2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

Agreed and in spades.

More kids to come.

Maybe Bird and Sanchez get a full year next year.

Added pitching depth at the deadline but good for more than this year.

Dayyaunm Cashman.... this rebuild looks like it might be one for the ages.

Absolutely.  This 3 year span maybe the best job Cashman has ever done as GM.  Tear down while staying competitive, restock youth and then resurgence was incredible.

There's a lot of articles on this and it's a great point, Judge has now rebounded from two prolonged slumps--first from last year and then 6 weeks in late July/August.  That's really hard for a young player to do and it shows he's a real deal.

Lastly, I've mentioned before, but I grew up in a split household with my father a Met fan (Mets got good when my dad came from PR) and my mom a Yankee fan (she was a big Mantle fan growing up) so my bother, sis and me never hated either team and went to the Stadium and Shea every year.  While the Yanks were rebuilding now I was hoping for the Mets to win the WS and get it over with for the drought since 1986.  Now it looks like the Mets blew their chance to own the City and the Yanks are back to make a couple-of-years run.  I have no sympathy now and no Met fan can begrudge the Yanks' success (like they did in the Jeter years).

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep thinking with all these comeback wins and especially the extra inning miracle wins that at some point Boston would simply run out of steam and go on a prolonged losing streak...

Apparently not,  but there is a weight of accumulated karma that is out there waiting for that team regardless of whether or not the Yankees are there to be the direct beneficiary.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I keep thinking with all these comeback wins and especially the extra inning miracle wins that at some point Boston would simply run out of steam and go on a prolonged losing streak...

Apparently not,  but there is a weight of accumulated karma that is out there waiting for that team regardless of whether or not the Yankees are there to be the direct beneficiary.

Accumulated karma? Haha. What are you even talking about?

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Smaller words perhaps.

No thanks. I was just hoping for an actual conversation that would include point by point thoughts from you about defending your original statement. I’m guessing you just didn’t expect anyone to call your bluff and now you’re being purposefully obtuse. Nevertheless, there is no serious way a team like the Yankees can talk about “the weight of karma” from the inside of their own glass house. 

57 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No thanks. I was just hoping for an actual conversation that would include point by point thoughts from you about defending your original statement. I’m guessing you just didn’t expect anyone to call your bluff and now you’re being purposefully obtuse. Nevertheless, there is no serious way a team like the Yankees can talk about “the weight of karma” from the inside of their own glass house. 

You original contribution to this thread was about as weightless as your subsequent "continuation bets" have been.  Hardly the stuff of an actual invitation to converse "point by point" as you now claim.

No, you dropped into the thread with a snide comment which, in addition to being obtuse on it's face, also managed to make you come across as a bit of a d1ck-head.  Good job on that.  Not your best moment Carl all things considered.  I do hope that at least some of your other 19,000 posts have somewhat more in the way of content after all I wouldn't want to think that you have been a blowing hard nineteen thousand other times.

10 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You original contribution to this thread was about as weightless as your subsequent "continuation bets" have been.  Hardly the stuff of an actual invitation to converse "point by point" as you now claim.

No, you dropped into the thread with a snide comment which, in addition to being obtuse on it's face, also managed to make you come across as a bit of a d1ck-head.  Good job on that.  Not your best moment Carl all things considered.  I do hope that at least some of your other 19,000 posts have somewhat more in the way of content after all I wouldn't want to think that you have been a blowing hard nineteen thousand other times.

There was nothing snide or obtuse about my original post. I asked a genuine question about which you have still yet to answer because not only is there no basis for your original argument. You’re welcome to call me names and comment on number of posts, all meaning to move the conversation away from your original baseless post. It adds nothing to the conversation and just conflates the issue at hand. That said, I’d still love to hear your original premise with sound facts and stats. I know I won’t get that, but a boy can dream. 

Listen, I’m glad the Yankees are doing well. It adds some juice back to the rivalry. Baseball is better when the Yankees are good. As much I will love see them come up empty again in the playoffs, they have some solid building blocks to move forward with. The worst thing about the Yankees isn’t them, it’s their holier than thou fan attitude that gives them a bad name. 

14 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Accumulated karma? Haha. What are you even talking about?

At this point Carl I am going to leave it at this.  I thought I was being perfectly clear when I referenced the number of RECENT comeback wins and especially extra innings wins that the Red Sox have enjoyed and the idea that this streak like many streaks would come to an end with a bump at some point.  Perhaps it is already happening (fingers crossed).

If the Karma reference had too many religious overtones for your taste or for some other reason then feel free to use the term antichance or something else if that makes you feel more comfortable.

