Where Does Geno Smith End Up? Only Serious Posts Please

JetBlue

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think from a talent and experience perspective, Geno is exactly the kind of QB we should be targeting in the offseason.  A young but still experienced QB who will come fairly cheap and can step in and compete with Hack and Petty for the starting job.  Unfortunately for Geno I do think he just brings too much baggage to be worth keeping around next year.   I could see him going to a team like Arizona, could be very interesting to see what an offensive mind like Bruce Arians could do with him.

40 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Low cost is one thing, young is another. You continuously say young is a requirement for the backup for this team. I don't get it at all. Actually, I do. You are a Geno fan, and you want him back because you want him to start. Its cool man your entitled to your opinion, just be honest about it, so when he fails miserably you can eat your crow.

I am a Jets fan and I think for myself.

Looking at it objectively, I do not see any NFL team giving Geno a shot to compete for a starter's job.  I am pretty sure that the Jets were shopping him pretty heavily from the time Fitzpatrick signed on and they didn't get a nibble.  Not when Bridgewater went down, not when RG3 went down, not when Cutler went down.  Not as a bridge QB for the Rams, Eagles or Cowboys.  LA opted to start Case Keenum.  SF went with Gabbert and Kaepernick - they are going to go with Geno now.  

I think he will get signed somewhere as a #2/3 QB and he should choose carefully because where he goes next will probably make a huge difference in the rest of his career.  He isn't going to get paid like Matt Flynn, so he'd better manage this well. 

The idea of him coming back to the Jets seems unlikely to me.  No reason to give a 2nd contract to a QB they obviously don't like much.  If it is a new regime, they will bring their own guy in.  If he signs somewhere else he could contribute to getting a comp pick back.  That is a reason they might not have wanted to trade him, but it is also a reason they wouldn't want to sign him back. 

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is a joke, right?

SAR I

No not at all why?  Free agent QB's are free agent QB's for a reason it's not like Aaron Rodgers is becoming available.  Not sure what names are out there that are so much better.  Glennon?  What has he done that puts him above Geno.  I don't even want to hear about Cutler/Romo, I like Romo from a talent perspective but we need to start thinking about finding our long term franchise QB and those types of guys don't help get us there.  I want a guy in the offseason who can compete for the starting position but isn't coming in as the clear cut starter.  Time to play the young guys

16 hours ago, JetBlue said:

For those of you who could care less, please, please do us all a big favor and just ignore this post.  We all know he will soon be an ex-Jet so we don't have to rehash how much he sucks etc. etc. 

As much as many despise the guy, someone will probably sign him this off season and I am curious as to where he may wind up.   

Here are some possibilities: 

Cleveland Browns - I mean why the hell not.  I mean RG3... enough said about that.

San Francisco 49ers - It is obvious the Kaepernick is leaving; if they don't get Romo or Cutler, I could see Smith landing there.  Who knows, maybe he thrives under Chip Kellys' offense, assuming he is still the HC.

Chicago - If Cutler leaves they may consider bringing in someone like Geno to compete although I think they would be a contender for Glennon.

Arizona - Palmer is done; I am not sure who their back up is but again I could see them bringing Geno and having him compete. Glennon is an option here too. 

Of course he could be signed as a back up for any number of teams looking for a young, cheap veteran quarterback with starting experience but those are the 4 teams where he has the best chance to win a starting job imho.  

It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career around... 

Cleveland would be the obvious choice. It looks as if Barkley is nailing down the Bears job, but you never know. Realistically I see Geno as a backup somewhere. Maybe Dallas, Washington or even the Giants.

Your logic forgets one thing:
If Geno Smith is a New York Jet next year, I'm not writing Woody Johnson a check for $5,000 in April, they can kiss my season tickets goodbye.
Multiply by 27,500 season ticket owners representing 82,500 fans.
SAR I

SAR I nails it.

After 4 years of his crappy play and cancerous off field and locker room antics, bringing back Smith, the least talented QB in Jet history would be an insult to any loyal fans

57 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I could see him in Dallas as a backup once Tony is gone. 

Depends on if he REALLY wants to be a starter, or if he wants to rehab his game as a back up for a year.

Even Jerry Jones isnt that stupid to sign this bum.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Glennon?  What has he done that puts him above Geno.

They both are similar in that they have losing starting records with bad clubs.  The thing that separates them is that if you watch Glennon, it is very clear that he throws an extremely accurate long range ball. The announcers have remarked on it, and watching him shows that's it is so.  That automatically gives a team a strength for the defense to be concerned about.  Geno didn't have much in the way of receiving talent during his starting years, (Decker was hurt half of the one year Geno had him),  so we don't know how hot he can get with good receiving talent.  But Glennon has already proven to have an outstanding talent that Geno has not proven as of yet.  That puts Glennon ahead.

