Where Does Geno Smith End Up? Only Serious Posts Please

JetBlue

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami makes sense, especially if Tannenbaum hasn't let go of the, "he had a good game against us, let's go get him," mentality. SF also makes sense, because Chip Kelly is exactly the kind of guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone else and can make Geno reach his physical potential. Returning to the Jets makes no sense for Geno or the Jets.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Geno Smith, Career:

33 Games, 30 Starts, 12-18 Record (.400), 501-for-866 (57.9%) for 5,962 Yards, 28 TD's, 36 INT's, 77 Sacks, 17 Fumbles, 135 Carries, 647 Yards, 7 TD's Rushing

Average Geno Smith Game:  15 for 26 for 181 Yards, 0.8 TD vs. 1.09 INT, Sacked 2.3 times, 0.5 Fumbles, 4 Carries for 19 Yards and 0.2 TD's

VS.

Mike Glennon, Career:

21 Games, 18 Starts, 5-13 Record (.277), 374-for-630 (59.4%) for 4,100 Yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's, 56 Sacks, 9 Fumbles, 37 Carries, 86 Yards, 0 TD's Rushing

Average Mike Glennon Game:  18 for 30 for 195 Yards, 1.4 TD's vs. 0.7 INT, Sacked 2.7 times, 0.4 Fumbles, 2 Carries for 4 Yards and 0 TD's.

I think asking "what has Glennon done that makes him so much better than Geno" is, basic on production, a fair question for fans to ask.

So we sign this guy to another unreasonable contract just like last year based on this small sample? Let him get paid elsewhere. The Jets have too much dead money to waste on him. They have two unproven QB's on the roster who need the opportunity. Glennon may be very good. Hack and Petty also. Moreover, they are a more cost effective solution.

The Jets can't waste draft picks either.. 

35 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

So we sign this guy to another unreasonable contract just like last year based on this small sample? Let him get paid elsewhere. The Jets have too much dead money to waste on him. They have two unproven QB's on the roster who need the opportunity. Glennon may be very good. Hack and Petty also. Moreover, they are a more cost effective solution.

The Jets can't waste draft picks either.. 

If the Jets want to go with an ex-Jet quarterback, they'd grab Mark Sanchez, he's got far more experience, far more success, and he's cheaper.

And while I'd prefer we don't go that route, I could at least wrap my brain around it because the guy played very well here for a few years unlike the other guy who just sucked the whole time.

SAR I

1 hour ago, slats said:

Miami makes sense, especially if Tannenbaum hasn't let go of the, "he had a good game against us, let's go get him," mentality. SF also makes sense, because Chip Kelly is exactly the kind of guy who thinks he's smarter than everyone else and can make Geno reach his physical potential. Returning to the Jets makes no sense for Geno or the Jets.  

Does this "Geno to Miami" idea presume Tannenknee injury is career ending?

Or do you think they'd move on from Matt Moore so Geno could be the #2?

I agree on your last point, Geno back here makes no sense to either party, from all we've seen.  Neither Macc nor Geno have shown they would want such a thing.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree on your last point, Geno back here makes no sense to either party, from all we've seen.  Neither Macc nor Geno have shown they would want such a thing.

I'd think a replacement for Moore depending, obviously, on how he finishes the season. He's got a $1.75M salary coming next year with $1M guaranteed, though, so who knows? I do think Tanny would both like a player he's seen perform very well against his team and, simultaneously, maybe stick it to the Jets a little bit (should he miraculously pan out). 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd think a replacement for Moore depending, obviously, on how he finishes the season. He's got a $1.75M salary coming next year with $1M guaranteed, though, so who knows? I do think Tanny would both like a player he's seen perform very well against his team and, simultaneously, maybe stick it to the Jets a little bit (should he miraculously pan out). 

It's an interesting thought.  

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

The knee is not career ending.  They are saying now that it is sprained and not torn.  May or may not need surgery.  That was the word two days ago anyhow

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

If the Jets want to go with an ex-Jet quarterback, they'd grab Mark Sanchez, he's got far more experience, far more success, and he's cheaper.