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There was nothing snide or obtuse about my original post. I asked a genuine question about which you have still yet to answer because not only is there no basis for your original argument. You’re welcome to call me names and comment on number of posts, all meaning to move the conversation away from your original baseless post. It adds nothing to the conversation and just conflates the issue at hand. That said, I’d still love to hear your original premise with sound facts and stats. I know I won’t get that, but a boy can dream. 

Listen, I’m glad the Yankees are doing well. It adds some juice back to the rivalry. Baseball is better when the Yankees are good. As much I will love see them come up empty again in the playoffs, they have some solid building blocks to move forward with. The worst thing about the Yankees isn’t them, it’s their holier than thou fan attitude that gives them a bad name.

Way to spin the gravitas of your original post.

Are you really so unaware of the recent Red Sox record where they are frequenly down by four, five or even six runs early and then come back to win, or their recent record of extra innings games all of which have ended up as wins?  If you are not then I suggest that you have not been following the race at all over the last month.  It is not my job to dig up those stats for you.

For my part I feel like you made the conscious decision to parachute into this thread with a douchey comment.   I don't know you from Adam and I anticipate no potential obstacles to the idea that we can avoid engaging one another from this point forward.  And with that you are welcome to the last word.

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

At this point Carl I am going to leave it at this.  I thought I was being perfectly clear when I referenced the number of RECENT comeback wins and especially extra innings wins that the Red Sox have enjoyed and the idea that this streak like many streaks would come to an end with a bump at some point.  Perhaps it is already happening (fingers crossed).

If the Karma reference had too many religious overtones for your taste or for some other reason then feel free to use the term antichance or something else if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Way to spin the gravitas of your original post.

Are you really so unaware of the recent Red Sox record where they are frequenly down by four, five or even six runs early and then come back to win, or their recent record of extra innings games all of which have ended up as wins?  If you are not then I suggest that you have not been following the race at all over the last month.  It is not my job to dig up those stats for you.

For my part I feel like you made the conscious decision to parachute into this thread with a douchey comment.   I don't know you from Adam and I anticipate no potential obstacles to the idea that we can avoid engaging one another from this point forward.  And with that you are welcome to the last word.

Well if all you meant that their playing karma has run out, then fine. I thought you were referring to the “scandal” of the “sign stealing”. I am well aware that the Red Sox have had success in comebacks and extra innings. What that has to do with the postseason is really negligible.

If you had just answered my original question without assuming I read all of your previous posts with great attention, then we wouldn’t have wound up here. There was nothing douchey or ridiculous about my original question. It’s unfortunate that you reacted so poorly but I’ll be happy to avoid a conversation with you moving forward as it’s obviously beneath me and not worth my time. Good luck against the Twins in the one game playoff. 

21 hours ago, EM31 said:

Agreed and in spades.

More kids to come.

Maybe Bird and Sanchez get a full year next year.

Added pitching depth at the deadline but good for more than this year.

Dayyaunm Cashman.... this rebuild looks like it might be one for the ages.

Huge if, but if Bird can be healthy for a full year, they might really go nuts next year with Judge and Sanchez.  Even if Judge calms down and only hits 30-35, Sanchez can certainly do that.

This team right now is as healthy as it has been all year.   Hicks back, if Warren can get a couple innings in, deepest bullpen I have ever seen.

Amazing season by Severino.  14-6 with a 2.98 ERA.  He had 16 starts giving up 1 run or less (best in MLB this season).  Bullpen blew 5 games in which Severino left the game with a late lead.  In 11 starts the Yanks scored 2 runs or less.

Kluber (Cy Young lock) and Sale have been great, but Severino has been right up there.

17 hours ago, SMC said:

Amazing season by Severino.  14-6 with a 2.98 ERA.  He had 16 starts giving up 1 run or less (best in MLB this season).  Bullpen blew 5 games in which Severino left the game with a late lead.  In 11 starts the Yanks scored 2 runs or less.

Kluber (Cy Young lock) and Sale have been great, but Severino has been right up there.

Remember when people gave up on him as a starter and said, "Just chuck him in the pen!"

22 hours ago, chirorob said:

Remember when people gave up on him as a starter and said, "Just chuck him in the pen!"

Yeah, but you never can give up on a 23 yr old power arm (people try to make the Mariano comparison, but people forget he was a older rookie because he had injury issues in the minors).

Gray spit the bit last night and killed any chance at the division.  I'm not broken up about it because I think the Yanks are lined up well for the WC game and the series against the beat up Astros.  Hopefully Gray cleansed out the Betances in him and will throw strikes from here on out.

