R.I.P. Joe McKnight

maury77

Just now, NoBowles said:

Thats not what I am talking about, I am talking about you making statements that whites who kill people are nuts but blacks who kill people are criminals. That is classic race baiting.

Ok, I could see how you could feel that way. But it truly upsets me that whenever these things happen, and they seem to be happening more and more, people call the perpetrators "nuts" when they are white and call them criminals when they are not. THAT is the race baiting. Not only black people, like me, can race bait. Whites do it all the time, only because they are in the majority they don't see it because nobody calls them on it, nobody they are willing to believe that is.

"Its very scary to me how this country is being pulled apart and racial tensions are at a higher level than they have been for 50 years."

Yeah, imagine how it is for me, the target of all this hate!!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad story any way you look at it.  The thing is here guys is there is very little evidence that has surfaced yet.  If it turns out that Ronald Gasser murdered him then charge him and punish him to the fullest extent.  However, if there are circumstances in which it is not a murder under the law of louisana then he needs to be given the same right to be acquitted.  The rush to judgement and political posturing already is sickening.  Let the police investigate and do their jobs.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Ok, I could see how you could feel that way. But it truly upsets me that whenever these things happen, and they seem to be happening more and more, people call the perpetrators "nuts" when they are white and call them criminals when they are not. THAT is the race baiting. Not only black people, like me, can race bait. Whites do it all the time, only because they are in the majority they don't see it because nobody calls them on it, nobody they are willing to believe that is.

"Its very scary to me how this country is being pulled apart and racial tensions are at a higher level than they have been for 50 years."

Yeah, imagine how it is for me, the target of all this hate!!

Personally, it upsets me when anything like this happens regardless of race, but I still want to believe we have the best justice system in the world, and that much more often than not, we get things right in this country. If that guy killed McKnight in cold blood, I hope he gets the death penalty, I hope the truth and the real facts come out and justice is served according to the truth.

There are bad people on this planet, and many of them know no race or religion. When we start labeling the broader population, that is when we have the tensions we have today, and our media is going absolutely crazy with it right now. It is tearing apart our country.

Without declaring my ethnicity or race, I will tell you that I feel it daily as well, the hate that is.

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The suspected shooter pulled McKnight, 28, from his car and fired several shots, according to multiple witnesses.

Strange story here.  So a 54 year old man pulled a football player out of his car, shot him to death and then was released?

Joe McKnight, a former running back for the NY Jets, was fatally shot in Louisiana yesterday in what's been described as a "possible road rage episode." He was 28 years old.

Local law enforcement officials say McKnight was shot "multiple times" at around 2:45 p.m. in Terrytown, La., located just five miles outside of New Orleans. Local police identified 54-year-old Ronald Gasser as the shooting suspect; he stayed on the scene and handed in his gun before being taken into custody. 

A witness says she saw Gasser yell at McKnight in a busy intersection, and when McKnight, who did not have a gun, tried to apologize, Gasser shot him multiple times, telling him, "I told you don't you **** with me." McKnight was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Local authorities seem certain that Gasser fatally shot McKnight, but the suspect was released without charges last night. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office says the investigation is ongoing.

120216_gasser.jpg
Ronald Gasser (Handout)

McKnight played for the Jets from 2010 to 2012, starting once in 39 games and gaining 505 yards rushing and 177 receiving. He was released in August 2013, and played two games with Kansas City in 2014. The Jets released a statement about McKnight on Twitter:

This Thread is going to get UGLY REALLY Quick. It's already taking a turn into another Race discussion when this is a sports forum. What happened is F%UC_KED, BUT let's not get political in here, there's PLENTY of that conversation OUTSIDE in the real world. 

Just now, NoBowles said:

I still want to believe we have the best justice system in the world,

LOL, well it's not that funny actually.

I'd like to believe it too, but, for a person with my skin color, it's just not true.

Here's a story:

I live in a diverse community and have neighbors of many colors. Mostly, though, it's a white neighborhood. A while back, I was at a party and my friend started talking about his experience growing up in Cincinnati. He was talking about how he once was smoking some pot and it was powerful and he wound up passed out in his car with the engine running. He was awakened by an officer, who asked him if he was alright. The thing is that there were joints (multiple) sitting in the car, so they asked him to produce his license, registration, etc.

Turns out, he father was in law enforcement, so, they told him to watch himself and to drive home safely.

