2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

35 minutes ago, SMC said:

Gray isn't a FA until 2020.  That will be a different team by then.

It's an interesting trade because Yanks gave up 3 bona fide blue chippers, but 2 of them with serious health issues.  Gray has had health issues in the past, so both teams are bearing a health risk.

The Yanks needed a No. 2-3 starter behind Severino and either CC or Tanaka, and they got it.  And the end of the day, I hate losing Kaperlain, but I understand that he wasn't contributing until 2019 and the Yanks are really high on Adams and Sheffield, who surpassed Kaperlain in the pitcher prospect ranks in the organization.  Fowler and Mateo were going to be blocked in the OF so, although they are top prospects, they wouldn't have been in the majors for the long haul in near future.

I didn't mean Gray was going to be a FA now.  I meant in response to we won't know who won the trade for 3-4 years, cause Gray will be a FA by then.  2020 is 2 1/2 years away.  I kind of like the deal, but I don't really know enough about all these players to judge.  Truth is, the Yanks look good enough to make a major push in 2018 and they aren't bad now. 

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I didn't mean Gray was going to be a FA now.  I meant in response to we won't know who won the trade for 3-4 years, cause Gray will be a FA by then.  2020 is 2 1/2 years away.  I kind of like the deal, but I don't really know enough about all these players to judge.  Truth is, the Yanks look good enough to make a major push in 2018 and they aren't bad now. 

I get that and it's a good point.  I was just pointing out that 3 years is a long time and we can't really look at then as to whether who wins the trade.  Of course, if this is the 80s and the Yanks are trading Jay Beuhner, then yes, the Yanks lost that trade big time.  But if Gray solidifies the rotation for a 3 yr championship run, the As and Yanks are winners.

On an aside, Vlad Guerrero Jr. and Fernando Tatis Jr. are top 15 minor league prospects.  Holy crap. We've been watching baseball too long.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, SMC said:

I think 3000 hits is still a magical number.  It hasn't been deflated like 500 because of PEDs.  3000 is more of a longevity number.  Beltre is getting into the HOF, as will Pujols and Miggy.  Beltran won't because he's too old to hit the magical numbers.

The interesting thing is 300 wins.  Like you said, even the top flight pitchers today aren't going to sniff 250.

The only one who even has a shot who is still active is CC and he needs to stick around 6 more seasons just to maybe get it

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Severino's last four starts have been simply dominant. Would like to see him to consistently go longer into games, but it's impossible to complain with his last handful of stats. 

Actually, before his last 2, he had 4 straight of at least 7 innings.   Last start was 5, tonight was 6 2/3.

I like that Girardi benched Sanchez.  

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Actually, before his last 2, he had 4 straight of at least 7 innings.   Last start was 5, tonight was 6 2/3.

I like that Girardi benched Sanchez.  

I stand corrected. I just always seem to remember him getting yanked before making it to the 7th, definitely glad to be wrong hah. Sanchez's defensive woes are a bit surprising. Everyone said last year that he called a great game, ontop of having an absolute cannon. Def like Girardi making that move, hopefully Sanchez responds well.

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I stand corrected. I just always seem to remember him getting yanked before making it to the 7th, definitely glad to be wrong hah. Sanchez's defensive woes are a bit surprising. Everyone said last year that he called a great game, ontop of having an absolute cannon. Def like Girardi making that move, hopefully Sanchez responds well.

Sanchez has been playing with a groin all year, but some of it has to do with just, getting in the dirt and blocking pitches.

Severino continues his incredible run.  Yeah, last game (while great) was an anomaly because he got pulled after 5 due to the high pitch count (a lot of strikeouts and bad counts).  Otherwise, he leads the starters in average length of starts.

Sanchez' D has regressed and he'll work it out.  Everyone, including him, knows it's an issue.  He was great behind the plate last year.  The groin injury and supposedly bulking up in the offseason has impacted his flexibility.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:58 AM, SMC said:

I think 3000 hits is still a magical number.  It hasn't been deflated like 500 because of PEDs.  3000 is more of a longevity number.  Beltre is getting into the HOF, as will Pujols and Miggy.  Beltran won't because he's too old to hit the magical numbers.

