Honestly think Petty looks dam good for a second year 4th rounder

nico002

5 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Thanks for the unneeded and sarcastic 'clarification'. Do you have anything of substance to add or is this pretty much it for you? Wait. Don't answer. I'm already bored by you.

Poor poor Geno's Myheroes Phil ... Your idol had plenty of real life, on the field history with his time here ... Sorry it didn't live up to your "when I wish upon a star" desires 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

waiting on your article so these guys can get a better idea of what they are talking about.

I was going to write it today because I had time, but the game film isn't up.  Maybe Bowles burned the tape, lol.  

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You should of seen his locker room interview. "We just couldn't connect" over and over again. Interviewer goes what is your thoughts of Petty and how he has improved..he goes look I'm not gong to stand up here and give you a whole assessment on petty . We have 4 wins and we all have played like garbage. He just doesn't wanna talk about Petty. He seems very salty.

I think Gailey's system is based on pre-snap reads, which looks at guys that are likely to be open vs. guys that may have better physical match ups.  When Petty was drafted, he said some of the things in the Gailey offense were similar to the offense he ran at Baylor, and one of those things is the pre-snap reads as to which option presents itself the most opportunity.  I think the whole system is based on finding the weakness in the defense and exploiting it, rather than finding your strength and exploiting it.  I think the ball gets spread out more, because defenses are still going to worry more about Marshall than Anderson or Enunwa.  

I remember last year, Fitzpatrick started out making better reads (may have been bad defenses in retrospect) but I'm wondering if the bond he formed with Marshall/Decker caused him to turn away from those reads.  Sort of like, hey you had my back when I wasn't here, so I'm going to start looking for you, even if the coverage indicates that I shouldn't, trusting them to bail him out.  

Again, this is my theory, but to run a good spread system, you have to equate it to building a super team in the NBA.  You can't have egos play a part because then the balance gets thrown off.  The reason the Spurs were so good for years were because their stars didn't mind stepping down for other guys if the match ups indicated so.  It's easier in college, because transfer rules delay your opportunity to get rich even further, so you put up with the system.  It's why guys like Michael Thomas look to have better stats in the NFL than college, because in college, they can dictate the QB to follow the system reads.  In the NFL, paychecks get in the way, and having a low target number means you aren't getting paid nearly the same as if you are heavily targeted.  

I think the reason they might not like Petty is because, it's really the only system he knows.  He's not a veteran like Fitz, who can bring in knowledge from other systems and abandon it at times.  Petty pretty much goes by the system, which usually rewards speed/shifty guys the most, which is why someone like Josh Gordon got outproduced by Kendall Wright at Baylor and then set the NFL on fire.  Or why someone like Michael Thomas is doing better in the pros this year than he did last year in college.  In his last year at Texas A & M, Malcom Kennedy has about 8 receptions less than Mike Evans.  That would be ridiculous.  Or Ryan Swope the year before, only ten less receptions.  

Petty could shine with a better oline, hard to have great pocket presence when you're getting demolished every play. Adding the best available olinemen via free agency needs to be the focal point of the offseason, add a few good olinemen draft one in the later rounds as well. Fournette,Marshon Lattimore or Quincy Wilson with the 1st round pick oline in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I was going to write it today because I had time, but the game film isn't up.  Maybe Bowles burned the tape, lol.  

I think Gailey's system is based on pre-snap reads, which looks at guys that are likely to be open vs. guys that may have better physical match ups.  When Petty was drafted, he said some of the things in the Gailey offense were similar to the offense he ran at Baylor, and one of those things is the pre-snap reads as to which option presents itself the most opportunity.  I think the whole system is based on finding the weakness in the defense and exploiting it, rather than finding your strength and exploiting it.  I think the ball gets spread out more, because defenses are still going to worry more about Marshall than Anderson or Enunwa.  

I remember last year, Fitzpatrick started out making better reads (may have been bad defenses in retrospect) but I'm wondering if the bond he formed with Marshall/Decker caused him to turn away from those reads.  Sort of like, hey you had my back when I wasn't here, so I'm going to start looking for you, even if the coverage indicates that I shouldn't, trusting them to bail him out.  

Again, this is my theory, but to run a good spread system, you have to equate it to building a super team in the NBA.  You can't have egos play a part because then the balance gets thrown off.  The reason the Spurs were so good for years were because their stars didn't mind stepping down for other guys if the match ups indicated so.  It's easier in college, because transfer rules delay your opportunity to get rich even further, so you put up with the system.  It's why guys like Michael Thomas look to have better stats in the NFL than college, because in college, they can dictate the QB to follow the system reads.  In the NFL, paychecks get in the way, and having a low target number means you aren't getting paid nearly the same as if you are heavily targeted.  

I think the reason they might not like Petty is because, it's really the only system he knows.  He's not a veteran like Fitz, who can bring in knowledge from other systems and abandon it at times.  Petty pretty much goes by the system, which usually rewards speed/shifty guys the most, which is why someone like Josh Gordon got outproduced by Kendall Wright at Baylor and then set the NFL on fire.  Or why someone like Michael Thomas is doing better in the pros this year than he did last year in college.  In his last year at Texas A & M, Malcom Kennedy has about 8 receptions less than Mike Evans.  That would be ridiculous.  Or Ryan Swope the year before, only ten less receptions.  

