The GM bashers need some insight.....

CanadaSteve

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Paxton Lynch will bust.  I have stated why many times.  The guy, with his "cutesy" flava sava facial hair and his unwarranted smugness.  He looked afraid to get hit in college.  Always backpedaling or throwing off his back foot instead of stepping up in the face of pressure to deliver the ball.  He is a Blaine Gabbert "chuck and duck."

NOTHING about him says tough competitior to me. 

When you watch Goff's college film, that kid stands in there and takes big hits repeatedly.

Which may be why Goff went #1 overall.  You very well may be right about Lynch.  But, if he's even mediocre, then he's more valuable than Lee, and certainly better than most expect from Hack.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, as I remember it, the grades on lynch were that he was a high upside guy who would take time to develop, but had top end potential.  Worth a 1st rounder I'd think.  The grades on Hack generally put him as a late round to undraftable.

This depends on who was grading, of course. There were pretty polarized opinions of both players.

mac has been handicapped by a system coach who doesn't know or doesn't  know how to tell the gm what type of players he wants.

Richardson, willians and mo wilk should always be down lineman

Lee should always be a 3-4 inside backer

Jenkins and mauldin should always be our two olbs,

Having said that mac will be judged on if he can get a long term starting QB.  Petty and now Hack are hitched to him, the hack pick i still feel is horrible and he has to wear that.  If petty or hak turn out then he is a hero

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im willing to give Macc another chance as long as he fires Todd Bowles and brings in a head coach that has a clue as to whats going on in the NFL. 

FFS Bowles reports to Woody not Macc. Macc does not have the power to fire Bowles. 

Maybe spend less time posting half-coherent garbage everywhere and spend a little time learning what the rest of us are discussing.

26 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We've generally accepted the "crapshoot" principle, no?  Teams seem to make stupid decisions at the end of the 1st with QBs, but I mean, yeah, improvements in "scouting ability" would certainly help.  Not sure how to achieve that, considering it seems we've never had it.

The end of the first is the time to make a "crapshoot" pick at QB.  You wanted the extra year of contract because you wouldn't know if the guy was a hit or miss until damn near the end of the contract.  Top of the first for top QBs that can start early, bottom of the first for guys worth a shot because QB is so important you can't wait AND you want to lock them up the extra year.

1 minute ago, rex-n-effect said:

FFS Bowles reports to Woody not Macc. Macc does not have the power to fire Bowles. 

Maybe spend less time posting half-coherent garbage everywhere and spend a little time learning what the rest of us are discussing.

Thats the problem and only Macc can fix it he is the GM of the football team. 

Bowles reports to Woody because Macc didnt hire him. 

You dont generally discuss anything you are too busy negative repping every post I make and in retaliation i do the same. 

Happy Holidays 

Jets 'Draft guru' Mike Maccagnan has a spotty draft record, needs to prove he can actually pick good players 

Mike Maccagnan was supposed to sweep into town on a white horse last year, armed with voluminous draft data, and dazzle us with his scouting wisdom until the Jets’ wretched roster was whole again.

Nobody could live up to such hype given the inexact nature of the NFL draft, but admit it: You thought he’d be Obi-Wan.

The Force seemed strong given Maccagnan’s credentials as a life-long scout grinding through the better part of two decades in anonymity. Woody Johnson made no secret that John Idzik’s successor would have a strong scouting profile.

Maccagnan has revealed himself to be many things in his first 15 months on the job, but there’s no escaping this truth: We still don’t know if he can actually draft good players.

GARY MYERS' 2016 NFL FIRST ROUND MOCK DRAFT

The jury is still out about Jets GM Mike Maccagnan's ability to draft quality players.

The jury is still out about Jets GM Mike Maccagnan's ability to draft quality players.

(JEFF ZELEVANSKY/GETTY IMAGES)

2016 NFL DRAFT: LIVE FIRST-ROUND COVERAGE AND ANALYSIS

His first draft was blah in the truest sense of the word. Leonard Williams landed in Maccagnan’s lap last year at the No. 6 pick. Although the GM deserved credit for grabbing the USC defensive lineman despite the Jets’ surplus at that position, it wasn’t exactly a wrenching decision given how highly the player was rated by everybody.