The interesting thing is 300 wins.  Like you said, even the top flight pitchers today aren't going to sniff 250.

I was looking at numbers.   Greg Maddux is amazing, and almost over looked because he played at the same time as Randy and Pedro.  Over a 9 year period, he finished top 5 in Cy Young 8 times.   Won 4 in a row.

He also led the league in innings pitched 5 straight years.   That doesn't include being in the post season every year.   Even more amazing, he won 355 games.   No one will touch that in the next 50 years. 

45 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

The offense is a problem.  I know Hicks and Castro are out and they will help but they have been in a big funk for awhile now.  

I saw that since the all star break they lead the majors in runners left on base.  No, I don't have the link.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I saw that since the all star break they lead the majors in runners left on base.  No, I don't have the link.

I remember hearing since July 4 or something they have the worst BA and runs scored in all of the AL.  So its a big problem right now.  Honestly they dont have enough guys that work at bats.  Judge is obviously struggling but besides Gardy there is no consistent grinder in the line up.  Headley is hitting well recently but guys Didi and Clint Frazier are free swingers and dont work the counts.  Todd Frazier actually has a had some good at bats lately but there are so many automatic outs right now.

7 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

I remember hearing since July 4 or something they have the worst BA and runs scored in all of the AL.  So its a big problem right now.  Honestly they dont have enough guys that work at bats.  Judge is obviously struggling but besides Gardy there is no consistent grinder in the line up.  Headley is hitting well recently but guys Didi and Clint Frazier are free swingers and dont work the counts.  Todd Frazier actually has a had some good at bats lately but there are so many automatic outs right now.

Clint should probably be sent down as soon as Hicks is available.  

On 8/7/2017 at 1:35 PM, chirorob said:

I was looking at numbers.   Greg Maddux is amazing, and almost over looked because he played at the same time as Randy and Pedro.  Over a 9 year period, he finished top 5 in Cy Young 8 times.   Won 4 in a row.

He also led the league in innings pitched 5 straight years.   That doesn't include being in the post season every year.   Even more amazing, he won 355 games.   No one will touch that in the next 50 years. 

Maddux is a hall of famer.

12 hours ago, thadude said:

Maddux is a hall of famer.

Of course he is, went in 1st ballot.   When people talk about that era, it's all Randy and Pedro.   I'm just saying, his win total was amazing, he was never linked to PEDs.   Could he have taken some, sure, but I can't see anyone else matching his win total.

5 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Man, we need to get Judge to start stance changing again soon. I know you need to cycle that crap, but man, he needs to take one for the team and stance change quickly.

Wah I'm a mutts fan and my owner who got conned by Madoff soldoff key players wah!

20 hours ago, thadude said:

Chapman can go F himself

It wasn't a horrible pitch, but he is the definition of an average closer.   He throws hard, but blows 20% of his saves, with a very average ERA.   Not elite money guy.

Last night, finally.   Judge stayed with a pitch down and away, didn't pull off, and drove it to right field.

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

It wasn't a horrible pitch, but he is the definition of an average closer.   He throws hard, but blows 20% of his saves, with a very average ERA.   Not elite money guy.

Last night, finally.   Judge stayed with a pitch down and away, didn't pull off, and drove it to right field.

Maddon wrecked Chapman.  He really should go on the DL at this point

Good to see Judge finally hit a homer

Judge hit a freaking monster.   Looks like he's coming out of it, I would have liked to see him not K in the 9th, just to end that stupid streak.

Didi is having a nice year, hitting 300, good SS, gonna hit 20 HR despite missing time at the beginning of the year.

Judge is a straight freak. Hitting a ball like that in Queens is no ******* joke.

I don't believe that it was 457 for a second either. Mets have been mismeasuring homers the past few years IMO. Stanton and Cespedes have had a few the last few years which have seemed way longer than they announced.

27 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Judge is a straight freak. Hitting a ball like that in Queens is no ******* joke.

I don't believe that it was 457 for a second either. Mets have been mismeasuring homers the past few years IMO. Stanton and Cespedes have had a few the last few years which have seemed way longer than they announced.

When he is keeping his head down, not pulling off, he is amazing.  His opposite field power is off the charts.   He hits a baseball like I hit a 5 iron.  Of course, I suck at Golf.

Archived