Casserly Covering his Tracks

Gangrene

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It looks daunting for sure - but a lot can happen in a year. Coaching changes, injuries, free agency, etc.

This team needs a full, 4 year rebuild.  Anything less will fail.  The goal should be sustainable success and winning the AFCE regularly when Brady retires.  I have zero interest in composing a one or two year roster with a  10-6 wildcard ceiling.  They dont win titles.  Haven't you seen that show before? Why would you want to see it again?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah well you probably saw some of the coaching things before they unfolded. Where I made a mistake is just looking at the talent on the roster. I didn't realize that they were such bad scheme fits and the coaching was so inept that it wouldnt adapt.

This is roster is as bad as the 96 Kotite Jets.

Nobody believes me; until they look at the 96 roster.

Key, Wayne, Mo, Marvin, Hugh, Mickens, Glenn, Richie A, Jumbo, Victor, O'Dwyer

One could easily make an argument to trade the current roster for the group above.  The above were leaders on the team. The 2016 group has too many jerkoffs.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is roster is as bad as the 96 Kotite Jets.

Nobody believes me; until they look at the 96 roster.

Key, Wayne, Mo, Marvin, Hugh, Mickens, Glenn, Richie A, Jumbo, Victor, O'Dwyer

One could easily make an argument to trade the current roster for the group above.  The above were leaders on the team. The 2016 group has too many jerkoffs.

The 96 roster was not bad and neither is this one. You had a lot of players that fit one scheme or another. It's actually very similar to this years problems.

Wilk and Sheldon used to be dominant, I believe a new coach that they can relate to can restore them to greatness.
Pryor is out of position or out of scheme if you want to look at it that way, Enunwa can be even more effective if we have a new head coach who values the tight end as a passing option.
SAR I

To me, that sounds like you want a new coach to babysit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This team needs a full, 4 year rebuild.  Anything less will fail.  The goal should be sustainable success and winning the AFCE regularly when Brady retires.  I have zero interest in composing a one or two year roster with a  10-6 wildcard ceiling.  They dont win titles.  Haven't you seen that show before? Why would you want to see it again?

With the advent of free agency, no one rebuilds for 4 years. You need to remain competitive most years.

I dont see Casserly deflecting blame in the video. I do see an honest assessment, something we all know. This team had no good players in their prime when the new regime took over, none. They had to trade or sign veterans with little gas left for starting positions. There was no foundation or nucleus. 10-6 was a miracle last year. But, this year Bowles and Mac deserve all the blame they get. 

They bought into the overhyped team. And if Woody pushed them to this, they should have had the balls to say this team needs a true rebuild. When Rex took over for Mangini he had a team with about 8 pro bowlers and the roster had players in their prime or coming into their prime.

We havent even laid the foundation of this rebuild yet. Mac should stay. Bowles 50-50 on, dont care either way at this point cause we're gonna suck next year anyway.

With the advent of free agency, no one rebuilds for 4 years. You need to remain competitive most years.

I agree, there are way to competitively rebuild. It offers the chance, keyword, for success but if it falls apart one year, you don't go around firing everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

To me, that sounds like you want a new coach to babysit.

Sad to say, but that's a fact of life in football these days.

All the reasons that Pete Carroll wasn't a good fit for the Jets in 1994 is what makes him a great coach for the Seahawks today.  They call it "relateabilty", the method of connecting with today's rich/spoiled/arrogant/lazy Millennial athlete.  I don't know what makes Wilkerson and Richardson tick, but whatever it is we need a head coach that can close that synapse and make them play to their abilities again.

SAR I

21 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Casserly empathic today on NFL.com "this is a major rebuilding job not a firing situation"

He  omits to mention he was heavily involved in the formation of the current Jets regime

Now he is blaming talent, saying that was the problem all along.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000752708/Casserly-on-Jets-loss-This-is-a-major-rebuilding-job

How is this Casserly covering his tracks? I completely agree with his statements. I sometimes see fans post here how the team us underperforming to the talent level. I just don't see it. This team looks more like a bottom 5 roster 

8 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

How is this Casserly covering his tracks? I completely agree with his statements. I sometimes see fans post here how the team us underperforming to the talent level. I just don't see it. This team looks more like a bottom 5 roster 

My point is that he makes these very public announcements that the coach is not the problem while not taking ownership of his involvement in the selection of a coach, .