18 hours ago, SMC said:

Yeah, but you never can give up on a 23 yr old power arm (people try to make the Mariano comparison, but people forget he was a older rookie because he had injury issues in the minors).

Gray spit the bit last night and killed any chance at the division.  I'm not broken up about it because I think the Yanks are lined up well for the WC game and the series against the beat up Astros.  Hopefully Gray cleansed out the Betances in him and will throw strikes from here on out.

That was bad on Gray.   Tanaka gave hope for the playoffs.  Not for catching the Red Sox, but for going forward.   That dude is so up and down, if he can pitch well, it would be huge.

Great season for the Yanks.  91 wins with 1 to play.  Frankly, I was glad Sawx won today.  I didn't want to see the play-in game where we had to burn Severino and have everyone play tomorrow and Monday, which would put the chances of winning the WC in jeopardy if they lost the play-in game on Monday.

I'm feeling good about Severino for Tuesday.  Even with this last bad start, having Gray in Game 1 isn't bad, followed by Tanaka, Severino and CC.

52 homers for Judge.  Incredible.

On 9/30/2017 at 9:16 PM, SMC said:

Great season for the Yanks.  91 wins with 1 to play.  Frankly, I was glad Sawx won today.  I didn't want to see the play-in game where we had to burn Severino and have everyone play tomorrow and Monday, which would put the chances of winning the WC in jeopardy if they lost the play-in game on Monday.

I'm feeling good about Severino for Tuesday.  Even with this last bad start, having Gray in Game 1 isn't bad, followed by Tanaka, Severino and CC.

52 homers for Judge.  Incredible.

Agree.    1 game is crazy.   Anyone can beat anyone in one game.

Yanks missed out on the division by 2 games and only have to look back on those 23 blown saves out of the bullpen this season, the majority of them coming in the first part of the season (they blew 6 games alone for Severino).  That was why they din't win the division.  Clippard was a disaster and Betances was horrible for long stretches.  Chapman had health issues, but we've seen the difference when he's healthy.

1 minute ago, gqxluvx said:

Well a very fun unexpected playoff season.  Wild card games always scare me, but I'm going to the game so fingers crossed.

That's awesome!  Have fun!

Yeah, these do-or-die games are nuts.  I keep going over it in my head.  Scoring early for the Yanks is the key IMO.  If Severino shuts the Twins down in the first 2 innings and the Yanks can score 2 or 3 runs, I think they can coast to victory because the pressure will increase with every inning for the Twins.  The same, conversely, will work against the Yanks if the Twins score first against Severino.  The Yankee bats can get tight real quick then.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm no Yankee fan, but this is why the Wild Card round should be a Best-of-3.  I don't think a 162-game season should come down to just 1 game for any playoff-worthy team.  

Yeah 2 of 3 is the way to go. Girardi said that as well. No off days. It gives the wild card more of a chance and it gives the division winners an advantage (rest).

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Just got my ticket and going to the game tonight. :D

Should be fun. NYC  always  gets pumped for October Baseball in the Bronx!

Great game! That had to be fun being there. The stadium was loud.

Very loud!

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah 2 of 3 is the way to go. Girardi said that as well. No off days. It gives the wild card more of a chance and it gives the division winners an advantage (rest).

Yep.  And allows the division winners to set up their pitching too. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol exactly. 

I think as I've gotten older I also don't hate much anymore.  Except the Patriots.  F*ck them. 

Yes, those old wounds will never go away. I agree with you about aging.....will be 60 this December. Have definitely mellowed with the years, although the wife would certainly dispute that! 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also have to say from the perspective of a Yankee Hater, this is the most likable Yankee team since 1996. 

It really is but man do I hate the Yankees.  Are their fans the biggest fair weather fans on the planet?

I've spent a lot of time in the city the past few years and it was all Mets until it looked liked the Yankees were playoff bound.

Just now, JiF said:

It really is but man do I hate the Yankees.  Are their fans the biggest fair weather fans on the planet?

I've spent a lot of time in the city the past few years and it was all Mets until it looked liked the Yankees were playoff bound.

There's one simple, incontrovertible truth in sports:  Every fanbase of a franchise that wins has tons of bandwagon fans.  Some are worse than others, and since the Yankees are an international brand, they probably have the most. 

Just like when the Jets win, NYC becomes a Jets town (because it doesn't happen often), NYC becomes a Mets town when the Mets win.  It's a matter of expectations. 

Archived