Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

If Petty looks good for a fourth round pick does that mean he would suck if he was a first or second round pick?

Yes, but the key is right.  1st round pick should be more polished and have command of the pro game in his second season.  Petty just needs to show improvement.  Ultimately they could wind up on equal footing 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, August said:

He hasn't played good enough to warrant handing him the job next year. And no one is saying he needs to be perfect either. He has shown some flashes but if we're being realistic he hasn't been THAT good. We still need another QB. 

A veteran QB? No we do not. Go with Petty. If he fails go with Hack. Playing some useless veteran to MAYBE win an extra game on this team is completely idiotic. The Jets need to go all in at QB. Period. Anything else will just continue the cycle.

Wow, what hell is wrong with this fan base? Russell Wilson threw 3 picks 2 weeks ago. Did you actually see the limited time Petty got last night,lol. He got hit a few times after catching the snap. He got hit a few times from the time he took the snap & 2 seconds he had to dump it to Powell. He got hurt getting crushed by two guys literally untouched with a direct path to him!

The NY Jets right now have the worst, least experienced LT & RT in the entire NFL! Even the Browns QBs play behind an all pro LT. Petty showed grit, a GREAT OUT pass, pretty good touch on his dumpoffs, and he moves pretty good for a 230LB QB. Those short arm throws come from inexperience & thinking too much. He threw 2 longer passes where he was short, but how many times have you seen Rogers or Brady throw short on those sideline plays & the WRs come back to the ball & get PI calls? The throw down the right sideline early in the game to Marshall was on the money & how the f*ck that was not PI is a f*cking mystery! That CB held him, arm barred him, hooked him & literally was all over Marshall. You know what bothered me the most about that play? Not one peep out of Marshall, if that was Antonio Brown or Edelman they would have been campaigning for a PI call. I'm telling you Marshall has packed his bags, his buddy has been benched. Cut him, let Peake get some run.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I'm pleased with what I've seen from Petty so far, also pleased with the positivity shown here.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that there is no worse place to validate a young quarterback than garbage time in a garbage season.  Let's all remember this when the media narrative talks about how he ended the season 0-4 as a starter.

SAR I

getting his ass handed to him on virtually every snap because of a D league OL let us not forget.

Petty can make every throw. If he has time to throw it where he wants to we'll torch many teams.

It's fun to watch him have fun. I'd build a team around Petty for sure unless he has major mental flaws.

Remember Sanchez needed red light/green light cues early on. In the end he routinely lobbed INTs to defensive linemen.

Every great QB has thrown brainflub picks like Petty last night. He deserves more time before they close the book on him.

Just now, jetrider said:

Petty can make every throw. If he has time to throw it where he wants to we'll torch many teams.

It's fun to watch him have fun. I'd build a team around Petty for sure unless he has major mental flaws.

Remember Sanchez needed red light/green light cues early on. In the end he routinely lobbed INTs to defensive linemen.

Every great QB has thrown brainflub picks like Petty last night. He deserves more time before they close the book on him.

Agreed.

I find it interesting that alot of the same folks who didn't think they'd seen enough of Sanchez (in five seasons and 62 started games) or Geno (after four seasons and 34 games) now are our most adamant "we've seen enough of Petty, he sucks" opinion makers.....after 3 starts and 2 back up appearances.

Third NFL start and he was successfully changing up the play at the line, and created multiple off-sides on hardcount. Plenty of zip ion the ball. In the second half he started trying to force the long ball due to scoreboard, while getting killed by absent O-line. One bad decision on first half INT.

Hope hit did not end his season because I would really like to see him up against Pats and Bills.

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

A veteran QB? No we do not. Go with Petty. If he fails go with Hack. Playing some useless veteran to MAYBE win an extra game on this team is completely idiotic. The Jets need to go all in at QB. Period. Anything else will just continue the cycle.

Right but it goes back to my original point. Petty hasn't shown enough to warrant giving him the job in '17, and Hackenberg is a complete unknown. We need an experienced QB in the mix. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

He pretty consistently made the correct read, actually. Dungy mentioned it numerous times. Your trolling on this single issue is tiresome.He has shown some solid flashes of being a potential franchise guy. He probably needs a full slate of games to really emerge as a franchise guy but will play winning football before then. 

