Fitz paying it forward in mentoring young QBs

AFJF

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Agreed, fitz isn't playing any worse than last season. but this is what happens when those "almost interceptions" start getting caught and the competition gets better

He lead the league in interceptable passes last year .. they where just being dropped.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc if hes the GM will select Watson if he's on the board when we pick. Book it. 

No, not happening.  First, we aren't going to be in a position to take him.  Second, we have some very big needs at CB and OL which can help save Maccagan's job more than another teenage QB prospect that's going to take a few years in the incubator.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

That was the plan with the original 4 year 27 million contract the Jets offered Fitz,  12 the first year, and 5 the next 3

In the end, Fitzpatrick banked on himself outplaying his '16 contract and he lost.  He'll be a top backup next year.  Probably here.

SAR I

4 hours ago, cant wait said:

$12M in cap space for a QB coach. yeah what a great signing :rolleyes:

enough with the whole 12M contract.  first thing it's not my money or your money.  the money would've been spent and there is little chance that geno would've done any better given the way things turned out with the oline and secondary.  and teams are required to spend 80% (I think) of their salary cap.

as for fitz being a mentor, maybe yes, maybe no.  no telling how good a teacher he is.  i don't think he ever threw another player under the bus.

and i'm certainly not crying for him.  he's made way more money this past season than most in a lifetime.

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not trying to save Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm merely saying that there's a very good chance he's on the team next year as our backup quarterback and that he'd be a good choice in that role.  Geno busted on his own, it wasn't Fitzpatrick's fault.  Be objective.

SAR I

Geno got injured; if he hadn't there is no way to know how things would have played out. I know you hate the guy but can we be just a little objective?  If Fitzpatrick is on the team next year Bowles or Macc need to be fired.  Time to turn the page on the Bearded wonder. 

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

enough with the whole 12M contract.  first thing it's not my money or your money.  the money would've been spent and there is little chance that geno would've done any better given the way things turned out with the oline and secondary.  and teams are required to spend 80% (I think) of their salary cap.

Fitzpatrick made $3M in 2015.  So in a 2 year period he's averaging $7.5M as a starting NFL quarterback, well below average.

Joe Flacco averaged $20M in the same time span.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Fitzpatrick made $3M in 2015.  So in a 2 year period he's averaging $7.5M as a starting NFL quarterback, well below average.

Joe Flacco averaged $20M in the same time span.

SAR I

Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl in his career Ryan Fitzpatrick has never even made the playoffs see how dumb the Jets were. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Geno got injured; if he hadn't there is no way to know how things would have played out. I know you hate the guy but can we be just a little objective?  If Fitzpatrick is on the team next year Bowles or Macc need to be fired.  Time to turn the page on the Bearded wonder. 

Last time we saw Geno Smith:

2014:  Went 4-12, got Rex Ryan fired, got John Idzik fired.

2015:  Went 0-1, cost us our 11th win and the playoffs.

2016:  Went 0-0, lasted all of 5 minutes.

I think it's pretty clear to see how things would have played out.  We'd be in the same place.

SAR I

Last time we saw Geno Smith:

2014:  Went 4-12, got Rex Ryan fired, got John Idzik fired.

2015:  Went 0-1, cost us our 11th win and the playoffs.

2016:  Went 0-0, lasted all of 5 minutes.

I think it's pretty clear to see how things would have played out.  We'd be in the same place.

SAR I

Where are we?  Exactly where many said we would be another Ryan Fitzpatrick choke job blunder predictable outcome. 

Joe Flacco won a Super Bowl in his career Ryan Fitzpatrick has never even made the playoffs see how dumb the Jets were. 

Last year, Joe Flacco got paid $20M to go 5-11.  Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid $3M to go 10-6.

This year, Joe Flacco got paid $20M to go 7-5. Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid $12M to go 3-7.

Jets got the better end of the financial bargain and won 1 more game to boot.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Where are we?  Exactly where many said we would be another Ryan Fitzpatrick choke job blunder predictable outcome. 

Well then, why did you predict the Jets at 12-4 and "the surprise team of the NFL" back in August? 

I had them at 7-9 with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  You had them at 12-4 with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So are you talking to yourself right now?  Are you getting on a soapbox to remind yourself how wrong you were?

SAR I

Last year, Joe Flacco got paid $20M to go 5-11.  Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid $3M to go 10-6.

This year, Joe Flacco got paid $20M to go 7-5. Ryan Fitzpatrick got paid $12M to go 3-7.

Jets got the better end of the financial bargain and won 1 more game to boot.

SAR I

Losing isn't a bargain last time I checked the object in the NFL was to win a Super Bowl. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a bum another bum on the list of Jets QB's. 

Move on SAR I 

Just now, SAR I said:

Well then, why did you predict the Jets at 12-4 and "the surprise team of the NFL" back in August?

