Let's have a serious discussion about Bowles

Maxman

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

I would rather have an agenda driven media type tell us a fabrication rather than what we can see with our own eyes.  Just a few of the things that have gone on this year that makes it obvious that the locker room is adrift and Bowles is not in control:

Geno Smith's media boycott.

Geno Smith's pouting for the cameras.

Geno Smith's passive-aggressive anti-Jets Tweets.

Sheldon Richardson's battle with Brandon Marshall in September.

Sheldon Richardson's aloofness and multiple benchings having no impact.

Sheldon Richardson's missing multiple team meetings.

Mo Wilkerson's aloofness and multiple benchings having no impact.

Mo Wilkerson's media boycott and mouse-like sneaking out of the locker room.

Mo Wilkerson's missing team meetings and his own birthday party.

Pepper Johnson DL assistant refusing to speak to the media and then giving one word answers.

Ridiculous amount of personal fouls and overall lack of discipline.

Defenders showboating after routine tackles when trailing by 40 points.

Darrelle Revis pronouncement that he's "old", "slow", "tired", ready to become a safety.

No single defensive player stepping up to take the role of team leader.

The utter no-show humiliation of the defense against the Colts on National TV.

The view that the locker room was determining who our starting quarterback would be instead of the head coach.

The failure to inform his starting quarterback that he is being replaced for the last 4 weeks of the season before telling the media and then having a low level assistant do the dirty work seconds before he took the podium.

That's a Rex Ryanesque laundry list of team dysfunction right there.  You can see it in th eyes of Revis, Richardson, Wilkerson, Smith, and others.  They have checked out, they can't even put on a good show to help their head coach, they don't like him, they don't respect him, they've quit on him.

SAR I

It was never this bad under Rex.  Ever. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

A good level headed analysis but the way you spelled his name in the thread title made it sound like you were going to give a gastroenterology lecture.

He did .. all of us are sick to our stomachs with the current situation

I just don't see Macc as being the Problem, not at all.

While some here disagreed, everyone throughout the media thought Fitz needed to be signed they seemed to think as did I that maybe Fitz found something with this team and these players that made him turn the corner. I was wrong they were wrong. That you can move on from.

When it comes to other positions we added young speed and talent at a position (LB) that really needed it.

We signed MO. I felt that was a mistake from the beginning. We should have retained Snacks and got what ever picks possible for Wilk. NT is so important in the 3-4 and it turns out maybe the loss of snacks had a bigger impact than we thought maybe not from a pass rushing perspective but from a leadership perspective since Harrison was a vocal leader even at his young age. NT's that talented don't grow on trees and they do anchor the defense and Snacks was much more valuable than MO because we still had Williams and Richardson

We signed Forte and for the most part he has played well. That being said nothing to point at Macc here and say bad move because IMHO the RB position has been dreadfully mishandled all season long. You just don't lean on a 31 year old back as hard as we did and give Powell 5-7 touches a game that he was averaging early in the season its just stupid.

Macc Brought in some nice young talent at WR that I think will just get better over the next few years. Peake and Anderson will be very good WR's and even if not Number 1 types they are both certainly capable of being solid number 2 and 3 WR's with the possibility of Decker and Marshall giving us about 2-3 more years it will give them time to develop and find a true number 1 via the draft. I think Decker and Marshall need to stay to work these young kids in and set an example for the future they will be worth the money IMHO.

Macc came in here and built a team that went 10-6 last year in a very competitive league yes even the bad a mediocre teams can give you a good run these days. He needed to infuse speed at LB and he did. No one expected the complete debacle in the secondary which seems like more of a scheme problem than anything else. Bowles constantly put CB's on Islands that no longer needed to be there. Revis never got torched and with a little help from the safeties up top allowing Revis to concentrate underneath would have worked wonders but Bowles thought it good to put a 31 year old CB on that same Island he didn't belong on and it burned him for a good long time before he made a coaching adjustment and cost us a bunch of games early in the season. Who knows what this team would have done if they won the Cincinnati game a game where we unexplicably single covered AJ Green and he continued to burn us the entire game WITH NO adjustment from Bowles it was hard to watch. Goodwin Coates ? Really a safety up top could have stopped that but they were non existent playing in the box. DUMB COACHING.

The D-Line seems to have quit on this HC as has the secondary... for all we know Bowles may have complicated this defense to the extent they have slowed down to a crawl having to THINK more than REACT and that's a killer in a league where speed and reaction are imperitive on defense.

Macc didn't pick this HC and I'm sorry but that falls squarely on Casserly and Wolf. They needed to install a GM and then step aside and I wont hold Macc accountable for Bowles consistent blunders because they are consistent and they carried over big time from last year. Macc deserves the chance to install his own HC since he has made the moves to make this team better but the HC did not adapt to anything that was directly in front of his face.

Evaluating coaches can be tricky because of the talent needed to win and so many other variables like the injury bug, cap situation, etc that the coach can't control.

