The GM bashers need some insight.....

CanadaSteve

2010-2014.  5 NFL drafts with a total of 37 picks.

STARTERS

OFFENSE: 2

1 a 6th round WR (Enunwa)

1 a 3rd round G (Winters)

DEFENSE: 3

2 DT's (Mo and Richardson)

1 average (being generous) S (Pryor)

PLAYERS STILL ON TEAM (Including those starters)

But yet Mac was suppose to turn this team into the Patriots in two years (one of which he was Executive of the Year nominated by the Pro Football Writers Association) and now an alarmingly high number of fans want him replaced.

AND the funny thing about it is, we wonder why this team is mired in mediocrity (which, BTW is inaccurate......we have been quite successful for the past decade by NFL standards)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I have no issues with Mike Maccagnan. I think he is doing as good a job as possible under the conditions.

Again, there are many who understand all this and want to have some dialogue that does not degrade down to FIRE EVERYONE.  The only thing you can do is keep showing others how bad this team really was.  It was a miracle we were as good as we were given how poorly this team has drafted this decade.  No NFL team can compete in the long-term when you whiff for half a decade.

Mac is doing a decent job.  His drafts look ok.  His trades, good.  CA signings, ok,  it you don't know the Woody effect, or the effect of bad coaching.  He deserves more time with a  clear instruction of rebuild, but should be called out for his mistakes.  

This is a big draft.

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I agree. I think the same argument can be made for Bowles too. 

I don't think it's alarming that we took a step back this year under Bowles, I think it is alarming how many steps we took back and the way we did it.  I don't want to fire Bowles, hee has some good qualities to be a good HC but he has a lot of work to do.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

2010-2014.  5 NFL drafts with a total of 37 picks.

STARTERS

OFFENSE: 2

1 a 6th round WR (Enunwa)

1 a 3rd round G (Winters)

DEFENSE: 3

2 DT's (Mo and Richardson)

1 average (being generous) S (Pryor)

PLAYERS STILL ON TEAM (Including those starters)

But yet Mac was suppose to turn this team into the Patriots in two years (one of which he was Executive of the Year nominated by the Pro Football Writers Association) and now an alarmingly high number of fans want him replaced.

AND the funny thing about it is, we wonder why this team is mired in mediocrity (which, BTW is inaccurate......we have been quite successful for the past decade by NFL standards)

great post. just to add.

Blanket Coverage: Todd Bowles should not be blamed for Jets' failures this season

Todd Bowles hasn't been perfect in 2016, but his personnel has let him down. The New York Jets simply aren’t good, and that’s because of past sins—not recent ones.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/08/nfl-week-14-new-york-jets-todd-bowles-coaching

Just now, nyjunc said:

I don't think it's alarming that we took a step back this year under Bowles, I think it is alarming how many steps we took back and the way we did it.  I don't want to fire Bowles, hee has some good qualities to be a good HC but he has a lot of work to do.

I agree. It was definitely alarming. There were lots of steps back - but they also are separating the roster to see who fits and wants to commit to win and who doesn't. Sometimes a year like this can be good.

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I agree. It was definitely alarming. There were lots of steps back - but they also are separating the roster to see who fits and wants to commit to win and who doesn't. Sometimes a year like this can be good.

if we had a ton of young talent gaining experience I would agree it can be good but that's not the case.  Now if Petty shows he is capable then this season can become a success.

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I would prefer not to fire Bowles as well but the last game was alarming to say the least. I need to see the young guys respond over the last four weeks to feel good about the coach moving forward. I dont need wins, I need effort.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

junc

I value your opinion a lot. You know football and you know what you are talking about. Can you elaborate on Bowles' good qualities? I seem to have none. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

if we had a ton of young talent gaining experience I would agree it can be good but that's not the case.  Now if Petty shows he is capable then this season can become a success.

We dont know what we have. Maybe Shell, Burris, Simon, Wilds, Middleton and others can be productive players. We are about to see.

I agree as well. But my argument would be more focused on the good things Macc did rather than how poor the previous GMs were. And he did a lot of good. 

I saw one poster say Macc can't draft- specifying that the players taken are not making an impact. Well lets look at last years draft picks AFTER the Jets selected Lee to the Jets selection of Hackenberg in Rd. 2. 

How many of these guys are making a major impact? Nobody really stands out. Ifedi is a starter for the Seahawks, but their O-line has struggled to protect Wilson all year. Burns has had some moments for the Steelers. Shepherd has been a nice option for Eli in NY. But nobody stands out. It takes time for guys to get acclimated to the NFL, find their roles and make a positive impact on the team. You can argue Lee has had the biggest impact out of any of these guys, when healthy. 

I think Macc has done a very nice job of drafting. Particularly finding guys in the later rounds that can contribute and signing UFA rookies that show a lot of promise. J.Marshall, R.Anderson, Peake, L.Edwards, Simon. And if you consider the 4th round as a 'later round', you can add Petty and Burris to that list- both guys will have a chance to start next season.

