Petty is the guy.

CobraVerde

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Warfish said:

If it's ok with the OP, I'd prefer to hold off anointing Petty until, at the very least, we see how he plays out the rest of this season.

Whomever "the man" will be next year will be determined in the offseason anyway, based on tape, the GM and HC's thoughts, and whomever else might be available.

With that said, I'm glad to have had an opportunity see Petty play today, and congrats to him for his first career win.

This....

58 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Oh, now you're changing it to "backup" vet? LOL 

Glad you finally got real and admit that no quality vet starter will be available. 

Where did anyone say anything more than we'll go into the season with the kids but we'll bring in a vet.

No one said anything more.  You're still stuck on whatever thinking you decided on, not what people are saying.  

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where did anyone say anything more than we'll go into the season with the kids but we'll bring in a vet.

No one said anything more.  You're still stuck on whatever thinking you decided on, not what people are saying.  

The OP said build the team around Petty. Drdetroit said we'll bring in a vet to compete with Petty (for the starting job, not the backup job).

You started your own conversation about Petty being the backup. I responded to drdetroit's post not yours.

You're the one that drifted off in your own world.

Petty may be able to be a good QB but he needs support.  The defense can't put him in huge holes and the offensive line needs a big revamping to allow the running game to take the pressure off.  Hack will never be the guy and is wasted 2nd round pick,  They know it.

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

The OP said build the team around Petty. Drdetroit said we'll bring in a vet to compete with Petty (for the starting job, not the backup job).

You started your own conversation about Petty being the backup. I responded to drdetroit's post not yours.

You're the one that drifted off in your own world.

You just have this need to disect every word I wrote and tell me what I meant?  

Talk about drifting, your point was there won't be a viable vet available and I said we don't know who will be available next year, it's December of 2016.  Want to argue that, want to tell me it's wrong or changes if we're talking starter or backup, gomfor it.  I'm getting your point or where the drift is.  Sounds like you just felt the need to argue

Talk about drifting, your point was there won't be a viable vet available and I said we don't know who will be available next year, it's December of 2016.  Want to argue that, want to tell me it's wrong or changes if we're talking starter or backup, gomfor it.  I'm getting your point or where the drift is.  Sounds like you just felt the need to argue

Pot

Say hello to Kettle

Oh the ironing

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

What? You go from thread to thread and start all kinds of ridiculous arguments then try to waffle and spin your way out.

Notice I wasn't talking to you in the first place. Try following a thread for once or is that beyond your capability?

Yes, it's Dec 2016. I was talking about next year like everyone else is. 

Anyone with half a brain knows no quality vet starter will be available. 

You can't even name one potential hopeful because any QB worth starting will keep his current job.

Now please STFU. 

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What? You go from thread to thread and start all kinds of ridiculous arguments then try to waffle and spin your way out.

Notice I wasn't talking to you in the first place. Try following a thread for once or is that beyond your capability?

Yes, it's Dec 2016. I was talking about next year like everyone else is. 

Anyone with half a brain knows no quality vet starter will be available. 

You can't even name one potential hopeful because any QB worth starting will keep his current job.

Now please STFU. 

WTF are you talking about?  List the arguments and where I try to waffle and spin my way.  

Stick to one subject.  I said we dont know who will be available next year.

You want to debate that, go for it.  You want to give me the entire list of QBs who will be available through FA or trade, go for it.

Otherwise you STFU and move on, youre not making a point

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF are you talking about?  Stick to one subject.  I said we dont know who will be available next year.

You want to debate that, go for it.  You want to give me the entire list of QBs who will be available through FA or trade, go for it.

Otherwise you STFU and move on

Take your own advice.

22 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Petty didn't play great.  He was OK.  He has 3 games left to blow our socks off.  Fingers crossed.

Personally, I've not really been a Petty fan. But I definitely wanted FitzLOSER off the team.

Petty may not be a winner, yet. But he's clearly not a loser, which Fitzpatrick most definitely is.

So, the point is that it's better to have Just A Guy starting than a proven loser, which Fitzpatrick (and his apologists) most definitely are.

At the very least Petty is getting some live reps and hopefully gets a little more comfortable in the pocket.  There will be a vet of some kind here next year with the pups, hopefully not someone that will have the fanbase screaming to start such as Romo or Cutler. I would be fine with Fitz as a backup at the vet minimum, since I think he is resigned to his fate.

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

At the very least Petty is getting some live reps and hopefully gets a little more comfortable in the pocket.  There will be a vet of some kind here next year with the pups, hopefully not someone that will have the fanbase screaming to start such as Romo or Cutler. I would be fine with Fitz as a backup at the vet minimum, since I think he is resigned to his fate.

He almost wouldnt play in 2016 and said he has enough money and wont play for less thahn $12 million. You think the VET minimum will make him return?

1- I highly doubt it

2- Some team will pay more (not a lot more)

Lets go with Petty and Hack and thats that. Again if we can keep Geno for less than say $2 milli. Keep him.