13 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Can't you read? I tasted that it makes good economic sense for the Jets to bring him back. There is dead money due next year, including $5 MM from the stupid signing of Futz. That is not free money. It is money that has to be accounted for. It is money that the Jets can't use to out bid another team for a FA. 

Again, Geno also fills the role of a back up. One who may not have to take reps from Petty or Hack. Like I asked another poster, who else off the street is young and can come in with those attributes? You let me know. I am waiting

No need for you to wait. Petty will be backing up whoever Mac signs this offseason and he will sign a veteran QB or at least someone he believes can take over immediately as the starter. Glennon and Cutler come to mind but I'm hoping Mac will do his due diligence in securing a bonafide starter. GGGGGeno will be playing in Canada next year. Why Mac didn't cut him as his first act as GM is beyond me. 

No not at all why?  Free agent QB's are free agent QB's for a reason it's not like Aaron Rodgers is becoming available.  Not sure what names are out there that are so much better.  Glennon?  What has he done that puts him above Geno.  I don't even want to hear about Cutler/Romo, I like Romo from a talent perspective but we need to start thinking about finding our long term franchise QB and those types of guys don't help get us there.  I want a guy in the offseason who can compete for the starting position but isn't coming in as the clear cut starter.  Time to play the young guys

30 tds and 15 picks Geno is 28 tds 36 picks

Since he's one of the better young qbs in the league,  Geno may be re-signed here. Otherwise he'll end up in Jacksonville,  Cleveland,  Miamj  Arizona or Chicago.

He'll start somewhere next year.  There aren't 32 Qbs in the NFL with better tape and more talent than Geno.  All of our Qbs are demonstratively worse including Petty and Fitz. 

Glennon?  What has he done that puts him above Geno.  

Geno Smith, Career:

33 Games, 30 Starts, 12-18 Record (.400), 501-for-866 (57.9%) for 5,962 Yards, 28 TD's, 36 INT's, 77 Sacks, 17 Fumbles, 135 Carries, 647 Yards, 7 TD's Rushing

Average Geno Smith Game:  15 for 26 for 181 Yards, 0.8 TD vs. 1.09 INT, Sacked 2.3 times, 0.5 Fumbles, 4 Carries for 19 Yards and 0.2 TD's

VS.

Mike Glennon, Career:

21 Games, 18 Starts, 5-13 Record (.277), 374-for-630 (59.4%) for 4,100 Yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's, 56 Sacks, 9 Fumbles, 37 Carries, 86 Yards, 0 TD's Rushing

Average Mike Glennon Game:  18 for 30 for 195 Yards, 1.4 TD's vs. 0.7 INT, Sacked 2.7 times, 0.4 Fumbles, 2 Carries for 4 Yards and 0 TD's.

I think asking "what has Glennon done that makes him so much better than Geno" is, basic on production, a fair question for fans to ask.

Since he's one of the better young qbs in the league,  Geno may be re-signed here. Otherwise he'll end up in Jacksonville,  Cleveland,  Minnesota,  Arizona or Chicago.  He'll start somewhere next year.  There aren't 32 Qbs in the NFL better than Geno. All of our Qbs are demonstratively worse including Petty and Fitz.

Post of the week nomination

In the DELUSION department

7 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Post of the week nomination

In the DELUSION department

Gruden agrees: the delusional one is you.  Geno has always played well when given weapons.  His performance  record over his last 5 games,  with weapons available, is sterling.  

He is accurate, has fast feet, an above average arm, better decision making and good mechanics.  In comparison Petty only has a strong arm. 

Gruden agrees: the delusional one is you.  Geno has always played well when given weapons.  His performance  record over his last 5 games,  with weapons available, is sterling.  
He is accurate, has fast feet, an above average arm, better decision making and good mechanics.  In comparison Petty only has a strong arm. 

Gruden...please just stop.

Jamarcus Jr had weapons this year. He came in and 8 plays later scrambled for a 15 yard loss and followed that up with a pick

In the game he started, disaster was averted by #91 of the Ravens.

Bryce Petty showed more ability in the second half last week than Geno showed in his entire fiasco of a "career" as a Jet player.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Seriously, I think he re-signs with the Jets, and I wouldn't mind if he did. He'd be cheap and still a very viable backup. May be one of these days NFL life will be fair to the guy

fair?? if he paid the 400 bucks he owed for a flight to a charity event of a guy making 1/4th what he was making - he would be looking at a nice fat contract this year (assuming he was still the starter).  he's an idiot and an example to all new players on not to do something so stupid.  

look what mediocre qb are making.  he'd be set for life after a few years of playing.

