Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's shown me enough to think he can be a long term solution to #2 quarterback.

He's also shown me enough to think he has the potential to be a starter.

It's up to him to get the x's and o's down.

TBH, I prefer Hack as a prospect.  

If nothing else going with Petty and Hack next year guarantees Hack playing time because Petty is made of glass.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

If nothing else going with Petty and Hack next year guarantees Hack playing time because Petty is made of glass.

Made of glass!!!? Andre The Giant would of got sawed in half on Cam Wake hit. Stooop.

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

It is his second season so the multi year project has happened.  How many years does Petty need to be able to make pre-snap reads? 10?

OH I FORGOT!  You are one of the NFL gurus that say that 3 starts in two seasons is enough to know he is garbage! 

BTW, Bill Walsh and his 24 starts says hi

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty holds onto the ball too long he throws aimlessly downfield he's not picking up the defensive coverages and he seems to hesitate in making a decision. 

I want this kid to be the guy but there's a lot of question marks so far. 

3 starts

Coming from about as non-NFL college offense as there is.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fair enough and agree, what positives have you seen.

Good arm

Seems a natural leader

Hustle and heart (I think of that 2-point conversion in SF)

Poise (but is staying in the pocket a little too long when we know he has the legs to make plays)

The 4 things you can't teach a QB.  He needs more time in actual NFL action to let the game slow down and come to him.

Look, the guy's going to get hit.

He's got to be able to get back up or he's worthless.

I like what I see from him but, some players just don't have the dna to take the kind of hits that NFL defenders dish out.

There are a lot of guys that just couldn't stay healthy.

Petty is real deal.  I think it will be a QB competition with Hack next summer and Petty will win.

Get use to it.....petty here to stay.

We definately need a new OL .  I liked what I saw in Shell but he made some huge blunders.  On the strip sack I have no idea why he would let his guy go unblocked like that...no way that was on Petty.  Ben on the other side killed the next drive where petty threw nice dart to b marshal....those 2 plays took all the momentum the jeta had..not too mention afyer the penalty chan calls 2 straight screens why not try push down field?

That let miami into the game and they scored.

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Seriously?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I like what I see from him but, some players just don't have the dna to take the kind of hits that NFL defenders dish out.

And he did get back up. He got back up a lot and did wht he had to do in the pocket but that last hit...it probably wasn't humanly possible to not get hurt lol. Apparently he's okay though. No broken bones...just had wind knocked out and coaches were weary. So idk even know why his "DNA" is in discussion if he didn't even suffer a real injury 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

FWIW the two hits that knocked him out were nasty hits and not run of the mill knocks.

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

3 starts

Coming from about as non-NFL college offense as there is.

Dude, you're too bright to get away with this kind of garbage. NFL vs College offense has nothing to do with touch, accuracy and ball location. Petty is never going to develop those things. He has them or he doesn't. That's the difference between him and drew brees. Or any other succesful NFL QB. they all have those skills. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Dude, you're too bright to get away with this kind of garbage. NFL vs College offense has nothing to do with touch, accuracy and ball location. Petty is never going to develop those things. He has them or he doesn't. That's the difference between him and drew brees. Or any other succesful NFL QB. they all have those skills. 

Coming from a Geno supporter...... can't make this stuff up

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Two throws bothered me. Underthrew the deep ball to Marshall who had 2 steps. Underthrew deep to Anderson who had two steps and it was picked. 

He's young so long sustainable drives where you make good decisions is difficult. But when you hang your hat on being able to get it deep, you have to hit those plays. 

I think we have to consider the fact that the previous two weeks, he had been overthrowing guys. The short balls we're bad, but it did seem to indicate that he was addressing a previous problem. Being a Jets fan, it's been a loooooong time since I've seen a QB progress, but this may actually be what that looks like. lol

27 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Petty is real deal.  I think it will be a QB competition with Hack next summer and Petty will win.

Get use to it.....petty here to stay.

We definately need a new OL .  I liked what I saw in Shell but he made some huge blunders.  On the strip sack I have no idea why he would let his guy go unblocked like that...no way that was on Petty.  Ben on the other side killed the next drive where petty threw nice dart to b marshal....those 2 plays took all the momentum the jeta had..not too mention afyer the penalty chan calls 2 straight screens why not try push down field?

That let miami into the game and they scored.

We need to draft OL the way they vote in Chicago... early and often.

Fish adjusted at halftime. 

In the first half the Jets outgained Miami by a significant margin 200 vs 120 or something and were probably unlucky to be behind.

Petty looked good in hurry up offence when the defence had no chance to adjust or make changes at LOS.

He missed a couple of open guys but that's hardly unique to Petty.

Coming from college Petty has no or minimal experience reading defenses and making adjustments at LOS under center, similar to Goff.

Can see why Bowles didn't want to play him as after they have called in the play he is on his own, and if he gets it wrong he ends up making everyone look bad.

Teams now have a blueprint to make his last couple of games pretty horrible, Petty has had nearly 2 years to learn the game so not sure if he'll make it but we should get an idea over last 2 games.

Bowles not throwing anyone under the bus which is good. Hopefully Petty will show some progress next week.

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

the fck is that supposed to mean? This msg board is riddled with too much of this ^^ crap. 

It means that Geno sucked for 3 years, and somehow was going to magically become good in year 4 according to all you Geno fanboys. Yet Petty has 3 starts and if he is not Brady he will never amount to squat.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think the main thing to keep in mind when comparing him to other young starting QBs is that they had the reps all camp and preseason.  Petty was 3rd on the depth chart.  That is huge.  

And couldn't practice the first 8 weeks of the season due to injury

It means that Geno sucked for 3 years, and somehow was going to magically become good in year 4 according to all you Geno fanboys. Yet Petty has 3 starts and if he is not Brady he will never amount to squat.

You're an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. There's always something to find to like if you're looking for it with a QB prospect. All of these guys always have a thing or two they do well, that's why they've made it to the NFL. They have an arm, or they're smart, or they're mobile...etc. But in terms of the total package and more importantly decision making I don't see it, and the numbers also say Petty has been pretty bad. If the Jets want to give Petty a shot for next year to make the roster that's fine but this team doesn't have the luxury of simply handing full years to anyone that shows promise. The Jets have been doing that for almost 10 years and it doesn't work. Enough with the promise and potential in he face of turning the ball over, and we just smile and say that's ok, do your job or get cut. 

Archived