The rest of the Jets’ 2015 draft has legitimate questions. It’s ridiculous to make definitive conclusions after one season, but the organization surely would have liked more production out of second-round pick Devin Smith, who had a forgettable, injury-marred rookie year (9 receptions, 115 yards, 1 TD in 10 games). Third-round outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin showed brief moments of promise, but he’ll have to make a significant leap in 2016 for a team devoid of quality edge players.

MEHTA: JETS NEED TO TRADE MO WILKERSON BEFORE NFL DRAFT

THREE PLAYERS JETS COULD TAKE IN FIRST ROUND OF NFL DRAFT

Fourth-rounder Bryce Petty is still a mystery. The brain trust remains cautiously optimistic entering a pivotal year for his development with no guarantee of any significant return on their investment. Fifth-round guard Jarvis Harrison and seventh-round defensive tackle Deon Simon have been banished to the practice squad until further notice.

“For the most part,” Maccagnan said after the season, “we like the guys we drafted.”

Maccagnan has made several smart moves since moving to the big chair, including three low-risk, high-reward trades for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall and Ryan Clady. He’s thrown money to patch holes (see: secondary). He’s done an effective job delegating responsibilities to an inner circle filled with bright, young talent that he trusts implicitly.

He’s been far from perfect though. He should have resolved the Fitzpatrick situation by now rather than play needless mind games with the team’s unquestioned leader, who, frankly, made him look pretty smart last year.

He’ll regret it if he doesn’t move his most tradeable asset (Mo Wilkerson) before the start of the draft Thursday night.

2016 NFL FREE AGENT TRACKER: FOLLOW THE FRENZY HERE

Maccagnan’s missteps also include inexplicably downplaying the importance of making the 2016 playoffs despite winning 10 games last season.

“In a perfect world, we’d like to potentially compete for the playoffs,” Maccagnan said last week. “Now, to me, I don’t necessarily view that as a benchmark for success or failure.”

The goal for this team should be to break the franchise’s five-year playoff drought. Anything less than that should absolutely be considered a failure.

“The draft is going to be key for us,” Maccagnan said.

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Which may be why Goff went #1 overall.  You very well may be right about Lynch.  But, if he's even mediocre, then he's more valuable than Lee, and certainly better than most expect from Hack.

I know I'm in the minority with Hackenberg, but I was fine with taking him where they did. I understand the stats don't look great. But I watched a quite a few of his games, and my impression was that he looked very uncomfortable in the spread system. Also his footwork is all over the place, which explains his accuracy issues.

If they can correct his footwork, then there's a chance that have a QB. He has everything you want at that position: Smarts, a big arm, and toughness. Fix his feet, and you likely fix the accuracy. If the Jets can do that, then they're in business.

Just now, gEYno said:

And since Mac is the subject of this thread, obviously not the one to consider.

Of course, I was being facetious, guess it was a bad job. Honestly, I don't put a ton of stock in what the Mel Kipers and his ilk put out there for grades. More than half of them had Geno as a top 10 draft pick. There were people who had Ryan Nassib as a first round pick.

I am not claiming Hackenberg will ge good, but having known of him since HS, I understand the Hail Mary Mac threw by drafting him. This kid was one of the highest rated HS QB's in a very long time, and had he come out after his Freshman year, he would have had a very good chance of being the 1st overall draft pick. I also saw enough of PSU's games his Junior year to see that it was a horrible fit on both sides.

The odds are that Hackenberg will always suck, for one, most QB's end up sucking, for two, we are the Jets and we don't deserve good things happening to us.

What we'd have next year, if not for this pigheaded infatuation with bringing back Fitzpatrick:

Mo would be cuttable after this season:

• $18M cap hit next year - "saved" $6M in 2016 + $11M additional mandatory future cap hits for his signing bonus = $33M net. And he's playing like garbage. I'm sure he'll show up again right as the guaranteed portion of his contract comes to a close. Freaking shame, instead of turning him into a good draft pick.