15 hours ago, hawk said:

It's extremely difficult to make predictions before the HC musical chairs and the inevitable QB trade market.  However, I still believe he will end up with Chip Kelly.  That is a scheme he should excel in.  IMO.

does Geno have some college eligibiilty left?

2 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Play the young guys, yes, but bring in a dependable and stable backup-caliber quarterback, not another unknown kid with an attitude problem.

Imagine a world where our rebuilding OL gets Petty hurt in Week 3 and gets Hackenberg hurt in Week 10 and we need someone off the bench to play for 6 weeks.  We want a veteran like Fitzpatrick or Sanchez in there, not an immature and unproven guy like Geno Smith.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Play the young guys, yes, but bring in a dependable and stable backup-caliber quarterback, not another unknown kid with an attitude problem.

Imagine a world where our rebuilding OL gets Petty hurt in Week 3 and gets Hackenberg hurt in Week 10 and we need someone off the bench to play for 6 weeks.  We want a veteran like Fitzpatrick or Sanchez in there, not an immature and unproven guy like Geno Smith.

SAR I

If your Week 3/Week 10 injuries were to come to pass, would playing some washed up veteran at that point matter?  Presumably our record would be poor in such circumstances.  We certainly wouldn't be title-bound in that case.

Would we not be better off playing another young up-and-comer rather than wasting games on a Fitz/Sanchez?

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If your Week 3/Week 10 injuries were to come to pass, would playing some washed up veteran at that point matter?  Presumably our record would be poor in such circumstances.  We certainly wouldn't be title-bound in that case.

Would we not be better off playing another young up-and-comer rather than wasting games on a Fitz/Sanchez?

Yes....if that up-and-comer is a young guy Maccagnan just drafted.  No more looks at Geno Smith.  There is nothing to see.  That's my angle.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

SAR I nails it.

After 4 years of his crappy play and cancerous off field and locker room antics, bringing back Smith, the least talented QB in Jet history would be an insult to any loyal fans

Exactly. 

It's clear that Myhero's have no understanding of just how hated this guy is in New York and how intolerant season ticket holders are of his type of behavior.  He's an outcast.  He's dead to us.  We don't want to hear his name ever again.

SAR I

51 minutes ago, elgoman said:

Since he's one of the better young qbs in the league,  Geno may be re-signed here. Otherwise he'll end up in Jacksonville,  Cleveland,  Miamj  Arizona or Chicago.

He'll start somewhere next year.  There aren't 32 Qbs in the NFL with better tape and more talent than Geno.  All of our Qbs are demonstratively worse including Petty and Fitz. 

Better young QBs?  I think he will start a game or two, but that is just an indication of how often guys get hurt.  Forgetting the general idea that you and I know what the "tape" says, if these teams planned to start Geno, why didn't they trade for him?  The Jets shopped him and received "soft interest"  Is there any GM that is soft when thinking of a starting QB?  Especially, a young cheap one?

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Geno Smith, Career:

33 Games, 30 Starts, 12-18 Record (.400), 501-for-866 (57.9%) for 5,962 Yards, 28 TD's, 36 INT's, 77 Sacks, 17 Fumbles, 135 Carries, 647 Yards, 7 TD's Rushing

Average Geno Smith Game:  15 for 26 for 181 Yards, 0.8 TD vs. 1.09 INT, Sacked 2.3 times, 0.5 Fumbles, 4 Carries for 19 Yards and 0.2 TD's

VS.

Mike Glennon, Career:

21 Games, 18 Starts, 5-13 Record (.277), 374-for-630 (59.4%) for 4,100 Yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's, 56 Sacks, 9 Fumbles, 37 Carries, 86 Yards, 0 TD's Rushing

Average Mike Glennon Game:  18 for 30 for 195 Yards, 1.4 TD's vs. 0.7 INT, Sacked 2.7 times, 0.4 Fumbles, 2 Carries for 4 Yards and 0 TD's.

I think asking "what has Glennon done that makes him so much better than Geno" is, basic on production, a fair question for fans to ask.

I am one of the guys that thinks Glennon is way overrated around here, but the number one thing that coaches are looking for (especially defensive head coaches) is QBs that don't turn the ball over.  The 53 - 24 is pretty significant.  There was an article out there discussing how coaches consider how a QB fails as an important indicator of why they will keep giving a guy a shot.  Turnovers are a big portion of what they don't like.  That hurts the defense and the general competence of the team.  Geno does not seem to fail in an acceptable way.  

Archived