Gruden: Glennon is a guy to keep an eye on, good young player

drdetroit

3 hours ago, JiF said:

What are the options outside of the draft?

Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, RG III (maybe), Mark Sanchez, Fitz, is Jimmy G a Free Agent? 

I see nothing wrong with giving Glennon a shot.

Romo - doesn't want to come here and will last maybe 2 plays behind our ol

Cutler - just got surgery on his throwing shoulder and is a headcase

RG3 - sucks

gartoplo - yeah right

My only concern is I can see Arizona and Bruce Arians going after Glennon

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Does 'talent' actually include giving  a sh*t?  Because most of our 'talent' have awful attitudes and don't give a rats ass.

This team is full value for being bottom 5 and the defense and specials are easily as much to blame as the crap Qb play.

I'm sure having noodle arm scrub as the starting qb had no effect on morale

The team actually played hard once Petty got on the field

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I'm sure having noodle arm scrub as the starting qb had no effect on morale

The team actually played hard once Petty got on the field

Yeah the defense that was going to 'check out' if petty was at qb rose to the occasion of only giving up 40 plus points.

Being up 41 to 3 or whatever it was has a tendency for teams to not try to hard.  Qb as lousy as it is was about 1/4 of the problem of that debacle last night as much as some brainiacs would like to believe otherwise.

8 hours ago, prime21 said:

Sheldon for Glennon and a pick.  

This is assuming that they really will trade Sheldon.

This is what again some of us said this summer and folks responded that Sheldon was to "valuable"; and in FF he might be, but in the land where competent QB is king the Jets IMO should have explored this possibility.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

heard Adam Schein say this morning the Jets had offered Mo Wilk for Glennon straight up but ended up pulling the offer...

THIS IS WHY WE ARE ALWAYS TWO STEPS BEHIND!!!

WHY PULL THE OFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you post this other than to TORTURE ME!!!! :)

38 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Brett Favre, your boy Rich Gannon 

r Gannon wasn't a young Qb when he came to the Raiders.( older veteran)  I don't know what Gruden did for Brett Favre.   He was offensive assistant in 1992 with Packers, and Wr coach in 1993 .( really developed Favre as a Qb). Go ask any Raider or Tampabay fan what YOUNG Qb he ever developed.

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2 back to back AFC Championship games part of his resume here way more successful than Fitzpatrick.

you can't live in the past, what has he done lately.  could not even beat out a 7th round qb in denver.

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Haha, I did try at first, but this fanbase would prefer to argue over why the Bucs drafted Winston rather than just looking at tape.

Us Jets fans deserve what we have. 

Hey villain do you have a recommendation for what to look at for glennon? I've seen some breakdowns but it was mostly negative. Looking for something that shows more of his potential upside 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

r Gannon wasn't a young Qb when he came to the Raiders.( older veteran)  I don't know what Gruden did for Brett Favre.   He was offensive assistant in 1992 with Packers, and Wr coach in 1993 .( really developed Favre as a Qb). Go ask any Raider or Tampabay fan what YOUNG Qb he ever developed.

Gannon was a career backup and JAG before Gruden turned him into a top 5 qb.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah the defense that was going to 'check out' if petty was at qb rose to the occasion of only giving up 40 plus points.

Being up 41 to 3 or whatever it was has a tendency for teams to not try to hard.  Qb as lousy as it is was about 1/4 of the problem of that debacle last night as much as some brainiacs would like to believe otherwise.

You Fitz apologists astonish me.  

He has been by far the worst starting QB in the league, 2/3 of the league's backups would be an UPGRADE over Fitz to include Glennon and yes he is mostly to blame for this turd of a season.

It amazes me how Sanchez and Geno got crucified here but 40% of Jets fans still defend Fitz because - well- I dunno.

If Mac and Bowles are not fired, I think they have no choice but to sign Glennon. I have always liked him, and was hoping we would pass on Geno earlier in the draft and pick him up in the 3rd round. I am not convinced he is a franchise guy, but I think he clearly is the best of the options out there and he has the most upside, young, strong arm, some experience.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If Mac and Bowles are not fired, I think they have no choice but to sign Glennon. I have always liked him, and was hoping we would pass on Geno earlier in the draft and pick him up in the 3rd round. I am not convinced he is a franchise guy, but I think he clearly is the best of the options out there and he has the most upside, young, strong arm, some experience.

I wanted Glennon in 2013 I even started a thread on JI during the draft about the jets taking him and TE Zach Ertz after we picked Richardson and Milliner in rd 1.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I wouldn't say there's no choice but to sign glennon. he's still basically a prospect and I'm assuming he signs for something like what chase daniel did, 3/21

I would like to address the "why Mike Glennon question.
Folks this franchise has been signing old washed up veterans for far too long. See our resigning of Fitzpatrick when so many of the stupid fans knew damn well he was too limited to lead this team against a tough schedule.
We have not developed a young franchise QB in years. Always throwing them to the wolves way too early or not developing them properly.

