2017 New York Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brutal loss of Torres, but at least he's not a pitcher and its his non-throwing arm.  He should be back for spring training next year.  Heck, he could be ready for the Fall League.

The thing is, this losing streak and the loss of Torres puts this season back in perspective.  Cashman isn't going to give up the kids for a quick fix.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Tooooough break on Torres. I have been starting to enjoy the Yanks again and was looking forward to seeing that kid play.

When was the last time that happened to someone not throwing a ball?

How long will he be out for with that?  I know a pitcher, 12-18 months, but it's non throwing.   How does that affect his swing?

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

How long will he be out for with that?  I know a pitcher, 12-18 months, but it's non throwing.   How does that affect his swing?

If it's not his dominant arm it's obviosuly not as big a deal.  All your power as a hitter comes from your core, back and wrists.  Let the kid recover and sit he wasn't probably going to get called up until middle of next season anyway

Yanks may be living a bit of charmed life here.  They're reeling from a 6 game losing streak and the rash of injuries, but the Sawx lost again last night, this time against the Royals, and remain .5 game back and the Yanks are up 2 in the loss column.

If they can right the ship now with this homestand they should still be in 1st place by the All-Star break.

16 hours ago, chirorob said:

WebMD has a good article on this, but mainly about pitchers.  http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/tommy-john-surgery-ucl-reconstruction#1

Torres will avoid Phase III of recovery because that has to do with the throwing program.  The first 2 phases are 4 to 5 months, so there is a possibility that he could play in the Fall League in December/January before Spring Training starts in February 2018.

Ive never seen a player improve so much from the minors to the majors as Judge has done. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Usually the majors are much harder than the minors, being much better pitching and all. I really hope he doesn't get busted for PED's. Is there any chance he's not using them??

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Ive never seen a player improve so much from the minors to the majors as Judge has done. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Usually the majors are much harder than the minors, being much better pitching and all. I really hope he doesn't get busted for PED's. Is there any chance he's not using them??

Such a hater

11 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Judge's improvement isn't odd.  It follows the same trajectory all the way from high school.  He initially struggles, then improves.  Plus, he changed is stance from last year and shortened his swing.  Anyone who follows the Yanks would know that and see the difference from last year.

8 hours ago, SMC said:

Judge's improvement isn't odd.  It follows the same trajectory all the way from high school.  He initially struggles, then improves.  Plus, he changed is stance from last year and shortened his swing.  Anyone who follows the Yanks would know that and see the difference from last year.

Ahh, that must be it, the stance change. That clears it up.

Was at the game last night, the whole stadium was groaning as soon as Clippard came in to pitch the 7th.  Clippard has single handedly cost them 5 games.  

Yanks were due for a losing streak but I wasnt expecting them to lost the bad teams like the Angels and A's.  

22 hours ago, NoBowles said:

He's lost weight from last year.  

4 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Was at the game last night, the whole stadium was groaning as soon as Clippard came in to pitch the 7th.  Clippard has single handedly cost them 5 games.  

Yanks were due for a losing streak but I wasnt expecting them to lost the bad teams like the Angels and A's.  

Call the A's see what they want for Ryan Madson

5 minutes ago, Blackout said:

it's gonna be nice when Harper and Machado are Yankees next year 

I don't think Harper is coming.   If wonder boy didn't need Tommy John, and could play 3rd this year, I don't think they'd do anything other then maybe improve first base.

It looks like the June Swoon has hit the Yanks (the older Yankee fans will remember that from the Donnie Baseball Era).

It's funny how the 162 season is the great equalizer in sports and will always expose a team's weaknesses.  Going into the season the biggest question mark was the starting rotation and we fooled a bit into a false sense of security as the staff overperformed.  Now there is a "market correction" and the staff has come down to earth.  The bullpen is still solid mainly because it is just Clippard who is underperforming.

We still have a month away before the trade deadline.  If the Yanks fall more out of first by then I am steadfastly against making a move to try to get this team to the postseason.  Cahsman has been smart enough to see the long term plan and I believe he'll stick with that.  There's no frontline starter available so trading a blue chip prospect for a No. 2 or No. 3 starter would be a bad move.

56 minutes ago, thadude said:

I'd rather get Darvish and Otani

Yeah, the Yanks should go for pitching.  Harper and Machado won't be FA until 2019, so a lot can happen by then.

Jose Fernandez (RIP) if he had lived and was drug free would have been the perfect FA pursuit.

Regression to the mean for a lot of the lineup, except Judge and Sanchez, who are legit young stars.

I don't believe Cashman will give up top prospects to salvage this season if it comes to that.  He didn't do that a couple of seasons ago so he wouldn't do it now.  BTW, at the time, the deal on the table was Severino, Judge and Sanchez for Upton and Heyward from Atlanta.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Regression to the mean for a lot of the lineup, except Judge and Sanchez, who are legit young stars.

I don't believe Cashman will give up top prospects to salvage this season if it comes to that.  He didn't do that a couple of seasons ago so he wouldn't do it now.  BTW, at the time, the deal on the table was Severino, Judge and Sanchez for Upton and Heyward from Atlanta.

Before season started, I hoped for a 86-88 win season.   That is still totally doable.

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Is what he is let some other team waste $80 million on him next Winter

Absolutely.  No way the Yanks can commit long term to Pineda.  He's simply unreliable.

Archived