Now, given that experience, contrast it with the common experience of blacks in this country: it would have been a charge on his record, probably a night in jail, and who knows what else, if you had a truly angry, racist cop.

No, we have one of the worst justice systems if you're a minority. And if there is not equal justice than you really have NO justice.

Just sayin...

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

LOL, well it's not that funny actually.

I'd like to believe it too, but, for a person with my skin color, it's just not true.

Here's a story:

I live in a diverse community and have neighbors of many colors. Mostly, though, it's a white neighborhood. A while back, I was at a party and my friend started talking about his experience growing up in Cincinnati. He was talking about how he once was smoking some pot and it was powerful and he wound up passed out in his car with the engine running. He was awakened by an officer, who asked him if he was alright. The thing is that there were joints (multiple) sitting in the car, so they asked him to produce his license, registration, etc.

Turns out, he father was in law enforcement, so, they told him to watch himself and to drive home safely.

Now, given that experience, contrast it with the common experience of blacks in this country: it would have been a charge on his record, probably a night in jail, and who knows what else, if you had a truly angry, racist cop.

No, we have one of the worst justice systems if you're a minority. And if there is not equal justice than you really have NO justice.

Just sayin...

I will respectfully bow out of this conversation. This is not the venue for it. There are many venues for it, this is not one.

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Joe McKnight, a former running back for the NY Jets, was fatally shot in Louisiana yesterday in what's been described as a "possible road rage episode." He was 28 years old.

Local law enforcement officials say McKnight was shot "multiple times" at around 2:45 p.m. in Terrytown, La., located just five miles outside of New Orleans. Local police identified 54-year-old Ronald Gasser as the shooting suspect; he stayed on the scene and handed in his gun before being taken into custody. 

A witness says she saw Gasser yell at McKnight in a busy intersection, and when McKnight, who did not have a gun, tried to apologize, Gasser shot him multiple times, telling him, "I told you don't you **** with me." McKnight was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Local authorities seem certain that Gasser fatally shot McKnight, but the suspect was released without charges last night. The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office says the investigation is ongoing.

120216_gasser.jpg
Ronald Gasser (Handout)

McKnight played for the Jets from 2010 to 2012, starting once in 39 games and gaining 505 yards rushing and 177 receiving. He was released in August 2013, and played two games with Kansas City in 2014. The Jets released a statement about McKnight on Twitter:

This Thread is going to get UGLY REALLY Quick. It's already taking a turn into another Race discussion when this is a sports forum. What happened is F%UC_KED, BUT let's not get political in here, there's PLENTY of that conversation OUTSIDE in the real world. 

Something seems terribly wrong about this guy getting released. There are several eyewitnesses who said McKnight was unarmed and was apologizing to the man when the guy snapped, shot him and then stood over his prone body and shot him again.

How do you get released from jail 24 hours after doing that? Something's wrong. 

3 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I think you've said enough. This is a FOOTBALL site, not a political forum.

So its ok for people to whine and complain in threads about football but not for people to have a healthy discussion about a death of a former jet.  Guess ill go find my safe space

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Thats not what I am talking about, I am talking about you making statements that whites who kill people are nuts but blacks who kill people are criminals. That is classic race baiting.

I have no idea the details of what happened, regardless, its a horrible tragedy, and I hope that justice is served. What I have read is no charges were filed "YET" and that there still may be. Its very scary to me how this country is being pulled apart and racial tensions are at a higher level than they have been for 50 years. 

But that's how the media always portrays it though, and that's what he's saying.

If a white person goes on a killing spree, it's always said that he's a lunatic/deranged/crazy

If the killer is Black, they'll say he's a thug or a criminal

If it's a Muslim, they'll say he's a terrorist.

The media and many others always use code words used to describe certain people, and some of us see through their bullcrap

17 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I will respectfully bow out of this conversation. This is not the venue for it. There are many venues for it, this is not one.

I respect your decision. Just relating a story about my life experiences as a black man in this country. I realize it's not that easy to discuss, but, you know, there's never a venue for a healthy discussion because nobody is willing to listen.

17 minutes ago, King P said:

But that's how the media always portrays it though, and that's what he's saying.

If a white person goes on a killing spree, it's always said that he's a lunatic/deranged/crazy

If the killer is Black, they'll say he's a thug or a criminal

If it's a Muslim, they'll say he's a terrorist.