Macc was also very smart in the way he signed FAs. Sure, he spent a lot of money on some players. Some of those guys have had off years. Some did not quite work out the way he wanted. But let's look at some of those guys. Revis- had a great year last season, despite some nagging injuries. This year he fell off a cliff. But the financial commitment to Revis is not as bad as it may seem for a player of caliber. He was one of the top CBs in the league when MAcc signed him, coming off a SB win. If the Jets cut him this offseason they save a ton of cap space but have to eat 6mil in guarantees. But if cut him NEXT offseason, there is no dead money. So Macc was off by a season. But he did that in large part because Richardson is a FA in 2018. Despite the fact that they may trade Richardson, this was a carefully calculated move. Marshall's cap hit is ZERO if we cut him this offseason. Skrine and Gilchrist are also guys that the Jets can decide to move on from in 2018 without much of a cap hit. The only guy Macc really committed to was Wilk. And I till believe the jury is out on that deal. I look at Wilkerson, the way he played his whole career and compare that to the Wilk I saw this year and it's like two completely different players. He is not the type of guy to sign a fat contract and slack off. The injury has obviously affected him. He will have a bounce back season next year.  

So my point is, Macc can scout and is smart when drafting. Macc is shrewd when making trades and has yet to 'lose' in a trade. And Macc does not commit long term to players he is unsure about. In fact, despite their performances this year. Wilk and Revis are as sure as it gets as far as players you want to invest in. We are talking about a future HOF'er and a NJ native, Jet stalwart, drafted by the Jets.   

Houston Texans Will Fuller  WR Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Washington [R1 - 8]
  1 22 Washington Redskins Josh Doctson  WR TCU Big 12 from Houston [R1 - 9]
  1 23 Minnesota Vikings Laquon Treadwell  WR Ole Miss SEC  
  1 24 Cincinnati Bengals William Jackson III  CB Houston The American  
  1 25 Pittsburgh Steelers Artie Burns  CB Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 26 Denver Broncos Paxton Lynch  QB Memphis The American from Seattle [R1 - 10]
  1 27 Green Bay Packers Kenny Clark  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  1 28 San Francisco 49ers Joshua Garnett  G Stanford Pac-12 from Kansas City [R1 - 11]
  1 New England Patriots Selection forfeited as a result of the Deflategate scandal[Forfeited 1]
  1 29 Arizona Cardinals Robert Nkemdiche  DT Ole Miss SEC  
  1 30 Carolina Panthers Vernon Butler  DT Louisiana Tech C-USA  
  1 31 Seattle Seahawks Germain Ifedi  OT Texas A&M SEC from Denver [R1 - 12]
  2 32 Cleveland Browns Emmanuel Ogbah  DE Oklahoma State Big 12  
  2 33 Tennessee Titans Kevin Dodd  OLB Clemson ACC  
  2 34 Dallas Cowboys Jaylon Smith  OLB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS)  
  2 35 San Diego Chargers Hunter Henry  TE Arkansas SEC  
  2 36 Jacksonville Jaguars Myles Jack  OLB UCLA Pac-12 from Baltimore [R2 - 1]
  2 37 Kansas City Chiefs Chris Jones  DT Mississippi State SEC from San Francisco [R2 - 2]
  2 38 Miami Dolphins Xavien Howard  CB Baylor Big 12 from Jacksonville via Baltimore [R2 - 3]
  2 39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Noah Spence  DE Eastern Kentucky OVC  
  2 40 New York Giants Sterling Shepard  WR Oklahoma Big 12  
  2 41 Buffalo Bills Reggie Ragland  ILB Alabama SEC from Chicago [R2 - 4]
  2 42 Baltimore Ravens Kamalei Correa  LB Boise State MW from Miami [R2 - 5]
  2 43 Tennessee Titans Austin Johnson  DT Penn State Big Ten from Philadelphia via Los Angeles [R2 - 6]
  2 44 Oakland Raiders Jihad Ward  DE Illinois Big Ten  
  2 45 Tennessee Titans Derrick Henry  RB Alabama SEC from Los Angeles [R2 - 7]
2015 Heisman Trophy winner
  2 46 Detroit Lions A'Shawn Robinson  DT Alabama SEC  
  2 47 New Orleans Saints Michael Thomas  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 48 Green Bay Packers Jason Spriggs  OT Indiana Big Ten from Indianapolis [R2 - 8]
  2 49 Seattle Seahawks Jarran Reed  DT Alabama SEC from Buffalo via Chicago [R2 - 9]
  2 50 Houston Texans Nick Martin  C Notre Dame

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac is doing a decent job.  His drafts look ok.  His trades, good.  CA signings, ok,  it you don't know the Woody effect, or the effect of bad coaching.  He deserves more time with a  clear instruction of rebuild, but should be called out for his mistakes.  

