Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

Rocket arm, doesn't panic with chaos around him, accurate on sideline throws, fearless style of play, has obvious chemistry with Anderson, which tells me he can develop that sixth sense connection with WRs with enough practice.

The wake pick was a rookie mistake, but he did try to pull the throw back, the other was a slightly underthrowb deep ball 

with more coahing and pratice time I'd rather have this guy out there than fits or geno 

and really, he probably looks better than any jets qb since farve 

I'm tentatively optimistic boredering on excited 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Rocket arm, doesn't panic with chaos around him, accurate on sideline throws, fearless style of play, has obvious chemistry with Anderson, which tells me he can develop that sixth sense connection with WRs with enough practice.

The wake pick was a rookie mistake, but he did try to pull the throw back, the other was a slightly underthrowb deep ball 

with more coahing and pratice time I'd rather have this guy out there than fits or geno 

and really, he probably looks better than any jets qb since farve 

I'm tentatively optimistic boredering on excited 

I agree & he got very little help. The Oline was atrocious (maybe one of the worst I've witnessed), Marshall has mailed it in, I honestly believe we should cut him or try to move him for a late pick. He won't be around for any turnaround. The secondary is so bad it's more important to use funds from someone like Marshall on the defensive side of the ball or the Oline.

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think he does show potential. My hope is that he and Hackenberg will be our QBs next season.

They're the only guys under contract next season, so they'll both be back. They won't be the only ones, though. Whether it's a vet or a draft pick this team will need another QB at some point. 

I think what we're seeing with Petty is what you see with a lot of projects pressed into service early. The reps are obviously a good thing, but he's going to have ups and downs like any young QB. Not sure he's done enough to warrant anything more than being a competitor in a QB throw down in 2017 camp. 

19 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I'm tentatively optimistic 

As am I.  

But I don't think Macc and Bowles are tbqh.  I get a distinct feeling this exercise is lost season fan service more than anything else.  

And that Petty won't be competing for the #1 spot next year.

The further we go, the more I get a "we sign a Hoyer-alike and draft another QB, and Petty is the odd man out" feeling.

Not saying I agree with that (I don't) but it feels like that's where we're headed.

Personally, I think Petty did as well as he could under some very difficult circumstances and with little to no help other than Powell.

Is there word yet on how badly he's hurt?

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They're the only guys under contract next season, so they'll both be back. They won't be the only ones, though. Whether it's a vet or a draft pick this team will need another QB at some point. 

I think what we're seeing with Petty is what you see with a lot of projects pressed into service early. The reps are obviously a good thing, but he's going to have ups and downs like any young QB. Not sure he's done enough to warrant anything more than being a competitor in a QB throw down in 2017 camp. 

I agree that he has only shown that he could be in the mix next season.  I love his arm, but his pocket awareness has to improve with experience.  I just hope that he and Hackenberg earn the right to be 1 and 2 on the QB depth chart (in what ever order). My preferance for the draft is Oline and an offensive playmaker in the early rounds to help QB development.

I'm pleased with what I've seen from Petty so far, also pleased with the positivity shown here.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that there is no worse place to validate a young quarterback than garbage time in a garbage season.  Let's all remember this when the media narrative talks about how he ended the season 0-4 as a starter.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As am I.  

But I don't think Macc and Bowles are tbqh.  I get a distinct feeling this exercise is lost season fan service more than anything else.  

The further we go, the more I get a "we sign a Hoyer-alike and draft another QB, and Petty is the odd man out" feeling.

Not saying I agree with that (I don't) but it feels like that's where we're headed.

Personally, I think Petty did as well as he could under some very difficult circumstances and with little to no help other than Powell.

Little to no help other than Powell is false. 

Just now, drdetroit said:

If Petty looks good for a fourth round pick does that mean he would suck if he was a first or second round pick?

Yes, because you would expect a guy in that spot to be NFL ready in a shorter time frame.  Petty was viewed by many as a multi-year project.  Right now, he looks like a multi-year project with some positive attributes.

For what he is and what we've seen from him, I'll take it.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, because you would expect a guy in that spot to be NFL ready in a shorter time frame.  Petty was viewed by many as a multi-year project.  Right now, he looks like a multi-year project with some positive attributes.

For what he is and what we've seen from him, I'll take it.

It is his second season so the multi year project has happened.  How many years does Petty need to be able to make pre-snap reads? 10?

Fitzpatrick doesn't get sacked or hit nearly as much behind the same O-line. Some of you are going to have to come to terms with some of these hits and sacks being a current Petty deficiency....and not entirely an O-line deficiency. Unlike Fitz, Petty is struggling to get the protections right I'm hopeful for the kid, but he's still not ready to lead an NFL offense.

Just now, August said:

I agree with the coaching to an extent but we have more than enough weapons between Marshall, Enunwa, Powell, Forte, ASJ, and Anderson and Peake. 

I dunno man, until he gets the chance to play with at least two more OCs and a half-dozen more WRs, just no way to tell if hes the real deal or not

33 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

It is his second season so the multi year project has happened.  How many years does Petty need to be able to make pre-snap reads? 10?

He pretty consistently made the correct read, actually. Dungy mentioned it numerous times. Your trolling on this single issue is tiresome.He has shown some solid flashes of being a potential franchise guy. He probably needs a full slate of games to really emerge as a franchise guy but will play winning football before then. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

He pretty consistently made the correct read, actually. Dungy mentioned it numerous times. Your trolling on this single issue is tiresome.He has shown some solid flashes of being a potential franchise guy. He probably needs a full slate of games to really emerge as a franchise guy but will play winning football before then. 

All he's shown is that he's earned the right to compete for the job next year. 

Just now, August said:

All he's shown is that he's earned the right to compete for the job next year. 

Compete with who? Hack? Or some broke down journeyman veteran that will continue the cycle of mediocrity? Holy hell, he is already playing as well as Fitz, who ALWAYS gets a pass, and yet people here want Petty to be practically perfect in his 2nd start getting first team reps. I think he has been very solid actually. Teams get franchise QBs by committing to young players. He has improved each week. If that continues, commit to him in 2017 and get him the reps, and OL help he needs to succeed.

I remember once reading somewhere that the rule of thumb for a new starting Qb was 12 starts until things started slowing down for them. And you could more accurately then evaluate them. Last night obviously the blocking schemes were horrendous and the guy almost was killed. But so far to me I see a Qb in Petty who at times can make plays and move the ball but can he be consistent enough to be a starter. And that means fewer mistakes. He had 3 turnovers last night including red zone TOS. Right now I'm thinking he's an NFL backup based on what I've seen. A guy who can move a team and make plays if called on but not on a long term basis. Hopefully he's ok and can play the next two weeks. But I don't see the team going into 2017 and naming him the starter. I'd go out and get a proven vet Qb. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

As am I.  

I think the exact same.  

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Compete with who? Hack? Or some broke down journeyman veteran that will continue the cycle of mediocrity? Holy hell, he is already playing as well as Fitz, who ALWAYS gets a pass, and yet people here want Petty to be practically perfect in his 2nd start getting first team reps. I think he has been very solid actually. Teams get franchise QBs by committing to young players. He has improved each week. If that continues, commit to him in 2017 and get him the reps, and OL help he needs to succeed.

He hasn't played good enough to warrant handing him the job next year. And no one is saying he needs to be perfect either. He has shown some flashes but if we're being realistic he hasn't been THAT good. We still need another QB. 

Archived