And while I'd prefer we don't go that route, I could at least wrap my brain around it because the guy played very well here for a few years unlike the other guy who just sucked the whole time.

SAR I

Sanchez has been downhill for a while now. He was just asked to be a basic game manager for a team that had a Great running game, and anchor D.. That is certainly not our team anymore.. Also while it may be the same uniform, everything else would be foreign to Sanchez.. Very Different system, zero chemistry with current players.. Unless you count the C who may not be here next yr anyway.. So that is where geno and fitz would have huge advantage.. Assuming they stick with gailey another yr.. But nobody wants to see fitz back.. We need a qb who can handle what is going to be even a weaker Oline most likely next yr.. Statues like Fitzpatrick and Sanchez are not a good fit at all.. 

56 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Sanchez has been downhill for a while now. He was just asked to be a basic game manager for a team that had a Great running game, and anchor D.. That is certainly not our team anymore.. Also while it may be the same uniform, everything else would be foreign to Sanchez.. Very Different system, zero chemistry with current players.. Unless you count the C who may not be here next yr anyway.. So that is where geno and fitz would have huge advantage.. Assuming they stick with gailey another yr.. But nobody wants to see fitz back.. We need a qb who can handle what is going to be even a weaker Oline most likely next yr.. Statues like Fitzpatrick and Sanchez are not a good fit at all.. 

Agreed, I don't want Geno, Sanchez, or Fitzpatrick for that matter, but if we are to get a veteran backup in here I would prefer one that's a clean slate, not one of these three known failures.

That said, I believe I know what is going to happen and that is that Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the #2 behind the winner of the Petty vs. Hackenberg battle that will be the story of the summer.  He's older, his starting days are over, he's got a ton of young kids in school, he's going to want to stay in New York and Chan Gailey is going to be comfortable with his demeanor and knowledge of his system.  Again, I don't want this to happen, but I believe it will happen.

SAR I

I hate to say it because it is the last thing I want to see happen, but I can see a scenario that smith returns to the Jets.  I've said all along smith won't be back with the Jets because he doesn't want to be here.

He might have no choice.  This broken leg isn't going to do him no favors.  He may, or may not be ready for camp next year.  There are certain situations that could unravel for the Jets that we might have a Fitz replay.  He's not really of any value to another team, but he some value to the Jets.

Very long shot..........................but

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, I don't want Geno, Sanchez, or Fitzpatrick for that matter, but if we are to get a veteran backup in here I would prefer one that's a clean slate, not one of these three known failures.

That said, I believe I know what is going to happen and that is that Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the #2 behind the winner of the Petty vs. Hackenberg battle that will be the story of the summer.  He's older, his starting days are over, he's got a ton of young kids in school, he's going to want to stay in New York and Chan Gailey is going to be comfortable with his demeanor and knowledge of his system.  Again, I don't want this to happen, but I believe it will happen.

SAR I

Next year is a wash, best case scenario is probably 7-9.. That's a pushing it.. There are just too many holes on both sides of the ball, and with Bowles likely back nothing will change.. It was laughable how much fitz was over valuing himself last offseason.. Mac certainly brought him back closer to earth but still overpaid.. I don't see fitz attitude changing much again this offseason.. I'm sure he is going to stomp his feet again and make absurd demands that no one will pay.. Mac is not going to play that game with him 2 years in a row, especially after the egg he layed this yr.. They should not offer him more than 3 million for 1 yr.. If he does not accept it then move down the line to the long list of available backups.. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:44 PM, JetBlue said:

For those of you who could care less, please, please do us all a big favor and just ignore this post.  We all know he will soon be an ex-Jet so we don't have to rehash how much he sucks etc. etc. 

As much as many despise the guy, someone will probably sign him this off season and I am curious as to where he may wind up.   

Here are some possibilities: 

Cleveland Browns - I mean why the hell not.  I mean RG3... enough said about that.

San Francisco 49ers - It is obvious the Kaepernick is leaving; if they don't get Romo or Cutler, I could see Smith landing there.  Who knows, maybe he thrives under Chip Kellys' offense, assuming he is still the HC.