If you are going to proclaim from the rooftops that the roster sucks not the coach, a simultaneous disclosure at the time stated that you were a paid consultant in that coach search is akin to covering your tracks. It is disingenuous at the very least.

Give me:

Matt Patricia

Jim Schwartz

Tom Coughlin

Anthony Lynn

that's my short list right now. Yes, Lynn is a surprise, but he's getting looks as a HC for a reason. Look what he's done with that offense in Buffalo where it's essentially Shady and a bunch of scrubs. Charles Clay, Robert Woods, and Marquise Goodwin? And they're putting points up EVERY week post Roman. 

10 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Other than my loyalty to the Jets, I am a nihilist, so in truth nothing matters.

However, when I mess up, I take ownership. I could respect Casserly if he admitted that he was involved in the hiring process.

As I said there are no guarantees.  That he made a recommendation doesn't mean we get winning seasons every year of his employment.  There really isn't ownership to be taken.  Everyone knows he was part of the process, don't think he's hiding anything.  

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

32 job opportunities in the NFL for a head coaching position. 

Job opening, they will come. 

Do you know how many top candidates have said that they would rather "wait for the right opportunity" than "just take any job" in the past?  An opening doesn't guarantee sh*t.

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

Give me:

Matt Patricia

Jim Schwartz

Tom Coughlin

Anthony Lynn

that's my short list right now. Yes, Lynn is a surprise, but he's getting looks as a HC for a reason. Look what he's done with that offense in Buffalo where it's essentially Shady and a bunch of scrubs. Charles Clay, Robert Woods, and Marquise Goodwin? And they're putting points up EVERY week post Roman. 

Patricia - Nvm the fact that he would never take it because of the whole BB connection, I'd rather take McDaniels if we had a choice of NE coordinators.

Schwartz - Kill me.

Coughlin - He's going to Jacksonville.

Lynn - Eh.  I wouldn't be thrilled.  Yes Buffalo has done some good things, but he hasn't even been doing it a full year which means teams haven't been given a full chance to study his offense and make adjustments.  There's just not enough of a body of work for me to be comfortable with that.  For all we know, he returns as Buffalo's OC next year and everyone figures him out.

My list of guys I would want (and many would require firings) are McCarthy, Bill O'Brien, Kyle Shanahan, Doug Marrone, and as a desperate heave and a prayer: Jon Gruden.  Honestly, I'm not even thrilled with my own list, minus 2-3 names.

Casserly should rebuild his toupee.  Stay out of our business. You've done enough and caused enough trouble.  We didn't win 10 games last year on sheer luck. A few pieces here a few pieces there, a legit QB, supplant that with a few constructive free agents and we are back. Mac needs to hit on this year's draft and free agency pool.  We are not as bad as you may think. This team has tons of talent.  Overall, however, it lacks consistency and passion.  Bowles and Mac need to both grow a pair and we can turn this around in a year or two. And if they do , does that make Casserly a genius for qualifying these 2 clowns? No but it gets him a commercial with hair club for men. 

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No doubt but for me records are never Independent of actually what is happening on a team and what you should be doing.

If the Jets go 7-9 next year and have cleaned house of most of the lazy, dumb ass deadwood, are in a true rebuild and Bowles cleans up some of his dumb stuff I'll be happy enough.

If the Jets go 7-9 and do not go total rebuild I'll be pissed and see that record for what it is.

It's like last rex 8-8 year which was a total aberration.  The team was getting destroyed in their loses and won a couple of games on dumb luck, they were a lousy 8-8 team with a lousy coach trending downward, people did not see if for what it was.

You just hit on a major reason to not bring Bowles back. He did such a poor job this year that he's set the bar for himself so lowly that another year of poor coaching could still be construed as reason for optimism and yet another season. 

Say we finish about 4-12 this year, give or take. Next year we finish 7-9 as you say (or even 8-8), largely behind the shuffling of current/bad expensive players for newer/better expensive players. Despite his many 2017 blunders that show he's still a bad coach, enough people will point to the improvement in W/L record as being his improvement. Lost in that rationalization will be the idea that a better HC would have won those same games plus a few more, just like in 2015, and he'll be rewarded with yet another season for 2018.

So the rebuild includes signing washed up players.

