Is Avery Gennesy our next left tackle?

drdetroit

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

Nice find! I had not heard about him, but his tape looks pretty good. He looks decent against Carl Lawson (I only watched the first half). 

I really like his mobility and intensity.  Is he a great LT prospect?  No but I do think he is good.

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I really like his mobility and intensity.  Is he a great LT prospect?  No but I do think he is good.

I'll settle for good. I don't know if you have looked at the upcoming free agent class or draft class, but it is slim pickings at OT. I don't want to go into next season with Ben Ijalana starting at LT (although I could live with him at RT). 

Cam Robinson appears to be the top OT prospect. Things could certainly change by draft day. But yes, this is not a great year for top tier OT talent. This may not be the worst thing for the Jets. Maybe they trade down and are still able to get Robinson, or someone on par with his talent who rises come draft day (McGlinchey? Ramczyk?). That would actually be an ideal scenario as it would give them plenty of ammo/flexibility to go after a CB early and still get a talented TE and/or RB and/or S in the draft. Personally, I'd like them to go after OT, CB, TE, S, RB- in that order. Obviously it depends heavily on who is available where and what draft picks the Jets end up with via trade down or trade up or player trade (Richardson?) or what have you.     

Regardless, I think the Jets will need to sign Ijalana or a FA like Kalil or both (assuming they release Clady). Not sure you can rely on Qvale and a rookie to start.  

As far as this kid from A&M, he IS a top 10 OT prospect (at least according to some) and he is expected to go somewhere in the 3rd round. But that can change- his stock could tumble or skyrocket. I've seem him play and he has a mean-streak, nastiness that I like. He does not appear to be an elite athlete at the position and I don't envision him as a plug and play prospect at the NFL level. But that does not mean he won;t develop into a starting OT. But if the Jets were to go after an OT early (Rd. 1 or Rd. 2), there are a number of prospects I would go after ahead of him.   

Ideally I would like the Jets to draft O-line early and often and find our QB of the future next year when there will be 3 or 4 prospects.

If Cam Robinson isn't supposed to go in top 5 where we will probably be drafting I would try to trade back a few spots and grab him as our LT for the next 10 years.

Than ideally I would like to grab our RT or Center of the future with our pick in the 2nd round. If theres a guy we really like going in the late 1st for the o-line i wouldnt mind packaging our 2nd and picks we got in trading down in the first to get the guy than.

I think it would be very smart of the jets to take a page out of the cowboys and Raiders playbook and start building a young good o-line for the next 10 years, we need to replace almost everyone on the line, especially both tackle positions and Mangold is getting old and wont be around much longer either.

Ideally we start re-building our o-line this draft and i think we all know we will probably be in the top 5 again next year and can take our future QB than. Hopefully we hit our picks with the o-line and after our new QB gets a year or two under his belt in the league Brady should also be just about on his way out.

On 11/29/2016 at 8:38 AM, maury77 said:

I'll settle for good. I don't know if you have looked at the upcoming free agent class or draft class, but it is slim pickings at OT. I don't want to go into next season with Ben Ijalana starting at LT (although I could live with him at RT). 

There are guys available in the draft.  I doubt Mac goes with Ijalana as the starting LT.

Archived