You guys are really overrating Petty so far.  He's been fair at best

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I find it interesting that alot of the same folks who didn't think they'd seen enough of Sanchez (in five seasons and 62 started games) or Geno (after four seasons and 34 games) now are our most adamant "we've seen enough of Petty, he sucks" opinion makers.....after 3 starts and 2 back up appearances.

Never said Petty sucks.  I'm just not as impressed as the homers are  Hey you were the guy saying we needed to stick with Fitz I was screaming for Petty to start weeks ago so we could see more of him

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Compete with who? Hack? Or some broke down journeyman veteran that will continue the cycle of mediocrity? Holy hell, he is already playing as well as Fitz, who ALWAYS gets a pass, and yet people here want Petty to be practically perfect in his 2nd start getting first team reps. I think he has been very solid actually. Teams get franchise QBs by committing to young players. He has improved each week. If that continues, commit to him in 2017 and get him the reps, and OL help he needs to succeed.

Fitz is a bottom level starter and arguably possesses better pocket presence,  mobility and anticipation than Petty.  So Petty isnt even better than Fitz.  To this point Bryce registers a 64 QB rating and 1:2 TD/INT ratio.  This is an absurdly poor record by rookie let alone by second year standards.  I could understand if Petty didn't have receivers that could beat coverage or a running game or a line but he has all 3 and keeps missing throws.

Just because Petty made some right reads doesn't mean he is ready to start next year.  He isn't.  Any coach that goes into next year trying to start a QB that registers a 60 something QB rating alongside Marshall and Anderson is setting themselves up for failure. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Rocket arm, doesn't panic with chaos around him, accurate on sideline throws, fearless style of play, has obvious chemistry with Anderson, which tells me he can develop that sixth sense connection with WRs with enough practice.

The wake pick was a rookie mistake, but he did try to pull the throw back, the other was a slightly underthrowb deep ball 

with more coahing and pratice time I'd rather have this guy out there than fits or geno 

and really, he probably looks better than any jets qb since farve 

I'm tentatively optimistic boredering on excited 

Tell you this.. He is a tough son of a gun. That hit he took made me wake up with a bruise. I could root for this kid. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

Rocket arm, doesn't panic with chaos around him, accurate on sideline throws, fearless style of play, has obvious chemistry with Anderson, which tells me he can develop that sixth sense connection with WRs with enough practice.

The wake pick was a rookie mistake, but he did try to pull the throw back, the other was a slightly underthrowb deep ball 

with more coahing and pratice time I'd rather have this guy out there than fits or geno 

I Agree 100%. You have to look at what we seen last year and to see what he is this year. A great improvement. We did not see that with either Sanchez or Geno. These critics on this board can't understand that this was just his third game starting in the NFL. Even Peytons first full year was not a good year. What I see is a definite starter in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, elgoman said:

Fitz is a bottom level starter and arguably possesses better pocket presence,  mobility and anticipation than Petty.  So Petty isnt even better than Fitz.  To this point Bryce registers a 64 QB rating and 1:2 TD/INT ratio.  This is an absurdly poor record by rookie let alone by second year standards.  Just because Petty made some right reads doesn't mean he is ready to start next year.  He isn't.  

Pocket presence and anticipation come with experience. How many games has Fitz played in his carreer? I don't really think you can talk in terms of rookie vs second year. Petty was in his third NFL start 4th appearance.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm pleased with what I've seen from Petty so far, also pleased with the positivity shown here.  Sometimes it's easy to forget that there is no worse place to validate a young quarterback than garbage time in a garbage season.  Let's all remember this when the media narrative talks about how he ended the season 0-4 as a starter.

SAR I

I will applaud him if we go 0-4. He can learn to be a better QB without crapping onto useless wins that eventually cost us s better player in the draft? Means he loves us. 

11 minutes ago, elgoman said:

Fitz is a bottom level starter and arguably possesses better pocket presence,  mobility and anticipation than Petty.  So Petty isnt even better than Fitz.  To this point Bryce registers a 64 QB rating and 1:2 TD/INT ratio.  This is an absurdly poor record by rookie let alone by second year standards.  I could understand if Petty didn't have receivers that could beat coverage or a running game or a line but he has all 3 and keeps missing throws.