Skrine would be more easily cuttable after this season, if so desired. They could still dump him anyway: though it only appears to create $3.5M extra space for 2017 alone, in realistic terms it clears his full 2017 salary: $6M. But he won't look at it that way; he'll look at it only in terms of his 2017 hit. And since they've done such a poor job with other Jets CBs, they'll bring him back for sure.

Giacomini (maybe) would not have been brought back if they didn't myopically believe they had a serious shot this year. A full $5M for half a season of Breno = paying him at a rate of $10M for a full season. Like an injured Breno would've had have near any such offers if Maccagnan had simply cut him at the end of August like he should have done.

None of this even takes into consideration other misguided if not total cluster**** moves like

• Revis ($39M for 2 yrs, and gave NE a 3rd rd draft pick)
  • Cromartie ($7M for 1 yr)
  • Harris ($15M for 2 yrs or $22M for 3)
  • Brick/Clady ($14M for 1.5 bad yrs)
  • Gilchrist ($10M for 2 yrs)
  • Forte ($9M+ and a draft pick for 2 yrs; even more if he hits yardage incentives). Sign him or re-sign Powell, not both. Our duo is among the most expensive RB-corps in the NFL with a cap hit of nearly $10M for the pair next year.

All told this is some $150M in cap space, on top of nearly a full season's worth of draft picks, simply pissed away.

Assuming mostly-expected cap space is cleared by cutting ties with Breno, Gilchrist, Clady, and Revis, in 2017 we'll have FA holes at:

1. QB1
  2. maybe QB2
  3. RB2/3 (we have neither a back with gamebreaking speed nor real power)
  4. TE1
  5. LT
  6. RT
  7. RG
  8. OLB/outside pass rusher
  9. CB1
  10. CB2 or NB (the great Skrine will man one of these)
  11. FS
  12. ILB (if Harris is also cut for cap relief)
  13. SS (if they have lost faith in Pryor)

In terms of quantity of positions and importance/expense of filling these types of positions, there's equally significant holes as the day Maccagnan took over, 2 seasons prior. 

4 hours ago, kmnj said:

our drafts have been Terrible and our coaching has been Terrible-not sure what planet some of you folks live on-same guys that kept saying Fitz was the answer too

same guys saying we have a good gm and a good coach all year and lots of talent on the team

then wtf are we one of the worst teams in the league?

jet fans love to over value guys as well that are avg and make them out to be great when they are not

some just refuse to see the truth because the truth is damn scary as a fan-the future looks BAD

I guess you have missed the point entirely and will be applying for his job because obviously you are personnel guru that just has not been noticed yet by all 32 NFL teams

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thanks for sharing what team Michael Thomas plays for.  That team is stacked with talent? He leads them in TDs, yards and catches.  Not impressive?  Maybe not, but certainly more impressive to me than a safety sized LB showing effort and "speed"

So, would you be bashing Mac if he drafted another WR, when we already had 4 on the roster, over a LB which we needed?  Look at the slack he got for drafting arguably the best player in the whole draft last year because we had 2 DT's already. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Darron Lee is more questionable especially when Jordan Jenkins was named a starting LB and Lee a situational LB, who drafts a situational player with a low 1st round pick someone who lacks knowledge and expertise in football. 

Executive of the year means nothing to me I judge GM's and coaches by wins and losses. 

To say that Mac lacks knowledge and expertise in football is just asinine.  Any of us can disagree with picks, but there is a reason guys like Mac have worked their whole lives in football, and we sit anonymously behind a computer monitor.

16 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, would you be bashing Mac if he drafted another WR, when we already had 4 on the roster, over a LB which we needed?  Look at the slack he got for drafting arguably the best player in the whole draft last year because we had 2 DT's already. 

You said nobody stands out.  Thomas stands out. He leads the Saints in catches, TDs and yards and he'd lead the Jets in catches, TDs and yards.  I don't really bash his 2016 draft - yet.  I think the 2015 draft is borderline bash worthy.  Mauldin and Smith aren't coming through and other than Williams, Petty is the only one that's always been rostered.  You are advocating drafting based on need?  Does any team ever need and undersized situational/sub-package LB?  I hope these guys turn out, but my current feeling about these drafts is a resounding Meh

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What we'd have next year, if not for this pigheaded infatuation with bringing back Fitzpatrick:

Mo would be cuttable after this season:

• $18M cap hit next year - "saved" $6M in 2016 + $11M additional mandatory future cap hits for his signing bonus = $33M net. And he's playing like garbage. I'm sure he'll show up again right as the guaranteed portion of his contract comes to a close. Freaking shame, instead of turning him into a good draft pick.