If nothing else it gives the young talent players to look up to and learn from. It is unfortunate our big named guys are underperforming but maybe it will still be good for us in the long run.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Signing veterans is fine (not to mention required and necessary). A 4-12 team, however, should never have been in the market for so many aging players on or entering their final serious-money contracts, on top of re-upping a younger, then-redundant one after demonstrating first hand he cares nothing for his team. 

With all that cap room available to Maccagnan we should have been signing young veteran players, and if there weren't enough available to satisfy minimum spending requirements, then pay-forward existing ones to leave the spending room available for the future year(s). 

Too old, or care too little, to sign to the contracts he did:

• Revis ($39M for 2 seasons when the dust settles)
  • Cromartie 
  • Harris
  • Fitzpatrick 2016
  • Forte (also cost a 2017 pick)
  • Wilkerson

Too lousy to sign or retain in the first place:

• Gilchrist
  • Skrine
  • Fitzpatrick 2016 
  • Giacomini
  • Clady (indirectly cost our 2017 4th round pick, roughly pick #100, and gave Maccagnan the excuse to again pass on the position in the draft)
  • Brick on his past contract or if he'd somehow accepted the pay cut to $5M that Mac surely knew he'd reject)
  • Jarvis Jenkins

Smart or merely ok signings:

• Carpenter
  • Powell (or Forte, but not both, since either cost a draft pick). Good to have a receiving back for breaking in a young QB our HC wouldn't let see onto the field or our GM poorly drafted in the first place.
  • Marshall, given the state of our WR corps in March of 2015 and the need to develop a QB (see Powell comment above, how in the end it went to waste. Also overstated, since Chicago offered him to us for next to nothing)
  • McLendon (contract is fine, but didn't like surrendering a draft pick for a low-demand, 30 y.o, NT)
  • Fitz 2015 (however overstated)

The ratio and severity of stupid:smart moves is pretty damning. Such a waste of hard-earned flexibility.

Will anyone be surprised if we bring back Richardson again because no one will pay Maccagnan's typical, unrealistic demand price of a 1st round draft pick or more (or to "pressure" the mega-paid Wilkerson)?

F*** Casserly for both Bowles and Maccagnan. Rather than running a football team, a giant bra would have been a more apt place for a pair of boobs like these two.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:09 PM, joewilly12 said:

Casserly is a clueless old coot who still thinks the players wear leather helmets.

22 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Is that what he has on his head?

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Casserly should rebuild his toupee. 

I logged on for the first time in months to post that and got no recognition!  So disappointing!

casserlykissofdeath.jpg

Aging vets are fine.  They are supposed to be a low money floor.  You are supposed to hope that your rookies will overtake them during the year.  You are not supposed to sign guys to big money 2nd (or 3rd) contracts of more than a year or guys that the coach/fans will feel bad about benching.  Players are supposed to rally behind the coach and the colors, not the journeyman QB. 

14 hours ago, RSJ said:

Pete had his team in the playoffs his first 3 out of 4 years and Harbaugh had a quick turnaround too.. 

Everything is relative. Pete Carroll had them in the playoffs with a 7-9 record. They went 7-9 back to back his first two years. It took about 4 years for that team to be a threat.

Harbaugh definitely took a young and talented team that had no direction and turned them around quick. However, they had idk how many losing seasons prior to his arrival with a lot of high draft picks along the way. 

Thats something we need to accept. Two or three straight losing seasons.

19 hours ago, Gangrene said:

My point is that he makes these very public announcements that the coach is not the problem while not taking ownership of his involvement in the selection of a coach, .

If you are going to proclaim from the rooftops that the roster sucks not the coach, a simultaneous disclosure at the time stated that you were a paid consultant in that coach search is akin to covering your tracks. It is disingenuous at the very least.

Don't we all know Casserly recommended mac and Bowles. From what I got from his statements it felt like it was directed at jet fans. Mac and bowles inherited a bad roster and they need tI'm to right the ship. Now is not the time to fire. I don't think fans outside of the Jets cares about our coaching staff

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Don't we all know Casserly recommended mac and Bowles. From what I got from his statements it felt like it was directed at jet fans. Mac and bowles inherited a bad roster and they need tI'm to right the ship. Now is not the time to fire. I don't think fans outside of the Jets cares about our coaching staff

Casserly is invested in the results of whether they keep the head coach or not. Casserly's resume has one more failure on it if Todd Bowles is fired two seasons in.

Archived