Shared Stadium Fiasco

joewilly12

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This has been my biggest issue with Woody Johnson. I haven't really hated him like some do, I think he means well, wants to win, and has spent money when he had to.

But when he had a chance to get the Westside Stadium, he dropped the ball. He had a chance to really pull out from the Giants' shadow, give us a state of the art stadium on the NYC skyline, etc etc. 

He could have really given this team a feel of its own identity and blew it.

You are obviously ignorant of the facts.  Woody tried like hell to get us a West Side Stadium.  Sheldon Silver and the rest of his felonious friends (may they all enjoy their time in prison, BTW) stopped it from ever happening. There is nothing more that Woody wanted than a Manhattan stadium.  

36 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Whatever dude, look at me I'm cool I insult other posters GFY 

LOL... some reply...   thereby proving beyond any doubt that you thrive on being a drama queen.  It's no insult.  It's the truth whether you like it or not.  

33 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I did a Ctrl+F... The article never used the word "Fiasco."  

The use of the word fiasco was to attract attention to the post.  
Use of extremes and unwarranted exaggeration is a major factor in being an effective drama queen
fi·as·co
fēˈaskō/
noun
  1. a thing that is a complete failure, especially in a ludicrous or humiliating way.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

1 end zone should say Woody Johnson the other Mara's and Tisch's 

This stadium should have been the mecca of the NFL. 

The stadium is the mecca of the NFL.  No stadium in the league puts more fans in the seats than MetLife does.

Neutral endzones aren't a first for this team.  In fact, if you knew your Jets history the most important Jets game ever played in New York had neutral endzones.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The stadium is the mecca of the NFL.

Neutral endzones aren't a first for this team.  In fact, if you knew your Jets history the most important Jets game ever played in New York had neutral endzones.

SAR I

Team branded end zones in almost every stadium are a relatively recent phenomenon and its really nothing more than a marketing ploy. It's another way to get the team logo, and in many cases, the conference and league logos in front of millions of eyes. 

5 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Serves the ******* owners right for being cheap bastards and sharing a stadium .

5 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Fixed.

The Jets and Giants are the only NFL franchises sharing a stadium, which they  their fans combined to finance.

Naturally, you are looking at this completely wrong.  Every franchise in the NFL would kill for the opportunity the Jets and Giants have.  An NFL team plays 10 times a year in their stadium.  Why would anyone care what it looks like on the 355 days we aren't using it?  What, there is some special pride in being a Washington Redskins fan because 90,000 empty plastic seats sit there all but 10 days a year?  

A shared stadium makes both our franchises stronger and able to afford free agents and the tens of millions of dollars necessary for non-salary-cap things like training facilities, film study, coaching staffs, trainers, injury recovery, travel, and on and on.  Being a rich franchise helps the team win.  We get paid for the 10 days we use the joint, the Giants eat half the losses on the 345 days a year we struggle to find an event to occupy the place.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Naturally, you are looking at this completely wrong.  Every franchise in the NFL would kill for the opportunity the Jets and Giants have.  An NFL team plays 10 times a year in their stadium.  Why would anyone care what it looks like on the 355 days we aren't using it?  What, there is some special pride in being a Washington Redskins fan because 90,000 empty plastic seats sit there all but 10 days a year?  

A shared stadium makes both our franchises stronger and able to afford free agents and the tens of millions of dollars necessary for non-salary-cap things like training facilities, film study, coaching staffs, trainers, injury recovery, travel, and on and on.  Being a rich franchise helps the team win.  We get paid for the 10 days we use the joint, the Giants eat the losses on the 345 days a year we struggle to find an event to occupy the place.

SAR I

Not to mention that just because the Jets and Giants are the only teams that currently do it, doesn't mean others haven't considered it. The 49ers offered the Raiders a chance to share their new stadium. The Rams may end up sharing the new L.A. stadium with the Chargers and would be glad to do so. 

Plus, how is it any different than sharing a stadium with the Mets for 20 years?

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Of all the losses over the years, the loss of the Westside Stadium was the worst, FU Sheldon Silver (who earned a well deserved 12-Year Prison Sentence) and Woody, who should have caved, 300 million would have been nothing over 20 years for the billionaire and the Jets could have been NY's team

Not this again.

There was a 0.001% chance the Olympics would have chosen Manhattan and Woody rolled the dice for a grab at the brass ring, can't blame him.  No one expected this to work, no one showed up at the multiple rallies they held, only Fireman Ed and a hot dog vendor showed up in Queens for cripesakes when the Jets made a publicity stunt out of pretending to be interested in Flushing.

The Jets are a New Jersey team.  That's where their fanbase is.  We've been in New Jersey for 33 years, we were only in New York for 18.

Knuckleheads.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Not this again.

There was a 0.001% chance the Olympics would have chosen Manhattan and Woody rolled the dice for a grab at the brass ring, can't blame him.  No one expected this to work, no one showed up at the multiple rallies they held, only Fireman Ed and a hot dog vendor showed up in Queens for cripesakes when the Jets made a publicity stunt out of pretending to be interested in Flushing.