I had them at 7-9 with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  You had them at 12-4 with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

So are you talking to yourself right now?  Are you getting on a soapbox to remind yourself how wrong you were?

SAR I

I had hope and faith in the team I've been supporting for 53 years. 

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Geno got injured; if he hadn't there is no way to know how things would have played out. I know you hate the guy but can we be just a little objective? 

Objectivity means discussing the facts as they are, not as we want or think they should be.

The facts on Geno Smith are thus:

1. As a rookie, he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL

2. As a 2nd year QB he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL.  He failure is in part responsible for the resultant firing of both Rex and Idzik.

3. In his third year he was involved in an avoidable confrontation and lost his season to an injury at the hands of a teammate.  For this reason alone, Fitzpatrick got to start and play.

4. In his fourth year, he failed to effectively beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty in camp or preseason.

5. When his opportunity to play arrived this year, he was hurt barely a few plays in, and done for the season.

6. Throughout his tenure in New York, he has been cited/noted for immaturity, selfishness and other behavioral issues. Missed meetings, sideline ranting, issues with teammates, issues with the media, etc.

7. His time in New York is over, he will be elsewhere in 2017. 

Thats the objective truth about Geno Smith.  Why there is ANY need to continue to discuss him, at this point, I do not understand.

But since you do, and others keep bringing him up, it's probably time for you folks to face reality about him.  Four years in, he is a 100% bust.

Like Fitz, he can be somone else's problem next year.

I had hope and faith in the team I've been supporting for 53 years.

Which is code for "I got fooled by Ryan Fitzpatrick's 31 touchdown season in 2015 because I wasn't paying attention to his entire body of work so now I'm going to pepper the board with anti-Fitzpatrick propaganda in the hopes that no one remembers my awful beliefs just a few short months ago".

-or-

It's code for "I believed so strongly in our defense and our running game that it was never about Ryan Fitzpatrick but I can't accept how bad they are and so I'm going to strafe bomb the board with anti-Fitzpatrick propaganda to convince myself our defense isn't this bad".

So, which is it?

SAR I

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Objectivity means discussing the facts as they are, not as we want or think they should be.

The facts on Geno Smith are thus:

1. As a rookie, he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL

2. As a 2nd year QB he was amongst the worst starting QB's in the NFL.  He failure is in part responsible for the resultant firing of both Rex and Idzik.

3. In his third year he was involved in an avoidable confrontation and lost his season to an injury at the hands of a teammate.  For this reason alone, Fitzpatrick got to start and play.

4. In his fourth year, he failed to effectively beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick or Bryce Petty in camp or preseason.

5. When his opportunity to play arrived this year, he was hurt barely a few plays in, and done for the season.

6. Throughout his tenure in New York, he has been cited/noted for immaturity, selfishness and other behavioral issues. Missed meetings, sideline ranting, issues with teammates, issues with the media, etc.

7. His time in New York is over, he will be elsewhere in 2017. 

Thats the objective truth about Geno Smith.  Why there is ANY need to continue to discuss him, at this point, I do not understand.

But since you do, and others keep bringing him up, it's probably time for you folks to face reality about him.  Four years in, he is a 100% bust.

Like Fitz, he can be somone else's problem next year.

Geno Smith as a rookie still had a better season than Ryan Fitzpatrick has had this season. 

As a second year QB he still had a better season that Ryan Fitzpatrick has had this season. 

He wasnt given a chance to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick because of the locker room assault that took place. 

His opportunity came after Ryan Fitzpatrick struggled desperately and unfortunately he was injured. 

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Which is code for "I got fooled by Ryan Fitzpatrick's 31 touchdown season in 2015 because I wasn't paying attention to his entire body of work so now I'm going to pepper the board with anti-Fitzpatrick propaganda in the hopes that no one remembers my awful beliefs just a few short months ago".

-or-

It's code for "I believed so strongly in our defense and our running game that it was never about Ryan Fitzpatrick but I can't accept how bad they are and so I'm going to strafe bomb the board with anti-Fitzpatrick propaganda to convince myself our defense isn't this bad".

So, which is it?

SAR I

I was never fooled by Ryan Fitzpatrick the team as a whole failed miserably but Ryan Fitzpatrick played the leading role in failure like he usually does. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith as a rookie still had a better season than Ryan Fitzpatrick has had this season. 

As a second year QB he still had a better season that Ryan Fitzpatrick has had this season. 

He wasnt given a chance to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick because of the locker room assault that took place. 

His opportunity came after Ryan Fitzpatrick struggled desperately and unfortunately he was injured. 

And?

As I made very clear, Fitzpatrick is out as well.  

So I'll ask again, and?

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I was never fooled by Ryan Fitzpatrick the team as a whole failed miserably but Ryan Fitzpatrick played the leading role in failure like he usually does.

