Petty is the guy.

CobraVerde

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JiF said:

The 49ers are a terrible Football team. 

They have a terrible coach just like we do. That speaks volumes when you look at the two teams playing today.

SF has to be the dumbest organization in all of sports pissing off Jim Harbaugh who took a disaster that Singletary left him and turned it into a SB contender virtually over night. Damn you to hell Jim Harbaugh for trying to tell me how to run my organization SB or no SB ... These are the dumb owners of NFL franchises most of whom inherited their fortunes only to show us just how ******* dumb they are

If it's ok with the OP, I'd prefer to hold off anointing Petty until, at the very least, we see how he plays out the rest of this season.

Whomever "the man" will be next year will be determined in the offseason anyway, based on tape, the GM and HC's thoughts, and whomever else might be available.

With that said, I'm glad to have had an opportunity see Petty play today, and congrats to him for his first career win.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Open competition next year between Petty and Hack.  

Draft someone late for practice squad.

It's time to sink or swim with them.

Agreed.  So tired of the Brian Hoyers, Josh McCowns, and Ryan Fitzpatricks of the world.  QB's with no possibility of leading a team to the Super Bowl.  Find out if the young ones can play. Petty showed he is at least ready enough to play to show whether he is good enough.  Hack should know enough by year two to at least not be overwhelmed.  If they aren't the future then waiting a year to find out with another veteran retread just pushes  finding a franchise QB farther down the road.

Petty bounced back very nicely in the second half. But the guy still has a ways to go. He has talent, big arm, etc. But the offense didnt run smoothly. He made some plays though and they ran the ball very well. Powell won them that game. Petty played a nice supporting role.

I want to see Petty run the offense properly. Get Brandon Marshall and Enunwa more involved. Don't just try and play catch with Robbie Anderson. It was nice to see ASJ make some plays.

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You need a veteran but hes a 3rd string guy.  Petty and hack battle it out in camp for 1 and 2 and the veteran is there to help them as a number 3.

There is no sense from the coaching staff that Hack will be anything more than the number 3 next season. He's barely a number 3 this season. 

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

There's reason to be optimistic. But Petty will not develop unless something is done about this o-line, and done fast. Imperative to the future of this team.

A lot of the OL is young too. I thought there were some bright spots from them today too.

Petty bounced back very nicely in the second half. But the guy still has a ways to go. He has talent, big arm, etc. But the offense didnt run smoothly. He made some plays though and they ran the ball very well. Powell won them that game. Petty played a nice supporting role.
I want to see Petty run the offense properly. Get Brandon Marshall and Enunwa more involved. Don't just try and play catch with Robbie Anderson. It was nice to see ASJ make some plays.

This is the problem with Jets fans and QB's Everyone wants to envision a QB on playing a certain way they think he should play "He needs to throw to so and so more ""he needs to do this he needs to do that" Doesn't matter if he wins or not He needs to play a certain way or else they are not happy. How about playing to his strengths. Let him grow into the role and eventually when he's ready he'll become that. This just in. He's going to throw more picks. But if he learns from those its progress. 90% of you have made mistakes at your job. This is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This is the problem with Jets fans and QB's Everyone wants to envision a QB on playing a certain way they think he should play "He needs to throw to so and so more ""he needs to do this he needs to do that" Doesn't matter if he wins or not He needs to play a certain way or else they are not happy. How about playing to his strengths. Let him grow into the role and eventually when he's ready he'll become that. This just in. He's going to throw more picks. But if he learns from those its progress. 90% of you have made mistakes at your job. This is no different.

57 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Yeah, that would be the Jetsy thing to do. Sign a proven career hack to water down preseason and develop nobody in the process. Garbage in, garbage out.

No, it would be the smart thing to do.

why does a vet water down preseason?  Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, tfine said:

Incorrect. I never said it didnt matter if he wins or not. But if you don't think the offensive game plan calls for more than what Petty did today you are wrong.

Anybody can tell from watching that game that he made a lot of mistakes which is the point. He's going to make mistakes. But this is a message board and we are fans so of course we are going to talk about them and critique them. I have no problem with his overall performance. I would just like to see him use big weapons like Brandon Marshall a lot more to help make things easier for him. He clearly feels comfortable throwing to guys like Anderson and ASJ because he probably has thrown to them a lot more in practice. Thats fine for now. But he needs to start spreading the ball around more because locking in on Robbie Anderson of all people is going to get him into trouble. 

It worked out fine today, he did some nice things. Anderson made some nice plays, Powell was great. And they played the worst team in the NFC. So they got the win. 

But he still has a ways to go in his development. Thats all i'm saying. 

All of this "it was the 49ers BS has to go. We were 3-9 coming in - haven't won on the west coast in many years - our O-Line was porous, and there wasn't much separation by the receivers, and we still won. The 49ers were playing really tight man coverage today. Their O stinks, but that has less to do with Petty.

25 minutes ago, jetrider said:

A proven career hack is the part you missed. Try reading the rest too.

Better question then.  Who says we're signing a career hack?

Who said we need to bring in a career hack? Whats the reasoning to that?

27 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Did anyone hear Petty say banana, banana, banana at the line?  I started shrieking. I looked at the old man to confirm that he really said banana, banana, banana.  It is the year of the monkey, so there you have it.

Banana is the new Omaha 

11 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

No need to waste time on QB talk. Hack is the back up build the team around Petty. 

so you got tickets to his enshrinement in the hof?  thought not.  petty played a good game.  he recovered from the early pick and made some pretty nice throws.  he also moved around effectively.  but he also held onto the ball too long and he was also aided by powell running so well.  and enunwa bailed him out with that catch.

6 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

All of this "it was the 49ers BS has to go. We were 3-9 coming in - haven't won on the west coast in many years - our O-Line was porous, and there wasn't much separation by the receivers, and we still won. The 49ers were playing really tight man coverage today. Their O stinks, but that has less to do with Petty.

The 49ers are a terrible team. Thats just a fact. They stink. 

It doesn't take away from the Jets win but you have to put it into perspective is all. Two bad teams played each other in SF yesterday. The Jets got off to a really slow start and then played well. They showed me something by coming back and fighting in that game. But the 49ers are terrible.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its december of 2016, why not wait and see who becomes available.  You have no idea if a quality backup vet will be available or not

Oh, now you're changing it to "backup" vet? LOL 

Glad you finally got real and admit that no quality vet starter will be available. 

Archived