Chicago - If Cutler leaves they may consider bringing in someone like Geno to compete although I think they would be a contender for Glennon.

Arizona - Palmer is done; I am not sure who their back up is but again I could see them bringing Geno and having him compete. Glennon is an option here too. 

Of course he could be signed as a back up for any number of teams looking for a young, cheap veteran quarterback with starting experience but those are the 4 teams where he has the best chance to win a starting job imho.  

It will be interesting to see if he can turn his career around... 

The Jets should resign Geno Smith . He's clearly better than Bryce Petty or Hackenberg  .

On 12/14/2016 at 9:40 AM, Big Blocker said:

My answer to the OP is I couldn't care less as long as it is not on the Jets.  and of course I don't want him on the Jets.  And I am dead serious.

Think that covers it.

Got it thanks.

On 12/14/2016 at 4:20 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Sanchez was practically given the starting job with the Broncos and literally threw it away. How any sane person can even suggest this dude be signed is unbelievable.

Geno goes to Cleveland, or he spends most of the offseason waiting for an offer.  

Some team eventually overpays him ( somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-year/$1.5 million) just before camp starts for a shot to win a no. 2 or 3 job.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Maybe because it wasn't funny. 

Humor is subjective. I thought the thread premise was hilarious. Maybe a forum for collaborative public discussion isn't ideal, if you want to control the interpretation and participation at this level.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Geno goes to Cleveland, or he spends most of the offseason waiting for an offer.  

Some team eventually overpays him ( somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-year/$1.5 million) just before camp starts for a shot to win a no. 2 or 3 job.

Cleveland already has RG3 and Kessler plus they are taking a Qb at #1

No one is overpaying for Geno he's getting the league vet minimum

11 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Cleveland already has RG3 and Kessler plus they are taking a Qb at #1

No one is overpaying for Geno he's getting the league vet minimum

Given recent history, if any team is willing to overpay for a QB, it'll be the Jets.

Considering we already have two young guys to develop and doesn't look like anyone worth taking in the draft, I think Geno ends up back here for around 3mil per.  

Still 4 times cheaper than Fitz and at least twice as good.

Given recent history, if any team is willing to overpay for a QB, it'll be the Jets.
Considering we already have two young guys to develop and doesn't look like anyone worth taking in the draft, I think Geno ends up back here for around 3mil per.  
Still 4 times cheaper than Fitz and at least twice as good.

Your girlfriend Geno isn't twice as good as any NFL QBs. In fact, based on performance, Geno is at least twice as bad as most Lingerie League and Junior High School quarterbacks

28 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

As SAR I accurately stated

If the Jets were to commit franchise suicide by resigning Garbagecan Geno in 2017, they would find themselves playing games before small gatherings that might include you and joewilly and 11 other Jet "fans".

I imagine this guy narrating most of your posts...

8iOR9sP.gif

On 12/14/2016 at 9:25 AM, SAR I said:

Your logic forgets one thing:

If Geno Smith is a New York Jet next year, I'm not writing Woody Johnson a check for $5,000 in April, they can kiss my season tickets goodbye.

Multiply by 27,500 season ticket owners representing 82,500 fans.

SAR I

Your logic forgets one thing...if you wont write that check that does not mean your seats would go unsold and unoccupied henceforth and forevermore...you and however many other season ticket holders' choosing to boycott would only mean you would no longer have season tickets...but there are plenty of others who would gladly buy them if you wont.

Boycotting may make you feel like you've done something but the idea that your doing so is hurting Woody Johnson's bottom line is laughable.

46 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

I went to that game and watched Geno stink up the joint until, thankfully Ben Ijalana, this seasons winner of the IK Emkapali Jet MVP award allowed Ravens #91 to get past him and end the Geno Error as a Jet forever

So you sat and watched Fitz stink all season and couldn't take one half of Geno?  Okay sure; what did you see that was so awful that game?  The td pass to Enunwa was perfectly placed, allowing him to catch it in stride. He was playing decently in his first start in over a year, when he got hurt but don't let reality interfere with your hatefest.   

Archived