft as Charmin, when was he ever considered good when he played for the Chargers?) Looks like where the Jets are drafting a guy like Jabril Peppers might be available, hmm, Peppers or Gilchrist? Next.

Mangold? Just go with Wesley Johnson or draft one of we can trade Richardson for a 3rd, if Mangold doesn't take a LOT LESS! (10 million for a f*cking center & we wonder why we have no depth & suck). Clady & Breno? Good riddance! Get a tackle in free agency & draft Oline in 2017.

Here's the best news ever regarding this offseason. There are not a lot of BIG NAME free agents. Why is that good for the Jets? Because Macc won't get itchy to make a headline splash that Woody loves. That doesn't mean there aren't some very good players available (Maybe instead of resigning Winters, we go after a better guards like Zeitler or Leary both better than Winters). Replacing the group above is not that hard because none of them are any good anymore. The only leader your losing is Harris. Oh, and Folk can take a hike too, we could use that 5 million for depth somewhere else.

Our WR core in 2017 is set. Now that we have 8 losses I'd be SHOCKED if we don't see some changes. Time to find out about some of these youngsters. Look at how Butler came out of no where for the Pats. 

I know some of you are down on Macc but I'm very excited about going into the 2017 draft with very high picks in each round, a 21 year old QB in training, and a big wallet full of cash saved by cutting old undeserving dead wood.

Bowles deserves the chance to try & mold a young team into his vision. He may have to pick up some new coaches to save himself. I'm not a fan of his DC & Chan is old as dirt, (who's mentoring our QBs under Chan? Might be time to send Gailey out to pasture), he calls inside runs like he's still in Dallas & has their Super Bowl line with Emmitt Smith behind it.

We're not cutting Harris

I don't think its a done deal we cut Revis

Mangold will restructure and take a couple mil pay cut - he'd be dumb not to

The rest of players you say are getting cut

13 hours ago, varjet said:

If the Jets paid Cousins 20mm, then he should be able to work with Devin Smith, Enunwa and the other receivers and TE.  Otherwise there is no money for defense and OL.  

Cousins is passing to Jordan Reed/Desean Jackson/Garcon and Crowder now. He isn't Tom Brady. If you give him crappy weapons he will look crappy. 

1. Macc (GM) above, and in control of, the Head Coach in the Structure.

2. Fire Bowles.  He's not the right guy.  If Bowles cannot put a competative defense on the field (and he hasn't this year) with all this talent and #1 picks, he is simply not the guy.

3. Hire an offensive-minded Head Coach.  Hire a quality D-Co to actually D-Co.  One with testicles and who will take risks, because Bowles, frankly, has none and takes none.  

4. Cut Fitzpatrick and Forte and Revis and Skrine.

5. Retain Mangold, Marshall, Decker.  Reneg. Mangold deal if possible.

6. Draft a QB, RB, and O-Linemen x 2-3.  Draft a CB.

7. Sign BAP CB and another CB.  Sign a TE.  Sign a RB.

8. Put in place a modern NFL style Offense.  Not a "lets play more D, maybe we can win by 1 or 3" style Offense.

9. Do NOT sign a "veteran journeyman" or any other teams castoff never-was.  Petty, Hack, Draftpick.  Best player plays.  If and when he fails, next man up.  Rinse and Repeat till potential Franchise QB identified. Macc's future rests on picking a QB who makes it.

That would be a start I could support, but sadly I bet little of this will actually happen.  Same old Jets.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We're not cutting Harris

I don't think its a done deal we cut Revis

Mangold will restructure and take a couple mil pay cut - he'd be dumb not to

The rest of players you say are getting cut

Why would you think that? It clears 6.5 million without any dead cap and his game doesn't translate well to today's NFL. He's poor in coverage and while he is still okay versus the run, his best days are behind him. Harris is one of the easier cuts financially, and they already drafted his replacement.

My plan:

1. Address the OT position: draft and/or sign TWO athletic, durable OTs (easier said than done, i'm sure).

2. Get an edge rusher (don't care how).

3. DO NOT SIGN Fitzpatrick. I don't care if you go into the season the Waterboy as starter, I can't stand watching him play QB.

4. Sign a FS. We need plays out of this position; it covers up for diminished CB play of Revis.

5. Obtain a receiving TE.

59 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why would you think that? It clears 6.5 million without any dead cap and his game doesn't translate well to today's NFL. He's poor in coverage and while he is still okay versus the run, his best days are behind him. Harris is one of the easier cuts financially, and they already drafted his replacement.

Did you see what happened in the Arizona game when he didn't play?  Our run defense is an abomination without him

Archived