Bryce Petty...we hardly knew ye....

peebag

dear god...is this true?

"Head Coach Todd Bowles told the media that rookie right tackle Brandon Shell would get the nod if Brent Qvale can’t go, but whoever it is will be facing Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best pass-rusher, and neither is good enough to neutralize him consistently.  Look for a multi-sack day out of Wake" 

If so - I think we should play Fitztragic instead....

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Petty will be 'evaluated' with very limited reps, a stripped down play book, a team that has mailed it in, a jag and injured oline. 

Most rookie QBs have to deal with a weak supporting cast. At least Petty has some decent WRs to target and either Powell or Forte in the backfield. Not ideal, but sometimes you can tell a lot about a QB from the way he handles adversity. 

I go back and forth on this.  At this point in the season we are in an evaluation stage and yes, we should be looking at all the young guys.  At the same time, you want to be able to evaluate your young QB in the ideal circumstances.  It's not about making excuses for the kid it's just more about being honest in evaluating him.  The weather also looks like it may be crappy Sat. night too so I doubt we see a game plan like we saw against SF where he's airing it out every play.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Did Shell get in the game last week?  I feel like I remember hearing his name and he did OKish? for his first time?  Or am I just remembering what I would like to remember?

Shell needs to play so we can see what he can do.  Sometimes guys actually play better in actual games rather than just practice (often it is the reverse) that is why we need to get them on the field in real action.  

14 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

So then go quick and short to the RB's or WR's.

Not every play has to be a deep ball. 

Sheesh

Even better, roll him out because he seems to be better on the run than just dropping back in the pocket.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Petty will be 'evaluated' with very limited reps, a stripped down play book, a team that has mailed it in, a jag and injured oline. 

I'm rather sure our GM knows these variables are in place, and will judge accordingly.  

Just now, JetBlue said:

Shell needs to play so we can see what he can do.  Sometimes guys actually play better in actual games rather than just practice (often it is the reverse) that is why we need to get them on the field in real action.  

Oh no doubt, 100% agree with you, but did he play last week?  Not start but didn't he relieve Qvale last week when he got injured?  He did get injured right?  I feel like I'm totally misremembering this game last week.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Oh no doubt, 100% agree with you, but did he play last week?  Not start but didn't he relieve Qvale last week when he got injured?  He did get injured right?  I feel like I'm totally misremembering this game last week.

he did play last week and did fine. he's better as a run blocker than in pass pro but similar  to Qvale 

Most forget but he also was an extra lineman during the BAL victory 

https://twitter.com/ConnorJRogers/status/790584604386267138

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

he did play last week and did fine. he's better as a run blocker than in pass pro but similar  to Qvale 

Most forget but he also was an extra lineman during the BAL victory 

https://twitter.com/ConnorJRogers/status/790584604386267138

Thanks for the heads up!  I did forget about this play!  Hoping this prospect works out, I'm always patient with OL.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I did forget about this play!  Hoping this prospect works out, I'm always patient with OL.

he's got bloodlines on his side and the league is rife with nepotism. I think he'll be fine or if not him, someone else at RT (Qvale, Ijalana) will probably be fine.

left tackle is much more concerning. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

he's got bloodlines on his side and the league is rife with nepotism. I think he'll be fine or if not him, someone else at RT (Qvale, Ijalana) will probably be fine.

left tackle is much more concerning. 

Agreed as well as C.  Not sure if Mangold is going to stick around or even possibly retire after this year.  He's had some bad injuries that can cause you to really consider retirement, especially last year with that neck injury.

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least he has Robbie Anderson to drop his passes. 

9 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Yes I remember his name being called once or twice; but not in a bad way e.g. penalties lol. 

Just now, j4jets said:

At least he has Robbie Anderson to drop his passes. 

Seriously, J, you need to stop.  Give the kid his due; he made several clutch catches that in traffic.  Did he drop a few? Yes he did.  I know you already know this but I will say it anyway. HE....IS....A.....ROOKIE (An undrafted one at that).  He needs to get better but seriously, give the guy a break.  

21 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Agreed as well as C.  Not sure if Mangold is going to stick around or even possibly retire after this year.  He's had some bad injuries that can cause you to really consider retirement, especially last year with that neck injury.

Wesley Johnson has been surprisingly decent. I think they will be fine at that spot. LT is my biggest concern. Besides Clady (who has been on IR 3x in 3 years) they don't have an LT on the roster. 

I'm not sure what the issue is, everyone was fine, including me, evaluating Geno when his best WR was David Nelson. If Bryce Petty sucks it's because he sucks. If his line is failing him he should be smart enough to know where the outlet pass is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I'm not sure what the issue is, everyone was fine, including me, evaluating Geno when his best WR was David Nelson. If Bryce Petty sucks it's because he sucks. If his line is failing him he should be smart enough to know where the outlet pass is.

this is actually a great point 

for years Jets fans have been focused on improving the weaponz or the line to help the young QB. What we've forgotten is that a legit Qb succeeds no matter who is around him. A guy that needs everything to be perfect to have a functional offense isn't a real QB.  

53 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wesley Johnson has been surprisingly decent. I think they will be fine at that spot. LT is my biggest concern. Besides Clady (who has been on IR 3x in 3 years) they don't have an LT on the roster. 

I do think he has been a solid replacement but I'm not sold on him for a long term option just yet.  I'd still like to see us draft one this year if there are worthy prospects when we pick.  But LT is absolutely the biggest need on the OL

7 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

this year if there are worthy prospects when we pick.  But LT is absolutely the biggest need on the OL

there are no LT in the draft worth a top 10 pick, that is fairly easy to predict at this point. 

and it's hard to find LT outside of the first round, that's also backed up by history. 

assuming they move on from Clady they probably have to sign a FA like Matt Kalil or Luke Joeckel. Maybe Whitworth on a short term deal but he's wearing down too.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there are no LT in the draft worth a top 10 pick, that is fairly easy to predict at this point. 

and it's hard to find LT outside of the first round, that's also backed up by history. 

assuming they move on from Clady they probably have to sign a FA like Matt Kalil or Luke Joeckel. Maybe Whitworth on a short term deal but he's wearing down too.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/left-tackle/

I haven't started to look at the draft prospects yet so this is a real bummer to hear :(  Hoping Macc and his team have a good idea how they will approach this

2 hours ago, peebag said:

dear god...is this true?

"Head Coach Todd Bowles told the media that rookie right tackle Brandon Shell would get the nod if Brent Qvale can’t go, but whoever it is will be facing Cameron Wake, the Dolphins best pass-rusher, and neither is good enough to neutralize him consistently.  Look for a multi-sack day out of Wake"

And who has the Dolphins defense in the Fantasy Football playoffs?

Boom.

SAR I

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Most rookie QBs have to deal with a weak supporting cast. At least Petty has some decent WRs to target and either Powell or Forte in the backfield. Not ideal, but sometimes you can tell a lot about a QB from the way he handles adversity. 

He passed the first adversity test with flying colors in my opinion

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Seriously, J, you need to stop.  Give the kid his due; he made several clutch catches that in traffic.  Did he drop a few? Yes he did.  I know you already know this but I will say it anyway. HE....IS....A.....ROOKIE (An undrafted one at that).  He needs to get better but seriously, give the guy a break.  

He gets open on most plays, so I do give him that. could've very easily had 300+ receiving yards in the last two games alone as he dropped a few deep bombs. Im not on his case though. He's probably our best player from this draft. 

Archived