Skrine would be more easily cuttable after this season, if so desired. They could still dump him anyway: though it only appears to create $3.5M extra space for 2017 alone, in realistic terms it clears his full 2017 salary: $6M. But he won't look at it that way; he'll look at it only in terms of his 2017 hit. And since they've done such a poor job with other Jets CBs, they'll bring him back for sure.

Giacomini (maybe) would not have been brought back if they didn't myopically believe they had a serious shot this year. A full $5M for half a season of Breno = paying him at a rate of $10M for a full season. Like an injured Breno would've had have near any such offers if Maccagnan had simply cut him at the end of August like he should have done.

None of this even takes into consideration other misguided if not total cluster**** moves like

• Revis ($39M for 2 yrs, and gave NE a 3rd rd draft pick)
  • Cromartie ($7M for 1 yr)
  • Harris ($15M for 2 yrs or $22M for 3)
  • Brick/Clady ($14M for 1.5 bad yrs)
  • Gilchrist ($10M for 2 yrs)
  • Forte ($9M+ and a draft pick for 2 yrs; even more if he hits yardage incentives). Sign him or re-sign Powell, not both. Our duo is among the most expensive RB-corps in the NFL with a cap hit of nearly $10M for the pair next year.

All told this is some $150M in cap space, on top of nearly a full season's worth of draft picks, simply pissed away.

Gave NE a 3rd round pick?...I must have missed that, please explain

3 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Gave NE a 3rd round pick?...I must have missed that, please explain

We gave Revis that huge long term deal which entitled the Pats to a 3rd round comp pick.  Presumably, the hope for a comp pick was why the Jets didn't immediately cut Milliner when they knew he wasn't making the 2016 roster. 

Maccagnan has turned the absolute worst WR situation possibly in league history(Clyde Gates/Greg Salas/David Nelson/TJ Graham) and turned it into the deepest and potentially most dynamic unit on the team and found 3 gems in the 7th round or lower (Anderson/Peake/Jalin Marshall) I give him the benefit of the doubt he can perhaps work that magic on another unit.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

We gave Revis that huge long term deal which entitled the Pats to a 3rd round comp pick.  Presumably, the hope for a comp pick was why the Jets didn't immediately cut Milliner when they knew he wasn't making the 2016 roster. 

I thought Revis was released by the Pats, didn't think comp picks were handed out for players that were cut or released

8 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

I thought Revis was released by the Pats, didn't think comp picks were handed out for players that were cut or released

He had a second year option (like 20+ million that wasn't exercised - so they could split the signing bonus over two years and he could not be franchised); so, not exercising the option is different from releasing, apparently. I was shocked then too.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

He had a second year option (like 20+ million that wasn't exercised - so they could split the signing bonus over two years and he could not be franchised); so, not exercising the option is different from releasing, apparently. I was shocked then too.

^

An example of a smart contract

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

^

An example of a smart contract

It's a ridiculous rule, since they still allow the bonus money to be amortized as though it was a multi-year contract. Being fair to Maccagnan, I think he's used that a couple of times since then, where year 2 of a 2 year deal is a team option. Jenkins would have been (had he not been cut), but he wouldn't have returned more than a 7th rounder. I think Clady is another. 

Frankly, the final year of any/all contracts should be written as a team option. It isn't much of a difference, if at all, to the player. It may create a slight incentive for the team to cut ties with the player a year early, but it's mostly a serious factor if the player is still in demand enough to command a decent contract from someone else, which could benefit the player anyway.

49 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Maccagnan has turned the absolute worst WR situation possibly in league history(Clyde Gates/Greg Salas/David Nelson/TJ Graham) and turned it into the deepest and potentially most dynamic unit on the team and found 3 gems in the 7th round or lower (Anderson/Peake/Jalin Marshall) I give him the benefit of the doubt he can perhaps work that magic on another unit.