42 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He almost wouldnt play in 2016 and said he has enough money and wont play for less thahn $12 million. You think the VET minimum will make him return?

1- I highly doubt it

2- Some team will pay more (not a lot more)

Lets go with Petty and Hack and thats that. Again if we can keep Geno for less than say $2 milli. Keep him.

Geno? Why? So he can stomp up and down the sidelines as soon as one of them have a bad run then proceed to enter game and suck himself...no thanks....if you are going to bring on 3rd QB it needs to be someone who will help the pups.

9 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Geno? Why? So he can stomp up and down the sidelines as soon as one of them have a bad run then proceed to enter game and suck himself...no thanks....if you are going to bring on 3rd QB it needs to be someone who will help the pups.

I dont want to pay more than say $2.5 mil.   Who did you have in mind at ANY price below $5 million?

Geno's rookie year is as good a year as we have had with a QB since 2011. He has more raw talent and was never developed.

Fitz last year was lucky .. he sucks. 

I don't know if Petty is the guy but he's got 3 more games to earn the right to compete for the starting job.... then he's got camp to earn it for real.

Yesterday it was nice to see him show some heart and grit but the true test starts on Saturday with 3 divisional games in a row. Play well against the competition and he might just be the guy.

IMO, Petty has already shown significant growth.

In his previous start, he, like the FitzLOSER he replaced, had a chance to win and, instead, made a play to lose the game (the INT). In this game, he made plays to WIN the game and didn't make plays, in crunch time, to lose it.

He's already surpassed his Fitzmentor.

14 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I dont want to pay more than say $2.5 mil.   Who did you have in mind at ANY price below $5 million?

Geno's rookie year is as good a year as we have had with a QB since 2011. He has more raw talent and was never developed.

I suggest Hoyer.  I think $2.5 would get him.  Josh McCown is behind Griffin and Kessler now and due $3.6 next year.  Might be worth a 6th/7th.  Even though they suck, I think there is value in having guys that have been through a few camps and unlike Geno, they won't be pouting or throwing tantrums on the sideline.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I suggest Hoyer.  I think $2.5 would get him.  Josh McCown is behind Griffin and Kessler now and due $3.6 next year.  Might be worth a 6th/7th.  Even though they suck, I think there is value in having guys that have been through a few camps and unlike Geno, they won't be pouting or throwing tantrums on the sideline.

I'd bring in a Hoyer had Petty played 6-8 games this year and looked good-decent. If he continues to progress he'd earn himself the right to compete for the job next year. 2017 should be about finding a potential long term answer at the position, not a retread. I'd go in to camp with Petty, Geno and Hackenberg. Let them battle it out. 3 young guys. 

Please stop with the mention of Gino next year-he won't be here. He was drafted here because he had 2 first round draft choices to catch balls in college, has physical skills but not the judgment required. He has shown little or no development, Has never shown leadership skills. We have to rebuild the Line, get or develop a quality tight end among other things. We should sink or swim with Petty and Hack and a new HC. Bowles seems to be a bright guy and was considered a quality DC but not the decision maker required of the man in charge of the game.

Best case scenario Saturday is another close 2nd half for Petty to show his mental toughness. Young QBs are working with such a small playbook. Most of the plays Petty made yesterday were of the, I'm bailing & slinging variety, nothing wrong with that. I got a kick out of our fans saying, "he won't get away with that all the time", Brett Favre made a LIVING on that sh*t early in his career. I saw a special on Favre & it was hilarious, Mike Holmgren called it the noooooo......YES offense,lol. Took Holmgren years to reign Favre in & make him a QB. When Petty scrambled to his left & threw that deep one to Anderson, that was a noooooo.....YES! moment. Very few players can do that sh*t, so god knows what Petty could possibly be? He could be a footnote in Jets history, BAD PRACTICE PLAYER, Great game day QB. You just never know.

Dak Prescott playing with the best Oline & the best RB in football  was like 1 for 15 on 3rd down last night! Granted the Giants D is pretty good but everything is relative. Petty played behind a bottom 5 oline with guys being moved all over the place & Bilal Powell. How would Dak or Wentz look in that same scenario?

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

1st off I think it is a pipe dream that Geno would even WANT to come back

2nd even on slight chance he wanted to he would be ruining his career because at the slightest mistakes the boobirds would come out in full...maybe he is narsisist and goes for that sort of thing but clearly min half the fan base is done with him

so regardless of what Gruden says with diareah of the mouth it ain't happening

However you slice it there will be a QB drama next year. Wouldn't be the Jets of late if there wasn't. I didnt see the game but caught the highlights. This kid has got talent. He is definitely a gun slinger. Style does actually remind me of Favre. He made some tough tbrows. He is going to struggle and make mistakes. It's only his second start. But the kids got heart, guts, and a rifle arm. 

Archived