Just because Petty made some right reads doesn't mean he is ready to start next year.  He isn't.  Any coach that goes into next year trying to start a QB that registers a 60 something QB rating alongside Marshall and Anderson is setting themselves up for failure. 

Jets fans are really in love with Petty because it's fun to watch a QB who can actually throw after watching Fitzgarbage dink and dunk all season long

We need to sign a veteran or draft a Qb to compete for the starter job next season

1 minute ago, 20andOut said:

Pocket presence and anticipation come with experience. How many games has Fitz played in his carreer? I don't really think you can talk in terms of rookie vs second year. Petty was in his third NFL start 4th appearance.

Kessler has less experience  yet similar pocket presence and greater anticipation than Fitz.  Experience contributes but a QB in their 2nd year should show signs of having it. Kessler showed it in his 1st few starts this year and Petty hasn't in his 2nd.  

We talk about Petty's second year because this is his 2nd year just like this year is like Osweiler's 5th or what have you.  Neither QB is a rookie. 

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Two throws bothered me. Underthrew the deep ball to Marshall who had 2 steps. Underthrew deep to Anderson who had two steps and it was picked. 

He's young so long sustainable drives where you make good decisions is difficult. But when you hang your hat on being able to get it deep, you have to hit those plays. 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dan LeBetard is pissed at dinking and dunking in the NFL. I think Brady is the leader of that

Brady can also throw downfield if he wants.  Brady is great at dinking and dunking because he has 3-4 really shifty receivers running in different directions and he knows where all of them are and goes through progressions

Fitz just threw to Marshall

Just now, drdetroit said:

Brady can also throw downfield if he wants.  Brady is great at dinking and dunking because he has 3-4 really shifty receivers running in different directions and he knows where all of them are and goes through progressions

Fitz just threw to Marshall

He went through a period where Brady's deep ball wasn't good.

2 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Back up material, but as now that is about it.  Even Brooks Bolinger had a few decent moments. 

Unlike Bollinger Petty is actually athletic enough to be in the NFL.  That said his performance has been semi-decent so far he was just ok facing a horrible niners team.  OL sucked yesterday but Petty couldn't recognize blitzes the Dolphins were using over and over again

As of right now he's a serviceable backup, however he still has potential to be a good starter. He's missing some things and making mistakes but his reads led to checks where he was able to find the single coverage. He also audibled one play because he saw the blitz only to have Enunwa whiff on the hot route and he had to wait and took the sack. 

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

As of right now he's a serviceable backup, however he still has potential to be a good starter. He's missing some things and making mistakes but his reads led to checks where he was able to find the single coverage. He also audibled one play because he saw the blitz only to have Enunwa whiff on the hot route and he had to wait and took the sack. 

I know different subject but it was the 4th and goal play in the red zone last night Fitz had it was either Anderson or Peake WIDE OPEN in the end zone on an out route and he didn't see it because he just tried to force it to marshall

Based on the opinions I'm seeing here regarding Pettys 3rd start with literally no left or right tackle to speak of, a whacky WR that's checked out, a rehabbing alcoholic TE who can't catch & is dumb as a pile of bricks, some of you would have traded Steve Young or Steve McNair, just saying.

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

Oh look...someone with good sense. I'm shocked. My heart rate nearly spiked up reading this.

People expected this kid to come in here  and play like he was Brett Favre in the flesh and that simply isn't going to happen in this third start he had no left tackle and no right tackle he got crushed left and right(ironically) while still making intelligent throws with barely any time to think in order to make them. he was confident and calm.  Again for the third time showed poise in the pocket. he threw  Robbie a rocket 40 yard pass then came back and hit Quincy on the 28 yarder he also check down to Powell a lot but would you expect the Kid has no security blanket in his tight end.  And it's not like the check downs were all that terriblec,people act like it was just a horrible thing but he was actually choosing the right time is to hit Powell. The game plan had to change when defenders were coming in untouched. Chan had the try to make the defenders pay for being over aggressive that was the reason for the screen passes that's playcalling and that has nothing to do with Petty. But what does have to do with him is the fact that he executed more than not on those plays he also had a great two minute drill they didn't get the touchdown but they still got three he led them all the way down the field passes left and right any other fourth round quarterback in the second year with three starts probably would've got stalled around the 50 yard line.

Archived