Meh. The Jets didn't have anywhere close to "the absolute worst WR situation possibly in league history" when Maccagnan took over. In no way was his group merely Gates-Salas-Nelson-Graham. Only Graham was even under contract past 2014 anyway so opinions aside this is not even factually accurate.

In March 2015, Chicago called him up and threw Brandon Marshall at him for a song. Partly to separate him & Cutler, partly because they needed his cap room to lock up Jeffery, and lastly because there was an opportunity to draft his replacement with their pick #7 in the upcoming draft. The Jets picked #6 and had a similar need, so making sure the Jets filled this opening in FA more or less guaranteed the WR they coveted (Kevin White) would drop past us at #6. Hardly anyone would have passed up on this offer, so BFD.

Maccagnan also inherited Decker and Enunwa, as well as Kerley and Harvin, whom you also didn't mention either. The latter 2 certainly weren't the greatest ever, but the 4 of them together are nothing like the talent-bereft group you made them out to be.

In patting his back for WR prospects who've mostly done nothing, you also glossed over his high 2nd round pick of Devin Smith, a major disappointment thus far. The other 3 I do like, but they do get overrated by Jets fans, and Jalin Marshall in particular isn't a name that conjures up bragging rights at this point. They are "gems" when they turn into starters or significantly-productive backups. Much as we like them, right now they're just hopefuls, and nothing more.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh. The Jets didn't have anywhere close to the worst WR situation in league history when Maccagnan took over. In no way was his group merely Gates-Salas-Nelson-Graham. Only Graham was even under contract past 2014 anyway so opinions aside this is not even factually accurate.

In March 2015, Chicago called him up and threw Brandon Marshall at him for a song. Partly to separate him & Cutler, partly because they needed his cap room to lock up Jeffery, and lastly because there was an opportunity to draft his replacement with their pick #7 in the upcoming draft. The Jets picked #6 and had a similar need, so making sure the Jets filled this opening in FA more or less guaranteed the WR they coveted (Kevin White) would drop past us at #6. Hardly anyone would have passed up on this offer, so BFD.

Maccagnan also inherited Decker and Enunwa, as well as Kerley and Harvin, whom you also didn't mention either. The latter 2 certainly weren't the greatest ever, but the 4 of them together are nothing like the talent-bereft group you made them out to be.

In patting his back for WR prospects who've mostly done nothing, you also glossed over his high 2nd round pick of Devin Smith, a major disappointment thus far. The other 3 I do like, but they do get overrated by Jets fans, and Jalin Marshall in particular isn't a name that conjures up bragging rights at this point. They are "gems" when they turn into starters or significantly-productive backups. Much as we like them, right now they're just hopefuls, and nothing more.

Great post. 

Devin Smith,Jalin Marshall,Robbie Anderson and Charon Peake so far haven't done much, I really havent seen any positives from the entire group. 

Maccagnan has done a decent job so far, draft-wise, compared to other teams across the league.  He has been hit or miss but on par with the rest of the league.  What the Jets lack is finding a gem in the late rounds.  Other than Enunwa, the Jets have failed to get lucky in the later rounds of the draft by finding that late round steal.  Every "great" GM has that, the really great ones have them multiple times.  Also, the obvious way for Maccagnan to be considered a "good" GM is by finding a franchise QB, whether it falls into his lap (consensus first rounder) or he finds one later in the draft.

Maccagnan didn't hire Bowles so he shouldn't be evaluated on that.  Though its seems like he could have managed the cap a little better, it is not the cap hell that Tannenbaum put the team in.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh. The Jets didn't have anywhere close to "the absolute worst WR situation possibly in league history" when Maccagnan took over. In no way was his group merely Gates-Salas-Nelson-Graham. Only Graham was even under contract past 2014 anyway so opinions aside this is not even factually accurate.

Thank God Chicago "threw Marshall at him for a song." It saved Macc from drafting that bust,Kevin White. Only thing worse than drafting a "major disappointment" like Devin Smith in the second round is taking one with the 7th pick in the first round.FWIW, at least Smith has caught a TD.

Archived