BUT

I have been judging coaches for a long time on a handful of criteria that I think are fair;

1) Does the team play hard for 60 minutes ? Are they fired up at kickoff and play to the end even if down 17 points ?

2) Do they generally make fewer mistakes than the opponent ?  Turnover margin, penalty differential.

3) Do they seem prepared for what the opponent may do ?  Hurry up offense, heavy blitzing defense, trick plays on special teams.

4) Does the coach make a difference at the end of the game with a gutsy call, smart use of timeouts or stategy ?

Bowles is a miserable failure in every category.  He seems like a nice guy, smart guy, but he is not a leader this team treats him like a substitute teacher.

2 seasons is enough, you don't change when you are 50 years old, you are what you are.  If he was 35, i would give him year 3.  There is a reason he never got a HC shot when he was young.

What is particularly bad for Bowles is his specialty is the defensive secondary, and Revis retiring aside, the entire secondary has been brutally bad.  I have never seen so many mental mistakes and blown coverages and big plays.

He made a very interesting comment his first training camp, he was asked what preparations he made for being the man in charge, the decision maker and his reply was something like, "none, I am going to let experience teach me"  I was pretty shocked.  These guys work 16 hour days and he doesn't formulate any sort of philosophy or game plan for being the HC ?   wut ?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Evaluating coaches can be tricky because of the talent needed to win and so many other variables like the injury bug, cap situation, etc that the coach can't control.

BUT

I have been judging coaches for a long time on a handful of criteria that I think are fair;

1) Does the team play hard for 60 minutes ? Are they fired up at kickoff and play to the end even if down 17 points ?

2) Do they generally make fewer mistakes than the opponent ?  Turnover margin, penalty differential.

3) Do they seem prepared for what the opponent may do ?  Hurry up offense, heavy blitzing defense, trick plays on special teams.

4) Does the coach make a difference at the end of the game with a gutsy call, smart use of timeouts or stategy ?

Bowles is a miserable failure in every category.  He seems like a nice guy, smart guy, but he is not a leader this team treats him like a substitute teacher.

2 seasons is enough, you don't change when you are 50 years old, you are what you are.  If he was 35, i would give him year 3.  There is a reason he never got a HC shot when he was young.

What is particularly bad for Bowles is his specialty is the defensive secondary, and Revis retiring aside, the entire secondary has been brutally bad.  I have never seen so many mental mistakes and blown coverages and big plays.

He made a very interesting comment his first training camp, he was asked what preparations he made for being the man in charge, the decision maker and his reply was something like, "none, I am going to let experience teach me"  I was pretty shocked.  These guys work 16 hour days and he doesn't formulate any sort of philosophy or game plan for being the HC ?   wut ?

This has to be  mentioned in post of the year.  

Bowles is REx at this point, yeah he is the quiet rex but he is just like rex and this coming season is the turning point on way or the other.  He has some good attributes and some bad ones.  Will he realize he has to improve a lot in certain areas?  If he comes back next year with  the same mindset as this year and thinking he did nothing wrong he is doomed.

He (and Mac) also 100% for sure have to jetison the problem players.  Bowels is constantly covering for players left right and center and those players have walked on him and let him down.  If he along with the GM does not kick their asses off the team he is lost.

On 12/9/2016 at 2:50 PM, Maxman said:

Let's see how the QB situation plays out. We will know a lot more about Petty after the next four weeks. Is he in the mix for next season? Is he not in the mix? Is Hackenberg progressing? We don't know those answers right now, but pulling the plug on this rebuilding process would be a mistake.

One problem I see here is that almost every rookie QB drafted this year has PLAYED, except Hackenberg. What is the problem? Can this guy play or can't he. I never heard of a 'red shirt' year in pro football - i guess the Jets made that one up - so where is he? Petty has had good and bad. He looks at the pass rush - I saw this several times tonight - and he brings the ball down, which you should never do. Much better in second half, but my main question is about Todd Bowles. Does his staff have the ability to teach Hackenberg and Petty the nuances of QB play? I have my doubts considering the ay they are 'babying'  Hackenberg.

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I think the "team quit" thought process took a step back today. Major problems exist, but I believe the effort has been there.

They sure looked like it in the first half. C'mon, when has a RB been able to average 18 yards a pop? That was what Hyde had at halftime. To Bowles credit the team - especially the defense - played their butts off in the second half.

24 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

One problem I see here is that almost every rookie QB drafted this year has PLAYED, except Hackenberg. What is the problem? Can this guy play or can't he. I never heard of a 'red shirt' year in pro football - i guess the Jets made that one up - so where is he? Petty has had good and bad. He looks at the pass rush - I saw this several times tonight - and he brings the ball down, which you should never do. Much better in second half, but my main question is about Todd Bowles. Does his staff have the ability to teach Hackenberg and Petty the nuances of QB play? I have my doubts considering the ay they are 'babying'  Hackenberg.

I actually wish they would dress Hack. He is traveling which is good. But even if he doesn't play, I would like him to dress. At this point if we have to carry one less CB or LB or OL that is fine. They aren't helping much anyway.

Archived