I love this HC

Tinstar

The Fans and the media have long dictated what happens within this franchise that I love . Every yr, they start they rants and before long, under severe pressure, a reaction dictates the short term future of this franchise . Enter Todd Bowles, a Bill Parcells disciple who runs his ship his way and decides his future base on his actions and not those of other .  2014 the Jets hire Todd Bowles, signs Fitzpatrick as a veteran backup and he immediately decides that Geno Smith was the starting QB of the NY Jets .The Fans and the media  are up in arms because a fair competition is not being held in their minds . Bowles doesn't care, but sticks to his guns and Smith goes into OTAs as the top dog . Shortly before the start of training camp, Smith is made unavailable due to a broken Jaw, and Fitzpatrick assumes the starting  job . Questioned as to what would happened upon Smith's return to action, the HC makes a statement that would declare to all who care to listen who he was . He said Smith was the starter and now  Fitzpatrick is the starter . He further stated that if the Team was winning, and the QB was playing at a high level he would not make a change for the sake of making a change . Not a direct quote, but something along those lines. Fitzpatrick goes out and has a record setting if not unspectacular season and is assigned the position of starting QB should the Jets and he come to a contract agreement and be resigned.

We have a HC with conviction and honor, a Man's man . Someone who knows what he wants and goes about obtaining it his way . If it cost him his job, then so be it, but I have the utmost respect for anyone who will not be swayed from a prepared path . Before you build a house, you must build a foundation. That foundation must be firm, and be able to withstand anything .  Can anyone here say that Todd Bowles hasn't been the same person from the day he became the HC . Now you can build your house and along the way, you will run into issues, but if given the chance, you can guarantee the house will be built.

If the foundation can be built strong, the same person should be able to orchestrate the building of the house .

I love this HC .

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The Fans and the media have long dictated what happens within this franchise that I love . Every yr, they start they rants and before long, under severe pressure, a reaction dictates the short term future of this franchise . Enter Todd Bowles, a Bill Parcells disciple who runs his ship his way and decides his future base on his actions and not those of other .  2014 the Jets hire Todd Bowles, signs Fitzpatrick as a veteran backup and he immediately decides that Geno Smith was the starting QB of the NY Jets .The Fans and the media  are up in arms because a fair competition is not being held in their minds . Bowles doesn't care, but sticks to his guns and Smith goes into OTAs as the top dog . Shortly before the start of training camp, Smith is made unavailable due to a broken Jaw, and Fitzpatrick assumes the starting  job . Questioned as to what would happened upon Smith's return to action, the HC makes a statement that would declare to all who care to listen who he was . He said Smith was the starter and now  Fitzpatrick is the starter . He further stated that if the Team was winning, and the QB was playing at a high level he would not make a change for the sake of making a change . Not a direct quote, but something along those lines. Fitzpatrick goes out and has a record setting if not unspectacular season and is assigned the position of starting QB should the Jets and he come to a contract agreement and be resigned.

We have a HC with conviction and honor, a Man's man . Someone who knows what he wants and goes about obtaining it his way . If it cost him his job, then so be it, but I have the utmost respect for anyone who will not be swayed from a prepared path . Before you build a house, you must build a foundation. That foundation must be firm, and be able to withstand anything .  Can anyone here say that Todd Bowles hasn't been the same person from the day he became the HC . Now you can build your house and along the way, you will run into issues, but if given the chance, you can guarantee the house will be built.

If the foundation can be built strong, the same person should be able to orchestrate the building of the house .

I love this HC .

He can lay all the foundation he wants, the man can't coach.

I have no issue with Bowles in the terms he is just described.  I don't even have a monster beef about the whole QB thing.

By far the biggest issue i have is the defense, the part of the team he is most responsible flat out sucks ass.  The good vet players are loafing or taking advantage of him.  His system is being owned game in and game out and he doesn't seem to know how to stop it.  He has an assortment of players the GM has given him who are being put in positions to fail, or at the least being put in positions they can't succeed.

If you are D coach or an O coach and one side of the ball is 'your baby' and most of the resources have been stuck into that side they better produce.

The QB and offense is a disappointment, the special teams are bad but the defense is an utter joke and that falls on this coach.

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I love this HC .

Sweet blog, but needs more lunch pails...

Even if you like his demeanor and the way he is handling the Qb situation, how can you think he is doing a good job coaching this team? The in game coaching is awful, the end of game management is awful, the 2nd half adjustments don't exist, the defense has gotten worse despite Bowles being a defensive minded HC etc...

I actually agree with OP that his demeanor is great. He doesn't get rattled. But that alone isn't what makes a coach qualified. 

You describe Bowles as a "man's man."

He may be a "man" in his convictions. Another point of view could be stubbornness.

He also doesn't make in-game decisions like a "man."  He makes choices like a coward that punts at every potential decision to go on 4th down.  Including a couple that he should have gone for without even a 2nd thought.  He coaches like he is afraid to be criticized. Not exactly indicative of a "man's man" either.

