2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

5-17 in their last 22.  Aside from Judge as the constant every other facet of the team is inconsistent.  Who would of thought this a year ago but they really miss Aaron Hicks :o Really need to win this series heading into the break.  The trade deadline will be interesting.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I know you are just trolling, and having fun, looking for a reaction.   But now you are like my 8 year old.   He tells a funny joke once, and then tells it 17 more times, not realizing he isn't funny any more.

Have you ever contemplated that I AM your 8 year old?? 

1 hour ago, gqxluvx said:

5-17 in their last 22.  Aside from Judge as the constant every other facet of the team is inconsistent.  Who would of thought this a year ago but they really miss Aaron Hicks :o Really need to win this series heading into the break.  The trade deadline will be interesting.

This slide can definitely change their approach at the deadline.

This season is still crazy exciting. Was much nicer when they were in 1st place though. But the pitching staff probably won't be enough to get it done this year regardless.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

This team has 4-6 more wins with Miller right now.  Minimum

But Miller brought the Yanks a bigger ML haul.  It was a trade they had to make.  There was also financial issues involved.  Miller had an affordable contract, but Betances was cheaper as arbitration eligible.  Cashman wants Yanks under the luxury tax with Arod and Tex's contracts coming off the books after this season.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

But Miller brought the Yanks a bigger ML haul.  It was a trade they had to make.  There was also financial issues involved.  Miller had an affordable contract, but Betances was cheaper as arbitration eligible.  Cashman wants Yanks under the luxury tax with Arod and Tex's contracts coming off the books after this season.

Agree.  Miller was a great piece, and affordable for years, that is why they got so much.   Let's face it, there was no way to know Judge would do this.  Their starting pitching would get incinerated by Houston in the playoffs.  

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

This team has 4-6 more wins with Miller right now.  Minimum

I didn't get the Miller trade at all last year.  Chapman made sense he was a soon to be FA but we had Miller locked up to a very reasonable deal and he did nothing but pitch outstanding here and be a great locker room guy

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I didn't get the Miller trade at all last year.  Chapman made sense he was a soon to be FA but we had Miller locked up to a very reasonable deal and he did nothing but pitch outstanding here and be a great locker room guy

He is great.   Great in NY.   Great in Cleveland.   Pitched great in the playoffs.   Last 2+ years, you can argue the best bullpen pitcher in baseball.  Plus, he just wants to help.  I will always remember him in NY.

"Do you care if you aren't the closer?"  (after they got Chapman)

"For what they are paying me I will pitch anywhere they say"  (words to that effect).  Meaning, I know I am being paid well, I'm not going to pitch a fit, I will do what they think will best help the team to win. 

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

He is great.   Great in NY.   Great in Cleveland.   Pitched great in the playoffs.   Last 2+ years, you can argue the best bullpen pitcher in baseball.  Plus, he just wants to help.  I will always remember him in NY.

"Do you care if you aren't the closer?"  (after they got Chapman)

"For what they are paying me I will pitch anywhere they say"  (words to that effect).  Meaning, I know I am being paid well, I'm not going to pitch a fit, I will do what they think will best help the team to win. 

I think we just carried away with the whole youth movement fire sale thing.  If trading Miller costs us our season this could get ugly

11 hours ago, thadude said:

I think we just carried away with the whole youth movement fire sale thing.  If trading Miller costs us our season this could get ugly

Again, no one predicted Judge would do this.   For the 1st portion of the season, the starters held up real well.  CC got hurt, and Pineda and Tanaka have been really hit or miss.

If it wasn't for Judge, Montgomery would be getting ROY love.

Crazy stat:  A Yankee reliever has been pegged with 9 of the teams last 17 losses.   That's the Yanks tailspin in a nutshell.  The bullpen has either had the lead or been tied in 9 games and lost them all.

BTW, the Daily News article where a "Yankee insider" questioned Bird's heart and desire to come back from injury has Randy Levine written all over it.

TIME TO BE SELLERS AGAIN!!!

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Crazy stat:  A Yankee reliever has been pegged with 9 of the teams last 17 losses.   That's the Yanks tailspin in a nutshell.  The bullpen has either had the lead or been tied in 9 games and lost them all.

BTW, the Daily News article where a "Yankee insider" questioned Bird's heart and desire to come back from injury has Randy Levine written all over it.

This is the worst bullpen I can remember.  Thing is, it started so well.  

Clippard fell off a cliff like no one I have ever seen.   Betances can't throw a strike.  Warren got hurt.   Chapman is not 100%. 

On July 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM, SMC said:

We sucked lately but kinda hard to be sellers when we lead the wildcard standings

9 hours ago, thadude said:

We sucked lately but kinda hard to be sellers when we lead the wildcard standings

Understood, but who is the starter for that 1 WC game?  That's the problem.  Tanaka has been awful and when you thought he had turned things around, he stunk again today.

Working toward a winner-take-all WC game is not the course the team should be taking. 

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Understood, but who is the starter for that 1 WC game?  That's the problem.  Tanaka has been awful and when you thought he had turned things around, he stunk again today.

Working toward a winner-take-all WC game is not the course the team should be taking. 

Tanaka has been ok recently.  

17 hours ago, SMC said:

This team was built for 2018 from day one.   If we hit the wild card, it's a bonus.   Look at the amount of young talent.  Find some extra pitching for next year, and wow.  

There is no way they beat Houston in the playoffs right now.  None.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

One positive from yesterday's loss was Chad Green looked excellent.  He has to be the everyday 7th inning guy going forward

Green has been pretty good since he's been called up.

I would normally say that Tanaka has cost himself a lot of money this year with his awful pitching, but with the dearth of quality starters as FAs in 2018, he'll likely get a big payday.  Hopefully it won't be from the Yanks. 

That home run derby was one of the most fun things I have seen in a long time.   Sanchez takes out the reigning champ.   Judge goes crazy.   He hit home runs all over that dang park.  Over the Marlin.  Right field.   Right center upper deck.   Crazy.

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

That home run derby was one of the most fun things I have seen in a long time.   Sanchez takes out the reigning champ.   Judge goes crazy.   He hit home runs all over that dang park.  Over the Marlin.  Right field.   Right center upper deck.   Crazy.

Yeah, I'm never seen a HR Derby participate spray homers before.  Usually they pull it or go center.  Judge hit opposite field homers.  Crazy.

On July 10, 2017 at 10:25 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Judge is absolutely must-watch tv, while playing the slowest sport on the planet. That's how you know he's an absolute f*ckin star. 

I keep hearing MLB wants to try all these dumb ideas to speed up games

How about get rid of that stupid replay review bs?  Friggin bs cost us a game last week they took a 3 run homer away from Headley

On July 10, 2017 at 2:01 PM, SMC said:

Green has been pretty good since he's been called up.

I would normally say that Tanaka has cost himself a lot of money this year with his awful pitching, but with the dearth of quality starters as FAs in 2018, he'll likely get a big payday.  Hopefully it won't be from the Yanks. 

If Tanaka continues to pitch decent he will opt out.  Tough call for the Yankees 

3 hours ago, thadude said:

I keep hearing MLB wants to try all these dumb ideas to speed up games

How about get rid of that stupid replay review bs?  Friggin bs cost us a game last week they took a 3 run homer away from Headley

No way you give up replay.  Headley didn't hit a homer.  Can't say its bad because it led to the right call.  Need to correct bad calls so replay will always have its place.

Cutting down trips to the mound is one way to speed up game

Archived