Just an excellent post!!

On a totally side note......

No I don't have a life that's why I'm out here at 4:00am in the morning :) 

The reality is Petty was drafted as a 3-4 year project with the expectation of being a back up, with the obvious hope he could be a franchise starter. Mac said this in a end of season interview last year.

So far, for year two and only his 3rd start I'm pleasantly suprised by some things and for the most part expected the mistakes ive been seeing. But hes got a lot of talent and moxie.

I never expected him to be a starter by year 2, so my expectations don't have me disappointed, in fact, a little more hopeful than I originally thought. 

On 12/18/2016 at 7:57 AM, nico002 said:

Rocket arm, doesn't panic with chaos around him, accurate on sideline throws, fearless style of play, has obvious chemistry with Anderson, which tells me he can develop that sixth sense connection with WRs with enough practice.

The wake pick was a rookie mistake, but he did try to pull the throw back, the other was a slightly underthrowb deep ball 

with more coahing and pratice time I'd rather have this guy out there than fits or geno 

and really, he probably looks better than any jets qb since farve 

I'm tentatively optimistic boredering on excited 

100000% agree

On 12/18/2016 at 8:05 AM, Jetster said:

I agree & he got very little help. The Oline was atrocious (maybe one of the worst I've witnessed), Marshall has mailed it in, I honestly believe we should cut him or try to move him for a late pick. He won't be around for any turnaround. The secondary is so bad it's more important to use funds from someone like Marshall on the defensive side of the ball or the Oline.

The o-line graded out the best unit on the field. The run blocking was solid and Petty caused a few sacks by holding the ball too long. The secondary is the worst in the league bar none and there should be no job safe back there. Even Wilkerson spoke out about this. I would definitely cut Revis and Pryor the day after the season ends. Heck they could do that today and no one would notice the difference except that maybe the players out there would show some effort.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

The o-line graded out the best unit on the field. 

Whomever issued that "grade" is living in a fantasy world.  The O-line was horrific.  

And for all the "cut Mangold" talk, the backup center clearly has issues with calling the O-line coverage and recognizing the defense, same as Petty (they're both young and learning).

Our rebuild needs to start at (IMO) Head Coach, the O-line and the DB's.  If we can make material headway in those spots, I can live with everything else (presuming the new Head Coach gets some motivation for our fat lazy D-line "studs").

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

Outside of OTA's that is usually difficult. In Petty's case it would be possible.  Robby Anderson lives in Teaneck.  Marshall spends a lot of time in the area because he wants to do the TV thing when he retires. 

Petty in the off-season might, or might not be,  the penciled in starter.  Think they will bring a vet in.  Will Marshall work out with him?.............Will Marshall  be on the team? (I think so)

I think the best thing Coach Bowles could do is call Petty the starter for next year at the end of this season.  The kid has done well enough (IMO) to get a full year under center with hopefully lots upgrades in the off season to surround him with. 

Build around Petty, Powell, and Anderson with some solid veterans and I think this offense would have TONS of potential.

The defense needs to be gutted all over.  Build around L. Williams and send Revis to safety.

24 minutes ago, stugotz81 said:

I think the best thing Coach Bowles could do is call Petty the starter for next year at the end of this season.

Dear God no.

Competition!!!!!

It's fine if Petty gets the chance to compete, vs. Hack, and (I hope) vs. another young QB with potential.

But naming a starter now? WTF would we do that?  Whats gained?  Nothing.

The only difference in the Dolphins game is they started hot and finished cold opposed to the other game where they started cold but finished hot. Petty WILL get better and he already is.  Think about the pre-season play up until now. Now take that and double it with a full offseason with knowing what to expect as a starter in this league coupled with a full 4 game 2017 preseason. He didn't know what the hell a NFL starting QB is suppose to be like in September and now in December he is flashing left and right. 

I think the best they can do for Petty and Hack is bring in some new coaching on offense side.  I am fine with Chan but I would like them to try and bring in a Callahan or like coach for OL and a TE,RB coaches best money can buy and a proven QB coach

then do the best you can via FA and Draft in all 3 positions.  I would not overdraft though in 1st 2 rounds though as they should continue on the route of BPA and let this new scouting dept find more Gems like Robbie Anderson, Dion Simon, Peake, Jalin Marshal, Wesley, and that DE we have on IR forget his name but I thought he looked real good.

on Defense side whether Bowles goes or not we need a proven defensive coordinator and coaching staff to help brings these lower drafted and udfa along faster.

Bill Parcells was successful because he always had the best staffs.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Dear God no.

Competition!!!!!

It's fine if Petty gets the chance to compete, vs. Hack, and (I hope) vs. another young QB with potential.

But naming a starter now? WTF would we do that?  Whats gained?  Nothing.

Because it gives the team direction and a sense of stability.  They can focus on building around him and let him to continue to develop in the off season.  