Nope.  Sorry Tin Man.  Your coach might have a heart, but he is more like the Lion that can't find his courage. 

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

He can lay all the foundation he wants, the man can't coach.

Then he must have 1 hell of a "Line" to convince 2 of the top NFL former execs that he could . There was another guy around here who can't coach that left this statement. 

"You don't or can't coach talent " or something like that .

I just that explains why Belicheck became a great HC when he locked onto Brady.  How Phil Jackson became the Zen Master with Michael Jordan and Shaq and Kobe . 

14 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Name three times in two seasons where you can clearly say Bowles outcoached the other guy.

I'll wait.

In 2 years, his team has won 13 NFL regular season games  against other NFL teams .  How many did you asked for ?

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have no issue with Bowles in the terms he is just described.  I don't even have a monster beef about the whole QB thing.

By far the biggest issue i have is the defense, the part of the team he is most responsible flat out sucks ass.  The good vet players are loafing or taking advantage of him.  His system is being owned game in and game out and he doesn't seem to know how to stop it.  He has an assortment of players the GM has given him who are being put in positions to fail, or at the least being put in positions they can't succeed.

If you are D coach or an O coach and one side of the ball is 'your baby' and most of the resources have been stuck into that side they better produce.

The QB and offense is a disappointment, the special teams are bad but the defense is an utter joke and that falls on this coach.

Not even just the defense overall that's his 'baby' with Bowles. That's still too broad and kind to him. It's the secondary specifically, where he earned his stripes as a coach (not to mention, as a player before that). 

The Jets need to stop firing people because the fans ask for it. No one is ever going to want to work here. Bowles has been here not even 2 years, he's 13-14 overall. You all want him fired? 

meanwhile the same  fans who want Bowles fired also want Petty and Hack to get starts they don't deserve. "to see what we have" 

How about seeing what we have from the first time HC? 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Not even just the defense overall that's his 'baby' with Bowles. That's still too broad and kind to him. It's the secondary specifically, where he earned his stripes as a coach (not to mention, as a player before that). 

That is true but he has f'd up the dline and linebackers more than anything, the secondary just stinks.

34 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I love this HC .

TLDNR it all but after 3 sentences got the drift.

Talk to me next November.

Just now, bitonti said:

The Jets need to stop firing people because the fans ask for it. No one is ever going to want to work here. Bowles has been here not even 2 years, he's 13-14 overall. You all want him fired? 

He won't be fired so there is no worry there.  He has been awful this year though there really is not disputing that.  He will be back for another year probably two at minimum, if he realizes he has made mistakes and corrects them then as mac says he can become a very good coach, but we have seen this act with Rex.  Rex never improved on his weaknesses and it cost him.

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We agree . I have always maintain, that when a coordinator becomes a HC, and hires someone to run the defense that gave him the opportunity to become said HC< it can only lead to trouble . The person who prepares the game plan and the person who executes the game plan should be the same person.  The problem we have, is Our DC prepares the game plan, runs his troops through their exercises and Bowles calls the defense on game day .  It didn't work when Herm hired Cottrell to run the Tampa 2 and it's not going to work for Bowles .

I can assure you, someone is getting fire after this season. Either the DC, Bowles or Both if Bowles don't back down .

FUBAR

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has been awful this year though there really is not disputing that.  

Just last week a terrible Jets team with no Mangold, no Clady, no Decker led the Pats for 58 minutes. They aren't quitting even though they could. I don't know how that's so awful. 

Coaches coach, players play. If Bowles had better players the team's record would be better

there's no coach in the world that makes Fitz/Geno/Petty/Hack into a winning QB.  These guys suck and it has nothing to do with Bowles. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

That is true but he has f'd up the dline and linebackers more than anything, the secondary just stinks.

They're certainly not great. Bur are they every bit as bad, talent-wise, as their performance has been? The easy answer is yes, but honestly who's to say, since we don't get to split-test games he's coached the secondary vs games someone else has coached these same players (at the same age). I don't buy any idea that they're playing to their talent level any more than any other unit. They suck, and if it's his specialty he should be able to coach players into outperforming their talent level, not at or below it.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Just last week a terrible Jets team with no Mangold, no Clady, no Decker led the Pats for 58 minutes. They aren't quitting even though they could. I don't know how that's so awful. 

Coaches coach, players play. If Bowles had better players the team's record would be better

there's no coach in the world that makes Fitz/Geno/Petty/Hack into a winning QB.  These guys suck and it has nothing to do with Bowles. 

They won 10 games last year.  No one in their right mind could say the head coach is getting the most out of this team.

I will give you your opinion on this one, except for one thing.  In your post you did not say that the GM should be immediately fired for his awful job, you left that part out it seems.

Also he coaches coach bit is a nice blanket excuse, it is up to the coach to take these players and get the most out of them and be successful,he's failed badly this year.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Todd Bowles is the HC, not the DC or the secondary coach of the Jets . Ultimately he's responsible for the entire team, but when you're the position coach or the Coordinator,  you make your bones on how your unit executes. 

