Our New York Jets question of the week deals with (what else?) the quarterback position. Do they draft one for the fifth straight year?

@RichCimini: I'd be very surprised if the Jets draft another quarterback in the first or second round, Kelvin. If they do that, it would be an admission from general manager Mike Maccagnan that he botched the Christian Hackenbergpick. If they give up on Hackenberg after one year, without seeing him in game action, it would go down as one of the biggest draft blunders in Jets history. Basically, Maccagnan would be telling the world, "I'm lousy at my job." He was a second-round pick, for crying out loud. When you pick a guy that high, the expectation is that he's a future starter.

The Carolina Panthers found themselves in a similar situation a few years back. In 2010, they used a second-round pick on Jimmy Clausen, who went 1-9 as a rookie and pretty much stunk. In 2011, they bailed on Clausen and took another quarterback -- except the quarterback was Cam Newton and he was the No. 1 pick in the draft. They had to do it; they couldn't pass up a franchise quarterback. In retrospect, it was the right move.

There will be no Cam Newtons in this year's draft. If there is, he'd certainly be gone by the time the Jets are picking, somewhere in the No. 4 to No. 7 range. The top three guys are Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina), DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame) and Deshaun Watson (Clemson). I bet one or two of these guys sneak into the top 10, just because of supply and demand, but buyer beware: It's fool's gold. Maccagnan would have to be really down on Hackenberg to invest a first-round pick on one of these prospects.

Trubisky, a no-name at the start of the season, has elevated his stock the most. He's the current flavor of the month, but he still hasn't declared for the draft and I know the Jets haven't done much homework on him. Trubisky has some upside, but he has only 12 collegiate starts, meaning he's a project.

How many projects does one GM get to have?

Maccagnan doesn't have a great batting average when it comes to quarterback decisions. Let's break them down:

1. Acquiring Ryan Fitzpatrick for a sixth-round pick (2015): Terrific move. It won him the NFL Executive of the Year award.

2. Drafting Bryce Petty in the fourth round (2015): He won't be the opening-day starter in 2017, but he can validate the pick if he becomes a reliable No. 2.

3. Drafting Hackenberg in the second (2016): A highly questionable choice at this point.

4. Re-signing Fitzpatrick for $12 million (2016): This decision backfired in disastrous fashion.

Maccagnan is out of mulligans. The Jets have too many other needs to invest another high pick in a quarterback.