The Jets are a New Jersey team.  That's where their fanbase is.  We've been in New Jersey for 33 years, we were only in New York for 18.

Knuckleheads.

SAR I

I don't think we would have gotten the Olympics but we would have had the Final Four every few years, the SB every few years, CFB playoff, etc...

4 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Fiasco? Really? Is not having a logo in the end zone for one game really worth getting upset about? It's going to be 40 degrees and pouring rain and I guess maybe 10k people will be in stands to see those striped end zones.

And  those complaining about the 1.5 Billion dollar stadium should take a look at the proposals for a new Port Authority bus terminal. Estimates run between 4 and 15 billion of taxpayer money for a F--G BUS GARAGE!

Great post, thank you.

The cost of MetLife Stadium was significantly less than Jerry Jones place down in Dallas when adjusted for the cost of living in the world's most expensive city vs. a cow pasture.  Madison Square Garden's rebuild cost more than MetLife, and that was just a refurb job.

SAR I

4 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

As usual the ones whining about this are the ones eating pretzels on their ratty couch, calling for mass firings of everyone and describing their undying love for filthy Tom and the New England Cheaters

Boom.

The logo on an endzone, the color of a plastic seat, and the number of a zip code never won or lost an NFL football game.

SAR I

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

yes it is, these are professional football teams in a billion dollar business.  the average HS field will look nicer than our field on Saturday night.

The reason this is happening is because of the weather.

The stadium CEO made the decision that even though they could flip the endzones properly in time for the Giants game that it wouldn't be safe because of the weather conditions, simple stuff.  They didn't want to risk an injury to a player because the turf wasn't aligned properly.  It's the right call.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This has been my biggest issue with Woody Johnson. I haven't really hated him like some do, I think he means well, wants to win, and has spent money when he had to.

But when he had a chance to get the Westside Stadium, he dropped the ball. He had a chance to really pull out from the Giants' shadow, give us a state of the art stadium on the NYC skyline, etc etc. 

He could have really given this team a feel of its own identity and blew it.

Again with this nonsense.

The WSS was a once in a lifetime opportunity to steal free land in Manhattan.  The odds of it happening were less than 1%.  Woody had the money to try a land grab so he went for it.  No fans were duped into thinking this would ever happen.

Oh, and one more thing:  Fans like you would have hated the place.

With 20,000 fewer seats, the ticket prices and PSL's would have been through the roof.  And getting affordable tickets in the aftermarket with a stadium as a tourist-trap?  Good luck with that.  And with no parking, there goes tailgating.  And with no tailgating and no cheap seats, the place would be filled with even more of the rich bastards you detest so much now.

You can't make this stuff up.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The reason this is happening is because of the weather.

The stadium CEO made the decision that even though they could flip the endzones properly in time for the Giants game that it wouldn't be safe because of the weather conditions, simple stuff.  They didn't want to risk an injury to a player because the turf wasn't aligned properly.  It's the right call.

SAR I

I don't buy the weather excuse, it's the timing of it.  it supposedly takes at least 8-12 hours to change over.  the league should have scheduled the NYG game at 4PM.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Great post, thank you.

The cost of MetLife Stadium was significantly less than Jerry Jones place down in Dallas when adjusted for the cost of living in the world's most expensive city vs. a cow pasture.  Madison Square Garden's rebuild cost more than MetLife, and that was just a refurb job.

SAR I

and we got what we paid for, it's an ugly tin can.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Its called HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE having the logo in the end zone like other NFL teams.

You cannot make this sh*t up with this team. 

JetsAtShea_zps90a47e38.jpg

Yeah, but playing in a baseball stadium atop a baseball diamond in front of 15,000 fewer fans was sooooo much better.

And New York's reward for the Jets after winning the Super Bowl?  We got to play our first 5 games on the road in the 1969 season.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

You hate everything about the Jets. You should apply for the vacant position of Assistant Drama Queen

thanks for being a fan.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

bbt7hcmcyaaroep.jpg

Yeah, because things were so good there, place was packed all the time I'm told.

The City Of New York told the Jets to leave.  So they did.

SAR I

that crowd is going to look like a sell out compared to what we see Sat Night.

No matter where we play fans won't show when we suck, it's always been that way and it always will be- that's a NY area thing.  we aren't green bay w/ nothing else to do.  the new Stadium is hideously ugly BUT it's not red and blue so that's a plus.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

JetsAtShea_zps90a47e38.jpg

Yeah, but playing in a baseball stadium atop a baseball diamond in front of 15,000 fewer fans was sooooo much better.

And New York's reward for the Jets after winning the Super Bowl?  We got to play our first 5 games on the road in the 1969 season.

SAR I

to play 2nd fiddle to a baseball team was one thing, to play 2nd fiddle to an NFL team is another.  The only good thing about the new Stadium is the Jets and Giants are equal partners unlike the old building.

Archived