In the NFL, the HC is responsible for the coaching staff, not the players.  That's the difference .

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

it is up to the coach to take these players and get the most out of them and be successful,he's failed badly this year.

That happened once with Parcells, 20 years ago, and ever since then fans think that's what coaches do. 

That was a hall of fame caliber staff with Belly and 8 other future head coaches in the building at once. 

That doesn't happen anymore.

These days, it's the other way around. the players make the coach look good (or bad). 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Todd Bowles is the HC, not the DC or the secondary coach of the Jets . Ultimately he's responsible for the entire team, but when you're the position coach or the Coordinator,  you make your bones on how your unit executes. 

In the NFL, the HC is responsible for the coaching staff, not the players.  That's the difference .

Huh? HC sets the tone for every player on the roster and lets them know exactly what is expected of them. He coaches them. All of them. Including the ones that miss or are late to meetings.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That happened once with Parcells, 20 years ago, and ever since then fans think that's what coaches do. 

That was a hall of fame caliber staff with Belly and 8 other future head coaches in the building at once. 

That doesn't happen anymore.

These days, it's the other way around. the players make the coach look good (or bad). 

You have just excused every lousy coach who ever coached for bad performance.  You also avoid my comment about the GM.  You also did not address how players are being used.

Two of our dlineman skipping meetings and loafing.

Playing an impact dlineman at ilb and olb.

The GM drafts two 3-4 olbs the last two years in the 3rd round, they are hardly out there in that capacity.

So wait,

somehow, posters believe that a head coach has no influence on a game?

absurdly myopic.

• They often create and approve game plans for each unit on a football team.
  • They manage the use of timeouts and challenges.
  • They often motivate players and discipline them.
  • They decide who actually plays and how much.

But I think maybe you're right. Todd Bowles may not do any of these tasks. But REAL head coaches most certainly do.

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It is his obvious area of concentration. It wasn't until well into this season that he even attended his first practice meeting with his offense, by his own admission.

So yeah he's equally responsible for all areas in the end, but nobody reasonably thinks he has equal input into all areas for which he's responsible. 

Does the team play hard for 60 minutes every week?

Do they commit fewer errors than their opponent?

Does the coach make a positive impact in the last 5 minutes of the game?

Is the team disciplined?

Is the team prepared?

Bowles is a fialboat 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I love this HC .

The main problem I have with this is that when Geno Smith was healthy last season Fitzpatrick was in the middle of a 1-4 stretch where he played horrific like he did most of this season, and Bowles stuck with him.  Yes Fitz had a field day with the rest of the easy schedule going 5-1 the loss being week 17 that cost the Jets the playoffs.  If Bowles was true to his word he would have inserted G Smith as the QB after the Houston Texans game.  And to dispute that Bowles isn't influenced by others to make decisions that he thinks is  best for the team I would, and will argue he stuck with Fitztragic because it's who veterans like Marshall, Decker, Mangold ect. wanted starting, even thou Geno Smith deserved to take his shot at the starting QB position after that Texans game, so the rest of this to me is just nonsense by a HC who like his supposed mentor doesn't want to hitch his wagon to a young inexperienced QB (Parcells telling Archive no thanks to his kid to be picked 1st overall, refusing till it was to late to turn to Ray Lucas in 99), and plays it way to safe to succeed in today's NFL, the Jets will just tread between 4-12, and 10-6 under such direction never being a SB contender under this type of pussified coaching.

Carry on rant over.

39 minutes ago, bitonti said:

meanwhile the same  fans who want Bowles fired also want Petty and Hack to get starts they don't deserve. "to see what we have" 

How about seeing what we have from the first time HC? 

I would agree with this except, this team has gotten progressively worse beginning at the end of last season exacerbated by horrific offensive theory and QB play. I don't care what anyone says, this defense, specifically the defensive backfield of which Bowltite once was a part of is bottom 3 in the NFL period. That is all we need to know, a defensive guru who has a horrible defense, does this give anyone hope that he will ascend become a great HC because he stands by his principles?

This all seems a little Rob Ryan'ish if you ask me whereby the guy is (supposedly) a defensive guru, but his defenses always suck.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two of our dlineman skipping meetings and loafing.

Playing an impact dlineman at ilb and olb.

The GM drafts two 3-4 olbs the last two years in the 3rd round, they are hardly out there in that capacity.

Mauldin is played a ton last week. Who else is there? 

the star d linemen (one of whom went to the same school Temple as Bowles) were benched for missing meetings 

Sheldon and Mo are like 2 of only a handful of difference makers on this roster 

ask yourself how many other of the 31 NFL head coaches would have benched their only stars for missing a meeting?

they say Dez Bryant hasn't been to a meeting since he's been drafted. 

it's the job of the coach to punish infractions after they happen not prevent them minority report style. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I love this HC .

I like that part of him, the part that isn't afraid of the fans and media but the other part- the part that actually coaches- is beyond awful.

Archived