2 hours ago, stugotz81 said:

Because it gives the team direction and a sense of stability.  They can focus on building around him and let him to continue to develop in the off season.  

What's the direction?  For us to go 3-13 next season and get Lamar Jackson?

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

There's no such thing as "looking good for a 4th rounder". You either look good as an NFL player...or not.

I don't understand the petty infatuation.  The OL sucked last game Petty had one good drive it was the first drive where Gailey scripted everything except that one play he audibles to run which was a good job.  Other than that Petty was not good.

And he had an ok at best game against the 49ers who are a garbage team.  Bilal Powell doesn't go nuts in that game Petty is 0-3 as a starter

Just now, drdetroit said:

I don't understand the petty infatuation.  The OL sucked last game Petty had one good drive it was the first drive where Gailey scripted everything except that one play he audibles to run which was a good job.  Other than that Petty was not good.

And he had an ok at best game against the 49ers who are garbage team.  Bilal Powell doesn't go nuts in that game Petty is 0-3 as a starter

PFF says 2 of the highest 3 graded Jets in that game were OL. Ijalana and Shell

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

And it looks like Petty will get a crack against NE because all he had was a chest bruise.

Only way Petty is pencil'd in as the starter next season is if he wins the last 2 games or plays exceptionally well

Mac wants to keep his job

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just an excellent post!!

On a totally side note......

No I don't have a life that's why I'm out here at 4:00am in the morning :) 

Thanks. 

Lol, I'm actually nocturnal for the most part, so I do my best work at night, although that will change when I have to go back to the office job.  I start my film reviews at like midnight after my wife has gone to bed, so I can focus.  Unfortunately, the Fitz ones get so tiring that by the end, I'm just too tired to point out all the flaws.  At least, when I first started, it used to be about 400 words per on each gif at the start, then down to like 50 for the last one.  

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think the best they can do for Petty and Hack is bring in some new coaching on offense side.  I am fine with Chan but I would like them to try and bring in a Callahan or like coach for OL and a TE,RB coaches best money can buy and a proven QB coach

then do the best you can via FA and Draft in all 3 positions.  I would not overdraft though in 1st 2 rounds though as they should continue on the route of BPA and let this new scouting dept find more Gems like Robbie Anderson, Dion Simon, Peake, Jalin Marshal, Wesley, and that DE we have on IR forget his name but I thought he looked real good.

on Defense side whether Bowles goes or not we need a proven defensive coordinator and coaching staff to help brings these lower drafted and udfa along faster.

Bill Parcells was successful because he always had the best staffs.

I do think it's important to bring in some better coaches, especially on the defensive side.  

However, I think they need to bring in a WR coach, because they lack fundamentals at times.  We've gotten so used to it that we're excited when Anderson high points a ball.  Decker is actually technically sound, but I wish we had a coach that stressed fundamentals.   

When I first came here, one of my first posts was about hiring Kippy Brown (he retired I believe now), who was the WR coach for the Seahawks.  I'm not sure I've seen a more fundamentally sound team in terms of WRs.  They consistently used their body to shield defenders from the ball, caught the ball with their hands, set their feet near the sideline, came back for passes, etc.  We play like they are out there playing catch, isolating the ball and their route, and nothing else.  They play like it's a game, where they set up the defender mid route.  The video I used to make my point got taken down, but one of the things I've noticed is that, they slow down or deviate from their route slightly while the ball is in the air, and then speed up or correct their route at the end (on deep passes) because the defender doesn't know where the ball is.  So he's following the receiver, thus that late movement (be it speed or direction) creates enough separation that defenders can't consistently block the ball at the last minute.  It has a lot to do with timing with the QB (which our coaching staff seems to think if useless apparently) and knowing when the ball is going to arrive at a certain spot.  

On 18 December 2016 at 5:33 PM, joewilly12 said:

Fair enough and agree, what positives have you seen.

Didn't see the game on Saturday and only just brought myself to watch the first half. Was very impressed with how he drew at least 3 encroachment penalties with an impressive hard count, for such an inexperienced QB who played in a non-pro style offence those are little things but promising little things. He also had some very catchable balls dropped(the bomb to Marshall was perfectly thrown and the CB was hanging onto Brandon, should've been called PI). In general I think he shows more and more poise each week, the errors I'm seeing are correctable with reps and experience(Wake INT was just smart call by Miami and the sack on the 3 step drop he'll learn to throw away with experience) and he sure has as much arm talent as we've ever had in a QB. The strike to Robby was a thing of beauty. I like his patience and accuracy on the short throws, for a guy who can sling it downfield he doesn't mind reigning it in until the right moment. Sanchez had the touch of a sledgehammer on those short throws, I at least see some ability with Petty which once the game slows down a bit gives him a chance if we can protect him and give him weapons. 

All that said I've yet to see the 2nd half!

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

And he had an ok at best game against the 49ers who are a garbage team.  Bilal Powell doesn't go nuts in that game Petty is 0-3 as a starter

beats me...I think it's exasperation and the desire for this guy to finally be the guy. The amount of evidence to the contrary doesn't seem to matter. Same thing with Fitz and Geno.

Archived