So Does Penn State's Success Mean That Hackenberg Sucks?

SAR I

I don't watch college football and I'm not close enough to the sanction situation, just wondering if Hackenberg's removal from the Penn State football program led to their success or if there is another reason.  Would hate to think their quarterback was holding them back and we drafted him.

SAR I

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jets rooter said:

The main reason hackenberg looked terrible.Was thet penn states offensive line was terrible.He had no time to pass and had to hurry his passes constently..

Good thing they brought in 5 new senior olineman who were all 100 times better than one year ago.  :P

32 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lol only Jets fans hate players and call them busts before they have taken a single snap in the NFL Lets give it a couple years

Not at all.  I am wondering if there were other factors that led to their ascension, I don't wish any ill towards Hackenberg at all.

SAR I

Penn State's O line is much better than last year. Franklin also was trying to pound a square peg in a round hole with the scheme he was trying to run on offense. This year he has a new coordinator that is complimenting the mobile QB he has now but the last two years he tried that kind of a spread system with Hack and he's just not that guy. That probably made Hack and PSU look worse than it was and probably stunted his growth as opposed to Obrien staying. Mcsorely's and PSU's success probably has more to do with scheme fit than it does with overall talent.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I don't watch college football and I'm not close enough to the sanction situation, just wondering if Hackenberg's removal from the Penn State football program led to their success or if there is another reason.  Would hate to think their quarterback was holding them back and we drafted him.

SAR I

that's a good point.  i guess college teams can turn on a dime from one season to the next.  just how many of the oline has carried over from hack's time to now?

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Did Tom Brady's success mean that Bledsoe sucked?

yes.  bledsoe was just not as good as many people thought.  he never got away from the belief that he could throw the ball into coverage and was prone to making the big mistakes.  brady may not complete all of his passes but it's rare when he's throwing to someone who's covered, especially if there's a better choice out there.

All but a few colleges are going with simple spread one read schemes and relying on athleticism, particularly from big name schools that can recruit athletes that want to play in a simple system.

Hackenberg went to play with Bill O'Brien in a pro style steam that unfortunately relatively few college teams play anymore.  

The theory is that Hack's 2 years of spread counteracted his one year of very valuable NFL quality college experience.

I think the coaching structure of the Jets right now really makes it very difficult to know how good alot of the players they have are-Hack, Petty, Mauldin, Jenkins, Macdougle, Middleton, Martin.

Bowles needs a real boss to call him out on this stuff and try and fix it.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lol only Jets fans hate players and call them busts before they have taken a single snap in the NFL Lets give it a couple years

Thank you!!

Collectively we can't be this silly!!

Folks want to stop and insult players even before they have played a down in a real game!!

Utter nonsense!!

During the Hackenberg era they were so thin at oline that they had to convert d lineman to try to play oline. That's the reality of the situation. Hackenberg is truly mechanically flawed but he's a football brain with lots of physical talent. If the jets can fix his mechanics then this could turn out great, if they can't he will be inconsistent but you will see flashes of greatness that will frustrate you when all of a sudden he looks bad because he's not stepping up or setting his feet.

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

Collectively we can't be this silly!!

Folks want to stop and insult players even before they have played a down in a real game!!

Utter nonsense!!

Penn State went from 7-6 to 11-2 under a new quarterback.  Just wanted to know if the quarterback was the primary reason for the improvement.

What I've learned today is:

1.  Sanctions ended.

2.  New OC with passing-friendly offense.

3.  Rebuilt beast OL.

I am relieved to know that moving on from Hackenberg wasn't the reason for the improvement.

That is all.

SAR I

The Penn State team is essentially like last year's Jets. 

They got killed by Michigan, lost to Pittsburgh.  

They beat a Michigan State team that was terrible this year, Ohio State was a legit win, and Wisconsin was a great win.  I count two good wins for them, the rest are conference fodder like Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, etc.

Franklin is mainly known for recruiting, and now that the sanctions are off, they will have some players.  The problem is that he never gets over the hump, and reverts back to being bad when facing good teams.  At Vandy, similar feelings happened at the start.  They did better than expected, everyone thought Franklin would make Vandy a legit threat in the SEC, and then they fell apart.  They would beat bad teams, and then struggle vs. good teams.  

I'd wait to see how they do next year against good teams before we commence their big turn around.   

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Penn State went from 7-6 to 11-2 under a new quarterback.  Just wanted to know if the quarterback was the primary reason for the improvement.

1.  Sanctions ended.

3.  Rebuilt beast OL.

I am relieved to know that moving on from Hackenberg wasn't the reason for the improvement.

That is all.

SAR I

Also you should note that Tennessee won a national title the year after Peyton Manning left. The GREAT Tee Martin was able to do what Peyton couldn't do with virtually the same team. Why? In college, teams change from year to year. Not to  mention that some teams run offenses that are more suitable to mobile QBs. 

I am a huge PSU fan (that's a little upset today) that loves Mcsorley, but he is not a pocket passer. A pure pocket passer like Hack just didn't work in the scheme Franklin wanted to run. Franklin an Hack were never on the same page. I am not sold on Hack, but he has the tools to be a franchise QB. I am willing to see what he can do with a real Head Coach

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

YOUR FACE IS CONFERENCE FODDER

Lol, that's the best offense I've seen from Rutgers this year!!

I wonder why Rutgers can't recruit, there isn't really any competition in the nearby area.  Out of state teams come and raid the talent.  

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  Sanctions ended.

3.  Rebuilt beast OL.

That is all.

SAR I

You pretty much have to have no idea how the game of football is played to even ask your original question. 

Archived