Back in August, the only way you would believe the Jets could get to 12 wins this year with this schedule would be if Ryan Fitzpatrick played very well at quarterback and/or that our defense was so world-beating that he would only have to be a game manager.

So when you go into thread after thread exclaiming "See!  I told you!  He's not a good quarterback!  He sucks!  It's his fault we are heading towards 4-12!  You should have listened to me!" it sounds extremely disingenuous.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

And? Lets be perfectly clear we agree to disagree. How are you going to react if Geno Smith goes elsewhere and leads his team to success, 

I was going to answer this but I had to shoo away the unicorn and the winged pig in my back yard.

SAR I

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Fitzpatrick is a perfectionist.

Perfectionists don't run around like chickens with their heads cut off and then flip the ball to a blocker who has his back turned to the play.

Perfectionists don't throw ground balls to wide open receivers. 

I'm glad Fitz isn't being a dick-baby to the young guys, but whatever with all the Harvard/perfectionist blabber.

Just now, SAR I said:

Just say you were fooled and you were wrong and you are mad at yourself and Geno Smith and then we can all move on.

SAR I

SAR I Im not mad at anybody I've been down this road many times before its familiar territory. 

Geno Smith didn't cause all this mess and for you to lose money on your tickets Ryan Fitzpatrick,Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan did, be sure to thank them in the Christmas card. 

It's really nice that the jw12 Geno pompom wavers fan club have one last place to crow and try to get a single Jet fan to believe they were right about anything the last two seasons and that the Jets would have been YUUUGELY better if only their beloved hero Genomarcus had started at QB in 2015 and 2016.

Have a great time and wave em proudly. Fortunately the Geno Error as a Jet is OVER FOR GOOD

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I Im not mad at anybody I've been down this road many times before its familiar territory. 

Geno Smith didn't cause all this mess and for you to lose money on your tickets Ryan Fitzpatrick,Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan did, be sure to thank them in the Christmas card. 

Geno Smith was the one domino that caused all the other dominoes to fall.

Geno drafted as our future franchise quarterback ended Sanchez. 
Geno's first season got Rex off the hot seat and into a contract extension. 
Geno's next season needlessly burned draft position and got Rex and Idzik fired.
Geno's inconsistent season burned an important pick and led to the drafting of Petty.
Geno's $600 selfish show-off bully ploy brought us Fitzpatrick.
Geno's inability to show up in Oakland cost us the 2015 playoffs.
Geno's inability to lead or perform burned an important pick and led to the drafting of Hackenberg.
Geno's inability to beat out Fitzpatrick cost us the 2016 season.

This is what happens when you stop investing in a young kid that took you to 6 playoff games, winning 4 of them, and place your bets on a big armed kid from West Virginia who is supposed to be an upgrade.  But isn't.

Two watershed moments in recent Jets history:  The Victor Cruz touchdown that ended the AFC Finalist Jets and the drafting of Geno Smith that ended 2 GM's and 2 head coaches and puts us on a path of 10 years of NFL oblivion.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Geno Smith was the one domino that caused all the other dominoes to fall.

Geno drafted as our future franchise quarterback ended Sanchez. 
Geno's first season got Rex off the hot seat and into a contract extension. 
Geno's next season needlessly burned draft position and got Rex and Idzik fired.
Geno's inconsistent season burned an important pick and led to the drafting of Petty.
Geno's $600 selfish show-off bully ploy brought us Fitzpatrick.
Geno's inability to show up in Oakland cost us the 2015 playoffs.
Geno's inability to lead or perform burned an important pick and led to the drafting of Hackenberg.
Geno's inability to beat out Fitzpatrick cost us the 2016 season.

This is what happens when you stop investing in a young kid that took you to 6 playoff games, winning 4 of them, and place your bets on a big armed kid from West Virginia who is supposed to be an upgrade.  But isn't.

SAR I

Again Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles say hello. 

If blaming Geno Smith gets you through the day have at it. 

joewilly12

Again Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles say hello. 

If blaming Geno Smith gets you through the day have at it.

I am very comfortable knowing that the Geno Smith candy-at-the-checkout-counter impulse buy by John Idzik is what led us to this very depressing December Thursday.  It disturbs me that you believe otherwise.

SAR I

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So is the goal to be better than Ryan Fitzpatrick or win the super bowl as you stated earlier?  I'm confused.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I am very comfortable knowing that the Geno Smith candy-at-the-checkout-counter impulse buy by John Idzik is what led us to this very depressing December Thursday.  It disturbs me that you believe otherwise.

SAR I

FAILURE is Macc and Bowles the brain trust believed in Ryan Fitzpatrick and here we are today 3-9 last place AFC East one of the worst teams in football there is no otherwise.

Archived