2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

Positional players vs pitchers are apples and oranges.  Yanks were very fortunate to get 2 very good pitchers that are at minimum signed through next season for an OF prospect.  Add to that a potential bat to the black hole that has been 1st base this year and it is a very good trade for the yanks imo.  

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SMC said:

Cashman panicked. Traded for White Sox's Frazier and Robertson for 2016 1st rounder Rutherford. Very disappointed in Cashman. Rutherford is Yanks No. 3 prospect and they need pitching

Disagree.  We need Robertson and he will solidify our bullpen.  I like this trade. 

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Completely agree.  I understand trading Rutherford because Yanks have a glut of high-end young OFer prospects/MLBers, but save that for a trade for a No. 2 or No. 1 starter.

That said, the Yanks acquired 3 MLBers for a minor leaguer and a washed up reliever, which is unheard of and tells you how valued the minor leaguer is.

I'm not being a jerk.   What pitchers are going to be available in a trade, even going into the off season?

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I don't like it, but there is a glut.   Their bullpen is shored up for this year and next with Robertson, and I believe 3 years for the other guy.

It's as much a help for next year as this year.  They could have 4 guys in the pen with the ability to strike out 100 per season.  Or Betances could stop throwing strikes forever and Chapman could keep being an average closer making elite money.

We had to make this deal to save the season.  Now that Pineda is done we have guys like Bryan Mitchell and Luis Cessa making regular starts who can't get through the 5th inning.  Even the veterans in the rotation are having difficulty doing that

And yes making the playoffs this year matters when you have $222 million payroll

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not being a jerk.   What pitchers are going to be available in a trade, even going into the off season?

Nobody except Quintana who the Cubs got and would have cost even more prospects.  The Rangers are shopping Darvish but they hate the Yankees and won't trade him to us barring a a ridiculous heist and we can sign Darvish as UFA next winter

Only other option is fortify the bullpen.  Between Chapman, Betances, Green and now Robertson we can have starters get out in the 5th inning and still win

13 hours ago, Barton said:

Guys, this starting staff is mediocre at best. they arent winning multiple playoff series. someone in the yankees brain trust made this move because they thought they could make a run THIS year. they are stupid.

It also fortifies the pen for next year as well.  

On 7/19/2017 at 11:52 AM, chirorob said:

I was thinking long term, as in next offseason and the July 2018 trade deadline.  Quality starters usually become available.

That said, I understand the need to shore up the bullpen and the Yanks did that with 2 quality & controllable arms.

At least they got something for Refsnyder.  Tough break for him, but he ran out of minor league options.  Now Yanks get a minor leaguer they don't have to put on the 40 man roster.

Hope this series win (finally!) is a sign that they're righting the ship.  All things considered, the Yanks went 1-8-2 in their last 11 series and are still only 1 game back of 1st in the loss column.  That's a good omen for their division title chances.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

At least they got something for Refsnyder.  Tough break for him, but he ran out of minor league options.  Now Yanks get a minor leaguer they don't have to put on the 40 man roster.

Hope this series win (finally!) is a sign that they're righting the ship.  All things considered, the Yanks went 1-8-2 in their last 11 series and are still only 1 game back of 1st in the loss column.  That's a good omen for their division title chances.

Glad he gets a shot even if it's on another team

Severino has been under the radar fantastic this year.  He's had 20 starts this year and has given up 2 or less ER in 12 starts, given up 3 ER in 3 other starts, and gone at least 7 innings in 12 starts.  The reason he has only 7 wins despite giving up only 2 or less runs in 12 starts is because the bullpen has blown the lead in the others.

5 hours ago, SMC said:

Severino has been under the radar fantastic this year.  He's had 20 starts this year and has given up 2 or less ER in 12 starts, given up 3 ER in 3 other starts, and gone at least 7 innings in 12 starts.  The reason he has only 7 wins despite giving up only 2 or less runs in 12 starts is because the bullpen has blown the lead in the others.

That is why you let young guys try to figure it out.  Remember when people thought he'd be better in the bullpen..

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

That is why you let young guys try to figure it out.  Remember when people thought he'd be better in the bullpen..

Yeah.  It is easier to figure it out in the bullpen, but then you lose guys that were potential topline starters - Mo, Joba, Hughes, Betances.  I understand it has worked, but how many ******* times are you going to do it?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah.  It is easier to figure it out in the bullpen, but then you lose guys that were potential topline starters - Mo, Joba, Hughes, Betances.  I understand it has worked, but how many ******* times are you going to do it?

Joba was the one they really messed up with.   He had good #'s as a starter, they jerked him around.  

On July 28, 2017 at 7:10 PM, SenorGato said:

At random points during the baseball season I get really annoyed the HOF is eventually going to **** Sabathia over.