The media and many others always use code words used to describe certain people, and some of us see through their bullcrap

I see where your trying to go but if a black guy kills numerous people he is called nuts just like someone of every color race or creed except for muslims who get labeled as suspected terrorists at first.

Or if a black person does something crazy like push someone on the tracks they are labeled nuts as they should be not criminals at least from what I read around here in NYC, can't speak for other parts of the country

Where I do agree with is if it's a black on black crime between two men it does seem to be considered a thug before a nut or deranged person. which it shouldn't be. 

So, you're the authority on what the "best way" to remember or to grieve?

If you don't agree, nobody forced you to comment, let alone to add a comment that adds nothing positive to the discussion and attempts to force people to behave in a certain way.

55 minutes ago, phill1c said:

And my father was murdered, stabbed. So you are not in charge of me or my opinions.

People who shoot people aren't nuts unless they are white. If they are black, they are just criminals.

Sorry for your loss, but you ain't got sh!t on me when it comes to having a loved one killed.

What I am in charge of is this site. And what I am saying is this is not the place to discuss things that aren't football related. That was 100% my point.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Oh, sorry.

didn't mean to grieve in an inappropriate manner.

Listen, Joe McKnight was murdered, this is a terrible thing. I have no idea how anyone should grieve. I didn't know him personally so what I did is I prayed for his soul. I prayed that he is at peace and I prayed that justice be served if needed.

I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. So I will just let the process play out and I hope that Joe McKnight's family somehow finds peace through this horrific and senseless tragedy.

In the context of JetNation, this just isn't the place for racial or political discussions. We set that up here that way from day one. So everyone can certainly grieve and vent. But when it becomes about something bigger or systematic, there are other places to discuss all that.

We are a NY Jets site.

Rest in peace Joe McKnight.

4 minutes ago, phill1c said:

So, you're the authority on what the "best way" to remember or to grieve?

If you don't agree, nobody forced you to comment, let alone to add a comment that adds nothing positive to the discussion and attempts to force people to behave in a certain way.

To be clear, you're not the only I was referring to, but quite frankly that is neither remembering nor grieving, you and others on both sides of this "discussion" are using it to fuel their own personal agendas.  I don't even necessarily disagree with your points, but it says a lot about the kind of people whose top priority is to make horrible situations all about themselves.

Just now, phill1c said:

Close the thread.

You don't really give a Sh!t anyway...

everyone cared until you turned it into a racial issue.  a guy with a gun killed another guy.  that's what it is.  it happened to be a guy that played football for the team that we come to this site for.  for you to try and compete on worse stories of family members being killed is ridiculous.  sorry for your loss, but don't try to make someone else feel like their loss doesn't matter at all.

if you want to talk black vs white go on some political forum, this isn't the spot for it.

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

everyone cared until you turned it into a racial issue

I didn't turn it into anything. It's a white guy executing a black guy he didn't know. it was already a racial thing.

and to constantly say "we don't know anything..." when the news is already out about seems "willfully ignorant".

But, hey, I will agree not to discuss it if you don't address me personally. I don't want to get shot.

32 minutes ago, Armyjet said:

So its ok for people to whine and complain in threads about football but not for people to have a healthy discussion about a death of a former jet.  Guess ill go find my safe space

Then go to a Reddit site and talk THERE. This site is about JETS football NOT racial issues still apparent in our society. The topic has gone OFF the rails and is no longer about grieving but about gripes now. CLOSE THE THREAD PLEASE.

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Close the thread.

You don't really give a Sh!t anyway...

Wrong. We don't give a $hit about THAT TOPIC on THIS SITE. 

PLENTY of other places to discuss this VERY PROBLEMATIC ISSUE FACING our society. BUT NOT HERE

HERE. The ONLY COLOR that MATTERS is GREEN! 

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I didn't turn it into anything. It's a white guy executing a black guy he didn't know. it was already a racial thing.

and to constantly say "we don't know anything..." when the news is already out about seems "willfully ignorant".

But, hey, I will agree not to discuss it if you don't address me personally. I don't want to get shot.

I have read a lot of your post lately. I think you are a great poster and you know a lot about the Jets. I hope you see that they try to keep this forum only about the Jets and not other outside issues. Plenty of time and plenty of stuff Jets related to hate each other about this season. :)

Archived