Here are the reasons why Mike Glennon is the right choice at this time. First off he's young healthy, and a big strong kid. He has an arm that can make every throw you need to make as a quarterback in the NFL. He has starting experience and has won games with pretty awful teams. He has more experience than any quarterback we have on the team presently with the exception of Fitzpatrick and he'll be gone and Geno who's future is undetermined, but most likely moving on.
Does any of this guaranteed success, of course not but compared to the alternative's old washed up injury prone quarterbacks,Glennon's upside is light years ahead of any of them.
Offer him a fair 3 year deal and tell him he has that much time to prove he was the right choice. By that time either Hack or Petty should be ready to roll and lead this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Gannon was a career backup and JAG before Gruden turned him into a top 5 qb.

Age has absolutely nothing to do with it.

I think the Raiders having one of the best offense lines at the time, and  Gruden designing an offense that fit Gannon skill set  was more a factor for R Gannon success .    Sure J Gruden gets credit for bringing 31 year old Rich Gannon to Oakland to be his Qb , but being right one time in his career doesn't make him a Qb Guru either. ( just because BSPN gives him Qb show doesn't makes him an expert. Even I'm right once in awhile.

His handpicked successor to Rich Gannon was Marques Tuiasosopo( garbage) and him thinking Johnny Manziel should be the Raiders pick .( disqualifies his judgement on Qb's.   In Tampabay he drafted young Qb's , and he ruined everyone of them. ( Gruden always prefered veteran players over young players.( Qb was no different). 

11 hours ago, cant wait said:

Hey villain do you have a recommendation for what to look at for glennon? I've seen some breakdowns but it was mostly negative. Looking for something that shows more of his potential upside 

This is my breakdown from two years ago. 

Also, go back and look at Glennon's last game this season against the Falcon's when he replaced Winston. He went 10-11 for 75 yards, a TD, and a 2pt conversion and 91% comp rate on his one and only drive. 

Many people stated that "It was during garbage time and the defense was playing prevent". Well, that doesnt matter. He took what the defense gave him and marched down the field for a TD which is the point when on the field. Meanwhile, Bryce Petty has thrown multiple INT's when teams were in prevent defenses and Jets fans havent said much of anything about the fact that he did that against teams in prevent (1 int against the Rams prevent and 2 this past Monday night).

Furthermore, speaking of prevent defense and "taking what the defense gives you", Petty completely ignored receivers that could have converted 1st downs in order to throw a deep pass that ended up being intercepted. Check this out. 

https://youtu.be/fKL1HakYsIA?t=43s

Not only is Bryce Petty inaccurate with his deep ball, but he's ignoring what the defense is giving him. Not only did he overthrow Anderson on that INT, but if that pass was absolutely on target that safety would have left Anderson "laid out" on the field given that Anderson would have been running full speed into a hit. So in otherwords...Robby Anderson was covered and that ball should have been dumped off. That play was 2nd and 3 and he had two wide open receivers at the 1st down marker and he completely ignored these wide open receivers in order to throw into double coverage for an interception. He also threw (tossed) a terrible screen pass that if the defender was paying attention could have been a pick 6 easily. Petty's last INT he completely pre-determined that he was going to Robby Anderson and the ball got picked by the underneath defender. All that was during a prevent defense. Mike Glennon goes 10-11 with his only incompletion being a drop if im correct, with the drive ending in a TD and a successful 2pt conversion and Jets fans call it "garbage time" given prevent, meanwhile Petty has thrown 3 picks during "prevent garbage time", floated numerous "would-be" TD's for incompletions to Robby Anderson as well as locking on to his targets and ignoring underneath guys who are wide open to convert for 1st downs only to throw deep interceptions. 

The best thing that I can tell you is to ignore every good/bad thing that you've heard about Mike Glennon, and simply watch those football games. Dont just watch Glennon, but watch the offensive line and his targets in order to see what Mike Glennon had to actually work with, and I believe that you'll come to the conclusion that Mike Glennon WAS NOT the Buccaneers problem. Im not saying that drafting Winston was a mistake, I think Winston is an overall better talent, but with that said...Mike Glennon is a starting caliber QB in this league, especially when you take into account guys who've started this season such as Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert, Jared Goff, "The immortal" Brock Osweiler etc. 

Mike Glennon has the talent to be a top 15 QB in this league, there's no doubt in my mind about that. He will more than likely never be elite (top 5) and he probably will never be at top 10 QB, but he's a 2nd tier QB that you can sign and be comfortable with what he brings to the table. Thats coming from a guy who's taken the time out to watch every single snap Glennon has taken as a professional and not just saying "well, he cant be good because the Bucs drafted Winston". There's a difference between the two points. 

11 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

He even said he thinks Geno shows promise...is he a drug user?

Yea, Gruden had a lot to say on MNF, offer him the Jets coaching job so he can put his money where his mouth is. These guys have all the answers.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sadly, that would never happen.

How many pass attempts does Daniel even have as a pro?

We're probably signing Cutler in the offseason and keeping Bowles

If you look at Bowles his tenure is a carbon copy of Mangini's.  Wins 10 games his first season with an easy schedule, gets exposed badly second year and third year we bring in the big name qb who gets injured

47 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We're probably signing Cutler in the offseason and keeping Bowles

If you look at Bowles his tenure is a carbon copy of Mangini's.  Wins 10 games his first season with an easy schedule, gets exposed badly second year and third year we bring in the big name qb who gets injured

Except Cutler is not a big name QB. 

Archived