If he hangs around a few more years he could be the last pitcher in forever to get 300 wins

6 hours ago, thadude said:

If he hangs around a few more years he could be the last pitcher in forever to get 300 wins

There are 3 active pitchers under 30 with 100 career wins.

Clayton Kershaw 141 wins (29 years old, back back), Rick Porcello 111 wins, (28), and Mad Bum, 101 wins (27, fell off a bike and crippled himself).

Does anyone think any of those guys even sniffs 250 wins?

You are going to see a similar thing in player reaching 3000 hits.

Pujols is right there, at 2914.   Miggy Cabrera has 2605, so I think he'll get it.   Carlos Beltran has 2695, I don't know that he'll quite get there, but he may.

After that, Robby Cano with 2311, but he's 34, so probably.   After that.... Mike Trout has 900, and he's only 25, but that' a long way to go.  Surprisingly, Starlin Castro is one of the more likely, with 1244 hits and he's only 27, but I don't see that. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Whoa.  Kaprelian, Fowler and Mateo for 2 years of Sonny Gray. 

It's a lot.   A lot

Kaprelian, have to see how he comes back from Tommy John.   Fowler, coming off a really bad knee.   Could wind up being a great deal for the A's.  

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

It's a lot.   A lot

Kaprelian, have to see how he comes back from Tommy John.   Fowler, coming off a really bad knee.   Could wind up being a great deal for the A's.  

Yeah, $1.5 in international money too.  I was really looking forward to Kaprelian.  Still, those guys probably won't be up to speed until 2019 if at all and there are still good bodies behind them.  Judge and Frazier seem like the real deal and they seem to love Estevan Florial even if he does strike out a ton.  You can only play so many guys. 

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, $1.5 in international money too.  I was really looking forward to Kaprelian.  Still, those guys probably won't be up to speed until 2019 if at all and there are still good bodies behind them.  Judge and Frazier seem like the real deal and they seem to love Estevan Florial even if he does strike out a ton.  You can only play so many guys. 

I would think, with Frazier and that injury, maybe they look at him as more a corner OF now, and they have that for the next few years.   I really wanted to see Kaprelian, but there is no guarentee with Tommy John, and he's probably 2 years away from really helping now.  I don't know much about Florial.

There won't be a winner of this trade for 3-4 years, when you see what Oakland really got.  

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

I would think, with Frazier and that injury, maybe they look at him as more a corner OF now, and they have that for the next few years.   I really wanted to see Kaprelian, but there is no guarentee with Tommy John, and he's probably 2 years away from really helping now.  I don't know much about Florial.

There won't be a winner of this trade for 3-4 years, when you see what Oakland really got.  

and Gray is a free agent.  I honestly don't know much about any of them, but Florial  is apparently a 19 year old potential 5-tool guy that strikes out way too much.  Accounts I read have him as a rocketship beating out grounders.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

and Gray is a free agent.  I honestly don't know much about any of them, but Florial  is apparently a 19 year old potential 5-tool guy that strikes out way too much.  Accounts I read have him as a rocketship beating out grounders.  

I would guess that the Yankees would pony up and extend Gray if he is "the guy". 

44 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would guess that the Yankees would pony up and extend Gray if he is "the guy". 

You have 2 years.   If he is the guy, you resign him.   If not, let him go and get a pick back.  It's a risk, but it could be good for next year as well.

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Gray isn't a FA until 2020.  That will be a different team by then.

It's an interesting trade because Yanks gave up 3 bona fide blue chippers, but 2 of them with serious health issues.  Gray has had health issues in the past, so both teams are bearing a health risk.

The Yanks needed a No. 2-3 starter behind Severino and either CC or Tanaka, and they got it.  And the end of the day, I hate losing Kaperlain, but I understand that he wasn't contributing until 2019 and the Yanks are really high on Adams and Sheffield, who surpassed Kaperlain in the pitcher prospect ranks in the organization.  Fowler and Mateo were going to be blocked in the OF so, although they are top prospects, they wouldn't have been in the majors for the long haul in near future.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:39 AM, chirorob said:

You are going to see a similar thing in player reaching 3000 hits.

Pujols is right there, at 2914.   Miggy Cabrera has 2605, so I think he'll get it.   Carlos Beltran has 2695, I don't know that he'll quite get there, but he may.

After that, Robby Cano with 2311, but he's 34, so probably.   After that.... Mike Trout has 900, and he's only 25, but that' a long way to go.  Surprisingly, Starlin Castro is one of the more likely, with 1244 hits and he's only 27, but I don't see that. 

I think 3000 hits is still a magical number.  It hasn't been deflated like 500 because of PEDs.  3000 is more of a longevity number.  Beltre is getting into the HOF, as will Pujols and Miggy.  Beltran won't because he's too old to hit the magical numbers.

The interesting thing is 300 wins.  Like you said, even the top flight pitchers today aren't going to sniff 250.

Archived