This is a big draft.

My feelings exactly. His drafts have been good, not great. This is a another big one for him

14 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

junc

I value your opinion a lot. You know football and you know what you are talking about. Can you elaborate on Bowles' good qualities? I seem to have none. 

I like his approach to the game and to the players. He doesn't get swayed by fans and the media and that's a very good thing.  I would just hate to reset again after only 2 years. he has a lot of things to improve on, I think he deserves at least one more year.

Just now, nyjunc said:

we have some young talent, are they getting experience? are we losing b/c of youth?

I think so, a little bit.

BTW, that SI article is awesome and every Jets fan of either opinion should read it.

WOuld you rather have gone 2-14 last year and 3-13 this year? Or 10-6 last year and 3-13 this year?

our drafts have been Terrible and our coaching has been Terrible-not sure what planet some of you folks live on-same guys that kept saying Fitz was the answer too

same guys saying we have a good gm and a good coach all year and lots of talent on the team

then wtf are we one of the worst teams in the league?

jet fans love to over value guys as well that are avg and make them out to be great when they are not

some just refuse to see the truth because the truth is damn scary as a fan-the future looks BAD

Just now, kmnj said:

our drafts have been Terrible and our coaching has been Terrible-not sure what planet some of you folks live on-same guys that kept saying Fitz was the answer too

same guys saying we have a good gm and a good coach all year and lots of talent on the team

then wtf are we one of the worst teams in the league?

jet fans love to over value guys as well that are avg and make them out to be great when they are not

some just refuse to see the truth because the truth is damn scary as a fan-the future looks BAD

Did you read the SI article?

yes i read it and I read tons of articles saying the jets are one of the worst teams in the league with no talent, bad coaching -do you want me to link them?

I dont need to read anything to form an opinion-I watch the games and see them loose almost every week while being out coached, playing with no effort and lots of bad players out there

the jets are what there record says they are -they are a bad team thanks to a bad coach-a bad gm and lack of talent and the talent we have has given up and shows no heart-they skip meetings and could care less about winning

The majority of the bashers are Idzik fans who still have their panties in a wad over Idzik getting fired. There are plenty who have been critical, and with fair points, but most of them have been reasonable enough to state that its been a small sample. I'm sure an Idzik supporter will come flying in and try to bat me over the head with the fact that it was the same small sample size for Idzik, and I agree with that. The difference is that Idzik was only hired because he was the best of a motley crew willing to accept Rex as their head coach, and likely would not have been hired if Woody wasn't so f'ng stupid as to insist the fat man baby stayed with. Then, when he passed on Carr, Bridgwater and Garrapolo, because he had Geno, he pretty much sealed his fate. 

So in reality, the real Mac bashers are actually protecting their pro Idzik agenda.

there is no sugar coating it-our team is awful-if you dont want to hold those accountable for it that is your choice-next year we will be worse-how long should we give unproven guys to right the ship 3 years 5 years 25 years?

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

there is no sugar coating it-our team is awful-if you dont want to hold those accountable for it that is your choice-next year we will be worse-how long should we give unproven guys to right the ship 3 years 5 years 25 years?

Generic answer, I give a GM 5 years, and  Head Coach 3 years.

Specific answer, I give Macc a third year (and then see) and I fire Bowles now.

tickets went for 4 bucks at the last game-yeah this team is GREAT keep up the good work gm/coach

what makes you think next year or the year after will be any better

I believe in winners and hiring proven winners-when you are in business you go after the best talent-proven guys you dont keep handing the ship to guys that have never done the job and if you do by chance you pull the rug  under from them when they fail-our record shows they have failed -our performance shows they have failed-the lack of effort and commitment from our players shows they failed

your "top" players not showing up to meetings and it is tolerated

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Generic answer, I give a GM 5 years, and  Head Coach 3 years.

Specific answer, I give Macc a third year (and then see) and I fire Bowles now.

If we hired proven guys I a fine being patient -non proven guys not so much-especially when you can see the talent is bad, the coaching is bad and the worst of the worst no effort and players skipping meetings-that cant be tolerated

45 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think so, a little bit.

BTW, that SI article is awesome and every Jets fan of either opinion should read it.

WOuld you rather have gone 2-14 last year and 3-13 this year? Or 10-6 last year and 3-13 this year?

we shouldn't be anywhere near 3-13 and that article(if it is the one I read) was incredibly off base.

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

I agree. I think the same argument can be made for Bowles too. 

huh? Are you serious? Did you watch game #1 this year? Now I assume you did, have you watched the team get worse week in and week out culminating in Monday's most embarrassing debacle in Jets history? Mac should stay and be allowed to pick his own HC. He gets at least this shot. I do not blame Bowltite on Mac as this was not his choice, he just went with it to be a team player. Bowltite has no personality his team has no fire and is totally boring to watch, he coaches scared, he constantly plays not to lose, which by the way, they cannot even do that right.

Archived